- Mother explores deportation policy after daughter's death Updated: Aug-02-15 2:49 pm
NEW LONDON, Connecticut - A Connecticut woman says she's trying to learn why a Haitian immigrant accused of fatally stabbing her daughter avoided deportation after his release from prison.
- Newark launches municipal identification card program Updated: Aug-02-15 1:20 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Newark has launched a municipal identification card program for most city residents, including those who are living in the country illegally.
- Boise's Jaialdi demonstrates that 'Basque values are plural' Updated: Aug-02-15 9:26 am
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho has 7,900 residents who claim Basque heritage, 2,000 of them in Boise. Those numbers are self-reported on government surveys, so the actual Basque population could be much higher. Contrary to myth, though, Idaho is not the most populous Basque state in the U.S.
- Telemundo interviews Bush on wide range of topics Updated: Aug-01-15 2:47 pm
MIAMI - Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush says he's not worried about running against Donald Trump for the nomination or the fact that the billionaire businessman is in first place in several national polls.
- Feds: Action taken to fix mistakenly awarded work permits Updated: Aug-01-15 1:28 pm
HOUSTON - Problems have been fixed that led to about 2,100 work permits being mistakenly awarded under President Barack Obama's executive immigration action after a federal judge in Texas had put the plan on hold, the Justice Department said in newly filed court documents.
- Rockford hotel plan pins hopes on Chinese investors Updated: Aug-01-15 11:35 am
ROCKFORD, Illinois - A developer planning turn a former factory in downtown Rockford into a hotel is trying to attract Chinese investors looking to get U.S. green cards to help cover the costs.
- Authorities: LA man posed as federal immigration agent Updated: Jul-31-15 5:46 pm
LOS ANGELES - Federal prosecutors say a Los Angeles man is facing multiple felony charges after posing as an immigration agent and offering to help secure the release of detained relatives in exchange for thousands of dollars in cash.
- Winthrop tennis coach resigns due to immigration issues Updated: Jul-31-15 1:26 pm
ROCK HILL, South Carolina - Winthrop men's tennis coach Sergey Belov has resigned because of what the school said were issues with his immigration status.
- Hungarian minister: over 100,000 migrants so far in 2015 Updated: Jul-31-15 8:50 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - More than 100,000 migrants have reached Hungary so far this year, nearly all of them entering through its southern border with Serbia, the Hungarian foreign minister said Friday.
- Finney officials challenge possible sanctuary designation Updated: Jul-31-15 7:47 am
GARDEN CITY, Kansas - Fearing the possible loss of Federal Emergency Management Agency funds, Finney county officials are challenging Rep. Kevin Yoder's assertion that their county is an immigrant sanctuary.
- Sen. King wants to ease work restrictions on asylum seekers Updated: Jul-31-15 4:10 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Maine Sen. Angus King will visit Portland City Hall to announce legislation he's proposing to ease work restrictions on immigrants seeking asylum.
- French Jewish immigrants flock to Israeli coastal city Updated: Jul-31-15 3:17 am
NETANYA, Israel - The coastal city of Netanya markets itself as the "Israeli Riviera" and walking along its main pedestrian boulevard, one would be hard-pressed to tell it apart from its twin city of Nice. Barely a word of Hebrew is spoken, and real estate ads, restaurant menus and cafe conversations are mostly in French.
- Human smuggling ring dismantled in South Texas Updated: Jul-30-15 7:17 pm
SAN ANTONIO - U.S. Homeland Security investigators dismantled a South Texas ring that illegally smuggled thousands of immigrants across the border from Mexico and on to other parts of the state -- often tucked in small, dangerous truck crawl spaces.
- Trump's call for mass deportations runs into messy realities Updated: Jul-30-15 6:10 pm
NEW YORK - In one of his first forays into policy as a presidential candidate, Republican Donald Trump is calling for the deportation of all 11 million people estimated to be living in the country illegally and allowing what he calls "really good people" to return.
- Trump turns golf trip into extension of campaign trail Updated: Jul-30-15 1:55 pm
TURNBERRY, Scotland - Donald Trump turned a brief trip to a golf tournament in Scotland into an extension of his presidential campaign trail when he attended the Women's British Open at his plush Turnberry resort on Thursday.
- Lennon honored with artwork showing him in yellow submarine Updated: Jul-30-15 12:10 am
NEW YORK - Standing in front of artwork depicting Manhattan as a yellow submarine and John Lennon as the pilot displaying the peace sign, Yoko Ono joined Bono and other guests to honor her late husband Wednesday.
- US immigration arrests 30 in Oklahoma without permission Updated: Jul-29-15 7:32 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents have arrested 30 fugitives or convicted criminals during a four-day sweep in the Oklahoma City and Guymon areas.
- Immigrants, poor fish for their dinner, unaware of mercury Updated: Jul-29-15 3:53 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - It's midday and the white bucket balanced on the rocky shore at Mountha Uppasay's feet holds five or six white bass, moving sluggishly in the water she scooped from the Des Moines River.
- Ohio city to host discussion on skilled immigrants Updated: Jul-29-15 3:19 am
DAYTON, Ohio - A federal Labor Department official will be part of a discussion on highly skilled immigrants and a southwest Ohio city's efforts to attract them.
- US Customs officer charged with smuggling immigrants Updated: Jul-28-15 5:44 pm
EL PASO, Texas - A U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer has been charged with smuggling four Mexican nationals into the United States.
- Some immigrant students face doubt over Missouri college aid Updated: Jul-27-15 7:47 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - With the fall semester set to begin in weeks for many Missouri colleges and universities, students whose parents brought them illegally to the U.S. still face uncertainty regarding financial aid for the upcoming school year.
- Lawyers: immigrant mothers coerced to wear ankle monitors Updated: Jul-27-15 7:07 pm
SAN ANTONIO - Lawyers representing immigrant mothers held in a South Texas detention center say the women have been denied counsel and coerced into accepting ankle-monitoring bracelets as a condition of release, even after judges made clear that paying their bonds would suffice.
- Judge: Immigrant kids should be freed from family detention Updated: Jul-27-15 5:29 pm
LOS ANGELES - A federal judge has ruled that immigrant children arriving on the U.S. border with their mothers should not be detained in secure detention facilities. But experts say it isn't entirely clear when they might get out.
- NYC mayor: 400,000 people have obtained municipal ID cards Updated: Jul-27-15 5:13 pm
NEW YORK - Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Monday that about 400,000 people have obtained New York City's municipal ID card since the program was rolled out six months ago - including immigrants lacking legal documentation.
- Hispanics energized by Argentinian pope's first visit to US Updated: Jul-27-15 4:36 pm
NEW YORK - Vianel Garcia told family members they could sleep on the floor of her East Harlem hair salon when Pope Francis visits the city in September so they can try to catch a glimpse of him when he makes a stop at a school across from her business.