- Milwaukee funding for new Bucks arena goes before public Updated: Aug-31-15 9:26 pm
MILWAUKEE - The public's first opportunity to formally comment on part of a $500 million funding plan to build a new Milwaukee Bucks arena attracted an overflow crowd Monday evening, with one group questioning how the city has enough money to help pay for the project but not neighborhood or school investments.
- In Alaska, Obama depicts stark future without climate action Updated: Aug-31-15 9:04 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Submerged countries, abandoned cities and floods of refugees await the world barring urgent action on climate change, President Barack Obama warned Monday, painting a doomsday scenario as he opened a historic visit to Alaska.
- Washington budget writer leaving House to run Early Learning Updated: Aug-31-15 8:44 pm
SEATTLE - Gov. Jay Inslee announced Monday he has appointed Rep. Ross Hunter, the House budget writer, to be the new director of the Department of Early Learning.
- Utah County voters won't have to fill 2 ballots after all Updated: Aug-31-15 7:07 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah's elections office says it has resolved a dispute over mail-in ballots that could have left voters in some Utah County cities casting ballots twice this November.
- Senate panel says no to request for lt. gov's correspondence Updated: Aug-31-15 6:12 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves' email and other correspondence are not public records that are subject to disclosure, the Mississippi Senate Rules Committee said Monday. Leaders of a group promoting a school funding amendment disagreed.
- Great State of Maine Air Show returns after 3-year hiatus Updated: Aug-31-15 5:41 pm
BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Great State of Maine Air Show is returning for the first time since getting grounded by federal budget cuts, and advance ticket sales indicate it's going to be a big draw from across the region.
- MBTA's repair backlog climbs above $7 billion Updated: Aug-31-15 5:14 pm
BOSTON - The cost of bringing Boston's transit system into overall sound working order has climbed again and is now estimated at more than $7.3 billion, transportation officials said Monday.
- Rates jump at weekly US Treasury bill auction Updated: Aug-31-15 4:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Interest rates on short-term Treasury bills jumped in Monday's auction, rising to their highest levels in several weeks.
- Atlantic City casinos urge Christie to sign rescue bills Updated: Aug-31-15 4:16 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Atlantic City's casinos say Gov. Chris Christie's delay in signing a financial assistance package could hurt the city's taxpayers.
- Arkansas sheriff wants voluntary tax to fund pay raises Updated: Aug-31-15 3:53 pm
TEXARKANA, Arkansas - The Hempstead County sheriff is proposing a voluntary tax as a "last-ditch effort" to fund pay raises for deputies and jailers.
- Moody's warns Illinois lawmakers of budget stalemate impact Updated: Aug-31-15 3:02 pm
CHICAGO - A major credit rating agency is warning legislators and Gov. Bruce Rauner to reach a budget agreement by late September because it's linked to other massive financial problems.
- Illinois' history museum is latest target in political fight Updated: Aug-31-15 1:08 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The skeleton of a massive mastodon, thousands of Native American artifacts and a giant shark could be the next casualties in an increasingly ugly fight over Illinois' state budget that has dragged on for months with no sign of ending.
- Groups ask Kasich to end funds to Planned Parenthood Updated: Aug-31-15 10:50 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Anti-abortion groups in Ohio have called on Gov. John Kasich to block Medicaid payments to Planned Parenthood, though federal health officials have warned other states that such a move could violate the law.
- Bismarck, Mandan both delay building new fire stations Updated: Aug-31-15 9:46 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Budget issues are delaying the construction of new fire stations in Bismarck and Mandan, although fire officials say growth in the neighboring cities will dictate their development in the near future.
- Dodge City adopting half-cent sales tax Updated: Aug-31-15 8:52 am
DODGE CITY, Alabama - Dodge City will be charging a half-cent sales tax starting in October.
- Thibodaux council to consider sales tax increase Updated: Aug-31-15 8:07 am
THIBODAUX, Louisiana - Thibodaux voters could see a sales tax increase and another tax proposal on the ballot next spring.
- Japan seeks biggest-ever defense budget amid China concerns Updated: Aug-31-15 7:55 am
TOKYO - Japan's Defense Ministry wants to buy an advanced Aegis radar-equipped destroyer and more F-35 fighters under its largest-ever budget to bolster the defense of southern islands amid a territorial dispute with China.
- New Alaska Moose Federation Director to reign in budget Updated: Aug-31-15 7:46 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The new executive director of the Alaska Moose Federation says he will focus on reigning in both the organization's finances and mission.
- Tax amnesty for Kansans begins on Tuesday Updated: Aug-31-15 7:40 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansans who owe back taxes to the state should consider paying them in the next few weeks.
- Douglas: Funding K-12 education with pot initiative 'evil' Updated: Aug-31-15 6:14 am
PHOENIX - A voter initiative that would legalize marijuana in Arizona and add a tax to help fund education has an adamant opponent in the state superintendent of public instruction.
- Mississippi surgeon appeals tax evasion conviction Updated: Aug-31-15 4:37 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - A Mississippi orthopedic surgeon has appealed his income tax evasion conviction to a federal appeals court in New Orleans.
- EXCHANGE: First house in Plainfield example of preservation Updated: Aug-31-15 4:10 am
PLAINFIELD, Illinois - John and Keebie Bright's new home in Plainfield is filled with antiques.
- Virginia Tech Board of Visitors to hold meeting in Arlington Updated: Aug-31-15 2:09 am
BLACKSBURG, Virginia - Virginia Tech's Board of Visitors is expected to discuss potential state budget requests during a quarterly meeting in Northern Virginia.
- Analysis: Holes and worries emerge in Louisiana's budget Updated: Aug-30-15 4:46 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - As lawmakers patched their way through this year's budget, many of them talked as if they had drawn up a six-month plan, fully expecting Louisiana's next governor to come in with a broader blueprint for fixing the state's financial mess.
- Analysis: Detailed state agency budgets available online Updated: Aug-30-15 4:46 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - For political junkies who can't get enough of the legislative budgeting process or for average folks just curious about how much money is being requested by Mississippi government agencies, the website http://www.lbo.ms.gov is just the ticket.