- Illinois high court takes Moline company's tax break appeal Updated: Nov-26-15 2:01 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois Supreme Court has agreed to decide whether a Moline-based aviation company is entitled to a state property tax break being challenged by a local school district.
- Is Portugal about to go down the same road as Greece? Updated: Nov-26-15 11:43 am
LISBON, Portugal - An anti-austerity alliance including radical leftist parties takes power. A shaky economy and huge debts menace the national economy. The rest of Europe watches with a wary eye.
- Some see transportation projects dwindling in New Jersey Updated: Nov-26-15 9:58 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - Drivers on New Jersey roads this holiday season might see fewer signs of state contracting work, and some in the industry say it's a result of a dwindling fund to pay for roads, bridges and other infrastructure.
- Nevada taxable sales up 5 percent in September Updated: Nov-25-15 7:51 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The amount of taxable sales in Nevada rose more than 5 percent in September compared with the same month a year ago, although state revenue collected from it is slightly less than expected.
- Ex-bookkeeper for Mesa company gets prison for tax evasion Updated: Nov-25-15 6:18 pm
PHOENIX - A former bookkeeper for a Mesa company has been sentenced to 30 months in federal prison for income tax evasion.
- Minnesota braces for legal fight over PolyMet mine decisions Updated: Nov-25-15 5:08 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A top state official said Wednesday he was finalizing plans for retaining an outside law firm to handle lawsuits stemming from PolyMet Mining Corp.'s proposal to build a copper-nickel mine in northeastern Minnesota, which is expected to be challenged regardless of whether state regulators approve the project's needed permits.
- Counties may sue Pennsylvania over 5-month budget standoff Updated: Nov-25-15 4:44 pm
Pennsylvania's cash-strapped counties are saying enough is enough as the budget impasse in Harrisburg nears its sixth month. They are exploring a lawsuit to force the state to release funds, and at least one already declared it will protest by withholding millions of dollars it collects in state real estate transfer taxes and court fees.
- New Mexico AG: Budget not keeping pace with crime growth Updated: Nov-25-15 4:43 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico faces a public safety crisis and needs resources to respond to everything from police officer shootings to consumer fraud, state Attorney General Hector Balderas said.
- UT report lays out options for boosting road funding Updated: Nov-25-15 4:34 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - A University of Tennessee study released Wednesday is laying out some options for the state to boost its funding for road projects, ranging from charging drivers by the mile to tapping the state's general fund.
- How to make sure your green home upgrades pay off Updated: Nov-25-15 4:34 pm
Investing in making your home more energy efficient can help the environment, lower your utility bills and possibly help you fetch a higher sale price.
- UK backs off cuts to tax breaks for lower income households Updated: Nov-25-15 3:32 pm
LONDON - Britain's Treasury chief abandoned controversial cuts in tax credits for the working poor and kept police funding intact on Wednesday as he updated Parliament on the government's budget plans.
- Illinois makes tax break deals with 3 companies Updated: Nov-25-15 3:03 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois Department of Commerce has agreed to tax breaks for three small companies that plan to add a total of 87 new jobs, the first deals since Gov. Bruce Rauner's recent decision to reinstate corporate tax incentives.
- Gov. Matt Mead not ready for tax increases despite coal drop Updated: Nov-25-15 1:45 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Gov. Matt Mead says he's not ready to support other tax increases to cover what state analysts say will likely be a steep decline in coal revenues over coming years.
- Germany gives Greece 10,000 records on possible tax cheats Updated: Nov-25-15 1:12 pm
BERLIN - Germany has shared some 10,000 records on possible Greek tax cheats with Athens.
- Another $48M taken from roadwork, steered to plug deficit Updated: Nov-25-15 10:25 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Despite criticism, Gov. Bobby Jindal has taken $48 million that would have been used on roads and bridges and used it instead to plug this year's budget deficit.
- Federal contractor pleads guilty to faking tax returns Updated: Nov-25-15 6:17 am
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - A federal contractor has pleaded guilty to faking his corporate and personal income tax returns for three years.
- South Bend to give tax abatement to Studebaker property Updated: Nov-25-15 3:50 am
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - The South Bend Common Council has given preliminary approval to a $934,000 tax abatement for a portion of the former Studebaker assembly plant south of downtown.
- Michigan, Fiat Chrysler reach deal on tax credits Updated: Nov-24-15 9:31 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Fiat Chrysler will have to spend an additional $1 billion on Michigan facilities over 15 years to qualify for $1.9 billion in business tax credits under an agreement approved Tuesday by the state's economic development board.
- Budget work to continue after whirlwind of finger-pointing Updated: Nov-24-15 7:29 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A two-day whirlwind of accusations, counter-accusations and a threat to override Gov. Tom Wolf's veto of a short-term spending bill yielded no firm assurances Tuesday night that Pennsylvania's five-month budget stalemate would end soon.
- County to Pennsylvania: No state budget, no tax payments Updated: Nov-24-15 6:44 pm
DOYLESTOWN, Pennsylvania - Elected officials in a suburban Philadelphia county have turned the tables on state government, withholding all tax payments owed to Pennsylvania because state lawmakers and the governor have failed to reach agreement on a budget.
- Lawmakers eyeing 2nd week of December for budget session Updated: Nov-24-15 6:10 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Legislative leaders say they're considering a possible special legislative session during the second week of December to address Connecticut's budget shortfall.
- The Latest: Budget work to continue after two-day whirlwind Updated: Nov-24-15 6:06 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The latest from Gov. Tom Wolf and top lawmakers on efforts to negotiate a deal to end Pennsylvania state government's five-month budget standoff (all times local):
- Kansas urges court to let governor, lawmakers decide funding Updated: Nov-24-15 5:59 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - State attorneys urged the Kansas Supreme Court on Tuesday to allow the governor and lawmakers to decide whether schools were getting enough money, not a small number of school districts challenging in the courts a new school-funding law.
- Opponents of Initiative 1366 file new suit in King County Updated: Nov-24-15 4:53 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Opponents of Tim Eyman's latest tax-limiting initiative filed a new lawsuit this week seeking to have the law invalidated.
- Decades later, Pennsylvania city no longer 'distressed' Updated: Nov-24-15 4:21 pm
CLAIRTON, Pennsylvania - A southwestern Pennsylvania city that spent nearly 28 years in a state program for financially distressed municipalities is finally leaving it.