- Italian principal accused of canceling Christmas Updated: Nov-30-15 8:46 am
MILAN - A public school principal in predominantly Roman Catholic Italy has been accused of canceling Christmas after removing religious songs from the annual holiday pageant.
- Gov. Hassan heading to school district for award ceremony Updated: Nov-30-15 4:01 am
KINGSTON, New Hampshire - Gov. Maggie Hassan is heading to a regional school district to celebrate an award educators are receiving for helping students develop critical thinking skills.
- DC to reveal results of new Common Core-aligned tests Updated: Nov-30-15 2:15 am
WASHINGTON - District of Columbia education officials are set to release scores on new standardized tests that are meant to assess students' performance on the Common Core academic standards.
- Dissolved Iowa school district to begin settling liabilities Updated: Nov-29-15 5:34 pm
FARRAGUT, Iowa - A southwest Iowa school district that was dissolved now has to close its books, settle its liabilities and dispose of property such as desks and buildings.
- Kline, Franken back rewrite of No Child Left Behind Act Updated: Nov-29-15 4:14 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Minnesota will gain more control over its schools if Congress approves a rewrite of the federal No Child Left Behind law, according to two Minnesota lawmakers who helped forge the deal.
- A look how Wolf's budget proposal fared in the Legislature Updated: Nov-29-15 3:21 pm
Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf and leaders of the Republican-controlled Pennsylvania Legislature say they expect final budget legislation to emerge for votes this week.
- Wisconsin school nixes reading of book about transgender kid Updated: Nov-29-15 12:06 pm
MOUNT HOREB, Wisconsin - A southern Wisconsin elementary school cancelled a planned reading of a children's book about a transgender girl after a group threatened to sue.
- EXCHANGE: Joliet educators work with Hispanic families Updated: Nov-29-15 10:24 am
JOLIET, Illinois - Rene Valenciano has watched the number of Latino and Hispanic students grow at Joliet Public Schools District 86 from when he first started working there in 2011.
- Anacortes fifth-graders help restore Bowman Bay Updated: Nov-29-15 2:05 am
BOWMAN BAY, Washington - Bracing against the wind at Deception Pass State Park's Bowman Bay, 10-year-old EmmaLee Grove put the force of her entire body into digging a hole on the beach's newly restored shoreline.
- Petal Elementary principal named among America's best Updated: Nov-28-15 5:33 pm
PETAL, Mississippi - A national educators' group has named Petal Elementary School principal Kelli Brown among America's best.
- Audit: School bus inspection program skips smaller vehicles Updated: Nov-28-15 4:41 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - A Nevada Highway Patrol program that inspects the state's school buses for safety is overlooking dozens of vehicles that don't fall under the traditional definition of a bus, according to state auditors.
- Missouri school district adopts transgender policy Updated: Nov-28-15 2:18 pm
MARIONVILLE, Missouri - A southwest Missouri school district has a new policy governing bathroom usage for transgender students that some civil rights advocates are calling discriminatory.
- Poll of high school students finds reluctance to intervene Updated: Nov-28-15 1:00 pm
DURHAM, New Hampshire - A study of teens at three New England high schools highlights the need for sexual aggression training programs to encourage intervention, according to researchers at the University of New Hampshire.
- Cincinnati museum planning to add restaurant, charter school Updated: Nov-28-15 12:34 pm
CINCINNATI - The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center is planning to add a Southern-style restaurant and a second charter high school.
- Hostility remains between Republicans, teachers' group Updated: Nov-28-15 10:57 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina Association of Educators was among the state's most influential policy and political advocacy groups when Democrats pulled the levers of power in state government.
- Education advocacy group pushes for voucher program Updated: Nov-27-15 10:45 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A leading advocacy group for the creation of a school voucher program in Tennessee says it will renew efforts to pass a proposal in the next legislative session, despite failures in the past three.
- President's oldest daughter among those scoping out colleges Updated: Nov-27-15 10:43 am
WASHINGTON - Michelle Obama's message for high school seniors fretting about their college prospects is simple.
- Groups try to build support for state school choice program Updated: Nov-27-15 2:05 am
LAS VEGAS - As lawyers duke it out over the constitutionality of Nevada's landmark education savings account program and state officials iron out much-needed regulations, a major question facing ESAs has been who will do the work of building the robust public support the program needs to be successful in the long term.
- Idaho school district discovers bond is $15 million short Updated: Nov-26-15 4:13 pm
BURLEY, Idaho - Underestimated costs mean a $37 million construction bond approved by voters last spring is $15 million below the amount needed, Cassia County School District officials said.
- Chicago Public Schools reverses special education cuts Updated: Nov-26-15 4:20 am
CHICAGO - Chicago Public Schools officials have reversed course and will add dozens of teacher and aide positions for students with special needs.
- Terre Haute Catholic high school closes after 16-year run Updated: Nov-26-15 3:46 am
TERRE HAUTE, Indiana - Terre Haute's only Catholic high school has closed its doors after running out of funding.
- Officials: Red-haired students at middle school bullied Updated: Nov-25-15 9:05 pm
MELROSE, Massachusetts - School officials in a Boston suburb say they are outraged by a bullying incident in which a group of middle school students kicked other students with red hair during a break in classes.
- Brevard High School students face sanction for incidents Updated: Nov-25-15 2:21 pm
BREVARD, North Carolina - A series of racial incidents on and off campus has left three Brevard High School students suspended, two facing criminal charges, and two men arrested, authorities in Transylvania County say.
- Albuquerque police investigate sexting at high school Updated: Nov-25-15 12:59 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The Albuquerque Police Department is investigating after they found students at a high school were sharing naked photos.
- Lincoln students to get wider Internet access at libraries Updated: Nov-25-15 12:31 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The Lincoln Board of Education has approved an agreement with Lincoln City Libraries to connect two broadband networks so that students can go to any library to do research, write papers and do their homework using the school district's network.