- School district defends proposed discipline plan Updated: Jul-02-15 5:58 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - A revised code of conduct proposed by the Oklahoma City school district is being heavily criticized by the teachers union.
- Highlights of Wisconsin budget up for final committee vote Updated: Jul-02-15 2:04 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The two-year state budget up for passage Thursday by the Republican-controlled Joint Finance Committee is expected to be taken up by the Assembly on Tuesday. It's unknown when the Senate will vote on it. Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald said Wednesday that he does not have the votes for the budget in its current form.
- School district sees drop in pot-related expulsions Updated: Jul-02-15 12:05 pm
GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado - School officials in Grand Junction are crediting counseling and a campus security officer with decreasing expulsions for students caught with marijuana.
- Imprisoned ex-teacher gets 6-15 years for sex with student Updated: Jul-02-15 10:16 am
MOUNT CLEMENS, Michigan - A former southeastern Michigan teacher already serving time in prison on charges she had sex with a 15-year-old student has been sentenced to 6-15 years for related charges in Macomb County.
- Lafourche begins school safety upgrades Updated: Jul-02-15 7:15 am
THIBODAUX, Louisiana - The Lafourche Parish school system is spending $29 million over the next 10 years on school safety.
- Suspended WV teacher pleads guilty to gun charge Updated: Jul-02-15 3:07 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - A suspended high school math teacher has pleaded guilty to buying a gun for a felon.
- Family sues after California frat pledge died on hazing hike Updated: Jul-01-15 9:59 pm
LOS ANGELES - The family of a California college student who died during a grueling fraternity hike sued the organization and the school on Wednesday, saying the young man's death was senseless and easily preventable.
- Washington has a budget, but Legislature isn't finished Updated: Jul-01-15 9:31 pm
SEATTLE - Washington state has a budget for the next two years. The government has not shut down. So why haven't state lawmakers gone home for summer vacation? They still have work to do.
- North Carolina high schools suspend driver's education Updated: Jul-01-15 3:56 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - With state funding to help pay for driver's education in question, at least a third of North Carolina's school systems are suspending their programs this summer.
- Judge pulls bond of teacher in student-sex intimidation case Updated: Jul-01-15 1:26 pm
PITTSBURGH - A Pennsylvania high school teacher awaiting trial on charges he had sex with a student and previously intimidated the girl by contacting her must remain jailed for again phoning and emailing the girl despite a court order, a judge ruled Wednesday.
- Democrats, public school advocates call for budget changes Updated: Jun-30-15 2:42 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Democrats and public education advocates say they want to remove budget provisions that would provide special education vouchers and additional private school vouchers.
- Topping off ceremony set for new Sandy Hook school Updated: Jun-30-15 1:23 pm
NEWTOWN, Connecticut - Officials in Newtown are marking progress in the construction of a school to replace the one where a gunman killed 20 children and six educators.
- Expulsions for uniform violations barred for young students Updated: Jun-30-15 4:08 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's public schools are prohibited from suspending or expelling elementary school students for violating school uniform rules.
- University of California sued over sex assault claims Updated: Jun-29-15 7:00 pm
OAKLAND, California - Three current and former University of California, Berkeley students sued the school on Monday, accusing administrators of not doing enough to investigate their sexual assault claims and hand out punishment.
- Colorado's high court blocks school voucher program Updated: Jun-29-15 5:18 pm
DENVER - A school voucher program in suburban Denver violates the state constitution because it provides funding for students to attend religious schools, the Colorado Supreme Court ruled Monday.
- Mississippi bans text-and-drive, repeals inspection sticker Updated: Jun-29-15 4:16 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Several new laws in Mississippi will affect people's everyday lives, including their driving habits. Here's a look at some proposals approved by the Legislature during the 2015 session and signed into law by Republican Gov. Phil Bryant:
- Some Montana schools missing vaccine benchmark, data shows Updated: Jun-28-15 2:44 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - Vaccination rates at one in eight elementary schools in Montana are too low to ensure immunity from outbreaks of measles or whooping cough, new state data shows.
- New security service at NDSU can be activated with 1 touch Updated: Jun-28-15 11:27 am
FARGO, North Dakota - North Dakota State University students and staff will have access this year to a safety and security service that will allow dispatchers to track their whereabouts and let users call for help with one swipe of the smartphone screen.
- Teen missing from New Hampshire school found safe Updated: Jun-28-15 8:40 am
GREENFIELD, New Hampshire - A teenager reported missing from New Hampshire's Crotched Mountain School has been found safe.
- Parents sue military-style voucher school in Milwaukee Updated: Jun-26-15 4:20 pm
MILWAUKEE - Several parents are suing a private, military-style voucher school in Milwaukee, alleging their children were subjected to abuse and humiliating treatment when they attended a boot camp last fall.
- Hassan vetoes bill on parental notice of sexual topics Updated: Jun-26-15 3:25 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Gov. Maggie Hassan says a bill that would require schools to give parents two weeks' notice before using sexually explicit material in class would make it harder for young people to receive public health education or study important literature.
- Former priest charged in sexual abuse of boys 3 decades ago Updated: Jun-26-15 2:20 pm
JACKSON, Michigan - Prosecutors have added six additional charges against a former Michigan Catholic school priest, teacher and wrestling coach in connection with reported sexual assaults of boys more than three decades ago.
- Former Glenmora teacher indicted on sex, other charges Updated: Jun-26-15 6:52 am
ALEXANDRIA, Louisiana - A former teacher arrested in February after being accused of having sex with an underage student has been indicted by a grand jury.
- 5 arrested in beating that was recorded, posted online Updated: Jun-26-15 6:20 am
PHILADELPHIA - Five Philadelphia high school students are accused of beating another student in an attack that was recorded and posted online.
- US: School district hasn't improved handling of harassment Updated: Jun-25-15 5:34 pm
ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania - The Justice Department says a Pennsylvania school district's poor handling of sexual harassment allegations warrants extending federal supervision until 2017.