- Punishments softened for 3 demoted state fire captains Updated: Aug-28-15 1:23 am
SACRAMENTO, California - California's state fire department on Thursday agreed to soften the punishment of three former captains that stemmed from a high-profile scandal at its academy.
- Savannah State lockdown lifted; 1 injured in shooting Updated: Aug-28-15 1:08 am
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Campus police are investigating after a shooting at Savannah State University that left one person injured and prompted a lockdown.
- Programs run into pitfalls with fining college players Updated: Aug-28-15 12:56 am
Take away game tickets for missing class. Hold back a bowl gift for being late. Maybe even dock a player his $15 per diem for skipping study hall.
- ACLU sues to block sweeping Nevada education funding program Updated: Aug-27-15 8:56 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - A Nevada education funding program that's considered the nation's broadest school choice initiative attracted its first legal challenge Thursday, with three civil liberties groups saying it violates the state constitution by releasing public funds to religious schools.
- Student charged in university threats, will be evaluated Updated: Aug-27-15 7:50 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A student who Mississippi State University officials say threatened to kill himself and others will face misdemeanor disorderly conduct charges and has been referred for a mental and psychological evaluation.
- Former teacher pleads not guilty in sex act with student Updated: Aug-27-15 7:41 pm
MOBILE, Alabama - Court records say a former teacher accused of having a sexual relationship with a student has pleaded not guilty.
- Teacher describes handling gun-wielding teen hostage taker Updated: Aug-27-15 6:43 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Thirty-year veteran teacher Twila Smith had scarcely started a new school year when a 14-year-old freshman entered her world studies class and drew a gun Tuesday.
- Northern Kentucky student charged after gun spotted Updated: Aug-27-15 5:38 pm
HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, Kentucky - A Northern Kentucky University spokeswoman says a student has been charged after she was seen with a gun in the school library.
- New Missouri court fines, sex ed laws set to take effect Updated: Aug-27-15 5:15 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Numerous new Missouri laws are set to take effect Friday, ranging from legislation addressing concerns about court fines raised after the fatal police shooting of a black 18-year-old in Ferguson to child-proof packaging for liquid nicotine used in electronic cigarettes.
- Teacher priest seeks OK to wear religious habit in classroom Updated: Aug-27-15 2:17 pm
PARKERSBURG, West Virginia - A Roman Catholic priest who also is a public school teacher has asked officials to allow him to wear his religious habit in the classroom.
- 1 arrested after 2 shot at Texas Southern University lot Updated: Aug-27-15 12:55 pm
HOUSTON - Houston police say a suspect has been accused of assault after two people were shot while at a Texas Southern University dormitory parking lot.
- Plaintiff in Penn State hazing suit, lawyers tour frat house Updated: Aug-27-15 12:36 pm
STATE COLLEGE, Pennsylvania - A former Penn State student who is suing over alleged hazing toured his former fraternity house with his parents and lawyers for the involved parties.
- ASU Police Department launches Special Victims Unit Updated: Aug-27-15 11:41 am
TEMPE, Arizona - Arizona State University has added a Special Victims Unit to its campus police department to cover special crimes reported on any of its four campuses.
- Former student sues teacher imprisoned in child pornography case Updated: Aug-27-15 10:52 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A former student says she was impregnated at age 13 and forced to seek an abortion by a central Pennsylvania teacher who's now imprisoned on child pornography and child sexual abuse charges.
- 3rd-grader who shot child at school got gun in home kitchen Updated: Aug-27-15 10:13 am
AUGUSTA, Georgia - A third-grader who accidentally shot a classmate at school found the weapon while exploring his family's kitchen, authorities said.
- Ex-student gets 8 years, took loaded guns to Texas school Updated: Aug-27-15 10:11 am
SAN ANTONIO - A former student at a San Antonio school has been sentenced to eight years in prison for taking loaded guns to campus.
- FEMA's Fugate tours school safe room while in Mississippi Updated: Aug-27-15 8:12 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency says the agency's greatest lessons since Hurricane Katrina have been in how to prepare and respond to the most severe emergencies.
- 3rd-grader who shot child at school got gun in home kitchen Updated: Aug-27-15 8:10 am
AUGUSTA, Georgia - Officials in Georgia say a third-grader who accidentally shot a classmate at school found the weapon while exploring his family's kitchen.
- Petition questions UNC Wilmington's commitment to diversity Updated: Aug-27-15 7:23 am
WILMINGTON, North Carolina - An online petition is questioning the University of North Carolina Wilmington's commitment to diversity.
- Police: Man fatally shot near Houston elementary school Updated: Aug-27-15 3:55 am
HOUSTON - Authorities say a man was fatally shot near an elementary school in southwest Houston.
- TSU: 1 hurt, 1 in custody after on-campus shooting Updated: Aug-27-15 12:43 am
HOUSTON - A spokeswoman for Texas Southern University says one person is in custody after an on-campus shooting that left another person injured.
- Man pleads guilty in high school shooting Updated: Aug-26-15 5:39 pm
FREDERICK, Maryland - One of two men charged in a shooting that wounded two teenage boys outside a high school basketball game has pleaded guilty for his role in the incident.
- School makes guns available to trained staff this year Updated: Aug-26-15 4:44 pm
GARDEN VALLEY, Idaho - This academic year marks the first that a remote Idaho school district will make guns available to trained staff members in the event that an active shooter is on the 300-student campus.
- Teacher accused of having sexual contact with student Updated: Aug-26-15 11:04 am
BEREA, Kentucky - A high school teacher accused of having sexual contact with a student has been arrested.
- Missing college student found safe in Orlando Updated: Aug-26-15 6:47 am
ORLANDO, Florida - Authorities say a missing University of Central Florida student has been found safe in Orlando.