- Venezuelan president's bout with thrown mango inspires game Updated: May-06-15 12:14 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - Two Venezuelans who emigrated to escape the country's economic woes are drawing laughs with a mobile game mocking President Nicolas Maduro for his decision to give a new home to a woman who threw a mango at him seeking attention for her plea to get housing.
- Spain's leader urges voters to stick with conservative gov't Updated: May-05-15 10:43 am
MADRID - Spain's prime minister says the country's economy is on the road to recovery and warns voters they shouldn't take risks when choosing elected leaders in ballots this year.
- Venezuelan rum industry succeeding despite country's woes Updated: May-05-15 9:49 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - Ever since he was a young man, one of Guillermo Matos' small pleasures has been a mid-month round of cocktails with friends.
- Ex-Pequot councilor sues tribe over denial of benefits Updated: May-02-15 9:19 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A former Mashantucket Pequot official who earned as much as $500,000 annually during the prime of its Foxwoods Resort Casino is suing the tribe over unpaid benefits, accusing it of punishing her for a vote to remove a tribal leader.
- May Day demos staged around the world; Turkey square blocked Updated: May-01-15 1:21 pm
HAVANA - Left-wing groups, governments and trade unions were staging rallies around the world Friday to mark International Workers Day.
- Mortgage giants seen needing up to $157B in aid in disaster Updated: Apr-30-15 4:31 pm
WASHINGTON - Results of financial "stress tests" show that mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, rescued by taxpayers in the 2008 crisis, would need as much as $157.3 billion in additional aid in a severe U.S. and global recession.
- Spain's economy grows at fastest rate since before crisis Updated: Apr-30-15 3:55 am
MADRID - Spain's National Statistics Institute says the economy grew by 0.9 percent in the first quarter compared to the previous three-month period, its strongest rate since before the economic crisis began in 2007.
- SEC pushes for display of link between pay and performance Updated: Apr-29-15 5:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal regulators have taken a step toward requiring public companies to show the relationship between the compensation of their top executives and the company's financial performance.
- Bond fund giant Pimco hires Bernanke as adviser Updated: Apr-29-15 1:36 pm
NEW YORK - Pimco has hired former Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke as a senior adviser, the bond fund manager said Wednesday.
- British economy slows ahead of general election Updated: Apr-28-15 9:13 am
LONDON - Britain's economic growth slowed to a quarterly rate of 0.3 percent in the January-March period, a drop that will be seen as a setback to the Conservative-led coalition only days before a general election.
- Amid downturn in oil prices, Wyoming economy still grows Updated: Apr-27-15 9:20 am
CASPER, Wyoming - Wyoming's economy has added jobs over the past year despite a decrease in oil prices.
- How London man may have helped trigger the 'flash crash' Updated: Apr-25-15 3:34 pm
NEW YORK - He operated from a modest suburban London home he shared with his parents, far from the city's glamorous financial center. He used off-the-shelf software anyone can buy.
- HSBC considers moving headquarters from Britain Updated: Apr-24-15 11:29 am
LONDON - Global bank HSBC said Friday it is considering moving its headquarters from London due to tougher regulation since the 2008 financial crisis, a politically charged announcement two weeks before Britain's national election.
- Foreigners who came to Brazil in boom times flee the bust Updated: Apr-24-15 11:28 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - When Frenchman Gwenel Lecourieux was gearing up to move to Brazil, the country with its swelling upper class and world-renowned hunger for luxury goods seemed like the perfect place to set up his dream business, selling high-end watches.
- Country clubs use myriad of ways to survive slow economy Updated: Apr-23-15 12:45 pm
MEADOW VISTA, California - Once considered a jewel of Northern California, Winchester Country Club became nearly unrecognizable after the landowner was forced to foreclose the property during the economic downturn.
- Bank of America asks court to toss $1.27B fine, reject judge Updated: Apr-22-15 8:22 pm
NEW YORK - Bank of America asked a federal appeals court Wednesday to toss out a $1.27 billion fine against it, saying the case brought by the federal government after the 2008 financial crisis should never have gone to trial.
- Volcker says US bank oversight ineffective, seeks overhaul Updated: Apr-20-15 9:31 am
WASHINGTON - Former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker is calling for a reshaping of the U.S. financial oversight regime, which he says is splintered and ineffective.
- Greece's far-right leader, lawmakers go on trial Updated: Apr-20-15 5:37 am
ATHENS, Greece - Leaders of Greece's third-largest political party, the extreme right Golden Dawn, went on trial Monday on charges of operating as a criminal organization that allegedly carried out a campaign of violence against immigrants and left-wing opponents.
- Austerity's legacy: British election focused on UK economy Updated: Apr-19-15 11:18 am
LONDON - Prime Minister David Cameron and his main opponent agree on one thing going into Britain's May 7 election: Voters should choose the next leader based on the health of the economy.
- AP News in Brief at 5:58 p.m. EDT Updated: Apr-18-15 6:03 pm
Islamic State group blamed for Afghan suicide bombing killing 35, a potential major escalation
- Why it's proving hard to save Greece Updated: Apr-16-15 12:49 pm
ATHENS, Greece - By the day, Greece is getting closer to a potentially catastrophic debt default that could force it out of the euro bloc.
- US home construction off to weak March start Updated: Apr-16-15 9:12 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. homebuilders opened the spring buying season in March at a slower pace than last year, a warning that recent hiring gains have failed to translate into a stronger real estate market.
- Olympic chief: No 'political interference' in rules of sport Updated: Apr-15-15 6:12 pm
- China's slowdown deepens, stepping up pressure on Beijing Updated: Apr-15-15 12:04 am
BEIJING - China's economic slump deepened as manufacturing and retail sales cooled in the first quarter of this year, stepping up pressure for Beijing to keep the world's second-largest economy on track.
- House approves legislation to ease rules on home loans Updated: Apr-14-15 8:48 pm
WASHINGTON - The House on Tuesday overwhelmingly adopted legislation to ease some mortgage lending requirements of the sweeping 2010 law reining in banks and Wall Street as the Republican majority continues its assault on the so-called Dodd-Frank law enacted after the financial crisis.