- US Marine found guilty of killing transgender Filipino Updated: Dec-01-15 7:31 am
OLONGAPO, Philippines - A Philippine court on Tuesday convicted a U.S. Marine of killing a Filipino last year after he discovered she was a transgender woman in a hotel while he was on a break after participating in joint military exercises in the country.
- Private company canceling prison health care contract Updated: Nov-30-15 6:37 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The private company responsible for providing health care to most of Florida's prisons says it is terminating its contract.
- Branstad says no delay needed for Medicaid privatization Updated: Nov-30-15 12:35 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - There is no reason to delay plans to shift Iowa's Medicaid operation to private management, even though a judge has recommended that the state throw out one of four contracts awarded to companies to run the program, Gov. Terry Branstad said Monday.
- Ore. county opts against test for arsenic at former dam site Updated: Nov-28-15 9:40 am
GRANTS PASS, Oregon - The Josephine County Board of Commissioners reversed itself and terminated a $135,000 contract with a private laboratory to test for toxic chemicals at the former Fielder Dam site near Wimer.
- AT&T loses round in battle over nearly $400 million contract Updated: Nov-26-15 2:21 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - An administrative judge is siding with a state agency against telecommunications giant AT&T in a tug-of-war over a major contract.
- Judge recommends Iowa throw out 1of 4 Medicaid contracts Updated: Nov-26-15 1:39 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - An administrative law judge has recommended that the state of Iowa throw out one of four contracts awarded to private companies set to take over the state's Medicaid program in January, a move that challenges whether plans to switch oversight can remain on schedule.
- New Polish defense minister casts doubt on purchase plans Updated: Nov-26-15 9:27 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's new defense minister says the country may back out of plans to purchase French military helicopters and a U.S. Patriot missile system.
- DEP awards $9.3M contract to put out Pennsylvania mine fire Updated: Nov-25-15 1:00 pm
JIM THORPE, Pennsylvania - State officials have taken a further step to extinguish a fire that has been burning in an eastern Pennsylvania mine since approximately 2012.
- Meade County commissioners award contract for Sturgis bypass Updated: Nov-25-15 8:22 am
STURGIS, South Dakota - Meade County commissioners have awarded a $1.3 million contract to a Rapid City company to build a highway bypass at Sturgis.
- Michigan, Fiat Chrysler reach deal on tax credits Updated: Nov-24-15 9:31 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Fiat Chrysler will have to spend an additional $1 billion on Michigan facilities over 15 years to qualify for $1.9 billion in business tax credits under an agreement approved Tuesday by the state's economic development board.
- Lottery chief reports revenue decline, defends private firm Updated: Nov-24-15 3:15 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Revenue for the New Jersey lottery fell by $5 million in 2015, but officials said Tuesday the state's contract with a private firm helped stop further losses.
- Spokane approves $250,000 for defense in jail death case Updated: Nov-24-15 5:05 am
SPOKANE, Washington - Spokane officials have set aside $250,000 in legal fees to defend the city against a $6.5 million wrongful death claim by the family of a man who choked on his own vomit while being booked into the Spokane County Jail.
- Arizona DOC releases assessment of private prison facilities Updated: Nov-20-15 6:38 pm
PHOENIX - An Arizona Department of Corrections inspection of five private state prisons prompted by July riots at a sixth private facility in Kingman discovered issues at all of them, but none to the level that led Gov. Doug Ducey to fire the Kingman contractor.
- UAW approves contract with General Motors Updated: Nov-20-15 6:35 pm
DETROIT - The United Auto Workers union has approved its contract with General Motors Co. after addressing the objections of some workers.
- New wrinkle in plan to stash depleted uranium in Utah Updated: Nov-20-15 4:36 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A nuclear waste disposal company seeking permission to bury a type of nuclear waste in Utah that grows more radioactive for 2 million years has agreed to buy a company that has a site in Texas already approved to store the material.
- Quantell exec gets 8 years in defense contracting fraud case Updated: Nov-20-15 2:59 pm
BALTIMORE - A federal judge in Baltimore has given a founder of two defense contracting firms an eight-year prison sentence for defrauding the government, stealing from employee benefit plans and evading taxes.
- Contempt concern scrubs hearing on Wyoming coal mine permit Updated: Nov-19-15 6:48 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - A landowners group withdrew its request Thursday for a hearing on a Wyoming coal mine's permit amid the possibility it could be held in contempt of court.
- WEDC may have awarded tax credits without authorization Updated: Nov-19-15 6:17 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker's troubled economic development agency and its predecessor agency may have illegally awarded $21 million in tax credits to companies, according to a memo from the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau.
- Navajo official to repay $34,000 for illegal contracts Updated: Nov-19-15 1:37 pm
GALLUP, New Mexico - An official with the Whitehorse Lake Chapter of the Navajo Nation has been ordered to repay another chapter for funds that were paid to a relative's construction company that she illegally contracted.
- Oklahoma man gets 1-year prison sentence for bribery scheme Updated: Nov-19-15 10:44 am
OKLAHOMA CITY - An Oklahoma man has been sentenced to one year and one day in federal prison after pleading guilty to conspiring to bribe workers at military installations in Oklahoma and Texas.
- Public safety secretary doesn't back off on donor's comments Updated: Nov-18-15 9:10 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Two Cabinet-level executives in Gov. Pat McCrory's administration went before lawmakers Wednesday and defended their actions surrounding the extension of three prison maintenance contracts held by a McCrory political donor and friend.
- Tennessee company wins $174M contract for Texas reservoir Updated: Nov-18-15 1:43 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - A Tennessee company has won a $174 million contract to build the Lane City Reservoir in Southeast Texas.
- Des Moines council OKs hotel development agreement Updated: Nov-10-15 6:11 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - The City Council has approved a development agreement for a proposed $101 million convention hotel planned for downtown Des Moines.
- State awards $560M contract in Project NEON highway widening Updated: Nov-09-15 1:59 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Transportation officials have awarded the largest construction job in Nevada's history to widen the state's busiest stretch of highway.
- Focus at Dubai Airshow shifts to military needs Updated: Nov-09-15 9:27 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A number of military purchases announced Monday at the Dubai Airshow, including a $1.27 billion deal for upgraded Saab surveillance systems purchased by the United Arab Emirates, reflect a shift in focus at the biennial event this year from civil aviation to defense.