- US institute: NKorea launch site upgrade complete Updated: Jul-28-15 1:50 pm
WASHINGTON - Construction to upgrade North Korea's main rocket launch site now appears complete amid expectations in rival South Korea that a launch could take place in October, a U.S. research institute said Tuesday.
- New machines aim to revive troubled New Mexico green chile Updated: Jul-28-15 1:49 pm
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - Efforts are underway to save the green chile that's important to traditional New Mexican fare as labor shortages, a previous severe drought and competition from China, India and Mexico endanger its growth in the state.
- New electric car quick-charging station opens in Portland Updated: Jul-28-15 1:22 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - The largest lineup of electric car quick-charging stations in downtown Portland is open for business.
- NTSB: Co-pilot of spaceship unlocked braking system early Updated: Jul-28-15 1:18 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal safety investigators said Tuesday the crash of a Virgin Galactic spaceship last year was caused by a catastrophic structural failure triggered when the co-pilot unlocked the craft's braking system early.
- Taiwan, Thailand join deal to end tariffs on tech products Updated: Jul-28-15 12:19 pm
BERLIN - The World Trade Organization says Taiwan and Thailand have joined an agreement reached last week to abolish duties on more than 200 technology products.
- Sirius XM matches Street 2Q forecasts Updated: Jul-28-15 11:46 am
NEW YORK - Sirius XM Holdings Inc. reported strong subscriber growth and second-quarter profit on Tuesday and raised its outlook for the year, prompting it to boost its full-year outlook.
- Man accused of using $476K in employer's funds for strippers Updated: Jul-28-15 11:43 am
ST. LOUIS - An Arizona computer engineer for a Missouri-based tech company wrongly racked up nearly a half million dollars in personal charges on his employer's credit card, lavishing much of the money on online strippers, according to a federal indictment accusing him of five wire-fraud counts.
- Scientists worry about arms race in artificial intelligence Updated: Jul-28-15 10:36 am
LONDON - Scientists and tech experts - including professor Stephen Hawking and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak - warned Tuesday of a global arms race with weapons using artificial intelligence.
- Motorola refreshes Android phones, offers better cameras Updated: Jul-28-15 10:28 am
NEW YORK - Motorola is refreshing its Android smartphones with better cameras and other improvements as it seeks to lure customers who want lower-cost alternatives to leading smartphones from Apple and Samsung.
- Auburn students build robot that could have future in retail Updated: Jul-28-15 9:46 am
AUBURN, Alabama - Jianny Five is a docile little robot. Nothing here to fear.
- Detroit launching mobile app as part of parking improvements Updated: Jul-28-15 8:59 am
DETROIT - Detroit is launching a mobile app as part of an effort to improve its parking system.
- CA independent teams to have computer call balls and strikes Updated: Jul-28-15 3:30 am
SAN RAFAEL, California - No blaming or booing the umpire for a questionable called third strike this week in a Northern California independent league.
- Nike offers partial refund to end FuelBand lawsuit Updated: Jul-27-15 7:31 pm
NEW YORK - Nike will give partial refunds or gift cards to people who bought FuelBand fitness trackers in the last 3 1/2 years, resolving a lawsuit that says the products can't accurately tally how many steps a user is taking or how many calories they've burned.
- NY wins $600 million hub for photonics research, development Updated: Jul-27-15 5:12 pm
ROCHESTER, New York - Rochester, whose fortunes have risen and fallen with the demand for futuristic technologies from former powerhouses like Xerox and Kodak, is looking for its next big breakthrough in the field of integrated photonics, a light science with the potential to transform communications, medicine and national defense.
- Apple Watch will be sold at some Best Buy stores Updated: Jul-27-15 5:02 pm
NEW YORK - The Apple Watch is heading to some Best Buy stores ahead of the holiday shopping season.
- Stephen Hawking fields questions on artificial intelligence Updated: Jul-27-15 1:04 pm
LONDON - Have a question about artificial intelligence and think theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking is the man to ask?
- Michigan math champ charts her path to career gold Updated: Jul-27-15 11:26 am
DETROIT - Jackie Bredenberg knows her way around an isosceles triangle, a parallelogram and anything else in the mathematics stratosphere.
- Software turns smartphones into tools for medical research Updated: Jul-27-15 10:46 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Jody Kearns doesn't like to spend time obsessing about her Parkinson's disease. The 56-year-old dietitian from Syracuse, New York, had to give up bicycling because the disorder affected her balance. But she still works, drives and tries to live a normal life.
- China lifting ban on sales of video game consoles Updated: Jul-27-15 8:04 am
BEIJING - China is lifting its ban on sales of video game consoles to promote the industry and a new manufacturing zone in Shanghai.
- Carmaker Tesla to open charging station outside Grand Rapids Updated: Jul-27-15 6:31 am
CASCADE TOWNSHIP, Michigan - Electric car company Tesla Motors is opening a new charging station southeast of Grand Rapids.
- Lawsuit points to hacking by Ethiopia as Obama makes visit Updated: Jul-27-15 3:34 am
WASHINGTON - As President Barack Obama faces pressure to discuss human rights in his first official visit to Ethiopia, a unique lawsuit back home is challenging whether the African country can spy on an American by turning his computer into a giant recording device.
- Mexico police bust greenhouses with genetically modified pot Updated: Jul-26-15 8:13 pm
MEXICO CITY - Federal authorities in Mexico say they arrested 22 Colombians and three Mexicans using greenhouses to grow genetically modified and cloned marijuana.
- US Virgin Islands to file violations against rum operations Updated: Jul-26-15 5:29 pm
KINGSTON, Jamaica - The U.S. Virgin Islands' environmental agency plans to file a violation order against two rum producers on St. Croix as residents of several communities complain of a black mold persistently staining their properties, cars and boats.
- Nevada leaders to get preview of Faraday Future car Updated: Jul-26-15 4:04 pm
LAS VEGAS - North Las Vegas is courting electric car maker Faraday Future to fill an abandoned factory site, but little is known about the company.
- Wildfire watching: Rangers in towers are out, cameras are in Updated: Jul-26-15 3:17 pm
RENO, Nevada - For decades, forest rangers in wooden towers across the West scanned the horizon with binoculars for smoke that could signal the start of a wildfire.