- Oil train derailment prompts evacuation in North Dakota town Updated: May-06-15 12:40 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - An oil train derailed and caught fire early Wednesday in a rural area of central North Dakota, prompting the evacuation of a nearby town where about three dozen people live.
- Greece makes IMF payment amid signs of bailout progress Updated: May-06-15 12:40 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Cash-strapped Greece scraped together a 200 million-euro ($222 million) repayment to the International Monetary Fund on Wednesday amid signs its long-stalled bailout negotiations were making some progress.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: May-06-15 12:37 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- Bad budget news for Wisconsin: No new money Updated: May-06-15 12:35 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - There will be no additional tax revenue over the next two years, state lawmakers were told Wednesday, setting up difficult decisions in coming weeks as the Republican-controlled Legislature tries to follow through on its plans to reduce Gov. Scott Walker's cuts to K-12 schools and the University of Wisconsin System.
- 8 women, 1 man arrested in sting at Idaho casino Updated: May-06-15 12:31 pm
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Eight women and one man were arrested during a two-night law enforcement operation targeting prostitution at the Coeur d'Alene Casino.
- US stocks falling after weak jobs data; oil prices rise Updated: May-06-15 12:25 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks fell broadly in noon trading Wednesday after the release of weak U.S. economic reports. Yields on U.S government bond yields rose to their highest level in two months and oil prices continued to climb. Seven of the 10 industry sectors of the Standard and Poor's 500 index were lower, led by telecommunications companies.
- SC senator to filibuster budget over road funding Updated: May-06-15 12:22 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The state Senate's third day of budget debate will open with a filibuster over road funding.
- Casino project owners, investors vetted by regulators Updated: May-06-15 12:19 pm
BOSTON - State regulators have vetted and approved the owners and investors of a resort casino proposed for the Brockton Fairgrounds.
- Bird flu virus creeps across Missouri, prompts more culling Updated: May-06-15 12:11 pm
ST. LOUIS - A strain of bird flu responsible for the deaths of millions of chickens and turkeys in several states is spreading across Missouri.
- The first self-driving vehicle you see may have 18 wheels Updated: May-06-15 12:09 pm
LAS VEGAS - Although much attention has been paid to autonomous vehicles being developed by Google and traditional car companies, one truck maker believes that automated tractor-trailers will be rolling along highways before self-driving cars are cruising around the suburbs.
- US stocks slipping after weak economic data; oil prices rise Updated: May-06-15 12:04 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks are drifting lower in midday trading following some weak reports on the U.S. economy.
- Flames shoot out of smokestack at Washington oil refinery Updated: May-06-15 11:58 am
TACOMA, Washington - Crews are battling a smokestack fire at the U.S. Oil and Refining Co. that is sending plumes of black smoke across the sky at the Port of Tacoma in Washington state.
- Alexion Pharma to pay $8.4 billion for Synageva BioPharma Updated: May-06-15 11:49 am
Alexion Pharmaceuticals will pay a huge premium to buy Synageva BioPharma in an $8.4-billion deal for a rare disease treatment maker that lost nearly $60 million in the first quarter and has no products on the market.
- Qatar seeks bids for chance to operate its biggest oil field Updated: May-06-15 11:43 am
DOHA, Qatar - Qatar's state-owned oil company says it is soliciting bids from international energy companies for the chance to operate the small Gulf nation's largest oil field.
- Undercover video leads to probe of Colorado pig farm workers Updated: May-06-15 11:28 am
DENVER - An undercover video showing workers at a Colorado pig farm hitting animals with cans and boards has prompted a criminal investigation and the firing of seven employees.
- Deal signs watered down craft breweries bill Updated: May-06-15 11:22 am
ATLANTA - Gov. Nathan Deal has signed a watered down bill allowing craft breweries to let customers take home beer.
- Residents, workers protest in South African cities Updated: May-06-15 11:22 am
JOHANNESBURG - Protesters in South Africa burned tires and piled rocks across the road leading to the Soweto home of the late Nelson Mandela on Wednesday, in a demonstration against electricity bills.
- UAE to explore Mars' atmosphere with probe named 'Hope' Updated: May-06-15 11:20 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The United Arab Emirates' planned 2020 mission to Mars will study the planet's atmosphere and be appropriately named "Hope," members of the project team revealed Wednesday.
- SpaceX capsule soars with dummy in 1st test of crew escape Updated: May-06-15 11:19 am
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida - SpaceX chalked up another big test flight Wednesday, firing a capsule into the air to try out its new, super-streamlined launch escape system for astronauts.
- Kansas wheat tour finds poor crop conditions on first day Updated: May-06-15 11:07 am
WICHITA, Kansas - Participants in the winter wheat tour are forecasting low crop yields in fields along northern Kansas counties that they looked at during the first day.
- Wyoming coal mine profits fall in 1st quarter Updated: May-06-15 11:04 am
CASPER, Wyoming - For coal companies, the Powder River Basin has long been a bright spot in an increasingly grim market. The region's mines boast low production costs, allowing companies to turn a profit even as coal prices tumble.
- Feds: 6 sweepstakes companies agree to quit North Carolina Updated: May-06-15 11:01 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Federal prosecutors announced Wednesday that they have reached an agreement with six large video sweepstakes companies that requires them to stop providing software to hundreds of Internet cafes in North Carolina.
- Lafayette airport officials look at new financing method Updated: May-06-15 10:53 am
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana - Lafayette Regional Airport commissioners next week will decide whether to endorse a relatively new method of constructing public projects for a new $90 million passenger terminal.
- 3D Systems withdraws full-year forecast Updated: May-06-15 10:34 am
ROCK HILL, South Carolina - 3D Systems is withdrawing its full-year forecast, citing uncertain market conditions. The maker of 3D printers also said that purchases were lower than expected in its first quarter, given soft customer demand and currency fluctuations.
- EU moves to help tech companies compete with US giants Updated: May-06-15 10:32 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union has unveiled a long-term strategy to help its technology companies compete with U.S. giants like Google and Amazon by unifying the continent's digital sector and taking a hard line on abuses by dominant firms.