- Obama: Iran vote most important intl. debate since Iraq war Updated: Aug-05-15 6:47 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is casting a looming congressional vote on the Iran nuclear deal as the nation's most consequential foreign policy debate since the authorization of the Iraq war, a now unpopular decision that still reverberates through American politics.
- Economists dump on Trump boast to bring jobs back from China Updated: Aug-05-15 3:31 am
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump vows to bring back the millions of American jobs lost to China and other foreign competitors if voters put him in the White House.
- EU, Vietnam agree deal for free trade pact Updated: Aug-04-15 8:02 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union and Vietnam clinched on Tuesday an agreement in principle on a new free trade deal that would see the lifting of most tariffs on goods.
- Kerry pushes Asia trade pact in Singapore Updated: Aug-04-15 2:37 am
SINGAPORE - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry called Tuesday for countries negotiating a major Pacific Rim trade deal to overcome differences that have stalled its conclusion.
- Judge: Owner of ND vegetable plant must serve time in prison Updated: Aug-03-15 5:13 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - The owner of a North Dakota vegetable processing plant who was convicted of recruiting and hiring illegal workers must serve time in custody despite a joint sentencing recommendation calling for no prison time, a judge said Monday.
- Review: James Abel's 'Protocol Zero' disappoints Updated: Aug-03-15 1:52 pm
"Protocol Zero" (Berkley), by James Abel
- Indian government, key northeast rebel group sign peace deal Updated: Aug-03-15 11:07 am
NEW DELHI - India's government signed a peace treaty on Monday with a key rebel group in the country's insurgency-wracked northeast.
- Q&A on possible extradition for dentist who killed lion Updated: Aug-01-15 5:34 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Zimbabwe has called for an American dentist who killed a lion that was lured out of a national park and caused international outrage to be extradited and face as-yet filed charges. But it isn't clear whether Walter James Palmer, a 55-year-old from Minnesota, can be extradited or, if so, can fight having to go back to the African nation. Palmer has said he relied on his guides to ensure the hunt was legal.
- Pacific trade ministers fail to reach deal in Hawaii talks Updated: Aug-01-15 1:10 am
LAHAINA, Hawaii - Trade ministers from a dozen Pacific Rim nations failed to reach a deal on a new trade agreement that would cover nearly 40 percent of the global economy, U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said Friday.
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle old dispute Updated: Jul-31-15 9:16 pm
NEW DELHI - At the stroke of midnight Friday, tens of thousands of stateless people who were stranded for decades along the poorly defined border between India and Bangladesh will finally get to choose their citizenship, as the two countries swapped more than 150 pockets of land to settle the demarcation line dividing them.
- UN nuclear chief to talk to Senate critics of Iran nuke deal Updated: Jul-31-15 4:15 pm
VIENNA - U.S. Senators who accuse the Obama administration of making secret deals with Iran that go beyond the publicly known nuclear pact will get a chance next week to question the head of the U.N. agency said to be linked to the alleged clandestine documents
- UN says too soon for new Syrian peace conference Updated: Jul-29-15 8:14 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. point man on Syria said Wednesday it's too soon for another peace conference in Geneva and invited Syrians to hold intensive preparatory talks on key issues including a political transition and fighting terrorism.
- Carter: Successful Iran nuclear deal better than strike Updated: Jul-29-15 7:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Wednesday that the U.S. armed forces stand ready to confront Iran, but told lawmakers that a successful implementation of the nuclear agreement with Tehran is preferable to a military strike.
- Iran says will hold 'high-level' talks with EU Updated: Jul-28-15 1:13 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's foreign minister said Tuesday that "high-level" talks will soon be launched with the European Union following a nuclear agreement reached with world powers earlier this month.
- The Latest: Kerry's nuke deal testimony translated in Iran Updated: Jul-28-15 12:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest developments on Obama administration officials' testimony Tuesday before Congress on the Iran nuclear deal (all times local EDT):
- Mozambican president visits region troubled by clashes Updated: Jul-28-15 12:29 pm
MAPUTO, Mozambique - Mozambique's president travelled to the country's northwest where fighting between government troops and opposition fighters has forced hundreds to flee to neighboring Malawi, state-run radio reported on Tuesday.
- The Latest: Saudi King voices support for Turkey's actions Updated: Jul-28-15 10:36 am
BRUSSELS - The Latest from NATO meeting on Islamic State group and related developments (all times local):
- Sky trade Sylvia Fowles to Lynx as part of 3-team deal Updated: Jul-27-15 5:50 pm
Sylvia Fowles only wanted to play for one team this season - the Minnesota Lynx. The Chicago Sky finally were able to make it happen.
- Hundreds of Mozambicans cross into Malawi to flee fighting Updated: Jul-27-15 11:21 am
MAPUTO, Mozambique - Hundreds of Mozambicans have fled into neighboring Malawi after renewed fighting between government troops and fighters loyal to the opposition party Renamo, officials from both countries said Monday.
- Colombia suspends raids on FARC camps following rebel truce Updated: Jul-25-15 10:43 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Colombia's government is suspending aerial bombings of guerrilla camps in a bid to de-escalate fighting and breathe new life into struggling peace talks.
- In shift, Turkish jets strike Islamic State targets in Syria Updated: Jul-24-15 2:52 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - In a major tactical shift, Turkish warplanes struck Islamic State group targets across the border in Syria on Friday, a day after IS militants fired at a Turkish military outpost. A Syrian rights group said the airstrikes killed nine IS fighters.
- Trade deal wipes out tariffs on more than 200 tech products Updated: Jul-24-15 1:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Dozens of countries have agreed to abolish duties on more than 200 technology products - from advanced computer chips to GPS devices, printer cartridges and video-game consoles.
- Kerry: Agreement on Iran issue only alternative to force Updated: Jul-24-15 10:48 am
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry said Friday that if Congress disapproves of the Iranian nuclear deal, it will undermine President Barack Obama's ability to act throughout the world.
- Mississippi murderer's lawsuit stalling execution Updated: Jul-24-15 8:41 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The execution of Mississippi's longest-serving death row inmate is being held up over a challenge to the state's lethal injection protocol.
- Myanmar ethnic peace talks recess without peace agreement Updated: Jul-24-15 5:20 am
YANGON, Myanmar - A three-day round of talks between the government and leaders of ethnic rebel groups concluded Friday without a sought-after ceasefire draft agreement to end decades of fighting.