- Jury finds former Viking Voigt guilty of bank fraud Updated: Feb-05-16 10:05 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Former Minnesota Vikings tight end Stu Voigt has been found guilty of one count of bank fraud.
- Judges strike down 2 North Carolina congressional districts Updated: Feb-05-16 9:51 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Federal judges struck down late Friday two majority black congressional districts in North Carolina, saying race was the predominant factor in drawing those lines but state legislators lacked justification in using that practice.
- Missouri defends law capping cities' traffic ticket revenue Updated: Feb-05-16 9:50 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A new Missouri law overhauling the state's municipal courts and police departments violates the separation of powers, defies the state constitution's limits on unfunded mandates and unfairly singles out the St. Louis area, an attorney representing 12 St. Louis County municipalities told a courtroom Friday.
- Man gets 75 years in pal's killing after $700 Super Bowl bet Updated: Feb-05-16 9:49 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A New Jersey man convicted of killing his longtime friend over a $700 Super Bowl bet has been sentenced to 75 years in prison.
- Couple wanted in crime spree led police on chase; 1 killed Updated: Feb-05-16 9:12 pm
MILTON, Florida - A weeklong search for a Missouri couple wanted in a series of robberies and abductions across the South ended with one suspect dead and the other wounded Friday, after authorities say they chased the pair across the highway and through a rural neighborhood and exchanged gunfire with them in Florida's Panhandle.
- Hung jury declared in trial of former Illinois prosecutor Updated: Feb-05-16 8:55 pm
QUINCY, Illinois - A judge on Friday ordered a new trial for a former Illinois prosecutor charged with murder in the Valentine's Day 2006 death of his first wife, after jurors said they couldn't reach a verdict.
- California man convicted of robbing Craigslist customers Updated: Feb-05-16 8:43 pm
OAKLAND, California - A Northern California man has been convicted of participating in an elaborate jewelry robbery ring that used online ad service Craigslist to lure victims, prosecutors announced Friday.
- 11-year-old boy convicted of killing 8-year-old girl Updated: Feb-05-16 8:27 pm
WHITE PINE, Tennessee - An 11-year-old boy in Tennessee has been found guilty of murdering an 8-year-old girl after she and her sister refused to let him see their puppies.
- Chisago Lake man found guilty of murder for providing drugs Updated: Feb-05-16 8:20 pm
CENTER CITY, Minnesota - A Chisago County man was accused of giving cocaine to a woman who was missing for months has been found guilty of third-degree murder, but was acquitted of concealing her body.
- Jury finds Mandan man guilty on manslaughter, arson charges Updated: Feb-05-16 7:55 pm
MANDAN, North Dakota - A Mandan man accused of killing a friend and setting a mobile home on fire to cover up the crime has been convicted on a lesser charge.
- Judge who presided over Martha Stewart's NY trial dies at 86 Updated: Feb-05-16 7:40 pm
NEW YORK - A federal judge who presided over Martha Stewart's criminal trial in New York has died. Miriam Cedarbaum was 86.
- Former UMass student convicted of rape Updated: Feb-05-16 7:38 pm
NORTHAMPTON, Massachusetts - A former University of Massachusetts student has been convicted of raping a woman on the Amherst campus.
- Doctor gets 30 to life after painkiller overdose deaths Updated: Feb-05-16 7:33 pm
LOS ANGELES - A Los Angeles-area doctor convicted of second-degree murder for prescribing pain killers that killed three patients was sentenced Friday to 30 years to life in prison in a landmark case that many in the medical community believe will create a chilling effect among physicians across the country.
- Man sentenced to life in the 2011 murder of his wife Updated: Feb-05-16 7:17 pm
LAWRENCEVILLE, Georgia - A suburban Atlanta judge has sentenced a man to life in prison without parole in the 2011 death of his wife.
- Lawyer: New York-born man was mistreated after terror arrest Updated: Feb-05-16 7:16 pm
NEW YORK - The lawyer for a New York City-born man serving a 15-year prison sentence for supporting al-Qaida urged a judge Friday to find the U.S. government liable for failing to quickly diagnose a medical condition after his 2010 arrest, but a federal prosecutor said he was treated properly.
- Somerset Co. man gets 12 years in heroin overdose death Updated: Feb-05-16 7:11 pm
SOMERVILLE, New Jersey - A Somerset County man has been sentenced to 12 years in prison for selling heroin to a man who overdosed and died.
- Borgata to stop paying taxes until Atlantic City pays $62.5M Updated: Feb-05-16 7:10 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Atlantic City's Borgata casino says it will stop making tax payments until the city hands over $62.5 million in court-ordered tax refunds.
- Calif. attorney joins effort to recover Nazi-looted painting Updated: Feb-05-16 7:07 pm
LOS ANGELES - California's attorney general is asking a federal appeals court to reverse a ruling allowing a priceless 19th century painting to remain in a Spanish museum rather than going to the heirs of a Jewish woman forced to hand it over to the Nazis during the Holocaust.
- Houston man convicted, gets life in slaying over sneakers Updated: Feb-05-16 7:02 pm
HOUSTON - A Texas jury has convicted a 21-year-old Houston man of capital murder in the 2012 fatal shooting of a man over a pair of Air Jordan sneakers the man had just bought.
- Idaho's interim committees still working on suggestions Updated: Feb-05-16 6:59 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho lawmakers who spent last summer dissecting some of the state's most contentious issues have yet to submit legislation, but key leaders remain hopeful that proposals will be finalized before the end of the session.
- Court rejects AG Kane's request to reinstate law license Updated: Feb-05-16 6:58 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen Kane's law license will remain suspended after the state's highest court on Friday denied her request to have it reinstated while she fights criminal charges of leaking secret grand jury material and lying about it.
- Man gets life in the shooting death of restaurant employee Updated: Feb-05-16 6:54 pm
ATLANTA - Prosecutors say a man has been sentenced to life in prison in the 2014 shooting death of a restaurant employee in suburban Atlanta.
- Lawyer: Omission of witness crippled 'Serial' case's defense Updated: Feb-05-16 6:47 pm
BALTIMORE - An attorney told a Baltimore judge Friday that a witness who could have provided an alibi for the convicted killer at the center of the popular "Serial" podcast would have been "critical" in the man's first trial, had she been contacted by his original defense team.
- Man and teen plead guilty in fatal Iowa drag race Updated: Feb-05-16 6:43 pm
DAVENPORT, Iowa - A man and a teenager have pleaded guilty to charges in connection to a drag racing crash that killed an elderly couple.
- Jury convicts Herreid woman of setting fire to own bar Updated: Feb-05-16 6:33 pm
HERREID, South Dakota - A South Dakota woman accused of setting fire to her own bar to get insurance money has been convicted of arson.