- Pennsylvania man facing trial in slaying of girlfriend's cat Updated: Oct-07-15 5:39 am
EASTON, Pennsylvania - An eastern Pennsylvania man who police say beat his girlfriend's cat to death for scratching him will face trial.
- Pakistani court upholds death sentence in blasphemy killing Updated: Oct-07-15 5:30 am
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan's Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence for a former police officer convicted of killing a provincial governor he had accused of blasphemy.
- Man gets life in prison for fatal Christmas shooting Updated: Oct-07-15 5:26 am
RIVERHEAD, New York - A 21-year-old man was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for shooting a Long Island man to death on Christmas morning during a botched robbery.
- Dispute between Utah honey producers heads to state court Updated: Oct-07-15 5:01 am
SALT LAKE CITY - The owner of a honey company is taking his case against a beekeeping competitor and Cache and Box Elder counties to state district court over alleged conflicts of interest and unreasonable treatment.
- Alabama judge awards family $3.5M in TVA plant asbestos case Updated: Oct-07-15 4:31 am
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - The family of a Florence woman has been awarded $3.5 million after the woman died of a lung disease that the family says was caused by her having laundered clothes that had been exposed to asbestos.
- Lawsuit: Cable company hired man charged with sex crime Updated: Oct-07-15 4:23 am
HACKENSACK, New Jersey - A northern New Jersey woman has filed a lawsuit against the Time Warner Cable Company, claiming a technician accused of raping her in her home should not have been hired.
- Man charged in fatal stabbing found incompetent for trial Updated: Oct-07-15 4:12 am
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey - A northern New Jersey man charged with fatally stabbing his parents and 3-year-old niece has been ruled not competent to stand trial.
- Man convicted of pushing wife off cliff has appeal Thursday Updated: Oct-07-15 4:10 am
SCARBOROUGH, Maine - Maine's highest court will hear arguments in the appeal of a man who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for pushing his wife off a cliff.
- Thousands of drug inmates approved for early prison release Updated: Oct-07-15 4:02 am
WASHINGTON - Drug criminals once described by prosecutors as unrepentant repeat offenders are among those poised to benefit from new sentencing guidelines that are shrinking punishments for thousands of federal prisoners, according to an Associated Press review of court records.
- Man gets 10 years in prison in Shawnee County cocaine case Updated: Oct-07-15 3:55 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A Pennsylvania man who authorities say was stopped on a western Shawnee County highway with more than 13 pounds of cocaine in his possession has been sentenced to 10 years in federal prison.
- Ex-Army Corps spokesman pleads guilty to child pornography charges Updated: Oct-07-15 3:20 am
HARRISONBURG, Virginia - A Winchester man has pleaded guilty to child pornography charges.
- 16-year-old in family stabbing case seeking juvenile status Updated: Oct-07-15 3:06 am
TULSA, Oklahoma - A 16-year-old accused in the stabbing deaths of his parents and three siblings is asking a judge to determine whether he should be considered a youthful offender or juvenile delinquent in the case.
- 2 Tampa jurors in 2 trials found guilty of doing research Updated: Oct-07-15 3:02 am
TAMPA, Florida - For the second time in four days, a juror in Tampa was found guilty of contempt for violating a judge's order that she not do outside research on a criminal case.
- Wylie man gets 25 years in prison in in sexual abuse of girl Updated: Oct-07-15 2:30 am
WYLIE, Texas - A 23-year-old Wylie man accused of pretending to be a high school student has been sentenced to 25 years in prison.
- Financial regulators move to restrict forced arbitration Updated: Oct-07-15 1:49 am
NEW YORK - The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is considering rules that would severely curtail a contentious practice called forced arbitration, which consumer advocates have long argued does a disservice to people who have disputes with banks, credit card issuers and other financial service providers.
- Chicago gun laws not as strict as they once were Updated: Oct-07-15 1:09 am
CHICAGO - The mass shooting at an Oregon community college last week thrust the debate over the nation's gun laws to the center of the presidential race. At least some of the Republicans who are running have pointed to Chicago as proof that gun control does not work.
- Trial to begin for teen charged in teacher's rape, killing Updated: Oct-07-15 1:08 am
SALEM, Massachusetts - A jury will be chosen to hear the case of Philip Chism, a Massachusetts teenager accused of raping and killing his math teacher.
- Bank of China ordered to release counterfeiters' records Updated: Oct-07-15 12:18 am
SHANGHAI - A New York judge has ordered the Bank of China to hand over detailed information about Chinese bank accounts used by a counterfeiting ring that allegedly sold millions of dollars of fake Gucci handbags and wallets in the U.S.
- Shooter tackled by teacher in school to be tried as juvenile Updated: Oct-07-15 12:05 am
LACEY, Washington - A 17-year-old accused of firing two shots into the air at a high school in Lacey will be tried in juvenile court.
- Judge blocks Montana from using drug in executions Updated: Oct-06-15 11:28 pm
HELENA, Montana - A judge on Tuesday blocked Montana from using a particular drug in lethal injections, effectively halting executions in the state until an adequate substitute can be found or lawmakers change the law.
- Cartel enforcer admits 9 murders but won't name associates Updated: Oct-06-15 11:17 pm
VISALIA, California - Once Jose Manuel Martinez acknowledged a vast killing spree that included nine people in California, officials set out to decide whether the self-described cartel enforcer actually carried out the horrific crimes.
- Southern California woman alleges excessive police as force Updated: Oct-06-15 10:48 pm
SAN DIEGO - A Southern California woman is suing the city of Carlsbad, alleging that police in the San Diego suburb unjustly beat her after she was pulled over for a seat belt violation.
- Boy, 15, held after gun hidden in Saginaw school bathroom Updated: Oct-06-15 9:17 pm
SAGINAW, Michigan - A judge has refused to release a 15-year-old boy accused of bringing a loaded gun to a Saginaw school.
- Former car dealer pleads guilty in $50 million fraud Updated: Oct-06-15 9:09 pm
LOS ANGELES - A Southern California man who spent nearly three decades on the run has pleaded guilty to defrauding banks out of nearly $50 million while running the nation's third-largest car dealership.
- 2 acquitted in drug-related shooting death of Colorado man Updated: Oct-06-15 9:06 pm
BOULDER, Colorado - A jury has acquitted two men charged in the shooting death of a Colorado man whose body was found along a Wyoming highway.