- Woman who dropped son into zoo cheetah pit pleads no contest Updated: May-27-15 5:26 pm
CLEVELAND - A woman who dropped her toddler son into a Cleveland zoo's cheetah pit and was charged with child endangering has pleaded no contest to a reduced charge.
- 9 new cheetah cubs born at Metro Richmond Zoo Updated: May-27-15 4:40 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - The Metro Richmond Zoo says nine cheetah cubs from two litters were born in the past month.
- Kansas City Zoo has 1st gorilla birth in 40 years Updated: May-27-15 3:44 am
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The Kansas City Zoo is celebrating the birth of a baby gorilla for the first time in 40 years.
- Detroit Zoo sends snails back to Tahiti to restore species Updated: May-26-15 8:26 pm
ROYAL OAK, Michigan - One hundred endangered snails are on their way to Tahiti to restore a species that became extinct in the wild, the Detroit Zoo said Tuesday.
- Syracuse zoo's new baby elephant being introduced to public Updated: May-26-15 7:04 am
SYRACUSE, New York - A baby elephant born earlier this month at the zoo in Syracuse is having its coming out party.
- Rare spider tortoise hatches at the National Zoo in DC Updated: May-23-15 5:37 pm
WASHINGTON - The Smithsonian's National Zoo says for the first time a rare spider tortoise has hatched at its Reptile Discovery Center.
- Beardsley Zoo welcomes back camels this summer Updated: May-23-15 1:29 pm
BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - Camels are coming to Connecticut's only zoo this summer.
- Ohio zoo to add giraffe-feeding, zip lining, among others Updated: May-23-15 6:35 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - Officials from an Ohio zoo are planning to add a giraffe-feeding platform, aerial course and improvements to an event pavilion.
- Seattle zoo matriarch gorilla dies at 47 Updated: May-22-15 10:50 pm
SEATTLE - The Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle says its matriarch gorilla, Nina, has died at age 47.
- World record American alligator on display at Montgomery Zoo Updated: May-22-15 9:26 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Mandy Stokes was wearing pearls the night she caught a monster on the Alabama River.
- Mother, daughter elephants arrive at Fresno Chaffee Zoo Updated: May-22-15 8:32 am
FRESNO, California - Two African elephants from an Arkansas sanctuary will soon be on exhibit at the Fresno Chaffee Zoo.
- Record gator going on display at Montgomery Zoo Updated: May-22-15 5:34 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Wildlife officials are unveiling a unique hunting trophy in Montgomery: The largest American alligator ever killed in the wild.
- Grizzlies, tigers part of Roger Williams Park Zoo expansion Updated: May-21-15 5:58 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Roger Williams Park Zoo in Providence has unveiled plans to add a new education center and rainforest building as well as tigers, grizzly bears and moose by 2035.
- Houston Zoo opening new $28 million home for gorillas Updated: May-21-15 4:56 pm
HOUSTON - A family transplanted to Texas from New York City gets to show off their new $28 million digs for the first time this weekend - a 4,000-square-foot home on two acres of prime Houston real estate.
- Houston Zoo giraffe Neema dies after short illness Updated: May-21-15 3:25 pm
HOUSTON - An 8-year-old giraffe at the Houston Zoo has died after a brief intestinal illness.
- SD regulators allow wolf cubs, fox kits at wildlife center Updated: May-20-15 5:25 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - A South Dakota regulatory board says a Minnesota woman will be able to keep wolf cubs and fox kits at a wildlife education center she's opening in Deadwood, but visitors won't be able to play with the animals.
- 24 little penguins from Australia go on display at Bronx Zoo Updated: May-20-15 4:54 pm
NEW YORK - Two dozen members of the world's smallest penguin species have taken up residence at the Bronx Zoo.
- Brookfield Zoo announces birth of 'forest giraffe' Updated: May-20-15 6:32 am
BROOKFIELD, Illinois - Officials at Brookfield Zoo near Chicago have announced the birth of an okapi (oh-KAH'-pee), also known as a "forest giraffe."
- Clouded leopard cubs thriving at Tacoma, Wash., zoo Updated: May-19-15 10:28 pm
TACOMA, Washington - Four tiny clouded leopard cubs are getting round-the-clock care and feeding from keepers at a Tacoma, Washington, zoo.
- Wildlife center operator: Fur taken only after natural death Updated: May-19-15 7:47 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - A Minnesota woman seeking to open a wildlife education center that would house wolf cubs and fox kits in Deadwood acknowledged in a 2012 court case that her Minnesota property is mainly for agricultural use as a fur farm.
- Lafayette zoo takes in salamanders in effort to save species Updated: May-19-15 8:20 am
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - A zoo in Lafayette has taken in three hellbender salamanders as part of an effort to bring back the species.
- Seymour animal lover finds her calling close to home Updated: May-18-15 9:20 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Armed with a target pole and a bag of meat, Jill Burbank walked toward the tiger exhibit at the Indianapolis Zoo.
- Madison zoo adds 2 polar bears as $9.1M exhibit opens Updated: May-18-15 2:02 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - A zoo in Madison is welcoming twin polar bears as its newest residents.
- Zoo staffers launch group hoping to boost bee numbers Updated: May-16-15 11:23 am
MASON, Ohio - Some Cincinnati Zoo employees are working to help the declining number of bees.
- Norwegian police suspect 4 in penguin theft from animal park Updated: May-15-15 11:38 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Authorities say at least four Norwegian teenagers are suspected of stealing a Humboldt penguin egg and three newly-hatched penguin babies from an animal park in western Norway.