- Court upholds ban on contractor political contributions Updated: Jul-07-15 3:29 pm
WASHINGTON - A federal appeals court on Tuesday upheld a ban on government contractors donating money to federal candidates or political parties, a prohibition that has been on the books for 70 years.
- John Deere to sponsor PGA event in Quad Cities through 2023 Updated: Jul-07-15 2:38 pm
SILVIS, Illinois - John Deere will continue to serve as the title sponsor of the PGA Tour event in Illinois through 2023.
- General Atomics plans to set up drone academy in Grand Forks Updated: Jul-07-15 2:16 pm
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - North Dakota's unmanned aircraft business and technology park is about to land a second major defense contractor, according to two members of the state's congressional delegation.
- Brother blames state's move of elderly patient for his death Updated: Jul-07-15 1:57 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The brother of a man who died after being transferred from a Clarinda mental hospital closed by the state is blaming his death on the move to a private care center.
- SurveyMonkey names CEO to replace David Goldberg Updated: Jul-07-15 12:07 pm
PALO ALTO, California - SurveyMonkey has named a Hewlett-Packard Co. executive to take over for CEO David Goldberg, who died in May while vacationing in Mexico.
- Rubio on US economy: 'The old ways no longer work' Updated: Jul-07-15 11:12 am
CHICAGO - Offering an economic message that jabs rivals in both parties, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio on Tuesday outlined a plan to lower corporate tax rates, loosen Internet regulation and broaden college accreditation, in his first major domestic policy speech as a presidential candidate.
- Horizon Pharma makes hostile, $2.1B bid for Depomed Updated: Jul-07-15 11:08 am
Horizon Pharma has gone hostile with an all-stock offer for Depomed valued at about $2.1 billion after its target rejected friendly overtures to talk about a deal.
- Pennsylvania plant that retreads construction tires closing Updated: Jul-07-15 10:50 am
SOMERSET, Pennsylvania - A western Pennsylvania plant that retreads tires for heavy construction and mining vehicles is closing next month, idling 38 union and nonunion workers there.
- Premier to acquire First National Bankshares Updated: Jul-07-15 9:50 am
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - Premier Financial Bancorp says it plans to acquire First National Bankshares in a deal worth about $26.5 million in cash and stock.
- Fishers business incubator an apparent success after 2 years Updated: Jul-07-15 9:23 am
FISHERS, Indiana - A two-year-old business incubator in Fishers is developing so many entrepreneurs that it needs a new building.
- Reactor in Japan being loaded with nuke fuel before restart Updated: Jul-07-15 9:18 am
TOKYO - A Japanese utility on Tuesday began loading fuel into a nuclear reactor where operations are scheduled to resume next month in the country's first restart under safety requirements set following the Fukushima disaster.
- Sweet Briar's new board holds first meeting, elects officers Updated: Jul-07-15 8:41 am
SWEET BRIAR, Virginia - Sweet Briar College's new board of directors has elected its first slate of officers.
- Report: Toyota executive arrested in Japan to be released Updated: Jul-07-15 8:20 am
TOKYO - The American Toyota executive who was arrested in Japan last month on suspicion of drug law violations is expected to be released Wednesday without being prosecuted, according to Japan's Kyodo News service.
- Rhode Island seeking marketing firm to promote state Updated: Jul-07-15 8:17 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island officials are looking for a marketing firm that can create a $5 million tourism and branding campaign.
- Madison Co., AT&T settle franchise fee dispute Updated: Jul-07-15 6:13 am
CANTON, Mississippi - Madison County has settled their dispute with AT&T.
- Samsung forecasts profit fall as S6 sales disappoint Updated: Jul-06-15 11:38 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Samsung Electronics Co. forecast a fall in second quarter profit in a sign that sales of its much anticipated Galaxy S6 smartphones failed to meet expectations.
- Longtime Hollywood producer Jerry Weintraub dies at 77 Updated: Jul-06-15 10:20 pm
NEW YORK - One of the last of the classic Hollywood showmen, Jerry Weintraub built his show business empire on a Rolodex and chutzpah.
- Sheryl Sandberg joins SurveyMonkey board of directors Updated: Jul-06-15 8:26 pm
SurveyMonkey will add two new members to its board of directors, including Facebook's chief operating officer, Sheryl Sandberg.
- Man convicted of murder in steel company worker's 1968 death Updated: Jul-06-15 6:23 pm
STROUDSBURG, Pennsylvania - A man has been convicted of murder in the death of another man almost five decades ago.
- Sears' REIT goes public as others consider similar moves Updated: Jul-06-15 5:20 pm
NEW YORK - Seritage Growth Properties, the real estate spinoff of Sears Holdings Corp., made its debut Monday on the New York Stock Exchange and estimated that it had raised about $1.6 billion from the offering.
- Lawmaker calls for maker of new state logo to give refund Updated: Jul-06-15 5:17 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - A state lawmaker is calling for a refund of all but $10,000 of the $46,000 paid for development of a new Tennessee state logo, saying the company that developed it was "substantially over-compensated."
- Uber to cease operations in Broward County Updated: Jul-06-15 5:16 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - The popular ridesharing service Uber has announced it is leaving Broward County.
- Connecticut agency tracks down $85.8M in uncollected taxes Updated: Jul-06-15 3:58 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut's Department of Revenue Services announced Monday it unearthed about $85.8 million in uncollected tax revenue after ramping up efforts to resolve audit disputes with larger companies and making more personal visits to delinquent businesses.
- Democrats want Pence to release details of PR firm's work Updated: Jul-06-15 3:13 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Democrats have sent the Republican Pence administration a formal request to release documents showing what the state got for its money when it hired a New York public relations firm to deal with the damage inflicted by a new religious objections law.
- Businessman sentenced to prison over pollution, deception Updated: Jul-06-15 2:35 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The owner of a Kansas metal finishing business has been sentenced to four months in prison followed by six months of home detention for discharging untreated wastewater into a city sewer.