- Young nurse asked to adopt newborn after mom dies of Ebola Updated: Sep-03-15 11:07 am
FREETOWN, Sierra Leone - The 19-year-old mother clutched her newborn son as she arrived at the Ebola holding center. The child's father was gone, and she had no family to help her. She knew she was dying.
- 20 Indiana counties could soon have needle exchanges Updated: Aug-25-15 2:58 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - About 20 Indiana counties could soon have needle-exchange programs in place or in the works to help prevent the spread of diseases such as HIV and hepatitis C among intravenous drug users, an infectious disease expert told a legislative panel.
- 101st Airborne receiving award for work fighting Ebola virus Updated: Aug-25-15 4:09 am
FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky - The 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell is being recognized for its efforts to fight the Ebola virus in Africa.
- Columba Bush puts drug addiction fight among top priorities Updated: Aug-25-15 3:20 am
MIAMI - The wife of Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush says the highly personal fight she waged against drug addiction as Florida's first lady would remain one of her top priorities in the White House.
- With many Ebola survivors ailing, doctors evaluate situation Updated: Aug-23-15 4:38 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Lingering health problems afflicting many of the roughly 13,000 Ebola survivors have galvanized global and local health officials to find out how widespread the ailments are, and how to remedy them.
- Hormel shares waver as 3Q profit rises and sales slide Updated: Aug-19-15 4:38 pm
AUSTIN, Minnesota - Shares of Hormel, the company behind Spam canned ham, Dinty Moore stew and other products, wavered Wednesday after the company said its quarterly profit grew, but reported disappointing sales that were hurt by the avian flu epidemic and the strong U.S. dollar.
- Healey proposes new tool in fighting opioid abuse epidemic Updated: Aug-17-15 7:49 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey has proposed legislation that would make trafficking in a powerful narcotic often added to heroin a crime in an effort to fight the state's opioid abuse epidemic.
- Discovery of grave from flu pandemic stops highway project Updated: Aug-14-15 7:43 pm
SCHUYLKILL HAVEN, Pennsylvania - Officials say a highway construction project in eastern Pennsylvania has unearthed remains from victims of the Spanish flu pandemic a century ago and brought the work to a halt.
- UN official: Ebola epidemic could be defeated by end of 2015 Updated: Aug-13-15 1:31 pm
- State officials: Heroin overdose deaths spike in Mississippi Updated: Aug-12-15 10:40 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Heroin overdose deaths are skyrocketing in Mississippi, on pace to reach 26 by year's end.
- Meningitis epidemic threat in West Africa, but few vaccines Updated: Aug-07-15 11:10 am
LAGOS, Nigeria - International health officials are scrambling, without much success, to find meningitis C vaccines as an outbreak of the child-killing disease threatens to balloon into an epidemic.