- Big Lots 2Q results top Street, lifts full-year guidance Updated: Aug-28-15 1:28 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Big Lots' fiscal second-quarter results beat analysts' estimates and the discount retailer boosted its full-year earnings outlook.
- Freeport-McMoRan cuts more spending; Icahn discloses stake Updated: Aug-27-15 5:43 pm
PHOENIX - Activist investor Carl Icahn said late Thursday that he has taken an 8.5-percent stake in Freeport-McMoRan, just hours after the mining company announced cost cuts and lower spending in response to declining copper prices and soft economic conditions worldwide.
- Twitter tries to lure in users as it searches for CEO Updated: Aug-27-15 2:45 pm
NEW YORK - Twitter's most urgent task is naming a new CEO. But the most formidable one is convincing more people that its service is essential, easy to use and not just meant for celebrities, 16-year-olds and news junkies.
- Michaels tops 2Q profit forecasts, bumps 2015 expectation Updated: Aug-27-15 12:35 pm
IRVING, Texas - Shares of Michaels Cos. Jumped Thursday after the arts and crafts store operator topped analyst expectations in its fiscal second quarter and bumped up its forecast for the year.
- Schlumberger buying Cameron International in $12.71B deal Updated: Aug-26-15 5:20 pm
HOUSTON - Schlumberger is buying Cameron in a cash-and-stock deal valued at about $12.71 billion that would create an oilfield equipment and service powerhouse.
- Monsanto abandons takeover bid for Swiss rival Syngenta Updated: Aug-26-15 4:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Agricultural business giant Monsanto is abandoning its takeover bid for competitor Syngenta AG after the Swiss chemical producer rejected its latest offer of nearly $47 billion.
- Brown-Forman posts higher 1st-quarter profit Updated: Aug-26-15 1:55 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Brown-Forman Corp., the producer of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey, said Wednesday that its first-quarter net income rose 4 percent, driven by sales growth across much of its spirits lineup to overcome a negative impact from foreign exchange.
- Federal court backs patent protecting Eli Lilly cancer drug Updated: Aug-26-15 10:13 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Shares of Eli Lilly rose Wednesday after the drugmaker said a federal court upheld a patent protecting one of its top-selling drugs, the cancer treatment Alimta.
- Beijing appears to wind down share-buying - now what? Updated: Aug-25-15 8:25 pm
BEIJING - China's leaders are winding down a strategy of trying to push up slumping stock prices by spending billions of dollars to buy shares.
- Best Buy 2Q performance beats analysts' expectations Updated: Aug-25-15 11:40 am
NEW YORK - Best Buy's turnaround is charging ahead.
- As stock prices sink, ordinary Americans keep their heads up Updated: Aug-25-15 6:55 am
WASHINGTON - Even as anxious investors send stock prices plunging, many Americans are sounding a rather different note:
- Twitter's stock falls below IPO price on user growth worries Updated: Aug-20-15 5:37 pm
NEW YORK - Twitter's battered shares dipped below their IPO price on Thursday as investors worry about the company's ability to grow its user base.
- HP revenue and profit slide, stock falls on weak forecast Updated: Aug-20-15 5:13 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Hewlett-Packard Co. reported sales and profit fell in the last quarter, and its stock slipped further in late trading Thursday after the giant computer-maker issued a forecast for the October quarter that was lower than Wall Street expected.
- Diabetes drug shows 1st protection from heart complications Updated: Aug-20-15 5:05 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - For the first time, there's evidence that a diabetes medication, Jardiance, reduces risk of the complications that are the top killer of diabetics: heart attacks, strokes and other cardiovascular damage.
- Target is getting its groove back: Turnaround takes hold Updated: Aug-19-15 6:43 pm
NEW YORK - Target is on its way back.
- Hormel shares waver as 3Q profit rises and sales slide Updated: Aug-19-15 4:38 pm
AUSTIN, Minnesota - Shares of Hormel, the company behind Spam canned ham, Dinty Moore stew and other products, wavered Wednesday after the company said its quarterly profit grew, but reported disappointing sales that were hurt by the avian flu epidemic and the strong U.S. dollar.
- Lowe's 2Q revenue tops Street, appliance sales strong Updated: Aug-19-15 6:43 am
MOORESVILLE, North Carolina - Lowe's second-quarter revenue beat analyst estimates as customer stocked up on things like appliances and outdoor power equipment.
- Home Depot separates itself from retail crowd in 2Q Updated: Aug-18-15 11:38 am
NEW YORK - Homes are getting a lot of TLC from their owners of late, which means better sales for businesses like Home Depot.
- First NBC posts higher quarterly profit Updated: Aug-18-15 7:37 am
NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans-based First NBC Holding Co. reports its second-quarter profit grew to $16.8 million, or 88 cents per share, compared to $12.4 million, or 65 cents per share, a year ago.
- Pet store operator Petco files for new IPO Updated: Aug-17-15 5:49 pm
NEW YORK - Petco plans to go public again almost nine years after two private equity firms bought the pet store operator.
- QVC owner Liberty buying Zulily in about $2.3 billion deal Updated: Aug-17-15 2:10 pm
NEW YORK - Zulily, which offers flash sales of products like toys and children's clothing geared to young moms, now has a parent.
- Estee Lauder's profit beats expectations, but sales fall Updated: Aug-17-15 9:46 am
NEW YORK - Estee Lauder reported better-than-expected earnings for the fourth quarter, but weak demand for its Clinique and namesake skin care lines trimmed revenue.
- SFX says deal to sell company to its chairman is off Updated: Aug-14-15 6:17 pm
NEW YORK - SFX Entertainment said Friday that a deal to sell the music-festival promoter to its chairman and CEO is off, although it said Robert Sillerman is still interested in buying the company at a lower price and there is another potential buyer.
- In a slow-growth world, technology stocks are trending again Updated: Aug-14-15 5:13 pm
NEW YORK - Technology stocks are trending big-time as investors latch on to innovative companies racing ahead in a slow-growth world.
- Tesla sets stock offering price at $242 per share Updated: Aug-14-15 7:34 am
Tesla Motors is pricing an upcoming offering of its stock at $242 per share, or slightly below the most recent closing price for the electric car maker.