- Big changes coming to SC bank that loans out money for roads Updated: Apr-28-16 2:55 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Big changes are coming to the agency which helps get loans for massive road projects in South Carolina.
- Marijuana advocate dubbed NJ Weedman arrested again, for pot Updated: Apr-28-16 2:48 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A New Jersey marijuana advocate dubbed NJ Weedman has been arrested again on marijuana charges after law enforcement raided his restaurant and cannabis temple.
- Vermont Speaker open to nonbinding vote on legalizing pot Updated: Apr-28-16 2:46 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Speaker of the Vermont House of Representatives says having a nonbinding vote on whether to legalize marijuana in the state is the best way to gauge public opinion on the issue.
- Colorado House advances late-session roads, schools spending Updated: Apr-28-16 2:42 pm
DENVER - With less than two weeks to go in Colorado's legislative session, the Democrat-led House has advanced a proposal to increase state spending on underfunded roads and schools.
- NCAA Board of Directors brings back satellite football camps Updated: Apr-28-16 2:38 pm
The NCAA Division I Board of Directors rescinded a proposed ban on satellite camps Thursday, rebuffing a request from powerhouse conferences in the South and clearing the way for coaches to hold clinics far from their campuses this summer.
- Documents: SEC, Port Authority discussing probe resolution Updated: Apr-28-16 2:29 pm
NEW YORK - The Securities and Exchange Commission has been discussing a possible resolution of its probe into the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
- California lawmakers advance gas moratorium after huge leak Updated: Apr-28-16 2:16 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's state Assembly is advancing legislation to extend the closure of a gas storage facility after it spewed massive amounts of natural gas for nearly four months.
- LGBT anti-discrimination employment bill advances in Senate Updated: Apr-28-16 2:10 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Senators advanced a proposal to ban employment discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, moments after an initial vote appeared to stall the measure in committee.
- New Mexico senator defends wilderness designation Updated: Apr-28-16 2:09 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Democratic U.S. Sen. Martin Heinrich on Thursday defended a proposal to create two federal wilderness areas in northern New Mexico in response to criticism that the legislation could limit state revenues from timber and mining operations.
- Iraqi authorities shut down Al Jazeera's Baghdad bureau Updated: Apr-28-16 1:19 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The Al Jazeera Media Network says Iraqi authorities have shut down their bureau in Baghdad and banned its journalists from reporting in the country.
- Tracking the flow of guns used in crime is inexact science Updated: Apr-28-16 1:04 pm
SMYRNA, Georgia - Adventure Outdoors is an 80,000-square-foot store with walls lined with long guns, cases packed with handguns and aisles jammed with all the accessories an avid outdoorsman would need: coolers, clothing, ammo. At the customer service counter is a government-issued poster that warns: "Don't lie for the other guy."
- Significant premium hikes expected under Obama health law Updated: Apr-28-16 12:37 pm
WASHINGTON - Insurers will seek significant premium hikes under President Barack Obama's health care law this summer - stiff medicine for consumers and voters ahead of the national political conventions.
- Cabela's to pay $1M to settle SEC complaint Updated: Apr-28-16 11:48 am
SIDNEY, Nebraska - Outdoor outfitter Cabela's has agreed to pay $1 million to settle a complaint from federal regulators that investors were misled about the Sydney-based company's 2012 profitability ratios.
- Senate committee OKs millions to aid Flint in water crisis Updated: Apr-28-16 11:20 am
WASHINGTON - A Senate committee on Thursday approved a $220 million aid package for Flint, Michigan, as the city struggles to deal with a water crisis and public health emergency from lead-contaminated pipes.
- New Jersey doctor facing fraud charges loses his license Updated: Apr-28-16 11:14 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - A New Jersey doctor accused of giving unnecessary steroid injections and creating fake patient records has been stripped of his license.
- Volkswagen CEO apologized in person to Obama over scandal Updated: Apr-28-16 11:04 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Volkswagen's CEO says he apologized in person to U.S. President Barack Obama for the carmaker's emissions scandal, in which it rigged its cars to cheat on diesel engine pollution tests.
- Bid to end open burning of chemical waste advances in House Updated: Apr-28-16 4:17 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A bid to end the open burning of hazardous waste and waste explosives in Louisiana narrowly advanced out of a House committee.
- Egypt explorers hunt gold in the desert, following ancients Updated: Apr-28-16 2:22 am
EASTERN DESERT, Egypt - Off the off-road tracks deep in Egypt's eastern desert, prospectors are ramping up the hunt for the treasure once revered by the Pharaohs as the "skin of the gods" - gold.
- Senate considers under-21 ban on tobacco sales Updated: Apr-28-16 12:42 am
BOSTON - A bill before the state Senate seeks to make Massachusetts the second U.S. state to outlaw the sale of cigarettes and other tobacco products to people under the age of 21.
- Pingree, Poliquin want new rules for Cuban-bound flights Updated: Apr-28-16 12:40 am
BANGOR, Maine - Maine's two U.S. representatives are proposing new legislation that they say will help create jobs by updating regulations that cause American airports to lose business to Canada.
- Lawmakers optimistic restraining order change will pass Updated: Apr-28-16 12:06 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut legislative leaders were optimistic Wednesday that this is the year the General Assembly will pass legislation barring people with temporary restraining orders against them from possessing firearms.
- The Latest: House passes restraining order change Updated: Apr-28-16 12:00 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on bill barring people with temporary restraining orders from possessing firearms (all times local):
- Federal regulators put brakes on Ohio energy deals Updated: Apr-27-16 11:29 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Two closely watched energy deals in Ohio allowing two utility companies to impose short-term rate increases on electricity customers cannot take effect until federal regulators approve them.
- Marijuana legalization clears hurdle to Maine ballot Updated: Apr-27-16 10:11 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A referendum proposal to legalize marijuana for recreational use in Maine has met the threshold to appear on the November ballot, Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap said Wednesday.
- Alaska weighing rules to allow use of pot at licensed stores Updated: Apr-27-16 9:59 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Some activists have a vision for Alaska's upstart marijuana industry that could have Anchorage looking more like Amsterdam in the years ahead.