- Zogenix says former obesity drug reduced seizures in study Updated: May-27-15 2:43 pm
NEW YORK - Drugmaker Zogenix said Wednesday that a drug once used to fight obesity before it was taken off the market may help treat a rare disease that causes severe seizures in young children.
- Ohio bill requires students be immunized against meningitis Updated: May-27-15 12:33 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio students would need to be immunized against meningitis under a measure that cleared a legislative committee.
- Study peeks into healthy brains to hunt Alzheimer's culprit Updated: May-26-15 1:26 pm
WASHINGTON - Sticky plaque gets the most attention, but now healthy seniors at risk of Alzheimer's are letting scientists peek into their brains to see if another culprit is lurking.
- Agent: 'Lawrence of Arabia' star Omar Sharif has Alzheimer's Updated: May-25-15 6:01 pm
LOS ANGELES - Legendary "Lawrence of Arabia" actor Omar Sharif is battling Alzheimer's disease, his agent Steve Kenis confirmed to The Associated Press on Monday.
- US appeals court upholds delay in Alzheimer's drug swap Updated: May-22-15 2:00 pm
ALBANY, New York - A federal appeals court has rejected a drug manufacturer's appeal and affirmed a judge's order that Actavis PLC keep distributing its widely used Alzheimer's medication until after its patent expires this summer.
- Trial begins for Prescott woman charged with husband's death Updated: May-21-15 8:25 am
PRESCOTT, Arizona - The trial is underway for a Prescott woman charged with suffocating her husband, who had a degenerative neuromuscular disease.
- Study: Fewer kids have severe mental problems; more get help Updated: May-20-15 6:04 pm
Contrary to public perception and horrific cases that make headlines, serious mental problems are declining among the nation's youth, and there has been a big rise in how many are getting help, a new study finds.
- Man who caught listeria-related meningitis sues Blue Bell Updated: May-20-15 10:39 am
AUSTIN, Texas - A man is suing Blue Bell, saying he contracted listeria-related meningitis after eating ice cream produced by the company in 2013.
- Judge approves $200M settlement in 2012 meningitis outbreak Updated: May-19-15 7:39 pm
BOSTON - Victims of a 2012 meningitis outbreak caused by a now-closed Massachusetts compounding pharmacy will have access to a $200 million compensation fund, following approval Tuesday by a federal bankruptcy judge.
- Iowa ALS group reveals plans for ice bucket challenge funds Updated: May-06-15 12:09 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Months after videos of people dumping buckets of icy water over their heads flooded the Internet, the Iowa chapter of the ALS Association has announced how it plans to use funds raised during the campaign.
- Broadway stars to celebrate B. Smith, help fight Alzheimer's Updated: May-06-15 11:34 am
NEW YORK - Broadway stars and singers will come together next week to celebrate former model and restaurateur B. Smith and raise money to help people with Alzheimer's disease.
- At medical marijuana warehouse, plants rise as launch nears Updated: May-05-15 5:46 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Kim Kelsey walked row-by-row through a maze of hundreds of growing marijuana plants, dumbstruck, ecstatic and near tears at the 2-foot-tall plants and what she hopes they will do for her son.
- Ann Romney launches campaign on neurological disorders Updated: May-01-15 1:55 pm
BOSTON - Former Massachusetts first lady Ann Romney is joining forces with Montel Williams and Jack Osbourne in a social media campaign to raise awareness of neurological disorders.
- Family: Pedestrian killed on rural road dealt with dementia Updated: May-01-15 10:52 am
TITUSVILLE, Pennsylvania - The daughter of a man struck and killed while walking in the middle of a rural northwestern Pennsylvania road says he had dementia and may have been trying to walk to visit relatives miles away.
- Kirk Gibson diagnosed with Parkinson's disease Updated: Apr-28-15 9:50 pm
DETROIT - Kirk Gibson has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.