- Father of slain Ala girl sentenced to prison on gun charge Updated: May-22-15 12:47 pm
MOBILE, Alabama - A south Alabama man charged in the death of his 8-year-old daughter is going to federal prison in another case.
- Lawyer: Ex-NFLer Aaron Hernandez, now in prison, low on cash Updated: May-22-15 12:46 pm
NEW BEDFORD, Massachusetts - An attorney for Aaron Hernandez says the former New England Patriots player is running out of money because he's had to pay so many lawyers.
- Tobacco firms get partial win over claims on smoking effects Updated: May-22-15 12:45 pm
WASHINGTON - America's largest tobacco companies must inform consumers that cigarettes were designed to increase addiction, but not that they lied to the public about the dangers of smoking, a federal appeals court ruled on Friday.
- Ex-con who worked for rich family arrested in their deaths Updated: May-22-15 12:31 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. marshals and police tracked down and arrested a dangerous ex-convict and five others, bringing a sudden and safe ending to a multistate manhunt in the slayings of a wealthy Washington family and their housekeeper, authorities said Friday.
- Prescott woman on trial for killing bed-ridden husband Updated: May-22-15 12:28 pm
PRESCOTT, Arizona - After a fast jury selection, the trial has begun for a Prescott woman charged with teaming up with her lover to suffocate her bed-ridden husband.
- Michigan state senator awaits key hearing in assault case Updated: May-22-15 12:24 pm
DETROIT - A Michigan state senator accused of shooting at his ex-wife's car during a dispute at his Detroit home is due back in court next month for a key hearing.
- Drew Peterson granted trial delay in murder-for-hire case Updated: May-22-15 12:22 pm
CHESTER, Illinois - A southern Illinois judge has granted Drew Peterson's request to delay his trial on charges that the former suburban Chicago police sergeant plotted to kill the prosecutor who helped convict him in the death of his third wife.
- HSBC getting new trial in securities class action lawsuit Updated: May-22-15 12:21 pm
NEW YORK - A federal appeals court has awarded HSBC a new trial in a securities class action suit that ended with a $2.46 billion judgment against the company.
- Dump truck driver in deadly crash indicted Updated: May-22-15 12:16 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A dump truck driver who pushed a car into a New Jersey lake, killing its driver, has been indicted by a grand jury.
- Man convicted in 1 NY murder pleads guilty to another Updated: May-22-15 12:04 pm
NEW YORK - A serial stabber already serving time for one murder has pleaded guilty to another.
- Former Fargo jail nurse accused of sex with inmate pleads Updated: May-22-15 11:59 am
FARGO, North Dakota - A former nurse accused of having sex with a male inmate at the Cass County Jail in Fargo has changed her plea.
- Scott signs bill to let children secretly tape their rapists Updated: May-22-15 11:56 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Children will now be able to secretly record people who rape them under a bill Gov. Rick Scott signed.
- After week in jail, Florida mom agrees to son's circumcision Updated: May-22-15 11:46 am
DELRAY BEACH, Florida - A Florida woman's yearslong battle against her child's father over the boy's circumcision ended Friday with her agreeing to the procedure in exchange for her release from jail.
- Police: Hagerstown man confessed to strangling stepdaughter Updated: May-22-15 11:40 am
HAGERSTOWN, Maryland - A man has confessed to strangling his 17-year-old stepdaughter and concealing her naked body, Hagerstown police said in court documents released Friday.
- Nebraska high court upholds woman's life sentence for murder Updated: May-22-15 11:35 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The Nebraska Supreme Court has affirmed the life sentence of a woman who killed her boyfriend's 68-year-old mother in 2013.
- Boston man gets prison for taking 3 to work as prostitutes Updated: May-22-15 11:13 am
BANGOR, Maine - Federal prosecutors say a 28-year-old Boston man has been sentenced to nearly four years in prison for aiding and abetting the interstate transportation of women for prostitution.
- Judge dismisses homicide charges against Gloucester couple Updated: May-22-15 10:44 am
GLOUCESTER, Virginia - A judge has dismissed homicide charges against a Gloucester County couple on trial in the death of their infant son.
- 2 plead guilty in Casper in counterfeiting case Updated: May-22-15 10:26 am
CASPER, Wyoming - A man and a woman have pleaded guilty to counterfeiting-related charges in federal court in Casper.
- Judge orders 2nd review of murder suspect's mental health Updated: May-22-15 10:23 am
KETCHUM, Idaho - A judge has ordered a new evaluation to determine if a man accused of killing a Camas County businessman twelve years ago is mentally fit to stand trial.
- Undercover Albuquerque officer shot in drug string may sue Updated: May-22-15 10:22 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - An Albuquerque officer accidentally shot by a superior during a low-level drug bust may sue the Albuquerque Police Department.
- Annette Bosworth trial continues with additional testimony Updated: May-22-15 9:52 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - Testimony continues in former South Dakota political candidate Annette Bosworth's election law violation trial, with jurors expected to hear from Bosworth directly.
- Grand jury probes utility's ties with California regulators Updated: May-22-15 9:52 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A federal grand jury is probing potentially illegal ties between executives with California's largest utility and state regulatory officials.
- Jury finds man not guilty in death of 8-month-old daughter Updated: May-22-15 9:46 am
GREENEVILLE, Tennessee - A Greene County Criminal Court jury has found a father not guilty in the killing of his eight-month-old daughter.
- Judge tosses portion of lawsuit in girl's bullying death Updated: May-22-15 9:41 am
LAKELAND, Florida - A judge has tossed a portion of a lawsuit that alleged negligence against a cement company in the death of a 12-year-old central Florida girl who committed suicide after being bullied.
- Burlington man gets life in prison for killing bicyclist Updated: May-22-15 9:17 am
BURLINGTON, Iowa - A 39-year-old man has been sentenced to life in prison for fatally shooting a Burlington bicyclist last summer.