- Judge denies reduced sentence request for 'UNH rapist' Updated: May-07-15 4:40 am
DOVER, New Hampshire - A judge has denied a request for a reduced sentence for a convicted sex offender known as "the UNH rapist."
- Sides aim to settle lawsuit over dropped Medicaid recipients Updated: May-07-15 4:34 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A federal judge has rescheduled a court hearing as attorneys for an Ohio group and the state work to settle a lawsuit involving people terminated from the Medicaid health care program.
- Man who beat Giants fan in LA faces lengthy federal time Updated: May-07-15 4:19 am
LOS ANGELES - A man who smirked as he was sentenced in the savage beating of a San Francisco Giants fan outside Dodger Stadium wants a federal judge to spare him from another lengthy prison sentence for an unrelated gun crime.
- Judge to receive update on Lindsay Lohan's community service Updated: May-07-15 4:13 am
LOS ANGELES - Lindsay Lohan's attorney and a prosecutor are scheduled to update a judge Thursday on the actress' progress on completing 125 additional hours of community service.
- Arraignment in Chicago-area air traffic fire Updated: May-07-15 4:04 am
CHICAGO - A suburban Chicago contractor accused of setting fire to an air traffic control facility is scheduled for arraignment in federal court.
- Chicago Police officer gets 1-year sentence for fraud Updated: May-07-15 3:49 am
CHICAGO - A former Chicago police officer has been sentenced to a year in prison for participating in a scheme to steer business to certain tow truck operators in return for bribes.
- NE Fla woman gets 50 years in prison for sex abuse of minors Updated: May-07-15 3:05 am
ST. AUGUSTINE, Florida - A northeast Florida woman has been sentenced to 50 years in prison for her role in the sexual abuse of minors from a school in Flagler County.
- Gunman who robbed Cleveland city bus driver gets 14 years Updated: May-07-15 3:04 am
CLEVELAND - A judge has sentenced a man who robbed a Cleveland city bus driver at gunpoint last summer to 14 years in prison.
- ACLU, Pittsburgh settling minority police hiring lawsuit Updated: May-07-15 3:04 am
PITTSBURGH - The city of Pittsburgh will introduce measures meant to boost minority police hiring in settling a discrimination lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union three years ago.
- Singapore teen pleads not guilty over online video Updated: May-07-15 2:55 am
SINGAPORE - A Singaporean teenager pleaded not guilty Thursday to two charges over an online video he posted that was critical of Christianity and the nation's late founding prime minister, Lee Kuan Yew.
- Suspended priest due to be sentenced on meth guilty plea Updated: May-07-15 2:46 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A suspended Roman Catholic priest who pleaded guilty to conspiracy to possess and distribute methamphetamine and bought a sex shop to possibly launder his drug money is asking a federal judge for leniency at his sentencing Thursday in Connecticut.
- Judge issues restraining order in alleged ND man camp scheme Updated: May-07-15 2:34 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - A federal judge has granted a temporary restraining order against a company accused of defrauding people who invested in housing projects in the North Dakota and Montana oil patch.
- Relative: Marathon bomber followed older brother's lead Updated: May-07-15 2:31 am
BOSTON - A former brother-in-law of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev says Tsarnaev was close to his brother and followed his older sibling's lead.
- Kansas court panel to consider blocking school funding law Updated: May-07-15 2:29 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A court panel in Kansas is considering whether to block a new education funding law at the request of four public school districts that contend the statute distributes state aid in ways that harm programs for poor and minority students.
- St. Louis man charged in killing of Illinois college student Updated: May-07-15 2:19 am
HAZELWOOD, Missouri - A St. Louis man has been arrested and charged with murder in the slaying of a 19-year-old Illinois college student who went missing while trying to sell his sports car on Craigslist, authorities said.
- Jury convicts man in 2014 beating death of elderly father Updated: May-07-15 1:58 am
DOYLESTOWN, Pennsylvania - A suburban Philadelphia man has been convicted in the death of his elderly father during a fight last year.
- Palmdale agrees to voting changes to settle lawsuit Updated: May-07-15 1:52 am
PALMDALE, California - Palmdale is changing its voting system to settle a lawsuit that claimed its at-large method discriminated against black and Hispanic voters.
- New Zealander, 25, stands trial in China on drug charges Updated: May-07-15 1:43 am
GUANGZHOU, China - A 25-year-old New Zealander standing trial on charges of trying to smuggle methamphetamine testified Thursday that he came to China to buy a muscle-building supplement and didn't check the package he purchased before trying to depart.
- Jurors to begin penalty deliberations for man who killed 6 Updated: May-06-15 11:14 pm
SEATTLE - Now it's up to jurors in Seattle to decide whether a man convicted of killing six members of a Carnation, Washington, family on Christmas Eve 2007 should be sentenced to death or life in prison without parole.
- Federal charge filed against former MillerCoors official Updated: May-06-15 10:02 pm
CHICAGO - A former vice president at MillerCoors and seven other defendants are facing federal charges, accused of defrauding the company of at least $7 million, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Chicago announced Wednesday.
- Man charged after home explosion pleads not guilty Updated: May-06-15 9:41 pm
CANON CITY, Colorado - A man accused of sparking a natural gas explosion at his Canon City home in an attempt to kill himself has pleaded not guilty.
- 2 ex-Wilmington Trust executives indicted in bank fraud case Updated: May-06-15 9:14 pm
DOVER, Delaware - Two former top executives of Wilmington Trust were indicted by a federal grand jury Wednesday on charges of making false statements to government officials about the troubled loan portfolio that led to the bank's demise.
- Oxfam America presses SEC on drafting disclosure regulations Updated: May-06-15 8:53 pm
BOSTON - The aid group Oxfam America is pressing federal officials to draft regulations aimed at requiring U.S.-listed oil, gas, and mining companies to publish what they pay to governments for access to natural resources in foreign countries.
- Nevada panel considers bill allowing victim hearsay in court Updated: May-06-15 8:44 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - A bill up for debate in the Nevada Legislature would allow prosecutors to present an alleged victim's written or recorded statement to police, rather than their in-person testimony in a courtroom, as evidence during the early stages of some sensitive criminal cases.
- Man gets 4 years in crash that killed friend Updated: May-06-15 8:26 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - A Baltimore man who led police on a chase in Annapolis that ended with his car crashing into a tree and killing a friend has been sentenced to 4 years in prison.