- Asian stocks mixed after Fed leaves rates unchanged Updated: Jul-30-15 12:55 am
BEIJING - Chinese stocks held steady Thursday following this week's turbulence while other Asian markets were mixed after the U.S. Federal Reserve left interest rates unchanged at a record low.
- US official: Plane debris in Indian Ocean same type as MH370 Updated: Jul-30-15 12:37 am
WASHINGTON - Air safety investigators have a "high degree of confidence" that aircraft debris found in the Indian Ocean is of a wing component unique to the Boeing 777, the same model as the Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared last year, a U.S. official said Wednesday.
- Takeaway from Fed meeting: Expect a rate increase this year Updated: Jul-30-15 12:04 am
WASHINGTON - Expectations have grown that sometime this year, the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates from record lows. The only question seems to be when.
- Galaxy S6 fails to reverse profit decline at Samsung Updated: Jul-29-15 11:58 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - Samsung Electronics suffered a fifth straight drop in quarterly earnings as the Galaxy S6 failed to reverse its declining fortunes in global smartphone sales.
- Matson settles Hawaii's claims over molasses spill for $15M Updated: Jul-29-15 10:19 pm
HONOLULU - A major shipping company has agreed to pay more than $15 million to compensate for a 2013 molasses spill in Honolulu Harbor, Hawaii's attorney general said Wednesday.
- Brady fights on, files lawsuit to stop suspension Updated: Jul-29-15 10:04 pm
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts - Tom Brady took the fight over his "Deflategate" suspension to social media and federal court Wednesday, and New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft backed the three-time Super Bowl MVP, saying "I was wrong to put my faith in the league."
- Ford F-150 gets mixed crash test results Updated: Jul-29-15 9:01 pm
DETROIT - Ford's new aluminum-sided F-150 pickup saw mixed results in new crash tests by the insurance industry, and the damaged trucks cost more to repair than steel-bodied ones.
- Coast Guard says California oil slick will vanish on its own Updated: Jul-29-15 8:46 pm
GOLETA, California - A 2-mile-long oil slick mysteriously materialized off the Southern California coast on Wednesday, but unlike a disastrous spill in the same area two months ago it didn't send any damaging crude ashore and was expected to dissipate on its own.
- Massachusetts lawmakers back 2-day sales tax 'holiday' Updated: Jul-29-15 8:31 pm
BOSTON - Massachusetts was on track Wednesday for another sales tax holiday in August despite concerns from several lawmakers that the two-day suspension of the state's 6.25 percent tax was little more than a gimmick that benefits large retailers while costing the state valuable revenue.
- California's big cities say June water-saving goals were met Updated: Jul-29-15 8:31 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's largest cities said water conservation goals ordered by Gov. Jerry Brown were met or exceeded in June - the first month of mandatory cutbacks during the drought.
- 2 Utah ski resorts owned by Vail to be known as 'Park City' Updated: Jul-29-15 7:43 pm
PARK CITY, Utah - Two neighboring Utah ski resorts owned by Vail Resorts and being combined into one mega resort will be known simply by the name of the mountain city where it is located: "Park City."
- Whole Foods: Sales hurt by bad publicity from overcharging Updated: Jul-29-15 7:40 pm
NEW YORK - Whole Foods is feeling pinched after New York City officials found it was overcharging customers.
- NOAA issues new guidelines for vessels in glacial fjords Updated: Jul-29-15 7:38 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - New voluntary guidelines for cruise ships and other tour boats aimed at protecting harbor seals, especially vulnerable nursing pups, in Alaska's glacial fjords were announced Wednesday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- Uber cars bashed in Mexico, cabbies protest rideshare apps Updated: Jul-29-15 7:37 pm
MEXICO CITY - A raucous crowd attacked Uber drivers and their vehicles with clubs and stones outside the Mexico City airport, the company said Wednesday, as licensed taxi drivers demonstrated to demand a "total halt" to app-based rideshare services in the capital.
- Auditors: UConn loan deal could cost state $77 million Updated: Jul-29-15 7:29 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The University of Connecticut may have cost the state just under $77 million in unnecessary interest payments by entering into a loan deal to pay for the new ambulatory care center at the UConn Health Center in Farmington, according to state auditors.
- Wynn Resorts profit drops 72 percent in 2nd quarter Updated: Jul-29-15 7:28 pm
LAS VEGAS - Wynn Resorts Ltd.'s profit fell 72 percent in the second quarter, stymied by an on-going decline in the Asian gambling enclave of Macau and fewer high-roller Chinese baccarat players in Las Vegas.
- Criminal case into casino land deal focuses on investigators Updated: Jul-29-15 7:26 pm
BOSTON - A federal judge heard arguments Wednesday over allegations that private investigators working for Wynn Resorts gained unauthorized access to files in a joint state and federal criminal probe that now figures into Massachusetts's biggest casino project.
- Idaho Racing Commission delays breeder distribution decision Updated: Jul-29-15 7:07 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho horse breeders could end up empty-handed due to a dispute about how the money collected from lucrative betting machines should be distributed.
- Facebook 2Q results soar as user base, mobile ads grow Updated: Jul-29-15 6:59 pm
NEW YORK - Facebook is attracting advertising dollars to where its users are - on mobile devices.
- Appeals court reinstates 'Roadless Rule' for Tongass Updated: Jul-29-15 6:55 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - A divided federal appeals court on Wednesday affirmed a lower-court decision that reinstates prohibitions on road-building and timber harvests in roadless areas of the nation's largest national forest.
- Connecticut hoping to stave off possible nursing home strike Updated: Jul-29-15 6:40 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's administration has been working in recent weeks to come up with a new state funding arrangement that could help fend off possible strikes at unionized nursing homes across the state.
- Body shop owner challenges insurance commissioner Updated: Jul-29-15 6:32 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Second-term Mississippi Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney is being challenged in the Republican primary by John Mosley, a body shop owner who says insurance companies have gotten away with paying for less-than-perfect replacement parts to repair damaged vehicles.
- The Latest: Brady and players' union file lawsuit again NFL Updated: Jul-29-15 6:31 pm
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts - Here is the latest surrounding the suspension of star Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for using underinflated footballs (all times local):
- Former head of investment firm sentenced on bankruptcy fraud Updated: Jul-29-15 6:28 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Ridgeland man has been sentenced to five years in federal prison after pleading guilty to one count of bankruptcy fraud.
- Los Angeles leaders outlaw high-capacity gun magazines Updated: Jul-29-15 6:18 pm
LOS ANGELES - The nation's second-largest city is poised to ban possession of firearm magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, stepping into the national debate over gun regulation following a series of deadly, mass shootings.