- Mountaineer opens $2M smoking pavilion to comply with ban Updated: Jul-03-15 12:53 pm
NEW CUMBERLAND, West Virginia - Mountaineer Casinos, Racetrack & Resort has opened a $2 million smoking pavilion to comply with a local clean air regulation.
- Smoking ban seems cause of 15-hour Australian prison riot Updated: Jun-30-15 8:56 pm
MELBOURNE, Australia - Australian authorities on Wednesday ended a 15-hour prison riot involving up to 300 inmates in Melbourne suspected to have been triggered by a ban on smoking.
- Correction: Smoking-State Parks story Updated: Jun-29-15 7:47 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - In a story June 20 about a smoking ban at state parks in Hawaii, The Associated Press reported erroneously that parks on Kauai are excluded from the ban. The ban applies to all state parks in Hawaii.
- Court: Betting facility included in Indianapolis smoking ban Updated: Jun-25-15 8:11 am
INDIANAPOLIS - An appeals court panel has ruled that an off-track betting facility in Indianapolis isn't exempt from the city's ban on smoking in places such as bars and restaurants.
- Mississippi cities honored for smoke-free ordinances Updated: Jun-25-15 4:34 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Mississippi State Department of Health says the Magnolia state leads the nation when it comes to implementing municipal smoke-free air ordinances.
- Cigarette smuggler skirts deadly edge of IS smoking ban Updated: Jun-19-15 8:08 am
ESKI MOSUL, Iraq - It was a heart-racing moment. The cigarette smuggler was stuck in line at a checkpoint as, up ahead, Islamic State militants were searching cars. He was running a big risk: The militants have banned smoking and lighting up is punishable with a fine or broken finger. Selling cigarettes can be a death sentence.
- Portland considers amendments to smoking ban in parks Updated: Jun-16-15 6:20 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - Though Portland's citywide parks smoking ban has yet to begin, Commissioner Amanda Fritz already wants to change the consequences for would-be offenders.
- Panel OKs bill banning smoking in vehicles when kids present Updated: Jun-15-15 6:33 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A New Jersey state Senate panel has advanced legislation that would bar smokers from lighting up in vehicles if children 16 and younger also are present.
- Pot smoke included in Anchorage smoking ban Updated: Jun-10-15 12:25 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Marijuana smokers are joining tobacco users in being banned from lighting up inside Anchorage businesses.
- Harrah's New Orleans blames smoking ban for revenue decline Updated: Jun-09-15 6:33 am
NEW ORLEANS - Harrah's New Orleans Casino claims a new citywide smoking ban is to blame for a 16 percent decline in its revenue this month compared to a year ago.