- Legionnaires' disease bacteria found in VA hospital water Updated: Nov-27-15 5:39 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Veterans Affairs officials say they've detected the bacteria that causes Legionnaires' disease in water samples at the Minneapolis hospital.
- Hungary: 2 suspects hoped to 'execute' government members Updated: Nov-27-15 3:14 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungarian officials said Friday that two suspects detained last week after weapons were found in their car sought to "execute" members of the government.
- Russia suspends visa-free travel with Turkey Updated: Nov-27-15 3:05 pm
MOSCOW - Russia announced Friday that it will suspend visa-free travel with Turkey amid the escalating spat over the downing of a Russian warplane by a Turkish fighter jet at the Syrian border.
- 2 Palestinians killed after attacking Israeli troops Updated: Nov-27-15 2:57 pm
JERUSALEM - Israeli troops shot and killed two Palestinians after they rammed their cars into soldiers in separate attacks in the West Bank on Friday as the country's defense minister urged Israelis to brace themselves for more violence, saying he cannot see an end to the near-daily Palestinian attacks.
- Tunisia, targeted anew, faces intelligence challenge Updated: Nov-27-15 1:47 pm
TUNIS, Tunisia - An attack by Islamic State militants on Tunisia's presidential guard has left this North African country, its economy and its democracy even more vulnerable just days before four Tunisians head to collect the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Canal-clogging weed spreads as regulations slow removal Updated: Nov-27-15 1:14 pm
SALEM, Oregon - An aquatic weed capable of clogging irrigation canals and other waterways is spreading along the Columbia River while the federal government is grappling with regulatory hurdles to remove it.
- EU turns to Turkey to help manage its migration woes Updated: Nov-27-15 10:38 am
BRUSSELS - Five years ago, Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi warned that millions of Africans wanted to come to the European Union and offered to make the continent's immigration problem disappear in exchange for billions of euros.
- Algerian military court convicts ex-counterespionage chief Updated: Nov-27-15 8:51 am
ALGIERS, Algeria - An Algerian military tribunal has convicted the nation's long-time counterespionage chief of breaching orders and destroying documents and sentenced him to five years in prison.
- Clark County leaders commit to helping veterans Updated: Nov-27-15 5:05 am
JEFFERSONVILLE, Indiana - United States Marine Corps Sgt. Will King was sitting in the Clark County jail when he first heard about the Veterans Court program in Floyd County.
- Russia, France agree to tighten cooperation against IS Updated: Nov-27-15 12:58 am
MOSCOW - The presidents of France and Russia agreed Thursday to tighten cooperation in the fight against the Islamic State group, although they remained at odds over their approach toward Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Japan ready to submit proposal for Australia submarine deal Updated: Nov-26-15 9:34 pm
TOKYO - Japan is set to bid on joint development and production of an Australian submarine, Tokyo's first major military transfer since the World War II.
- Oregon lawmaker's bill would regulate hobby drones Updated: Nov-26-15 5:32 pm
SALEM, Oregon - If you're planning to arm your hobby drone, your window is closing.
- Tourist ticketed for flying drone in Central Park Updated: Nov-26-15 5:26 pm
NEW YORK - Police say a 41-year-old Russian tourist and his 14-year-old son were flying a drone in Central Park and the father was ticketed.
- Turkey-Russia spat over downed Russian warplane escalates Updated: Nov-26-15 4:15 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - A tug-of-war over a Russian warplane downed by a Turkish fighter jet at the border with Syria escalated Thursday, with Moscow drafting a slew of economic sanctions against Turkey and the Turkish president defiantly declaring that his military will shoot down any new intruder.
- Rauner faces challenges in move to block Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-26-15 2:25 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner says his moratorium attempting to block Syrian refugees from resettling in Illinois is simply a request for the Obama administration to "take a deep breath" and tighten the review process to make sure Washington shares necessary information with the states.
- New Mexico Dem leader unsure on GOP driver's license fix Updated: Nov-26-15 1:44 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The ranking New Mexico House Democrat says he's not ready to support a GOP-sponsored proposal creating a "two-tier" driver's license system modeled after Utah.
- Israel tests missile to defend against airborne attacks Updated: Nov-26-15 1:32 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel's military says it has successfully tested an advanced surface-to-air missile that analysts believe could play a key role in securing the country's offshore gas fields.
- New Polish defense minister casts doubt on purchase plans Updated: Nov-26-15 9:27 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's new defense minister says the country may back out of plans to purchase French military helicopters and a U.S. Patriot missile system.
- Philippine forces kill 8 suspected to have IS sympathies Updated: Nov-26-15 8:57 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine marines killed eight suspected sympathizers of the Islamic State group in a clash in the southern Philippines on Thursday, seizing bomb-making equipment, assault rifles and black flags, military officials said.
- Nepal asks India to investigate shooting by border guards Updated: Nov-26-15 8:30 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Nepal asked India on Thursday to investigate a shooting by border guards that has wounded at least four people and to punish those involved.
- China in talks with Djibouti on establishing logistics base Updated: Nov-26-15 5:59 am
BEIJING - China said Thursday it is in talks with Djibouti about setting up a naval logistics center in the Horn of Africa nation to service Chinese anti-piracy patrols, raising the sensitive issue of whether Beijing will seek military bases overseas.
- Japan plans to deploy troops near disputed islands Updated: Nov-26-15 4:08 am
TOKYO - Japan's deputy defense minister met with the mayor of a southern island Thursday to seek his support for the planned deployment of hundreds of troops in the region including nearby disputed East China Sea islands.
- AP Interview: US must address waste, fraud in Afghan aid Updated: Nov-26-15 1:21 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - With Washington set to send billions of dollars in fresh aid to Afghanistan despite the military drawdown, the U.S. official in charge of auditing assistance programs says "it's not too late" to address the fraud and mismanagement that has bedeviled the 14-year effort to rebuild the country.
- F-16 fighter jet crashes on training mission; pilot safe Updated: Nov-25-15 5:37 pm
SALINAS PEAK, New Mexico - An F-16 fighter jet from an Air Force base in Arizona crashed Wednesday while on a training mission in New Mexico, but the pilot safely ejected, authorities said.
- Thousands of children crossed US-Mexico border in October Updated: Nov-25-15 5:02 pm
SAN ANTONIO - Nearly 5,000 unaccompanied immigrant children were caught illegally crossing the U.S. border with Mexico in October, almost double the number from October 2014, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection data.