- Source: Alibaba in talks to buy Hong Kong's SCMP newspaper Updated: Nov-26-15 1:09 am
HONG KONG - Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba is in talks to buy Hong Kong's leading English language newspaper, the South China Morning Post, a person with knowledge of the potential deal said Thursday.
- Yahoo's CEO is running out of time to turn things around Updated: Nov-25-15 4:49 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Marissa Mayer's nearly four-year attempt to turn around Yahoo needs a turnaround itself, repeating a pattern of futility that has hobbled one of the Internet's best-known companies for the past decade.
- Students rally for staff members facing potential job loss Updated: Nov-25-15 11:55 am
MARTIN, Tennessee - Dozens of students and staff members from the University of Tennessee at Martin rallied on Tuesday in support of maintenance employees who could potentially lose their jobs.
- Straub to buy Revel power plant, end litigation Updated: Nov-24-15 6:28 pm
CAMDEN, New Jersey - Developer Glenn Straub, utilities and a bank reached a deal Tuesday that removes a major obstacle to the reopening of Atlantic City's former Revel casino.
- Lottery chief reports revenue decline, defends private firm Updated: Nov-24-15 3:15 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Revenue for the New Jersey lottery fell by $5 million in 2015, but officials said Tuesday the state's contract with a private firm helped stop further losses.
- Pinnacle buying Boulder Brands for about $710 million Updated: Nov-24-15 11:38 am
NEW YORK - Pinnacle Foods is buying Boulder Brands for about $710 million in a move that adds a line of health and wellness food brands to Pinnacle's offerings that include Birds Eye frozen foods, Duncan Hines frosting and cake mixes.
- Tesoro to buy Flint Hills assets in Anchorage, Fairbanks Updated: Nov-24-15 9:24 am
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - Tesoro Corp. has announced that its Alaska affiliate will purchase a portion of Flint Hills Resources assets in Fairbanks and Anchorage.
- $160B deal to combine Pfizer and Allergan raises outcry Updated: Nov-23-15 4:57 pm
A $160 billion deal announced Monday to merge Pfizer and Allergan and create the world's biggest drug company renewed the outcry in Washington over "inversions," in which U.S. corporations combine with companies overseas to lower their tax bill.
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions Updated: Nov-23-15 2:37 pm
WASHINGTON - Pfizer and Allergan are pursuing the biggest buyout in health care history, a $160 billion deal that would essentially send one of the biggest U.S. corporations overseas, or at least its legal domicile and principal executive offices.
- Jackson may privatize parking meters Updated: Nov-20-15 10:02 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - The city of Jackson will advertise next month for proposals to privatize the city's parking meter operation.
- Depomed shares fall after Horizon Pharma drops bid Updated: Nov-20-15 8:47 am
NEW YORK - Shares of Depomed fell more than 5 percent in premarket trading Friday, a day after Dublin-based Horizon Pharma dropped its hostile takeover bid of the rival drugmaker.
- ABN Amro bank's re-privatization begins in Amsterdam Updated: Nov-20-15 3:19 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The first chunk of nationalized bank ABN Amro has been re-privatized, with around 20 percent of its stock beginning trading on the Amsterdam stock exchange at an initial price of 17.75 euros ($18.97).
- Horizon drops hostile bid for Depomed after judge's ruling Updated: Nov-19-15 9:08 pm
LOS ANGELES - Horizon Pharma says it is dropping its hostile bid for rival drugmaker Depomed after a judge rejected its effort to nullify Depomed's "poison pill" takeover defense.
- Iowa officials: Medicaid providers sign contract paperwork Updated: Nov-19-15 7:23 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa officials say more than 12,000 Medicaid service providers have signed necessary paperwork to offer care under the state's proposed privatization plan.
- Starboard urges Yahoo to keep Alibaba, sell core business Updated: Nov-19-15 5:23 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Activist investor Starboard Value is urging Yahoo to scrap a planned spinoff of its lucrative stake in Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba and sell its own Internet business instead.
- Republican liquor plan passes state House amid budget talks Updated: Nov-19-15 2:27 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A divided state House on Thursday sent a new proposal to privatize Pennsylvania's government-run liquor system to the Senate, a plan not much different from a Republican-backed bill that Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf vetoed in June.
- ConAgra transformation continues, spins off Lamb Weston Updated: Nov-18-15 3:59 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - ConAgra is spinning off its frozen potatoes business and unloading a second major division as it works to intensify its focus on key name brand foods.
- ON Semiconductor to buy Fairchild for about $2.3 billion Updated: Nov-18-15 2:07 pm
NEW YORK - ON Semiconductor Corp. said Wednesday that it plans to buy Fairchild Semiconductor for about $2.3 billion in cash, to expand its products in the automotive, industrial and smartphone industries.
- Microsemi boosts its buyout offer for PMC-Sierra Updated: Nov-18-15 9:59 am
NEW YORK - Microsemi, a maker of semiconductors, boosted its buyout offer for chipmaker PMC-Sierra again, two days after PMC-Sierra said it preferred a deal with rival Skyworks.
- United Bankshares to acquire Bank of Georgetown Updated: Nov-10-15 9:53 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - United Bankshares, Inc. is acquiring Bank of Georgetown in an all-stock deal valued at approximately $269 million.
- ABN Amro underlying profit rises as re-privatization nears Updated: Nov-09-15 2:59 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Nationalized Dutch bank ABN AMro, which is preparing for re-privatization, says its underlying net profit rose 13 percent in the third quarter from the same period a year ago to 509 million euros ($547 million).
- Federal officials express concern over Iowa's Medicaid plans Updated: Nov-06-15 6:39 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Federal officials reviewing Iowa's plans to switch its $4.2 billion Medicaid program to private care have concerns about the state's timetable for implementing the changes, according to a letter sent Friday to an Iowa official.
- AstraZeneca acquires ZS Pharma in $2.7 billion deal Updated: Nov-06-15 4:47 am
LONDON - Anglo-Swedish drug firm AstraZeneca has acquired U.S.-based biopharmaceutical company ZS Pharma in a deal worth $2.7 billion.
- Italian tissue firm buys Mississippi and Wisconsin plants Updated: Nov-05-15 7:25 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Italian tissue maker Sofidel Group is buying plants in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and Green Bay, Wisconsin, continuing its American expansion.
- City Sports liquidating assets, closing all 26 locations Updated: Nov-05-15 10:57 am
BOSTON - Athletic gear retailer City Sports Inc. is selling its assets to a group known for buying struggling companies after failing to find a buyer willing to keep its more than two dozen stores open.