- University of Cincinnati wants police review after shooting Updated: Jul-27-15 2:40 pm
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati plans an independent review of police department policies after one of its officers fatally shot a man whose car was missing a license plate.
- Chicago-area high school creates anti-bullying scholarship Updated: Jul-27-15 4:54 am
PALATINE, Illinois - A suburban Chicago woman has left $50,000 to a scholarship fund at a Palatine high school honoring her son, who endured bullying when he attended 40 years ago.
- Indiana school gets $1.6M grant for tornado safe-room Updated: Jul-27-15 4:07 am
SALEM, Indiana - Federal officials have awarded a southern Indiana school district $1.6 million to build a tornado safe-room at an elementary school.
- U. of Richmond suspends fraternity for policy violations Updated: Jul-26-15 12:59 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Sigma Alpha Epsilon's chapter at the University of Richmond has been indefinitely suspended for violating the school's policies.
- Threats at Detroit community college lead to mother's arrest Updated: Jul-24-15 4:13 pm
DETROIT - A woman accused of making verbal threats at the Wayne County Community College District campus in downtown Detroit has been arrested.
- Ore. teacher pleads guilty in sex case involving student Updated: Jul-24-15 2:30 pm
PENDLETON, Oregon - A former long-term substitute teacher at Pendleton High School has pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a student.
- Ohio standards board opposes school barricade devices Updated: Jul-24-15 12:45 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's building standards board took a strong position Friday against the installation of barricade devices on classroom doors in the event of an active shooter, just weeks after a law went into effect allowing the devices.
- Former student files federal suit in school sex assault case Updated: Jul-24-15 11:14 am
BYRON CENTER, Michigan - A former student who was sexually assaulted by a high school teacher is suing a western Michigan district.
- Cleric suspected of child abuse in US jailed in Australia Updated: Jul-24-15 3:13 am
MELBOURNE, Australia - An American clergyman suspected of child sexual abuse at a Pennsylvania school was sentenced on Friday to three years in an Australian prison for molesting three children in Melbourne more than 30 years ago.
- Transgender youths show hardship, resilience Updated: Jul-23-15 8:22 pm
MIAMI - The transgender community has gained a degree of acceptance in recent years with the help of such celebrities as Caitlyn Jenner and Laverne Cox from "Orange is the New Black." But for those who are less known it can be more of a struggle. Many young transgender people, wrestling with their identities, find themselves shunned by family, friends and co-workers. Episodes of homelessness, alcoholism, drug abuse and violence often follow.
- Man accused of threatening 2 Kansas students Updated: Jul-23-15 7:49 pm
OVERLAND PARK, Kansas - Authorities say a 19-year-old man has been arrested after two students attending a Kansas summer program said he threatened them.
- Usher says he hopes foundation can help lower dropout rate Updated: Jul-23-15 5:40 pm
ATLANTA - R&B singer Usher says he wants to lower the high school dropout rate through his New Look Foundation.
- Father of school shooter pleads not guilty to gun charges Updated: Jul-23-15 4:30 pm
SEATTLE - The father of the Washington state teenager who fatally shot four high school classmates and then himself in October pleaded not guilty in federal court on Thursday to five new firearms charges.
- NYC school discipline panel says suspensions, arrests down Updated: Jul-23-15 4:12 pm
NEW YORK - A panel examining safety in New York City schools said Thursday that overly punitive discipline is down under Mayor Bill de Blasio and recommended teacher training and other measures to continue that trend.
- Teen's parents sue Johns Hopkins over alleged frat rape Updated: Jul-22-15 4:20 pm
BALTIMORE - The parents of a 16-year-old who says she was sexually assaulted at an off-campus fraternity party are suing Johns Hopkins University for $20 million.
- Lawyer cites teacher's health issues in student sex assaults Updated: Jul-22-15 12:55 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A high school teacher accused of having sex with six male students has a brain condition that left her defenseless to the students' aggressive behavior, her lawyer said.
- Former teacher sentenced for sexual contact with students Updated: Jul-21-15 10:00 am
JOPLIN, Missouri - A former southwest Missouri high school teacher has been sentenced to four years in prison for having sex with one boy and sending nude photographs to another.
- Ex-music teacher gets prison for sex with female student Updated: Jul-21-15 8:31 am
STROUDSBURG, Pennsylvania - A former Pennsylvania public school music teacher must spend three to six years in state prison for his sexual relationship with a student.
- Former Elton teacher sentenced in carnal knowledge case Updated: Jul-21-15 7:41 am
JENNING, Louisiana - A former Elton High School teacher and coach has been sentenced to seven years in prison in a carnal knowledge case.
- Court overturns expulsion over pocket knife found in locker Updated: Jul-21-15 3:34 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Minnesota Court of Appeals has overturned the expulsion of a southern Minnesota high school student for having a pocket knife in her locker.
- New York man arrested in threatening hoax calls Updated: Jul-20-15 9:22 pm
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - A New York man suspected of placing numerous threatening phone calls to Flagstaff, Arizona, schools has been arrested.
- Federal judge says Jacksonville board decision not his Updated: Jul-20-15 8:10 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A federal judge ruled Monday that the makeup of the newly formed Jacksonville School District's school board isn't part of the decades-old Pulaski County Special School District desegregation case.
- Timing of school administrator's suspension raises eyebrows Updated: Jul-20-15 3:09 pm
MCPHERSON, Kansas - Officials at a central Kansas school district insist there is no connection between the timing of a top administrator's firing over misused funds and an election seeking to increase the district's local option budget.
- Tucson students might get counseling, not suspensions Updated: Jul-20-15 8:37 am
TUCSON, Arizona - The Tucson Unified School District may soon be providing counseling services rather than out-of-school suspensions to some of the district's most troubled students.
- Man sues University of Michigan over campus gun ban Updated: Jul-20-15 1:46 am
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - A lawsuit has been filed against the University of Michigan by an Ann Arbor man who says his request to openly carry a gun on campus was denied.