- Ohio seeks adjusted contract rules for minority companies Updated: Apr-30-16 10:51 am
CLEVELAND - Ohio transportation officials are asking the federal government to adjust rules used to award highway design and construction contracts in hopes that it will give more work to minority-owned companies.
- Polish firm cuts contracts with 2 stud farms amid turmoil Updated: Apr-29-16 6:13 pm
WARSAW, Poland - A private Polish company said it has ended its contracts with two well-known state-owned stud farms after managers were replaced by the government, highlighting the turmoil surrounding the farms that feature Arabian and other horses.
- Deal ends fight between solar firm, utility for now Updated: Apr-28-16 10:11 pm
PHOENIX - A deal between the nation's largest solar company and Arizona's biggest utility announced Thursday means competing measures asking voters about how to treat rooftop solar power are being withdrawn.
- Iowa regent directs furniture company that won no-bid deal Updated: Apr-28-16 6:58 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - A prominent regent failed to publicly disclose that she was a paid director for a national furniture company before its local distributor signed a lucrative no-bid contract with the University of Iowa last year, records show.
- Comcast buying DreamWorks Animation for about $3.55B Updated: Apr-28-16 3:44 pm
NEW YORK - Comcast is buying DreamWorks Animation, the film company behind the "Shrek," ''Madagascar" and "Kung Fu Panda" franchises, for approximately $3.55 billion, strengthening its presence in the important and growing business of children's entertainment.
- State abruptly cancels contract with TNReady creator Updated: Apr-27-16 9:04 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The state of Tennessee on Wednesday abruptly terminated a $107.7 million contract with a testing company following repeated failures with the rollout of the new assessment called TNReady.
- Dems block spending bill in dispute over Iran nuclear deal Updated: Apr-27-16 3:50 pm
WASHINGTON - Democrats on Wednesday blocked the Senate's first spending bill of the year in a last-minute fight over a Republican effort to undercut the Iran nuclear deal and scuttle U.S. plans to buy Iranian "heavy water."
- Glendale OKs $28 million deal for new arena operator Updated: Apr-27-16 3:05 pm
GLENDALE, Arizona - Glendale has approved a $28 million deal with a Los Angeles-based arena management firm AEG Facilities for the operation of the Gila River Arena.
- NASA astronauts prepare for flight on commercial spacecraft Updated: Apr-27-16 9:10 am
ST. LOUIS - Five years after the last NASA astronauts flew from Cape Canaveral, Florida, to the International Space Station, a new group is preparing for a trip, this time on a private spacecraft.
- Uganda: Hope for oil production by 2018 after pipeline deal Updated: Apr-26-16 11:07 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's hopes to produce crude oil by 2018 have been boosted by an agreement to build a pipeline to Tanzania's Tanga port, a government official said Tuesday.
- French company scores huge Australian submarine contract Updated: Apr-26-16 9:51 am
PARIS - Australia's largest-ever defense contract has gone to a French shipbuilder to produce a new generation of submarines, thrilling officials in Paris and inaugurating half a century of close defense cooperation between the nations.
- Time Warner Cable deal gets OK, with online video conditions Updated: Apr-25-16 6:35 pm
NEW YORK - Federal regulators will impose several conditions meant to protect online video services as they back Charter's bid to buy Time Warner Cable and create the country's second-largest home Internet provider.
- Wichita's Cessna gets $14 million Air Force contract Updated: Apr-24-16 4:53 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A Wichita aircraft company has won a $14 million Air Force contract.
- Ohio National Guardsman sentenced in funeral honors theft Updated: Apr-24-16 12:01 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A non-commissioned officer in the Ohio National Guard has been ordered to repay nearly $11,000 after being convicted of falsely claiming travel expenses for participating in military funeral honors details.
- Kerry: US won't block foreign business deals under nuke deal Updated: Apr-22-16 5:54 pm
NEW YORK - The Obama administration moved Friday to try to address Iranian complaints that U.S. financial regulations are denying Iran the sanctions relief it deserves under last year's landmark nuclear deal.
- Court upholds ex-lawmaker's sentence in corruption case Updated: Apr-22-16 12:39 pm
HELENA, Montana - An appeals court has upheld a former Montana legislator's 7 ½-year prison sentence for his involvement in a corruption scheme on the Rocky Boy Indian Reservation.
- Firms that paid for Clinton speeches have US gov't interests Updated: Apr-22-16 3:58 am
WASHINGTON - It's not just Wall Street banks. Most companies and groups that paid Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton to speak between 2013 and 2015 have lobbied federal agencies in recent years, and more than one-third are government contractors, an Associated Press review has found. Their interests are sprawling and would follow Clinton to the White House should she win election this fall.
- Volkswagen owners will get a choice: a buyback or repairs Updated: Apr-21-16 5:31 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The owners of nearly half a million polluting Volkswagens in the U.S. will have the option of selling them back to the company or getting them repaired at VW's expense, under a deal announced Thursday by a federal judge.
- Records: Broadband deal had called for $7.2 million payment Updated: Apr-21-16 4:51 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho officials initially agreed to pay $7.2 million in a settlement over an illegal state contract that provided broadband in public schools.
- Answers to questions about Volkswagen dirty diesel deal Updated: Apr-21-16 3:22 pm
People who own one of 482,000 Volkswagen vehicles with 2-liter diesel engines will be able to sell them back to the company or have them fixed under terms of a deal announced Thursday by a federal judge.
- Amazon wins $30M contract to sell e-books to NYC schools Updated: Apr-21-16 7:08 am
NEW YORK - Amazon.com Inc. has won a $30 million contract to sell digital textbooks to New York City's public schools.
- Bill would take Alabama out of marriage license business Updated: Apr-20-16 6:46 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - An Alabama House committee has approved a bill that would replace state-signed marriage licenses with contracts in a bid to free probate judges from signing licenses for gay couples.
- The Salt Lake Tribune sold to wealthy industrialist family Updated: Apr-20-16 6:09 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A son of wealthy industrialist Jon Huntsman Sr. has agreed to buy The Salt Lake Tribune, ending uncertainty about the future of Utah's largest newspaper that has long been an independent watchdog in a state where the Mormon church wields significant power.
- GOP Kentucky governor to investigate Democratic predecessor Updated: Apr-19-16 3:26 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky's Republican governor said Tuesday he is hiring a private law firm to help investigate his Democratic predecessor for what he said were potentially illegal procurement practices.
- Oregon defense contractor pleads guilty to bribery charge Updated: Apr-18-16 5:19 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - An Oregon defense contractor acknowledged Monday that he bribed a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers program manager to secure $171 million in contracts over a decade.