- Montana defends campaign finance law ahead of elections Updated: May-03-16 4:29 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana attorneys on Tuesday defended the state's new campaign finance disclosure law against a gun-rights organization that wants parts of it struck down before next month's primary elections.
- Whittemore finishes sentence in San Francisco halfway house Updated: May-03-16 3:26 pm
RENO, Nevada - Former Nevada lobbyist Harvey Whittemore is a free man after spending 21 months of a two-year prison term in federal custody for breaking campaign contribution laws.
- 2 charged in investigation of northern Idaho PAC Updated: May-03-16 3:26 pm
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho attorney general has charged a state House candidate and another Republican involved in a highly scrutinized political action committee with hiding the source of campaign contributions.
- Jury selection begins in Rep. Chaka Fattah's corruption case Updated: May-02-16 3:46 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Jury selection has begun in the federal corruption trial of Democratic U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah.
- Ex-Rendell aide pleading guilty in FBI campaign cash sting Updated: Apr-29-16 8:22 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A onetime chief of staff to ex-Gov. Ed Rendell agreed in a court document filed Friday to plead guilty to wire fraud for pocketing thousands of dollars in supposed campaign contributions from a fake company set up by the FBI to investigate public corruption in the state.
- High court seems poised to overturn McDonnell conviction Updated: Apr-27-16 3:12 pm
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court could make it tougher for the government to crack down on public corruption, signaling Wednesday that it may overturn former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's federal bribery conviction.
- Court bars extension in case against Essex County executive Updated: Apr-25-16 4:07 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A state watchdog group can't get an extension to pursue campaign finance allegations against Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo, an appeals court ruled Monday in a decision that dealt a setback to the case against the powerful northern New Jersey Democrat.
- Ex-Arkansas judge to remain free during bribery appeal Updated: Apr-25-16 12:08 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A federal judge has ruled that a former Arkansas circuit court judge can remain free pending his appeal of a federal bribery conviction.
- Federal trial slated for Ron Paul 2012 campaign advisers Updated: Apr-25-16 11:29 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Three top campaign advisers to 2012 presidential candidate Ron Paul who are scheduled to go on trial this week have lost their fight to get charges of conspiracy to cover up campaign payments to a former state senator dismissed.
- Mississippi House turns back limit on taking campaign cash Updated: Apr-19-16 2:29 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - With longtime members rebelling against changes, the Mississippi House voted down a bill that would have restricted personal use of campaign money.
- Guinta remains unpopular after money troubles Updated: Apr-19-16 1:49 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A new poll shows only 4 percent of likely voters in New Hampshire's 1st Congressional District say they would definitely vote to re-elect Republican Frank Guinta in the wake of his campaign finance troubles, though fewer voters rule him out completely.
- Zappala to return $15K donation from Scranton businessman Updated: Apr-19-16 9:58 am
PITTSBURGH - Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala Jr. will return $15,000 donated to his campaign for state attorney general from a company owned by a wealthy northeastern Pennsylvania businessman.
- Judge weighs whether low contribution limits are justified Updated: Apr-18-16 5:03 pm
HELENA, Montana - What Montana officials call evidence of corruption that justifies the state's low campaign contribution limits is really just democracy in action, an attorney for individuals, groups and political organizations trying to strike down the limits said Monday.
- Ex-president of Broward teacher union gets 5 years' prison Updated: Apr-15-16 5:56 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - The former president of the Broward Teachers Union has been sentenced to five years in prison for fraud and campaign finance violations.
- Florida lawmaker faces fraud charges over campaign cash Updated: Apr-15-16 4:43 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - A state representative from Jacksonville has been indicted on charges he used more than $65,000 in campaign contributions on personal expenses like liquor, jewelry, flowers and groceries, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Jacksonville announced Friday.
- Missouri attorney general hopeful would want corruption unit Updated: Apr-12-16 7:16 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Republican candidate for Missouri attorney general says he would create a corruption unit to tackle misuse of public office if he is elected, part of a series of ethics-related policies he's pitching as state lawmakers make a renewed push for reform.
- The Latest: Judge sets hearing in lawmaker's dark money case Updated: Apr-11-16 6:24 pm
HELENA, Montana - The Latest on the dark money case against a Montana legislator (all times local):
- Former congressman's chief of staff charged in ethics case Updated: Apr-06-16 7:31 pm
WASHINGTON - A former congressman's chief of staff has been charged with using congressional funds to pay a campaign consultant.
- New campaign finance laws drop criminal provisions Updated: Apr-06-16 1:10 pm
PHOENIX - A sweeping campaign finance bill enacted by the Arizona Legislature that critics say will flood the state with dark money in campaigns also removes criminal penalties for various types of political corruption.
- Virginia lawmakers banish pricey gifts - but not fundraisers Updated: Apr-06-16 11:49 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - In the Old Dominion, fancy gifts are out, but luxury fundraisers are still in.