- Doctors: Meningitis threat not high for use of new vaccine Updated: Feb-06-16 7:31 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - Officials say the public health threat of meningitis isn't high enough to justify the widespread use of a vaccine approved for use in the United States in 2014.
- The Latest: Puerto Rico declares Zika emergency Updated: Feb-05-16 3:03 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Latest on efforts to battle the Zika virus (all times local):
- Bay Area professor dies from meningitis Updated: Feb-05-16 10:11 am
SAN JOSE, California - A Bay Area university professor has died from meningococcal meningitis.
- Finance committee OKs dementia bills Updated: Feb-04-16 6:32 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin lawmakers moved closer Thursday to passing a bipartisan package of legislation to help people cope with Alzheimer's disease and dementia after the Legislature's budget committee signed off on the last half of the proposals.
- Meningococcal meningitis hits 3 at Santa Clara University Updated: Feb-04-16 3:56 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - A third student at Santa Clara University has been diagnosed with a confirmed case of meningococcal meningitis.
- Official: Bacterial meningitis likely didn't kill teen Updated: Feb-02-16 2:48 am
POLK, Nebraska - A health official says that the death of an eastern Nebraska teen was more likely the result of bacteria called streptococcus pneumoniae rather than bacterial meningitis.
- Paul Aiken, director of Authors Guild, dies at 56 Updated: Feb-01-16 3:50 pm
NEW YORK - Paul Aiken, the executive director of the Authors Guild who served for nearly 20 years as it confronted such digital age issues as copyright, e-book royalties and online selling, has died.
- Woman with dementia dies of hypothermia after snowstorm Updated: Jan-27-16 4:29 pm
HYATTSVILLE, Maryland - Prince George's County Police say a Hyattsville woman found dead in a neighbor's yard died of hypothermia.
- Former NFL safety Sash diagnosed with CTE Updated: Jan-26-16 8:47 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Former NFL and Iowa safety Tyler Sash, who died last year at age 27, has been diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
- NY Health Department sponsoring medical cannabis drug study Updated: Jan-24-16 9:16 am
ALBANY, New York - New York's Department of Health is sponsoring research on the use of a pharmaceutical-grade medical cannabis drug to treat children with severe epilepsy.
- Health officials probe tie between Zika, paralyzing syndrome Updated: Jan-22-16 4:37 pm
SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - Health officials say they're trying to determine if an unusual jump in cases of a rare nerve condition sometimes severe enough to cause paralysis is related to the spread of the mosquito-borne Zika virus in at least two Latin American countries.
- Meningitis vaccine bill dies in Nebraska Legislature Updated: Jan-20-16 2:16 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska students will not be required get vaccinations against meningitis, despite senators who argue the disease is a public health concern.
- Idaho program treating 4 children with marijuana extract oil Updated: Jan-18-16 9:09 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Four Idaho children are receiving treatment for severe forms of epilepsy with an experimental, non-psychoactive drug derived from marijuana plants, state health officials announced Monday.