- AP sues over access to FBI records involving fake news story Updated: Aug-27-15 7:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The Associated Press sued the U.S. Department of Justice Thursday over the FBI's failure to provide public records related to the creation of a fake news story used to plant surveillance software on a suspect's computer.
- Sprint offers DirecTV customers free year of phone service Updated: Aug-27-15 5:46 pm
NEW YORK - Sprint is offering DirecTV customers one free year of cellphone service in a bold move aimed at the satellite TV company's new owner, AT&T.
- For the first time, 1 billion people used Facebook in a day Updated: Aug-27-15 5:08 pm
NEW YORK - For the first time, a billion people used Facebook in a single day on Monday.
- Google rejects EU anti-trust allegations as flawed Updated: Aug-27-15 3:40 pm
BRUSSELS - Google rejected on Thursday a complaint by Europe's competition watchdog that the Internet giant is abusing its dominance in Web searches to promote its own products.
- Apple schedules new product event for Sept. 9 Updated: Aug-27-15 3:39 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple has announced plans for a new product event on Sept. 9 in San Francisco, where the giant tech company is expected to show off new iPhones and other gadgets.
- New estimate: Apple shipped 3.6 million watches last quarter Updated: Aug-27-15 3:36 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A new report estimates Apple shipped 3.6 million watches in the last quarter - more than some analysts have estimated and enough to change the competitive landscape for fitness bands and other wearable gadgets.
- Twitter tries to lure in users as it searches for CEO Updated: Aug-27-15 2:45 pm
NEW YORK - Twitter's most urgent task is naming a new CEO. But the most formidable one is convincing more people that its service is essential, easy to use and not just meant for celebrities, 16-year-olds and news junkies.
- Engineers working on plan for I-65 bridge near Lafayette Updated: Aug-27-15 2:25 pm
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - Engineers could soon have a repair plan for an Interstate 65 bridge over Wildcat Creek, according to the Indiana Department of Transportation.
- Amputees decry Medicare payment overhaul for artificial feet Updated: Aug-27-15 1:27 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is trying to disentangle itself from another controversy over Medicare coverage. Amputees are protesting this time, fearing they'll be denied the latest technology for artificial legs and feet.
- Sharks, skateboards, survival debut on Discovery VR network Updated: Aug-27-15 12:55 pm
LOS ANGELES - Discovery is unleashing the first videos for its virtual reality network, Discovery VR, a fledgling service that is testing the limits and capabilities of the immersive format.
- South African prototype may solve solar power problem Updated: Aug-27-15 12:43 pm
JOHANNESBURG - By thinking small, a group of South African scientists may have pioneered solar technology that has stumped Internet giant Google.
- German justice minister asks Facebook to delete racist posts Updated: Aug-27-15 12:43 pm
BERLIN - Germany's justice minister says he wants Facebook to delete racist content faster amid a surge in anti-migrant pages and comments on the social networking site.
- Government lab researchers develop radioactive waste tracker Updated: Aug-27-15 11:42 am
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - Two government lab researchers are in the process of licensing technology that could improve disposing of and tracking radioactive waste.
- New electric car charging station opens in Richmond Updated: Aug-27-15 7:22 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Richmond's Main Street Station parking lot is now home to an electric car charging station.
- Report links hacking scheme to Iran Updated: Aug-27-15 6:13 am
NEW YORK - Researchers have linked a sophisticated hacking scheme targeting Iranian dissidents back to Iran.
- Mobile driver's license app being tested in Iowa Updated: Aug-27-15 5:34 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Iowa Department of Transportation employees have started testing a mobile driver's license app as part of a new pilot program.
- Safe zones for online trade pop up in Twin Cities area Updated: Aug-27-15 5:13 am
MINNEAPOLIS - Sheriffs in the Twin Cities area have set up spots where people can safely complete online trades.
- Pritzker to visit manufacturing design site in Chicago Updated: Aug-27-15 4:35 am
CHICAGO - Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker will visit the Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute on Friday in Chicago.
- Restraint over retweeting urged in Virginia attack video Updated: Aug-27-15 4:16 am
LOS ANGELES - The online reaction spread quickly as expected after a killer posted video of his attack on two former co-workers in the midst of a live news broadcast.
- Grants to help state libraries upgrade computers, software Updated: Aug-27-15 4:04 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee State Library and Archives is providing more than $305,000 in grants to help libraries upgrade their computer equipment and software.
- Review: New phones, tablets keep Samsung at Android helm Updated: Aug-27-15 3:19 am
NEW YORK - Samsung's new smartphones and tablets might not offer enough to entice current iPhone and iPad users to switch, but they keep Samsung at the head of the class among Android gadget makers.
- Secrets have long slipped into State Department email Updated: Aug-27-15 3:06 am
WASHINGTON - During the 2012 attack on U.S. facilities in Benghazi, Libya, State Department officials in Washington were emailing one another with updates in real time. Embedded in those messages were nuggets of classified information, including an apparent reference to a CIA facility that was a closely guarded secret.
- Nevada governor's science office revived, gets new director Updated: Aug-26-15 8:22 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The Governor's Office of Science, Innovation and Technology is getting a fresh start and a new director after being defunct for years.
- Dish and Sinclair agree in principle on new contract Updated: Aug-26-15 7:49 pm
NEW YORK - Dish Network and Sinclair Broadcast Group, one of the largest TV broadcasters in the U.S., said Wednesday they've agreed on the outline of a new contract, one day after Sinclair's channels went dark for Dish customers.
- Tackling goes high-tech at Dartmouth with new dummies Updated: Aug-26-15 5:38 pm
HANOVER, New Hampshire - On the Ivy League campus of Dartmouth College, even the football tackling dummies are smart.