- Portugal's fellow euro states keep wary eye on its budget Updated: Feb-11-16 12:28 pm
BRUSSELS - Portugal's fellow states in the eurozone are keeping a wary eye on its plans to roll back budget austerity measures, with the bloc's top executive and Germany both warning the country not to miss deficit targets.
- W.Va. gov: GOP lawmakers not addressing budget "frustrating" Updated: Feb-11-16 12:11 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - About halfway through the 60-day legislative session, Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin says it's frustrating that lawmakers haven't considered options to plug a massive budget hole.
- The Latest: Fracking tax not on legislative leaders' agenda Updated: Feb-11-16 12:05 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Latest from a forum for journalists organized by The Associated Press (all times local):
- Nashua aldermen approve solar energy system legislation Updated: Feb-11-16 11:57 am
NASHUA, New Hampshire - New legislation approved by aldermen in Nashua allows for home and business owners to install solar energy systems without raising their property taxes.
- Florida House passes nearly $80 billion budget Updated: Feb-11-16 11:48 am
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The Florida House has passed a nearly $80 billion budget after a lengthy partisan debate.
- Average US rate on 30-year mortgage falls to 3.65 percent Updated: Feb-11-16 11:35 am
WASHINGTON - Average long-term U.S. mortgage rates fell this week for the sixth straight week as markets around the globe continued the whipsaw trading that has marked this year so far.
- Congress moves near final OK of local Internet tax ban Updated: Feb-11-16 11:28 am
WASHINGTON - State and local governments would be permanently barred from taxing access to the Internet under a bipartisan compromise the Senate began pushing on Thursday toward congressional approval.
- Head of Google in Europe grilled by UK lawmakers Updated: Feb-11-16 11:17 am
LONDON - A British parliamentary committee has grilled Google's president of European operations, questioning in blunt terms whether the Internet giant had paid its fair share of taxes.
- Cantwell calls for support for Hanford Updated: Feb-11-16 11:06 am
KENNEWICK, Washington - Democratic Sen. Maria Cantwell of Washington is worried about an Obama administration proposal to reduce the budget for the Hanford Nuclear Reservation.
- Medical pot advocates oppose proposed Rhode Island plant tax Updated: Feb-11-16 10:14 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Medical marijuana advocates are opposing an annual $350-per-plant fee that Democratic Gov. Gina Raimondo wants to impose on some growers as part of her revenue plan.
- Utah cities say they don't want new liquor stores Updated: Feb-11-16 8:16 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Though studies have shown Utah needs more liquor stores to meet demand, Gov. Gary Herbert has not chosen to include new stores in his budget this year as many cities don't want the burden.
- Army Corps Engineers denies funding for Red River study Updated: Feb-11-16 8:15 am
SHREVEPORT, Louisiana - The U.S. Army Corps Engineers has denied funding for a study of Red River which was requested in response to flooding in June.
- Bristol, Kingsport reclaim liquor-by-the-drink tax revenues Updated: Feb-11-16 6:44 am
BRISTOL, Tennessee - A chancellor has dismissed a lawsuit in which Sullivan County and the Sullivan County Board of Education sought about $2 million in liquor-by-the-drink tax revenues from Bristol and Kingsport.
- Ex-tax collector accused of stealing money to stand trial Updated: Feb-11-16 5:33 am
SKOWHEGAN, Maine - A former tax collector accused of stealing more than $400,000 from a Maine town is set to be tried in June.
- Louisiana's current budget woes mirror 1988 financial gaps Updated: Feb-11-16 5:02 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A new Louisiana governor inherits a massive budget mess, a state struggling with years of red ink that his predecessor patched through rather than fixing. Now, government services are on the chopping block, threatened with hefty reductions.
- Kansas House, Senate to consider own budget-balancing plans Updated: Feb-11-16 5:01 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House and Senate are considering separate plans for balancing the next state budget.
- Federal budget includes $75M for Tempe Streetcar Project Updated: Feb-11-16 5:01 am
TEMPE, Arizona - U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx says the government's fiscal year 2017 budget includes $75 million for construction of the Tempe Streetcar Project.
- Chicago transit overhaul gets $156M in new federal funds Updated: Feb-11-16 4:50 am
CHICAGO - The federal government is steering $156 million in new funding to help Chicago modernize congested and aging sections of its busiest commuter rail corridor.
- Report: Illinois' budget woes will require 'painful' fixes Updated: Feb-11-16 4:10 am
CHICAGO - A Chicago-based research group says cleaning up Illinois' budget mess will require difficult decisions such as raising the income tax, slashing spending and imposing taxes on food, services and some retirement income.
- All-male panel in Utah votes to keep sales tax on tampons Updated: Feb-10-16 9:44 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah committee of all-male lawmakers has voted to keep the sales tax on tampons and other feminine hygiene products despite an international push to remove it.
- Corrections director outlines plan for Lincoln facility Updated: Feb-10-16 9:20 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Transforming Nebraska's troubled prisons must begin by expanding and improving lower-security facilities, the state corrections director told lawmakers, who questioned whether such changes could be implemented quickly enough to avoid a possible federal lawsuit.
- Senate resets vote repealing technical education cuts Updated: Feb-10-16 8:55 pm
PHOENIX - The Arizona Senate on Wednesday abruptly called off a vote on legislation aimed at restoring cuts made to high school career and technical education programs last year after Gov. Doug Ducey called for urgent consultations, then rescheduled it for Thursday after Legislative leaders met with the governor.
- Insurers back proposed California health plan tax Updated: Feb-10-16 8:34 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Most of California's health insurance companies said Wednesday they're supporting Gov. Jerry Brown's plan to restructure a tax on health plans.
- Justice focuses on budget cuts during State of Judiciary Updated: Feb-10-16 8:30 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The chief justice of the Alaska Supreme Court told state lawmakers Wednesday that judicial services have already been impacted by budget cuts and he proposed universal furloughs and regular court closures to help absorb anticipated cuts for the coming year.
- Lawmakers vote to approve revenue targets for budgeting Updated: Feb-10-16 8:14 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - A group of South Dakota lawmakers approved a roughly $1.48 billion target for general state revenues in the upcoming budget year Wednesday, the same day the state economist said he expects slow, but continued economic growth.