- Emergency room at Topeka VA reopens Updated: Jun-29-15 7:20 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The emergency room at Topeka's Veterans Administration hospital is scheduled to reopen after being closed more than a year.
- Drone flying over Seattle parade crashes, strikes woman Updated: Jun-29-15 6:27 pm
SEATTLE - Seattle police say a 25-year-old woman was knocked unconscious when a small drone aircraft crashed into a building and fell, striking the woman in the head.
- Car bomb explodes near military hospital in Yemeni capital Updated: Jun-29-15 6:26 pm
SANAA, Yemen - A car bomb exploded behind a military hospital in the Yemeni capital on Monday, causing dozens of casualties including civilians, security officials said.
- Meeting to cover cleanup plan for former nuke missile site Updated: Jun-29-15 6:04 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plans to hold a public meeting about a proposal to use vegetable oil to stimulate the growth of naturally occurring bacteria that would clean up groundwater at a former nuclear missile site.
- Civil War soldier finally gets headstone in Brighton Updated: Jun-29-15 5:25 pm
BRIGHTON, Michigan - The Brighton Area Historical Society's headstone restoration team has honored the memory of Civil War soldier John Sylvan Prosser by installing a Veterans Affairs memorial headstone.
- 2nd child-abuse trial of former military couple nears end Updated: Jun-29-15 5:16 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Jurors heard closing arguments from attorneys Monday in the child abuse trial of a former Army major and his wife.
- Panel urges ex-Green Beret hero out of Army with VA benefits Updated: Jun-29-15 4:49 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - An Army officer who was accused of tracking down and killing an unarmed bomb-making suspect in Afghanistan is being recommended for an honorable discharge even though a military panel that looked into the case determined his conduct was unbecoming an officer.
- Bomb kills Egypt's top prosecutor as he drives to work Updated: Jun-29-15 4:48 pm
CAIRO - A car bomb killed Egypt's chief prosecutor Monday in the country's first assassination of a senior official in 25 years, marking what could be an escalation in a campaign by Islamic militants toward targeting leaders of a crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood.
- WikiLeaks says NSA spied on French business Updated: Jun-29-15 4:39 pm
- For world, limited options if Iran talks fall apart Updated: Jun-29-15 3:17 pm
CAIRO - The Iranian nuclear talks are playing out in classic fashion: A self-imposed deadline appears to have been extended due to stubborn disputes, with the sides publicly sticking to positions and facing internal pressure from opponents ready to pounce on any compromise.
- Sailor sentenced to 10 months for videos of female officers Updated: Jun-29-15 2:22 pm
MAYPORT NAVAL STATION, Florida - A submarine sailor pleaded guilty Monday to illegally videotaping female officers in the vessel's shower area and was sentenced to 10 months in a Navy brig.
- US program to train Syrian rebels losing ground Updated: Jun-29-15 1:56 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. military's program to train and equip thousands of moderate Syrian rebels is faltering, with fewer than 100 volunteers, raising questions about whether the effort can produce enough capable fighters quickly enough to make a difference in the war against the Islamic State.
- UK's Cameron promises wide, long-term response to terror Updated: Jun-29-15 5:47 am
LONDON - Prime Minister David Cameron on Monday pledged a wide response to extremism, describing Britain as being united in grief over the beach massacre in Tunisia.
- Vermont native achieves rank of Air Force brigadier general Updated: Jun-29-15 5:08 am
ESSEX, Vermont - A Vermont native was recently sworn in as a brigadier general in the U.S. Air Force with a little help from his dad.
- Tunisia struggles to find balanced response to terror Updated: Jun-29-15 4:57 am
TUNIS, Tunisia - Tunisia has reason to fear a terror attack. The only democracy that emerged from the turmoil of the 2011 Arab Spring has seen more of its young men join the Islamic State group than any other nation, and many have returned, battle-hardened, to spread radical ideologies back home. It's also a country full of vulnerable targets, with an economy that depends on welcoming European tourists to its warm Mediterranean shore.
- Columbus Zoo offers military families free admission Updated: Jun-28-15 2:16 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Active-duty and veteran military personnel and their families will be able to visit a zoo in central Ohio for free this week in recognition of their sacrifices in service to their country.
- Radford Army Ammunition Plant seeks burning permit renewal Updated: Jun-28-15 11:23 am
RADFORD, Virginia - The Radford Army Ammunition Plant has asked state regulators to renew its open burning permit.
- VA aims to help homeless, at-risk veterans find stable jobs Updated: Jun-28-15 11:02 am
CINCINNATI - David Bowles is excitedly making plans to move from a homeless shelter to an apartment of his own in a few weeks, thanks to a new Department of Veterans Affairs program helping homeless veterans find long-term employment.
- Testimony ends in profiling in border patrol suit in Ohio Updated: Jun-28-15 10:43 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - Testimony has wrapped up in a racial profiling lawsuit against the U.S. Border Patrol in northern Ohio.
- Gay activists in Asia upbeat about impact of US court ruling Updated: Jun-27-15 10:43 pm
Gay rights activists in Asia, where no country allows same-sex couples to legally marry, are upbeat about prospects for a change following the landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling legalizing such marriages in every state of the nation.
- Central Alabama VA freezes hiring amid budget shortfall Updated: Jun-27-15 1:02 pm
MONTGOMERGY, Alabama - The Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System has stopped hiring medical support staff as the department tries to cope with a $2.6 billion budget shortfall nationally.
- Once unheard of, US-Iran talks become the new normal Updated: Jun-27-15 11:54 am
VIENNA - The top American and Iranian diplomats faced each other across a square table in a 19th century Viennese palace, the room austerely decorated and the atmosphere calm as they started the final push for a generation-defining nuclear agreement on Saturday.
- Repeal of state-mandated stormwater fees to take effect Updated: Jun-27-15 9:43 am
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - New laws approved in Maryland's last legislative session are taking effect on July 1.
- UK beefs up security following bomb attack report Updated: Jun-27-15 9:16 am
LONDON - Security was stepped up at events marking Armed Forces Day across Britain, officials said Saturday amid a news report that officials foiled a bomb attack by the Islamic State group on a military parade in London.
- Research institute receives $21.6M U.S Air Force contract Updated: Jun-27-15 5:38 am
DAYTON, Ohio - A southwest Ohio college's research institute has been awarded a $21.6 million U.S Air Force contract for research and development in aerospace engine combustion technologies and components.