- Jennifer Lawrence donating $2 million to hometown hospital Updated: Feb-13-16 11:57 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Actress Jennifer Lawrence is donating $2 million to a Kentucky hospital where she visited sick youngsters during a recent holiday trip home.
- Gaming commissioner resigns after details of probe emerge Updated: Feb-12-16 7:09 pm
SPARKS, Nevada - A Nevada gaming control commissioner resigned Friday after details of a federal investigation surfaced involving The Nugget in Sparks that was under the ownership of her family.
- Louisiana governor's speech stokes fears, threatens football Updated: Feb-12-16 6:21 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov. John Bel Edwards' talk of shuttered hospitals, college closures and a canceled football season for the LSU Tigers drew attention Friday to Louisiana's deep budget woes, mixed with criticism that the Democratic governor was fear-mongering.
- 2 ex-daycare workers ordered to pay $2.3M in boy's death Updated: Feb-12-16 9:54 am
NOBLESVILLE, Indiana - Two former workers at a suburban Indianapolis day care where a 5-month-old boy died in 2013 have been order to pay the child's parents more than $2.3 million.
- School voucher bill stalls in House amid flagging support Updated: Feb-11-16 5:42 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A proposal to create a school voucher program stalled in the House on Thursday despite efforts to drum up support among wary rural lawmakers by limiting the areas of Tennessee where parents could receive state money to pay for private school tuition.
- Bill would help families of first responders killed on duty Updated: Feb-10-16 2:26 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The families of law enforcement officers and other first responders killed on duty would receive increased benefits under a bill unanimously passed by the Florida Senate.
- NY lawmakers propose tax deferrals to defray childcare costs Updated: Feb-09-16 2:50 pm
ALBANY, New York - Democrats in the New York state Senate say the state should allow families with young children to defer some of their state income taxes to help them cover the cost of childcare.
- Regulators remove CEO of West Texas nonprofit from oversight Updated: Feb-06-16 3:11 pm
LUBBOCK, Texas - Child welfare officials have barred the CEO of a West Texas nonprofit from having any involvement with the group's finances or foster children.
- Text of Alabama governor's State of the State speech Updated: Feb-02-16 7:31 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The following is the text of Alabama Governor Robert Bentley's 2016 State of the State speech prepared for delivery Tuesday night: