- India hangs only man sentenced to die for 1993 Mumbai blasts Updated: Jul-30-15 11:11 am
NEW DELHI - Ignoring pleas and petitions by civil society groups, India on Thursday hanged an accountant convicted of supporting the 1993 Mumbai bombings that killed 257 people in the country's worst terrorist attack.
- Myanmar pardons China loggers among nearly 7,000 prisoners Updated: Jul-30-15 6:56 am
YANGON, Myanmar - More than 150 Chinese workers sentenced to life in prison for illegal logging were freed in Myanmar on Thursday under a massive presidential pardon that included nearly 7,000 prisoners.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: Jul-15-15 2:52 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- Obama calls for shorter sentences for nonviolent convicts Updated: Jul-14-15 7:54 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Calling it an issue America can't afford to ignore, President Barack Obama laid out an expansive vision Tuesday for fixing the criminal justice system by focusing on communities, courtrooms and cellblocks. He announced a federal review of the use of solitary confinement and urged Congress to pass a sentencing reform bill by year's end.
- New Mexico man among those to have sentence commuted Updated: Jul-13-15 7:44 pm
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - A New Mexico man is among the dozens of nonviolent drug offenders who had their sentences commuted by President Barack Obama on Monday.
- Obama commutes sentences of 2 Louisiana men Updated: Jul-13-15 4:16 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Two Louisiana men were among 46 inmates nationwide whose prison sentences for non-violent drug offenses were commuted by President Barack Obama.
- President Obama cuts sentence for Alabama prison inmate Updated: Jul-13-15 3:56 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - President Barack Obama has cut prison the sentence for an Alabama inmate as part of a larger effort to ease the punishment of those serving more time than their crimes warranted.
- President Obama commutes sentences of 2 Georgia inmates Updated: Jul-13-15 3:45 pm
ATLANTA - President Barack Obama has cut prison sentences for two federal Georgia inmates as part of a larger effort to ease the punishment of those serving more time than their crimes warranted.
- Obama commutes sentences of 11 convicts in Florida Updated: Jul-13-15 2:14 pm
WASHINGTON - Five Florida men serving life sentences for drug crimes have had those prison terms cut by President Barack Obama.
- Obama commutations include 2 Chicago men, 1 from Gary Updated: Jul-13-15 1:48 pm
CHICAGO - Two Chicago men, including one serving a life sentence, and a Gary, Indiana man were among nearly four dozen non-violent offenders whose prison sentences President Barack Obama has commuted.
- Territory governor commutes predecessor's prison sentence Updated: Jul-07-15 1:42 pm
HAGATNA, Guam - The former governor of a territory west of Hawaii who pleaded guilty to corruption charges in May is getting medical treatment instead of prison time.