- Shelbyville to tap tax funds from 2nd business district Updated: May-22-15 5:15 am
SHELBYVILLE, Illinois - Shelbyville city officials are creating a second business district that will benefit from a 1 percent sales tax.
- What House members talked about during NC budget debate Updated: May-22-15 4:40 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina House voted on 45 amendments during debate Thursday and early Friday over the chamber's two-year state budget. Here are the outcomes of some contentious or high-profile issues. The chamber:
- GOP's NC budget proposal gets lots of Democratic votes Updated: May-22-15 4:36 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - House Republicans experienced the first showing of strong bipartisan support for a budget bill since before the Great Recession as the chamber passed a two-year spending plan that benefited from a revenue windfall.
- Georgia-Pacific plant closing marks end of era in Parchment Updated: May-22-15 4:14 am
PARCHMENT, Michigan - Even though he retired 25 years ago, Murphy Darden still finds pride in taking visitors to the site of the former paper mill in Parchment where he made a living as a painter.
- Arkansas Tech University approves tuition increase Updated: May-22-15 3:49 am
RUSSELLVILLE, Arkansas - Arkansas Tech University's Board of Trustees has approved a $158.9 million operating budget that includes a tuition increase for its main campus in Russellville.
- Tax cut deal struck with end of Texas Legislature in sight Updated: May-22-15 2:33 am
AUSTIN, Texas - A newly struck budget deal is giving new Republican Gov. Greg Abbott the tax cuts he demanded but remains blemished by skepticism that Texas homeowners will notice any savings.
- Massachusetts Senate passes $38 billion state budget Updated: May-22-15 1:20 am
BOSTON - The Massachusetts Senate has passed a $38 billion state budget.
- More NC budget changes made before House gives initial OK Updated: May-22-15 12:50 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A solid bipartisan majority in the House gave initial approval Thursday night to the chamber's state budget proposal for the next two years that was buoyed by additional expected funds from a recovering economy for pay raises, reserves and Medicaid.
- Finance committee leaves SeniorCare program alone Updated: May-21-15 10:49 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - The Legislature's finance committee has rejected Gov. Scott Walker's cuts to Wisconsin's popular SeniorCare program.
- Madigan postpones millionaire tax bill after failed vote Updated: May-21-15 10:04 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan's effort to impose a new income tax on millionaires has stalled.
- Nevada lawmakers comb through Sandoval's revised tax plan Updated: May-21-15 10:03 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Gov. Brian Sandoval lined up an army of supporters when he presented a tax plan aimed at modernizing Nevada's last-in-the-nation school system in March, and he pulled off a substantial feat a month later when the bill passed the Republican-controlled Senate 17-4. But Republican allies in the Assembly who favored a different type of tax later presented a plan of their own, and even senators who voted in favor of the bill said their decision was more about the general idea of raising money for schools and toward Sandoval's proposed $7.4 billion, two-year budget than the governor's specific tax policy.
- Gov. Rauner softens some 'Turnaround Agenda' demands Updated: May-21-15 9:58 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gov. Bruce Rauner plans to introduce legislation Friday to advance a scaled-back version of the pro-business agenda he's been pushing across Illinois for months, setting up another potential showdown with Democrats who've criticized him for not putting his priorities in writing as the end of session nears.
- Bill would keep kicker for budget reserves, education Updated: May-21-15 9:52 pm
SALEM, Oregon - An Oregon Democrat introduced a bill Thursday that would cancel anticipated "kicker" tax rebates and use the money instead for education and the state's reserve fund.
- Legislature adjourns special session called by Walker Updated: May-21-15 9:46 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Alaska Legislature on Thursday ended the special session called by Gov. Bill Walker and immediately began its own special session, in Anchorage instead of Juneau.
- Puerto Rico legislators narrowly approve sales tax increase Updated: May-21-15 9:16 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Legislation that would increase Puerto Rico's sales tax from 7 percent to 11.5 percent squeaked by late Thursday with the minimum amount of votes needed in the U.S. territory's House of Representatives.
- Kansas Senate's GOP leaders cancel debate on tax increases Updated: May-21-15 8:53 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Top Republicans in the GOP-dominated Kansas Senate canceled their first scheduled debate Thursday on raising taxes to erase a projected budget shortfall, just before lawmakers scuttled out of the Statehouse for an extended holiday weekend.
- Kansas House approves variety of election changes Updated: May-21-15 8:47 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House approved a measure Thursday that would move local elections to the fall in odd-numbered years in a bid to boost turnout.
- Kansas lawmakers negotiate agreement on $15.5B state budget Updated: May-21-15 8:37 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Negotiators for the Kansas House and Senate have agreed on a proposed budget that would limit increases in tuition at state universities.
- University board OKs 8 percent tuition hike for nonresidents Updated: May-21-15 8:08 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Undergraduates from outside California and graduate students preparing for careers outside academia will pay more to attend the University of California in the fall under a revised plan approved by the 10-campus system's governing board on Thursday.
- Republicans move to restructure Walker's job creation agency Updated: May-21-15 8:05 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Republican lawmakers on the Legislature's finance committee moved Thursday to restructure Gov. Scott Walker's struggling job creation agency, approving a plan to remove the governor as chairman, dramatically reduce the agency's reserves and eliminate a program that would fund regional loans.
- Louisiana House passes $24B budget proposal for next year Updated: May-21-15 7:40 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A $24.3 billion budget proposal for next year that contains fewer cuts than lawmakers had feared but still leaves public health care programs short received passage Thursday from the Louisiana House.
- Alabama's nearly $6B education budget nears final approval Updated: May-21-15 7:35 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's nearly $6 billion education budget cleared a series of hurdles Thursday and is now nearing final approval.
- Environmental advocates picket at governor's mansion Updated: May-21-15 7:31 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Environmental advocates picketed outside the governor's mansion to demand a veto of some policy provisions in the budget bill.
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: May-21-15 6:48 pm
Racine Journal Times, May 20
- SC Senate remains at impasse over budget, road funding Updated: May-21-15 6:24 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - With six days left in the legislative session, senators are at an impasse over the upcoming state budget and how to fix South Carolina's deteriorating roads.