- IMF nominates managing director Lagarde for second term Updated: Feb-11-16 10:28 am
WASHINGTON - The International Monetary Fund has nominated managing director Christine Lagarde for a second five-year term.
- Congress likely to give final OK to local Internet tax ban Updated: Feb-11-16 10:21 am
WASHINGTON - State and local governments would be permanently barred from taxing access to the Internet under a bipartisan compromise the Senate began pushing toward final congressional approval.
- Stolen laptop contained patient records, hospital say Updated: Feb-11-16 10:18 am
McCOOK, Nebraska - Community Hospital in McCook has told nearly 4,200 former patients that their identity information was contained on a laptop computer that was stolen in December.
- Pakistan's ex-President Musharraf discharged from hospital Updated: Feb-11-16 10:17 am
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan's former president Pervez Musharraf was briefly hospitalized in the port city of Karachi on Thursday after suffering chest pain and breathing problems but was allowed home later that day, a senior leader of his party and his spokeswoman said.
- Reynolds American 4Q profit jumps, but misses forecasts Updated: Feb-11-16 10:07 am
NEW YORK - Cigarette maker Reynolds American's fourth-quarter profit shot up 89 percent compared to the final quarter of 2014, when earnings fell due to some one-time costs.
- The Latest: US stocks join the global market slump Updated: Feb-11-16 9:51 am
LONDON - The latest on the turmoil afflicting global financial markets (all times local):
- Uber, Norfolk International Airport ink transportation deal Updated: Feb-11-16 9:48 am
NORFOLK, Virginia - Ride-hailing company Uber has inked a deal with the Norfolk International Airport to allow Uber drivers to transport people to and from the airport.
- US markets dive amid global selloff Updated: Feb-11-16 9:47 am
U.S. stocks opened sharply lower following steep market declines all around the world as concerns about global economic weakness intensified.
- PepsiCo's revenue in North America climbs, helped by pricing Updated: Feb-11-16 9:39 am
NEW YORK - PepsiCo said revenue for its North American snacks and drinks units rose in the fourth quarter, boosted by pricing.
- Italy passes bank reforms, but shares drop further Updated: Feb-11-16 9:36 am
MILAN - Italian bank shares continue to slide despite the Cabinet's approval of a batch of long-awaited banking reforms.
- N. Korea orders military takeover of inter-Korean factories Updated: Feb-11-16 9:29 am
PAJU, South Korea - North Korea on Thursday ordered a military takeover of a factory park that had been the last major symbol of cooperation with South Korea, calling Seoul's earlier suspension of operations at the jointly run facility as punishment for the North's recent rocket launch a "dangerous declaration of war."
- Questions grow over banks as profit warnings pile up Updated: Feb-11-16 9:16 am
PARIS - Questions are growing over the financial health of banks, particularly in Europe, as they face a toxic mix of low economic growth, bad loans and squeezed earnings.
- Ex-executive due for sentencing in West Virginia spill Updated: Feb-11-16 8:58 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - A former Freedom Industries executive is due in federal court for sentencing on a pollution charge in a chemical spill that fouled the drinking water supply of 300,000 West Virginians.
- Pittsburgh International Airport to tout new flights, jobs Updated: Feb-11-16 8:55 am
IMPERIAL, Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh International Airport officials plan to announce new nonstop destinations and say the new flights will also add jobs to the region.
- Slaughterhouse owner gets prison time for uninspected meat Updated: Feb-11-16 8:35 am
SANTA ROSA, California - The co-owner of a Northern California slaughterhouse at the center of a nationwide food recall two years ago has been sentenced to federal prison.
- The Latest: S. Koreans still at joint factory after deadline Updated: Feb-11-16 8:08 am
PAJU, South Korea - The latest on tensions between North and South Korea following North Korea's rocket launch (all times local):
- Indian capital to curb cars again to control air pollution Updated: Feb-11-16 8:07 am
NEW DELHI - The New Delhi government will restrict cars on the streets for another two weeks to fight the extreme air pollution that has made the Indian capital the world's most polluted city.
- BMW exports almost $10B of cars from SC in 2015 Updated: Feb-11-16 7:40 am
GREER, South Carolina - BMW exported almost $10 billion worth of vehicles from its assembly plant in Greer last year, remaining the nation's leading vehicle exporter in terms of the value of the vehicles.
- Massachusetts strengthens oversight of nursing homes Updated: Feb-11-16 7:40 am
BOSTON - Massachusetts health regulators are strengthening oversight of nursing homes by creating a unit to conduct unannounced inspections and promising to fine problem-plagued facilities.
- Sweden cuts key interest rate further below zero Updated: Feb-11-16 7:17 am
STOCKHOLM - Sweden's central bank, worried about a long period of low inflation, decided Thursday to cut its key interest further below zero to a record minus 0.50 percent - and didn't rule out further action.
- County votes to chip in on St. Paul-to-Chicago rail study Updated: Feb-11-16 7:09 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Ramsey County officials have voted to provide up to $300,000 for the study of a second daily round-trip train between St. Paul and Chicago.
- Lawmakers say UK's draft online spying law needs changes Updated: Feb-11-16 7:06 am
LONDON - The British government is under pressure to amend a contentious Internet surveillance bill after a parliamentary committee said plans to make service providers retain all users' data have not been adequately thought through.
- Venison from deer killed in Ann Arbor going to feed hungry Updated: Feb-11-16 6:53 am
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - Venison from deer killed by sharpshooters hired to reduce the deer population in Ann Arbor parks is being processed to help feed the hungry.
- Oil price drop pushes Total profit down 26 percent Updated: Feb-11-16 6:47 am
PARIS - Total says its fourth quarter earnings skidded 26 percent as the collapse in oil prices hit another global energy giant.
- CityTime computer specialist gets 3 years' probation Updated: Feb-11-16 6:44 am
NEW YORK - A computer specialist who admitted his role in a scheme involving New York City's CityTime computerized payroll system has been sentenced to three years' probation.