- New George County storm shelters open Tuesday Updated: Dec-09-13 8:43 am
- NH ranks just below average on disaster prep Updated: Dec-09-13 4:34 am
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic Updated: Dec-08-13 10:34 pm
- Rutgers fires 3 assistants; AD supports Flood Updated: Dec-08-13 5:38 pm
- Illinois inmates aid tornado recovery efforts Updated: Dec-08-13 5:05 am
- Church houses marooned motorists from icy I-35 Updated: Dec-07-13 5:22 pm
- Highway crews prepare Va roads for storm Updated: Dec-07-13 5:04 pm
- Flood stage for Red River in Wahpeton increased Updated: Dec-07-13 4:20 pm
- Governor advises Virginians to prepare for storm Updated: Dec-06-13 5:04 pm
- Des Moines suspends tornado sirens due to weather Updated: Dec-06-13 3:07 pm
- Illinois tornado benefit concert raises $300,000 Updated: Dec-06-13 8:46 am
- Taylor Hall's hat trick leads Oilers over Avs 8-2 Updated: Dec-06-13 2:03 am
- Correction: Philippines-Typhoon story Updated: Dec-06-13 1:03 am
- Okla. gov. declares state of emergency for storm Updated: Dec-05-13 4:19 pm
- HUD will provide $63M for Colo. flood recovery Updated: Dec-05-13 2:49 pm
- INDOT prepares to treat roads before wintry storm Updated: Dec-05-13 2:44 pm
- Iowa board awards millions for flood protection Updated: Dec-05-13 1:46 pm
- Chicago Bears visit tornado damaged Illinois town Updated: Dec-05-13 11:09 am
- Purdue eyes broad uses for new disaster plan Updated: Dec-05-13 10:02 am
- Tornado communities brace for snow, ice Updated: Dec-05-13 7:55 am
- Review calls for better Illinois disaster response Updated: Dec-05-13 4:08 am
- Federal aid sought for tornado-hit C. Ind. county Updated: Dec-04-13 11:47 am
- Hawaii medical volunteers to head to Philippines Updated: Dec-03-13 9:05 am
- NW Mo. scout camp to get tornado shelters Updated: Dec-03-13 5:04 am
- Denver area teens donating $9K for disaster relief Updated: Dec-03-13 4:06 am
LUCEDALE, Mississippi - George County will officially open two new storm shelters Tuesday in Agricola and Benndale.
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire health officials say the state is improving its ability to protect people during disasters, but it could be doing more to prepare.
PHILADELPHIA - A powerful storm that crept across the country dropped snow, freezing rain and sleet on the Mid-Atlantic region and headed northeast Sunday, turning NFL playing fields in Pennsylvania into winter wonderlands, dumping a foot of snow in Delaware and threatening a messy Monday commute in the northeast corridor.
PISCATAWAY, New Jersey - Rutgers has fired defensive coordinator Dave Cohen, quarterbacks coach Rob Spence and offensive line coach Damian Wroblewski.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois state prison inmates are among those who have been taking part in recovery efforts after last month's deadly tornadoes.
SANGER, Texas - People forced off icy Interstate 35 in North Texas have been directed to several shelters set up quickly in the town of Sanger, about 40 miles north of Dallas.
RICHMOND, Virginia - State highways crews are treating roads in Virginia ahead of an expected ice storm.
FARGO, North Dakota - Officials say flood stage on the Red River in Wahpeton will be bumped up by 1 foot to reflect better permanent flood protection measures.
RICHMOND, Virginia - Gov. Bob McDonnell is urging Virginians to prepare for a possible major ice storm.
DES MOINES, Iowa - Des Moines is suspending its monthly test of tornado sirens because of the cold weather.
BLOOMINGTON, Illinois - Authorities say this week's benefit concert for Illinois tornado victims has raised about $300,000 for relief efforts.
EDMONTON, Alberta - It would be difficult to find a team much harder to figure out than the Edmonton Oilers.
TACLOBAN, Philippines - In a story Nov. 10 about Typhoon Haiyan, The Associated Press incorrectly reported that a tsunami in the south in 1976 killed 5,791 people. The actual number is 4,791 dead, according to a 1978 study by the Special Committee on Tsunami Warning System of the National Committee on Marine Sciences, National Science Development Board.
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin has declared a state of emergency for all 77 Oklahoma counties because of the winter storm crossing the state.
LYONS, Colorado - The federal government will provide$62.8 million to help individuals and communities rebuilding from flooding in northeastern Colorado.
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana Department of Transportation is preparing for freezing rain, sleet, ice and snow to hit parts of the state Thursday night and Friday.
DUBUQUE, Iowa - Dubuque has been awarded $98.5 million in state tax incentives for flood-prevention initiatives that will make it the largest infrastructure project in the city's history.
WASHINGTON, Illinois - More than a dozen Chicago Bears headed to central Illinois to help with cleanup efforts in the tornado-ravaged community of Washington and meet with members of the community's high school football team.
HAMMOND, Indiana - A Purdue University professor and her students have partnered with local emergency responders to develop a state-of-the-art system for managing disasters using the 2008 Munster flood as a model.
BROOKPORT, Illinois - Residents of a small southern Illinois community that's still recovering from last month's deadly tornadoes are bracing for another round of severe weather as a wintry storm pushes toward the region.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A review has found several shortfalls in Illinois' readiness to respond to disasters and emergencies.
INDIANAPOLIS - State officials are seeking a federal major disaster declaration for central Indiana's Howard County because of damage during last month's wave of tornadoes and severe storms.
HONOLULU - A group of Hawaii doctors, nurses and other medical volunteers will be traveling to the Philippines to help typhoon victims.
ST. JOSEPH, Missouri - A Boy Scout camp in northwest Missouri is getting help from the federal government to build 13 tornado shelters into hillsides.
LAKEWOOD, Colorado - Denver area high school students who won Katy Perry's lip-dub contest are donating over $9,000 to help Coloradans affected by disasters, including September's floods.