- Democrat Shea-Porter ready to run again for Guinta's seat Updated: May-28-15 4:39 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Former U.S. Rep. Carol Shea-Porter said Thursday she is prepared to win back the seat she lost to Republican Frank Guinta now that the Federal Election Commission has found that he accepted illegal campaign donations from his parents.
- Ex-South Carolina state Sen. Ford sentenced to probation Updated: May-28-15 2:22 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Former state Senator Robert Ford must serve five years of probation on charges connected to an ethics case involving campaign funds spent on expenses including gym memberships, clothes and male enhancement drugs, according to a sentence handed down Thursday.
- Repeal of Minnesota campaign giving law renders lawsuit moot Updated: May-27-15 2:33 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A lawyer for a group challenging Minnesota restrictions on certain campaign donations has advised a federal judge that the case can be dismissed following changes to the state law made by the Legislature.
- Commissioner to reactivate $500,000 campaign donation case Updated: May-27-15 11:57 am
HELENA, Montana - The state commissioner of political practices is reactivating a complaint against 2012 GOP gubernatorial candidate Rick Hill for accepting a $500,000 campaign donation from the Montana Republican Party.
- Court sets high bar on states' campaign contribution limits Updated: May-26-15 8:06 pm
HELENA, Montana - States may cap political donors' campaign contributions only if they can show that those limits are preventing corruption or the appearance of corruption, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.
- Ex-Israeli Premier Olmert sentenced to 8 months in prison Updated: May-25-15 8:56 am
JERUSALEM - Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was sentenced Monday to eight months in prison for unlawfully accepting money from a U.S. supporter, capping the dramatic downfall of a man who only years earlier led the country and hoped to bring about a historic peace agreement with the Palestinians.
- Utah official took donation from 1-800 Contacts Updated: May-21-15 6:38 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes accepted a $5,000 campaign donation from a contact lens seller based in the state after his office began defending a new law that critics say was written at the company's behest.
- Republican lawyer lodges new complaints against Sorrell Updated: May-20-15 7:11 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - A Republican lawyer who has led the charge of criticisms about alleged campaign finance abuses by Vermont Attorney General William Sorrell added to his list of complaints Wednesday.
- New nominees gird for Pennsylvania high-court campaign Updated: May-20-15 2:56 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Party endorsements and money made the difference in who was nominated for state Supreme Court in Pennsylvania's primary election.
- GOP committee declines to ask Guinta to resign Updated: May-19-15 7:30 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The New Hampshire Republican Party's Executive Committee has declined to ask U.S. Rep Frank Guinta to resign, despite calls from fellow Republicans that he step down after the Federal Election Commission found he broke the law by accepting campaign donations from his parents.
- Capitol scandals raise tough questions for New York governor Updated: May-16-15 2:17 pm
ALBANY, New York - They were Albany's most powerful men: the governor, the Senate leader and the Assembly speaker. Together, they negotiated billion-dollar budgets and decided which bills passed and which ones didn't.
- RI speaker: Lawmaker shouldn't resign after no contest plea Updated: May-13-15 2:30 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The speaker of the Rhode Island House says a former member of his leadership team should not resign his seat after he pleaded no contest to personal use of campaign funds.
- NY Assembly votes for closing campaign finance loophole Updated: May-12-15 8:01 pm
ALBANY, New York - The New York Assembly voted Tuesday to close a campaign finance loophole for limited liability companies, which a Senate committee chairman has refused to consider.
- RI lawmaker pleads no contest to misusing campaign funds Updated: May-12-15 3:34 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Democratic Rep. Joseph Almeida has pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of misappropriating campaign funds.
- French court says phone-tapping of Sarkozy, lawyer was legal Updated: May-07-15 7:46 am
PARIS - The Paris appeals court ruled Thursday that investigating judges didn't break any laws when they tapped conversations between former President Nicolas Sarkozy and his lawyer, in connection with a probe into past campaign financing.
- St Bernard Parish president indicted: campaign finance Updated: May-06-15 5:35 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - St. Bernard Parish President Dave Peralta is accused of using campaign donations to gamble in New Orleans-area casinos and lying about it to the grand jury that indicted him Wednesday.
- Brazil weighs investigating ex-leader Silva Updated: May-04-15 6:37 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Federal prosecutors in Brazil confirmed Monday that they are weighing whether to open a full investigation into former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva's alleged overseas lobbying efforts for the scandal-plagued construction firm Odebrecht, the nation's biggest builder.
- Connecticut man sentenced in campaign donation scam Updated: May-01-15 5:06 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A Connecticut man who served as a conduit for a campaign donation from tobacco shop owners to Christopher Donovan's 5th District congressional campaign has been sentenced to 13 months in prison.