- Alpha Natural files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Updated: Aug-03-15 12:04 pm
NEW YORK - Alpha Natural Resources Inc., one of the country's biggest coal producers, became the latest in a string of coal companies to seek bankruptcy protection amid an historic shift in the electric power sector brought on by cheap natural gas prices and pollution regulations.
- Tyson hit hard in 3 Q by rising beef costs and export issues Updated: Aug-03-15 11:29 am
NEW YORK - Tyson Foods' third-quarter-profit leapt 32 percent, but that was still short of expectations and the company cut its outlook with high cattle costs expected to continue to weigh on revenue growth.
- US auto sales strong in July on SUV, luxury demand Updated: Aug-03-15 10:55 am
DETROIT - Summer deals and big demand for SUVs and luxury vehicles kept U.S. auto sales strong in July.
- Sears sales fall sharply in 2Q as it spins off real estate Updated: Aug-03-15 9:28 am
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Illinois - Sears Holdings Corp. says a key sales figure fell sharply in the second quarter, particularly dragged down by weakness at its namesake stores. It's at least the 10th straight quarter that the metric has declined.
- HSBC profit rises 10 percent, bank selling Brazil unit Updated: Aug-03-15 1:31 am
HONG KONG - HSBC Holdings PLC, Europe's biggest bank, said Monday that strong performance in Asia helped to boost first-half profit by 10 percent. The bank also announced the sale of its Brazil business for $5.2 billion.
- Sioux City Hard Rock casino revenue behind projections Updated: Aug-01-15 6:02 pm
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - The Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Sioux City's revenue in its first 11 months has fallen short of projections, but still outpaced its predecessor's all-time annual high of $61 million.
- Abortion supporters get help from courts in video fight Updated: Aug-01-15 1:52 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Abortion rights advocates locked in a public relations battle with abortion opponents over videos of Planned Parenthood leaders discussing the use of aborted fetuses got some good news from two courts in California.
- Jason Industries reports 2Q loss Updated: Jul-31-15 6:39 pm
MILWAUKEE - Jason Industries Inc. on Friday reported a loss of $1.6 million in its second quarter.
- Business events scheduled for the coming month Updated: Jul-31-15 1:43 pm
All times are Eastern
- Stillwater Mining Co. reports $27M loss for 2nd quarter Updated: Jul-31-15 12:20 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - The nation's only platinum and palladium mine is reporting a $27.5 million loss for the second quarter of 2015.
- Falling oil prices shrinks Chevron's profit by 90 percent Updated: Jul-31-15 12:14 pm
SAN RAMON, California - Hurt by falling oil prices, Chevron said Friday that its second-quarter net income plunged 90 percent from the same period a year ago.
- Exxon profit falls by half but production rises Updated: Jul-31-15 10:04 am
NEW YORK - Exxon Mobil Corp. profit dropped by half in the second quarter on sharply lower oil and gas prices around the world, but the company's oil and gas production, which has been generally declining in recent years, surged.
- Italian bank Intesa SanPaolo Q2 profits soar Updated: Jul-31-15 9:37 am
MILAN - Second-quarter earnings at Italian bank Intesa SanPaolo more than quadrupled thanks to lower provisions amid signs of economic recovery and an improved credit market.
- Honda records 20 pct profit rise on yen, despite recalls Updated: Jul-31-15 9:04 am
TOKYO - Japanese automaker Honda reported Friday a 20 percent jump in fiscal first quarter profit on the back of a cheap yen that offset the damage from a massive air bag recall.
- Royal Caribbean profit jumps 34 pct in 2Q; bumps forecast Updated: Jul-31-15 8:53 am
MIAMI - Royal Caribbean cruised beyond most expectations for its second quarter thanks in part to falling energy prices and it raised its profit guidance for the year.
- Phillips 66 beats 2Q profit forecasts Updated: Jul-31-15 8:22 am
HOUSTON - Phillips 66 (PSX) on Friday reported second-quarter net income of $1.01 billion.
- Mississippi Phosphates set to plead guilty in pollution case Updated: Jul-31-15 8:04 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - A Gulf Coast fertilizer manufacturer will plead guilty Aug. 19 to federal allegation of violating the Clean Water Act by polluting waterways.
- Lloyds bank first half net income up 15 percent Updated: Jul-31-15 4:38 am
LONDON - Lloyds Banking Group says first-half net income rose 18 percent to 677 million pounds ($1.05 billion) as the government-backed bank accelerated its recovery from the financial crisis.
- Swiss central bank reports hefty 2nd-quarter loss Updated: Jul-31-15 2:43 am
BERLIN - Switzerland's central bank is reporting a hefty loss for the second consecutive quarter after its decision to drop a cap on the franc's value against the euro sent the national currency soaring higher.
- Hollywood's Relativity files for bankruptcy with $681M owing Updated: Jul-30-15 9:43 pm
LOS ANGELES - Relativity Media, the struggling "mini major" Hollywood studio behind movies such as "Immortals" and "Mirror Mirror," filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Thursday.
- Amgen hikes 2015 forecast after 2Q increase in profit, sales Updated: Jul-30-15 6:55 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Amgen Inc. shares jumped in extended trading after the maker of osteoporosis drug Prolia easily beat Wall Street's second-quarter profit expectations and hiked its 2015 financial forecast.
- LinkedIn 2Q caps rough week for social media stocks Updated: Jul-30-15 6:48 pm
NEW YORK - It hasn't been a good week for social media companies, not even for the usually reliable professional networking service LinkedIn Corp.
- Expedia shares rises aftermarket following 2Q results Updated: Jul-30-15 6:47 pm
BELLEVUE, Washington - Shares of Expedia climbed in aftermarket trading after the online travel company reported solid second-quarter results.
- Electronic Arts falls as new 2016 outlook disappoints Updated: Jul-30-15 6:01 pm
REDWOOD CITY, California - Shares of Electronic Arts slipped in aftermarket trading Thursday after the video game maker's new forecast fell short of Wall Street estimates.
- WebMD tops Street 2Q forecasts Updated: Jul-30-15 5:13 pm
NEW YORK - WebMD Health Corp. (WBMD) on Thursday reported second-quarter earnings of $13.4 million.