- Drought across West could create perfect storm fire season Updated: May-04-15 9:38 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Drought and weather conditions across the West could create ideal conditions for simultaneous wildfires and make it tougher for Nevada to get out-of-state aid, fire officials said.
- The Latest on Nepal: EU approves millions in funding support Updated: May-04-15 10:13 am
7:45 p.m. (1400 GMT)
- Oklahoma lawmakers focus on budget as Legislature nears end Updated: May-02-15 2:58 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - For the second straight year, Oklahoma's budget writers are scrambling to fill a significant shortfall in the state budget for the upcoming year as lawmakers enter the final month of the 2015 legislative session.
- Obama declares disaster from severe Kentucky storms Updated: May-01-15 7:11 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - President Barack Obama has declared a major disaster in parts of Kentucky affected by severe winter storms.
- Branstad declares state of emergency in response to bird flu Updated: May-01-15 6:10 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A state of emergency was declared Friday by Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad with nearly 17 million chickens and turkeys dead, dying or scheduled to be euthanized due to a widening bird flu outbreak.
- California Senate Democrats call out Jerry Brown over water Updated: Apr-30-15 8:43 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's Democratic senators have called out Gov. Jerry Brown over water spending, saying that in the face of the relentless drought the state should more quickly approve funds to recycle and save water.
- Baltimore riot damage adds burden to small businesses Updated: Apr-30-15 6:05 pm
BALTIMORE - Richard Sung Kang's American dream came crashing down in a shower of broken glass.
- Michigan governor wants overhaul of troubled Detroit schools Updated: Apr-30-15 5:58 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder on Thursday outlined a sweeping overhaul of Detroit's troubled state-run school district, proposing to divide its operations to address the "crushing" debt he said is hurting education in a city just months removed from bankruptcy.
- State officials cite increased potential for wildfires Updated: Apr-30-15 5:32 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona officials said a large swath of the state will have an increased risk for wildfires in 2015 after recent wet weather has spurred the growth of grasses, weeds and brush that often fuel big fires.
- Mortgage giants seen needing up to $157B in aid in disaster Updated: Apr-30-15 4:31 pm
WASHINGTON - Results of financial "stress tests" show that mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, rescued by taxpayers in the 2008 crisis, would need as much as $157.3 billion in additional aid in a severe U.S. and global recession.
- 1st batch of avian flu emergency aid clears House Updated: Apr-29-15 9:23 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The first batch of emergency money to help Minnesota agencies combat the spread of the avian flu affecting poultry farms is one step from Gov. Mark Dayton's desk.
- Flint's finances in better shape; no more emergency managers Updated: Apr-29-15 6:23 pm
FLINT, Michigan - Calling it a "new day" for the long-troubled city, Gov. Rick Snyder declared an end to Flint's financial emergency Wednesday after the state approved a $7 million loan to eliminate a budget deficit.
- Louisiana editorial roundup Updated: Apr-29-15 3:25 pm
Recent editorials from Louisiana newspapers:
- $4 million in US projects aim to protect sage grouse habitat Updated: Apr-29-15 2:11 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Interior Secretary Sally Jewell on Wednesday announced more than $4 million in projects in four states as part of a wildfire-fighting strategy to protect a wide swath of intermountain West sagebrush country that supports cattle ranching and is home to a struggling bird species.
- In quake-hit Nepal, rescuers struggle to recover the dead Updated: Apr-28-15 12:58 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - For hours after Nepal was shaken by one of the most intense earthquakes here in nearly a century, 12-year-old Neha Chumda screamed for help.
- In post-quake aid rush, Nepal neighbors jockey for position Updated: Apr-27-15 9:36 pm
BEIJING - Wedged between the two rising Asian powers of China and India, landlocked Nepal watched rescuers and offers of help pour in from both sides within hours of an earthquake that killed more than 4,000 people.
- Global effort to help Nepal earthquake victims intensifies Updated: Apr-27-15 12:35 pm
LONDON - The desperate effort to save lives in earthquake-ravaged Nepal intensified Monday as aid flights arrived carrying emergency medical teams, search-and-rescue equipment and tarps for shelter.
- Financial boost provides silver lining to lava emergency Updated: Apr-26-15 5:50 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - There was a silver lining in the lava flow emergency that threatened Puna over the past months - an unexpected financial boost for local contractors large and small.
- Dayton to call emergency meeting on bird flu in Minnesota Updated: Apr-26-15 12:58 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton will convene his Executive Council on Monday as Minnesota responds to a bird flu outbreak that has killed millions of birds in the state's poultry industry.
- Lawmakers drawing up contingency funding plans for bird flu Updated: Apr-24-15 6:34 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Top Minnesota lawmakers said Friday they're developing contingency plans that would allow state agencies to more easily access emergency response dollars if the spread of avian influenza intensifies in the nation's leading turkey producing state.
- Branstad asks agencies to monitor bird flu outbreak in Iowa Updated: Apr-23-15 4:48 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad has asked several state agencies to monitor the outbreak of a deadly form of bird flu that's reached Iowa and led to an emergency declaration in Minnesota.
- Illinois agency assessing damage in Fairdale tornado for aid Updated: Apr-23-15 12:28 pm
FAIRDALE, Illinois - An Illinois agency says it's still trying to determine what assistance might be available to victims of a deadly tornado that struck northern Illinois earlier this month.
- Jackson council votes against mayor's emergency declaration Updated: Apr-22-15 8:22 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The Jackson City Council has voted down Mayor Tony Yarber's new infrastructure emergency declaration.
- Weather delays completion of Adams Co. storm shelter Updated: Apr-21-15 10:13 am
NATCHEZ, Mississippi - Weather delays have again pushed back the completion date for the $3.4 million storm shelter under construction in Adams County.
- Governor declares wildfire emergency Updated: Apr-20-15 2:54 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker has declared a state of emergency to deal with elevated wildfire conditions.