- La. health dept. seeks restoration of public health funding Updated: May-29-15 4:02 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's health department leaders asked senators Friday to restore $26 million to public health programs next year or risk shuttering safety inspections, water monitoring programs and testing for possible disease outbreaks.
- Democrats shelve Rauner plan to privatize business creation Updated: May-27-15 10:26 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - House Democrats have abandoned Gov. Bruce Rauner's idea to privatize the state's business-development agency but are moving ahead with Speaker Michael Madigan's plan to make the state's shrine to Abraham Lincoln a separate agency.
- Orbitz shareholders approve $1.3B deal to sell to Expedia Updated: May-27-15 1:41 pm
NEW YORK - Orbitz's shareholders have approved a takeover by rival Expedia, Orbitz said Wednesday.
- Westar plans to buy wind power from new plant Updated: May-27-15 7:32 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Westar Energy says it plans to buy energy from a new wind farm to be built in Pratt County.
- FTC approves Reynolds' purchase of cigarette rival Lorillard Updated: May-26-15 8:30 pm
WASHINGTON - Reynolds American's proposed $25 billion acquisition of rival Lorillard has cleared a key regulatory hurdle to move closer to completing a deal that will unite some of the nation's top cigarette brands.
- Tech blog spinoff Re/code is acquired by online media chain Updated: May-26-15 7:22 pm
Tech news blog Re/code said Tuesday it's been acquired by online publishing company Vox Media, just 18 months after spinning off from its former parent, The Wall Street Journal.
- Irish government agrees to sell its Aer Lingus stake to IAG Updated: May-26-15 6:51 pm
DUBLIN - Ireland intends to sell its 25 percent stake in the Aer Lingus airline to IAG after receiving guarantees that the parent company of British Airways will increase employment and air links with the United States, the government announced Tuesday.
- What Charter-Time Warner Cable deal could mean for consumers Updated: May-26-15 4:31 pm
NEW YORK - As the Internet has upended their business, cable companies have been racing to reinvent themselves as dominant broadband providers and distributors of online video.
- LVMH luxury group in talks to buy leading French newspaper Updated: May-26-15 2:53 pm
PARIS - The world's No. 1 luxury goods company LVMH is in talks to buy respected French newspaper Le Parisien, a purchase that would complement its other media holding, the financial daily Les Echos.
- Hot Topic buying Geeknet for about $117.3 million Updated: May-26-15 10:18 am
LOS ANGELES - The retailer Hot Topic is buying the parent company of ThinkGeek and ThinkGeek Solutions for about $117.3 million.
- Portuguese transport unions hold out against privatization Updated: May-26-15 5:56 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portuguese labor groups are vowing to keep up their fight against the government's privatization plans for public transport, as Lisbon subway staff walked off the job for the 43rd time in four years.
- Corporate maneuver at Samsung strengthens heir's influence Updated: May-26-15 12:38 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Two key Samsung companies are merging in a step toward ensuring the son of the group's ailing chairman inherits control of the theme parks to smartphones conglomerate.
- Charter nears deal for Time Warner Cable Updated: May-25-15 6:48 pm
Charter Communications Inc. is close to buying Time Warner Cable for about $55 billion, according to two people familiar with the negotiations.
- Expedia sells stake in Chinese travel service Updated: May-22-15 12:10 pm
NEW YORK - Expedia sold its entire stake in eLong, a Chinese travel service, to a group of businesses based in China for roughly $671 million.
- Dutch government to sell off nationalized ABN Amro bank Updated: May-22-15 10:55 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The Dutch government said Friday it will sell off ABN Amro bank in phases beginning later this year, seven years after the state took it over to prevent its collapse during the global financial crisis.
- Hewlett-Packard sells stake in Chinese unit for $2.3B Updated: May-21-15 4:37 pm
NEW YORK - Hewlett-Packard is selling a controlling stake in its China server and storage unit, a move that comes as the Chinese government, apparently worried about U.S. cyberspying, has encouraged the use of local companies.
- Acxiom selling IT operations to 2 private-equity firms Updated: May-21-15 3:54 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Little Rock-based Acxiom Corp. said it is selling its information-technology infrastructure management operations to two private-equity firms in a potential $190 million deal.
- CVS paying $10.4B in cash for drug distributor Omnicare Updated: May-21-15 3:35 pm
CVS Health will pay more than $10 billion for pharmaceutical distributor Omnicare in a deal primed to feed its fast-growing specialty drug business and tap a lucrative and growing market: care for the elderly.
- SC Ports Authority to help with coal terminal cleanup Updated: May-21-15 1:57 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - The South Carolina Ports Authority plans to spend up to $400,000 on environmental cleanup costs at a former Charleston coal terminal it is selling to a company for a new manufacturing plant.
- Latin American bidders vie for Portuguese flag carrier Updated: May-21-15 10:58 am
LISBON, Portugal - The Portuguese government says it will hold talks with two Latin American airline operators to decide which of the two will be sold a 61 percent stake in state-owned flag carrier TAP Air Portugal.
- Fight over sale of state prison heard at Ohio Supreme Court Updated: May-20-15 11:25 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The status of the nation's first privately-owned state prison was debated in Ohio on Wednesday, as litigation brought on behalf of union workers displaced by the historic sale was argued before the state's high court.
- Delaware officials set to consider Exelon-Pepco deal Updated: May-19-15 4:05 am
DOVER, Delaware - Delaware regulators are set to consider the proposed $6.8 billion acquisition of Delmarva Power and Light Co.'s parent company by Chicago-based Exelon Corp.
- Endo buying Par for $8B in push for generics, higher profit Updated: May-18-15 2:52 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Drugmaker Endo International PLC is climbing toward the top of the steadily consolidating generic medicine business with a deal to buy Par Pharmaceutical Holdings Inc. for about $8.05 billion.
- Ascena goes shopping, buys Ann Taylor for more than $2B Updated: May-18-15 11:29 am
NEW YORK - The Ascena Retail Group is buying the owner of Ann Taylor and Loft in a deal valued at about $2.16 billion.
- Exelon, Pepco plan to comply with state merger conditions Updated: May-18-15 10:26 am
NEW YORK - Exelon and Pepco said Monday that they will work to meet the 46 conditions set by Maryland regulators in order for the two energy providers to combine, even though the companies said completing them will be a challenge.