- EU-skeptic Finnish party joins Cabinet for 1st time Updated: May-29-15 10:53 am
HELSINKI - The populist, EU-skeptic Finns Party, known for its opposition to bailing out Greece and its political gaffes at home, on Friday joined the Finnish government for the first time.
- Panel eyes LePage plan to shake up constitutional officers Updated: May-27-15 5:32 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Gov. Paul LePage's administration urged lawmakers on Wednesday to hand over the power to choose Maine's attorney general and state treasurer to the executive branch.
- Ex-Israeli Premier Olmert sentenced to 8 months in prison Updated: May-25-15 8:56 am
JERUSALEM - Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was sentenced Monday to eight months in prison for unlawfully accepting money from a U.S. supporter, capping the dramatic downfall of a man who only years earlier led the country and hoped to bring about a historic peace agreement with the Palestinians.
- Kentucky's general election filled with political 'firsts' Updated: May-24-15 10:32 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Ryan Quarles has some streaks of gray in his hair, which can seem odd when he tells people why they should vote for him.
- Timeline of landmarks in Ireland's changing attitude to gays Updated: May-23-15 12:36 pm
DUBLIN - Gays in Ireland lived in the shadows for decades, lest they face ridicule, assault or even prison in Victorian times. Saturday's referendum result to legalize gay marriage represents a stunning triumph for gay rights activists following decades of struggle to gain greater rights and respect.
- 5 Cabinet directors' salaries increasing by total of $62,000 Updated: May-19-15 7:28 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Five of Gov. Nikki Haley's Cabinet directors will collectively see their salaries increase by about $62,000, as per the Republican governor's recommendations.
- Kansas attorney general appoints new civil litigation chief Updated: May-19-15 5:11 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt has picked a former state Bar Association president to lead the division in Schmidt's office that handles civil lawsuits.
- Deliberate approach is hallmark of bridge case prosecutor Updated: May-17-15 3:07 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - The U.S. attorney prosecuting allies of Gov. Chris Christie in the George Washington Bridge lane-closing scandal is known as a fierce litigator whose lengthy experience as a defense attorney exerts a balancing effect on his decisions as a prosecutor.
- Florida Republicans exploring Senate run work party meeting Updated: May-16-15 3:52 pm
ORLANDO, Florida - Chances are good that U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis will have a primary opponent as he seeks Marco Rubio's Senate seat, and four people also considering a run were at the Republican Party of Florida's quarterly meeting Saturday gauging interest for possible campaigns.
- 5 things to know for Friday in Pennsylvania Updated: May-15-15 9:01 am
A daily look at late-breaking news, coming events and stories that will be talked about in Pennsylvania on Friday.
- Warren has irked Obama before, but trade deepens their rift Updated: May-14-15 6:50 pm
WASHINGTON - When President Barack Obama huffed that Elizabeth Warren, the Massachusetts senator and established liberal star, was a "politician like everybody else" he revealed a rift that predates the current hostilities between the two Democrats over trade.
- Wolf pick for secretary of state gets neutral vote Updated: May-12-15 6:26 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A state Senate committee on Tuesday took the unusual step of sending Pedro Cortes' nomination for a second stint as Pennsylvania's secretary of state to the Senate floor without any recommendation.
- Chile's Bachelet names new Cabinet amid popularity crisis Updated: May-11-15 2:38 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Chilean President Michelle Bachelet named a new Cabinet on Monday, hoping the changes will arrest the fall in her popularity ratings and overcome scandals that have rocked her administration.
- The Latest: Markets happy at clear result; fear referendum Updated: May-08-15 4:29 am
LONDON - 9:25 a.m. (0825 GMT; 4:25 a.m. EDT)
- Chile's Bachelet changes tack with new Cabinet amid crisis Updated: May-07-15 11:35 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - In shaking up her entire Cabinet, Chilean President Michelle Bachelet is trying to salvage an ambitious reform package amid growing scandals and contain a political crisis.
- Senate confirms much of Dayton's cabinet Updated: May-05-15 4:48 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton's cabinet is officially on the job.
- Obama chooses Marine general as Joint Chiefs chairman Updated: May-05-15 1:51 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Tuesday nominated a respected, combat hardened commander as his next chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to lead the military during a key period of transition.
- Fla. governor reappoints top posts after abrupt session end Updated: May-04-15 4:41 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida Gov. Rick Scott was forced on Monday to reappoint more than a dozen top state officials to their jobs after they were passed over for confirmation by the Florida Senate.
- Latest on traffic jam scandal: Baroni says he's innocent Updated: May-04-15 12:02 pm
- Obama aide, Baltimore native says worst may be over Updated: Apr-30-15 4:43 pm
WASHINGTON - The leader of President Barack Obama's initiative for minority males says it has been painful to watch violence and looting unfold in his Baltimore hometown, but he feels optimistic that the worst is over.
- Poland's justice minister resigns over gun license doubts Updated: Apr-30-15 10:19 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's Justice Minister Cezary Grabarczyk has resigned over doubts concerning the legality of his gun permit.