- Defense chief: Iraqis showed no will to fight at Ramadi Updated: May-24-15 5:37 pm
WASHINGTON - The Islamic State group's takeover of the provincial capital Ramadi is stark evidence that Iraqi forces lack the "will to fight," Defense Secretary Ash Carter said in a TV interview that aired Sunday. The harsh assessment raised new questions about the Obama administration's strategy to defeat the extremist group that has seized a strategically important swath of the Middle East.
- Astronaut's visit excites Ketchikan students Updated: May-24-15 4:56 pm
KETCHIKAN, Alaska - It takes approximately eight minutes and 52 seconds for a shuttle carrying astronauts to the International Space Station to get to space, according to astronaut Steve Swanson, who visited Ketchikan earlier this month. A shuttle reaches speeds of 5 miles a second in breaching the earth's atmosphere.
- Hezbollah vows to expand involvement in Syria's civil war Updated: May-24-15 3:50 pm
BEIRUT - The leader of the militant Hezbollah group said Sunday that the region is facing "unprecedented danger" from extremist groups and vowed his fighters will expand their involvement in Syria's civil war in support of government forces.
- EXCHANGE: Program for injured veterans promotes fitness Updated: May-24-15 1:26 pm
PLAINFIELD, Illinois - Keith Aguina, a veteran who is a quadriplegic, often encountered poor attitudes and physical barriers at the gym.
- Journalism students aim to dispel myths about veterans Updated: May-24-15 12:29 pm
DETROIT - Wishing living U.S. military veterans a "Happy Memorial Day" might be well-intentioned but misses the mark on an occasion meant for remembering those who lost their lives.
- LePage designates $10,0000 to support veterans' services Updated: May-24-15 10:56 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Republican Gov. Paul LePage has designated $10,000 from his contingency fund to support a program for veterans.
- Iraqi lawmaker slams US criticism of Iraqi military Updated: May-24-15 10:40 am
BAGHDAD - An Iraqi lawmaker says U.S. military commanders are pointing fingers for their own failure to properly support the Iraqi military in the fight against the Islamic State group.
- Music museum to offer free admission to military personnel Updated: May-24-15 10:38 am
VERMILLION, South Dakota - The National Music Museum in Vermillion is offering free admission this summer to active duty military personnel and their families.
- What to watch: Crunch time calm; texting while driving bill Updated: May-24-15 9:07 am
AUSTIN, Texas - The closing days of Texas' legislative session usually mean political chaos, with some lawmakers scrambling to finalize pet proposed legislation and others working just as hard to block bills they despise.
- Official: Israel thanked US for blocking nuclear document Updated: May-24-15 4:55 am
JERUSALEM - A senior Israeli official says Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has thanked the U.S. for blocking a global document at the United Nations aimed at ridding the world of nuclear weapons, a rare bright spot amid strained relations between the two countries.
- Orangeburg salutes veterans at Memorial Day observance Updated: May-24-15 4:05 am
ORANGEBURG, South Carolina - Orangeburg residents are hearing from an Army veteran from the Vietnam conflict during an observance of Memorial Day.
- Jailed Venezuelan leader starts hunger strike, urges protest Updated: May-23-15 11:43 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Jailed opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez said he is beginning a hunger strike and called for a mass anti-government protest next week in a video leaked Saturday.
- Bugler honors deceased veterans with personal touch Updated: May-23-15 9:40 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - Taps is 24 notes that can make the toughest soldier cry.
- NSA winds down once-secret phone-records collection program Updated: May-23-15 2:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The National Security Agency has begun winding down its collection and storage of American phone records after the Senate failed to agree on a path forward to change or extend the once-secret program ahead of its expiration at the end of the month.
- Controversial change at Wilmington VA hospital reversed Updated: May-23-15 1:42 pm
WILMINGTON, Delaware - A controversial downgrade of surgical capability at the Wilmington Veterans Affairs hospital has been reversed.
- Somalia: Militants kill lawmaker in capital, attack 2 towns Updated: May-23-15 1:41 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - A Somali lawmaker was shot and killed by gunmen in the capital Saturday, as dozens of Islamic extremists attacked two towns in southern Somalia, clashing with government troops in fighting that killed 18 militants and soldiers, Somali security officials said.
- Aeromedical evacuation trainer arrives at Ohio military base Updated: May-23-15 1:05 pm
DAYTON, Ohio - A military transport aircraft fuselage to be used for aeromedical evacuation training has begun arriving at an Air Force base in southwest Ohio.
- Top US commander says IS actively recruiting in Afghanistan Updated: May-23-15 12:23 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - The commander of international forces in Afghanistan said on Saturday that the Islamic State group is actively recruiting in Afghanistan but is not yet operational there.
- Christie criticizes Senate's failure to extend Patriot Act Updated: May-23-15 12:20 pm
MORRISTOWN, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie said the U.S. Senate's failure to extend the Patriot Act could have dangerous consequences.
- Anger builds among unionized workforce at Bath Iron Works Updated: May-23-15 9:23 am
BATH, Maine - The last time Bath Iron Works looked beyond Navy shipbuilding, workers agreed to a contract aimed at boosting efficiency by allowing shipbuilders to learn and perform multiple tasks. President Clinton heaped praise on the shipyard for innovation, but those provisions were tossed aside a couple of years later.
- Senate clears White House-backed trade bill Updated: May-23-15 4:33 am
WASHINGTON - In a victory for President Barack Obama, the Senate passed bipartisan legislation Friday night to strengthen the administration's hand in global trade talks, clearing the way for a highly unpredictable summer showdown in the House.
- NC releases resource guide, updated website for veterans Updated: May-23-15 4:05 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Gov. Pat McCrory has announced the release of the 2015 resource guide for veterans, along with an updated website that focuses on federal Veterans Affairs benefits and other issues.
- Syrians try to build case against Assad in chlorine attacks Updated: May-23-15 2:06 am
BEIRUT - With only a cloth mask for protection, Firas Kayali rushed to try to rescue the residents of a house in a village in rebel-held northern Syria after a barrel bomb, suspected to be filled with chlorine gas, hit nearby.
- US rejects nuclear disarmament document over Israel concerns Updated: May-22-15 9:35 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United States on Friday blocked a global document aimed at ridding the world of nuclear weapons, saying Egypt and other states tried to "cynically manipulate" the process by setting a deadline for Israel and its neighbors to meet within months on a Middle East zone free of such weapons.
- Navy says pilot safely ejected when plane went off runway Updated: May-22-15 9:32 pm
SAN DIEGO - A Navy pilot safely ejected into San Diego Bay on Friday when a training jet went off the end of a runway after landing at Naval Air Station North Island.