- Scandal-hit VW to change diesel emissions technology Updated: Oct-13-15 9:22 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Volkswagen's flagship brand plans to change its diesel technology in Europe and North America as well as develop new hybrid and electric vehicles in response to its emissions scandal.
- Toyota promises better mileage and ride with Prius hybrid Updated: Oct-13-15 5:58 am
TOKYO - Toyota Motor Corp. released details for its fourth-generation Prius on Tuesday, promising that improvements in the battery, engine, wind resistance and weight mean better mileage for the world's top-selling hybrid car.
- CU-Boulder gets $1 million for NASA to make space videos Updated: Oct-13-15 5:01 am
LONGMONT, Colorado - The University of Colorado is receiving $1 million from NASA to develop educational videos about space-related discoveries that will be distributed to planetariums across the nation.
- VW diesel cars recalled in China, sales halted in Singapore Updated: Oct-12-15 6:44 am
BEIJING - Volkswagen said Monday it is recalling 1,950 diesel vehicles in China to change engine software it has admitted cheats on emissions tests and Singapore suspended sales of the company's diesel cars.
- VW recalls diesel vehicles in China to correct emissions Updated: Oct-12-15 1:21 am
BEIJING - Volkswagen is recalling 1,950 diesel vehicles in China to correct engine software that the automaker has admitted cheats on emissions tests.
- Former governor begins tour to promote energy book Updated: Oct-09-15 3:54 pm
HELENA, Montana - Former Gov. Brian Schweitzer is kicking off a Montana tour to promote his new book on the future of energy in the U.S.
- California grooms utility giants to compete against Big Oil Updated: Oct-08-15 6:38 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California wants more drivers to dump the pump.
- VW executive apologizes but says scandal not his fault Updated: Oct-08-15 4:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Volkswagen's top U.S. executive offered deep apologies yet sought to distance himself Thursday from the emissions scandal enveloping the world's largest automaker, asserting top corporate officials had no knowledge of the cheating software installed in 11 million diesel cars.
- The Latest: Lawmakers press EPA on its response to VW case Updated: Oct-08-15 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on the congressional hearing on Volkswagen's emissions-rigging (all times local):
- Hamburgers might be on the menu for Russian cosmonauts Updated: Oct-08-15 11:07 am
MOSCOW - Hamburgers could soon be debuting on Russian menus in space.
- EPA investigating VW emissions controls in 2016 diesels Updated: Oct-07-15 8:32 pm
WASHINGTON - Volkswagen plans to withdraw applications seeking U.S. emissions certifications for its 2016 model Jettas, Golfs, Passats and Beetles with diesel engines, raising the possibility that an emissions-rigging device similar to earlier models is also included in its new cars.
- New auto safety technologies leave some drivers bewildered Updated: Oct-07-15 11:34 am
WASHINGTON - Many Americans buying new cars these days are baffled by a torrent of new safety technology.
- Israeli team advances in contest to send spacecraft to moon Updated: Oct-07-15 11:27 am
JERUSALEM - A team of Israeli engineers is the first to advance in an international competition sponsored by Google to send a privately-funded spacecraft to the moon, contest organizers announced Wednesday.
- Researchers say charging stations key to electric cars Updated: Oct-06-15 2:17 pm
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - An Idaho National Laboratory study has found that widespread adoption of electric vehicles could reduce the country's gas consumption, but that the availability of charging stations will determine if more people buy.
- Toyota shows self-driving technology being readied for 2020 Updated: Oct-06-15 7:21 am
TOKYO - Toyota unveiled its vision for self-driving cars in a challenge to other automakers as well as industry newcomer Google Inc., promising to start selling such vehicles in Japan by 2020.
- South Bend students get manufacturing pitch Updated: Oct-06-15 5:01 am
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - When trying to get a work permit for his 14-year-old son, Dan Adams, co-owner and chief technology officer of Manufacturing Technology Inc., ran into some frustrating misconceptions about his industry.
- How to prepare for Mars? NASA consults Navy sub force Updated: Oct-05-15 8:36 am
GROTON, Connecticut - As NASA contemplates a manned voyage to Mars and the effects missions deeper into space could have on astronauts, it's tapping research from another outfit with experience sending people to the deep: the U.S. Navy submarine force.
- Purdue student simulates NASA mission to Mars Updated: Oct-05-15 8:27 am
LAFAYETTE, Indiana - As Jocelyn Dunn drove closer to the top of the volcano, she noticed that plant life started to recede. Animal life was no where to be found. Civilization faded into the rear-view mirror.
- Tulsa professors work to make edible algae for space travel Updated: Oct-03-15 12:32 pm
TULSA, Oklahoma - Professors and students at the University of Tulsa are developing a system to help astronauts grow their own food during future space missions.
- Spanish police probe garages offering emission cheating Updated: Oct-03-15 10:36 am
MADRID - Spanish police have cracked down on a string of garages that allegedly provided customers with mechanical and software services that enabled their cars to cheat emission checks in a scam similar to that which has engulfed Volkswagen, a statement said Saturday.
- US regulator missed its best chance to catch VW cheating Updated: Oct-02-15 8:19 am
CHICAGO - More than a decade ago, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency helped develop a technology that ultimately was used by an independent laboratory to catch Volkswagen's elaborate cheating on car emissions tests. But EPA used the technology primarily to test trucks rather than passenger cars because such heavy equipment was a much bigger polluter.
- GM warns the Valley: Prepare to compete over driverless cars Updated: Oct-01-15 3:19 pm
MILFORD TOWNSHIP, Michigan - Move that tiny self-driving pod out of the way.
- Panel seeks to extend freeze on Ohio green energy targets Updated: Sep-30-15 5:19 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Government requirements for the use of solar, wind and other forms of renewable energy by Ohio power companies would be suspended indefinitely under recommendations released Wednesday by a legislative panel.
- The Latest: Nordic nations ponder action against VW Updated: Sep-30-15 10:59 am
BERLIN - The latest developments in the Volkswagen emissions scandal. All times local.
- Tesla's first SUV, the Model X, is finally hitting the road Updated: Sep-30-15 1:04 am
FREMONT, California - Electric vehicle maker Tesla Motors has mastered the sporty two-seater and the elegant sedan. Now, it wants to conquer the family hauler.