- Aetna to buy Humana as health insurer landscape shifts Updated: Jul-03-15 3:11 pm
Aetna aims to spend about $35 billion to buy rival Humana and become the latest health insurer bulking up on government business as the industry adjusts to the federal health care overhaul.
- Marktown slowly fades away as refinery creates green space Updated: Jul-03-15 9:17 am
EAST CHICAGO, Indiana - Like tear-stained notes on a page, Marktown is slowly fading away.
- Let's make a deal: mega-mergers drive M&A frenzy Updated: Jul-03-15 7:58 am
NEW YORK - Deal makers from New York to London had a busy first half of the year, and mega-mergers drove the frenzy.
- Centene makes $6.3B bid for fellow insurer Health Net Updated: Jul-02-15 5:03 pm
Centene has jumped into the mix of managed-care companies scrambling to bulk up as the health care overhaul changes their business with a $6.3-billion bid for fellow insurer Health Net.
- Wolf vetoes bills on liquor privatization, school funding Updated: Jul-02-15 4:44 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Gov. Tom Wolf vetoed a Republican-backed bill to privatize the state-controlled sales of wine and liquor on Thursday as well as two budget-related bills, two days after he rejected the main budget bill.
- Scripps buys controlling share in Polish broadcaster Updated: Jul-02-15 10:52 am
WARSAW, Poland - The U.S. media company Scripps Networks Interactive Inc. has finalized an agreement for a controlling stake in Poland's largest commercial broadcaster, a 584-million-euro ($650 million) deal that comes as the U.S. company expands into Europe.
- US sues to block GE appliance business sale to Electrolux Updated: Jul-01-15 7:18 pm
NEW YORK - The U.S. government is seeking to stop Electrolux from buying General Electric's appliance division, saying the combined company would dominate sales of ovens and other cooking-related kitchen appliances, especially to customers like home builders, property managers, hotels, and governments.
- JBS USA to buy Cargill pork business for $1.45 billion Updated: Jul-01-15 5:51 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The U.S. subsidiary of a Brazilian-based international meat processor is buying the pork division of Cargill Inc.
- Bill allows sale of 2nd Ohio prison to private operator Updated: Jul-01-15 4:06 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The state can sell a central Ohio prison to a private company under a bill on the way to Gov. John Kasich, creating the second privately owned and operated correctional institution in the state.
- Mountain Water requests delay in its acquisition by Missoula Updated: Jul-01-15 2:29 pm
MISSOULA, Montana - Mountain Water Co. has asked for a delay the city of Missoula's attempt to acquire the utility.
- Sale of IBM microchip plants in Vermont, New York completed Updated: Jul-01-15 12:53 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - GlobalFoundries announced Wednesday it had completed its purchase of IBM's microchip plants in Vermont and New York, giving a new lease on life to a big employer in Vermont and New York's Duchess County.
- DuPont finishes Chemours performance chemicals unit spin off Updated: Jul-01-15 11:44 am
DuPont has completed a plan it announced in 2013 to spin off its performance chemicals unit into a separate business named The Chemours Co.
- Company acquires Avectus Healthcare Solutions Updated: Jul-01-15 8:26 am
CORINTH, Mississippi - Corinth-based Avectus Healthcare Solutions has been acquired by a Kentucky company.
- Seoul court denies US fund's request to stop Samsung merger Updated: Jul-01-15 3:41 am
SEOUL, South Korea - A South Korean court Wednesday denied an American hedge fund's request to stop Samsung from combining two of its companies, a largely expected ruling that gives South Korea's biggest business group a boost in an upcoming shareholder vote on the merger.
- The Latest: Pennsylvania governor vetoes GOP's budget bill Updated: Jun-30-15 10:34 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The latest news from efforts by Pennsylvania Republican lawmakers to send various pieces of major legislation to Gov. Tom Wolf's desk (all times local):
- Emerson Electric will spin off network power business Updated: Jun-30-15 12:55 pm
NEW YORK - Emerson Electric plans to spin off its network power business as a separate publicly-traded company, and will consider options for several other businesses.
- ConAgra to sell store-brand food business Updated: Jun-30-15 12:44 pm
NEW YORK - ConAgra Foods Inc. plans to sell its faltering business that makes store-brand packaged food just two years after spending $5 billion to beef it up by buying the private-label foodmaker Ralcorp.
- 8 homes vacated after '03 plant accident will be up for sale Updated: Jun-30-15 11:18 am
HOLLEY, New York - Eight abandoned homes will go on the market more than a decade after the owners moved out of their western New York neighborhood because of a chemical accident.
- Cisco to buy security company OpenDNS for $635 million Updated: Jun-30-15 10:03 am
NEW YORK - Cisco said Tuesday that it plans to buy privately-held OpenDNS for $635 million to boost its network security business.
- Coal plant operator says Colstrip remains profitable for now Updated: Jun-29-15 8:16 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - The formation of a new company to run Montana's largest power plant has raised questions among analysts and plant detractors about how long it can keep going, as pollution control costs rise and coal's share of the electricity market crumbles.
- 2 solar farms proposed near Bend Updated: Jun-29-15 1:08 pm
BEND, Oregon - The abundance of sunshine east of the Cascade Mountains makes Central Oregon a prime location for generating solar power.
- GE selling some fleet businesses to Element for $6.9B Updated: Jun-29-15 11:56 am
FAIRFIELD, Connecticut - General Electric Co. is selling its U.S., Mexico, Australia and New Zealand fleet businesses to Element Financial Corp. for $6.9 billion.
- Blackhawk Mining plans to buy some Patriot Coal assets Updated: Jun-29-15 8:02 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Blackhawk Mining LLC says it plans to buy some of Patriot Coal's assets in southern West Virginia.
- New Jersey county leads nation in foreclosure activity Updated: Jun-28-15 11:01 am
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - The houses, lawns and gardens on the Ashland Avenue cul-de-sac in Hamilton Township are well kept, some nearly park-like. Families in the neighborhood have children who play together, and the parents know each other. And then there is the one.
- GOP lawmakers press budget plan that risks governor's veto Updated: Jun-26-15 8:29 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Top Republican lawmakers said Friday they plan within days to finalize a $30.1 billion budget package that would not raise taxes, although it faces an almost-certain veto by Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf and a protracted partisan stalemate and shutdown of Pennsylvania state government.