- Bill to lower Louisiana's marijuana penalties OK'd by Senate Updated: May-25-15 8:18 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - State senators agreed Monday to lessen Louisiana's penalties for marijuana possession, to remove provisions that allow people to be jailed up to 20 years for repeatedly getting caught with small amounts of pot.
- Standoff between Rauner, Democrats hangs over Legislature Updated: May-25-15 5:41 pm
CHICAGO - A standoff between Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and Democrats who control the Illinois Legislature is threatening to derail action on a long list of issues as lawmakers enter the final days of their spring session.
- Porn actors say proposed safety rules go too far Updated: May-25-15 4:28 pm
LOS ANGELES - A state proposal that would roll out strict safety standards for California pornography productions to prevent the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases has drawn criticism from adult film workers who feel the regulations go too far.
- Kilmartin asks state to regulate marijuana oil manufacturing Updated: May-25-15 3:16 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The state's attorney general is asking the General Assembly to pass a bill prohibiting medical marijuana patients and caregivers from extracting a high-potency oil from marijuana.
- Legal pot use in other states can cause issues in Indiana Updated: May-25-15 12:05 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana residents who smoke marijuana legally in states that allow it could face prosecution or firing once they're home even if they aren't intoxicated.
- North Carolina considers law regulating virtual currencies Updated: May-25-15 11:19 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Legislators in America's second-largest banking center are considering regulations for Bitcoin and other virtual currencies.
- Fight over neighborhood gun pit calms in Rockingham County Updated: May-25-15 11:04 am
STONEVILLE, North Carolina - The fight over whether a homeowner should be allowed to build a pit on his land to fire his guns is quieting down in Rockingham County.
- The latest on the pump-your-own-gas debate in New Jersey Updated: May-25-15 10:43 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - New Jersey lawmakers are reigniting a debate about self-service gas just in time for drivers to fuel up as they return from their Memorial Day weekends.
- 'Ugly' potential fallout from Supreme Court health care case Updated: May-25-15 8:04 am
WASHINGTON - A Supreme Court ruling due in a few weeks could wipe out health insurance for millions of people covered by President Barack Obama's health care law. But it's Republicans - not White House officials - who have been talking about damage control.
- Indiana city considers adding e-cigarettes to smoking ban Updated: May-25-15 4:11 am
GREENWOOD, Indiana - Officials in an Indianapolis suburb are considering a proposal that would ban the use of electronic cigarettes in public places.
- Molokai ferry wants to operate 'as needed' Updated: May-24-15 5:20 pm
WAILUKU, Hawaii - Sea Link of Hawaii withdrew last week its petition to reduce its twice-daily ferry route between Molokai and Maui and intends to submit a new petition to run the ferry only on an "as-needed" basis, according to company President and Senior Capt. Dave Jung.
- Arkansas lawmakers meet for session on defense project Updated: May-24-15 3:46 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A little over a month after wrapping up their regular session, Arkansas lawmakers are returning to the Capitol this week to take up an incentive package aimed at luring a major defense project to the state.
- New Kansas law on concealed guns concerns campuses Updated: May-24-15 1:17 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - Faculty and students have expressed concern about how a law allowing people to carry concealed guns into buildings on Kansas college campuses will affect the classroom.
- Ohio lawmakers want to speed up trauma emergency transport Updated: May-24-15 12:25 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Two Ohio legislators are pushing for changes to how emergency workers deal with trauma victims in hopes to improve patient transportation.
- Public hearing scheduled for Gov. Baker's MBTA overhaul bill Updated: May-24-15 11:43 am
BOSTON - A bill filed by Gov. Charlie Baker to overhaul the beleaguered Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority is the subject of a second public hearing this week.
- NY lawmakers want to regulate motorized bicycles Updated: May-24-15 9:50 am
ALBANY, New York - Two state lawmakers from Queens have introduced bills to regulate motorized bicycles used commercially with safety and insurance requirements.
- What to watch: Crunch time calm; texting while driving bill Updated: May-24-15 9:07 am
AUSTIN, Texas - The closing days of Texas' legislative session usually mean political chaos, with some lawmakers scrambling to finalize pet proposed legislation and others working just as hard to block bills they despise.
- China readies national carbon market to fight climate change Updated: May-24-15 1:41 am
BEIJING - At first, the numbers and company names flashing on a big board in Beijing's financial district suggest a booming market.
- Pipeline that leaked wasn't equipped with auto shut-off Updated: May-23-15 8:49 pm
LOS ANGELES - The pipeline that leaked thousands of gallons of oil on the California coast was the only pipe of its kind in the county not required to have an automatic shut-off valve because of a court fight nearly three decades ago, a county official said.
- Dayton vetoes agriculture-environment and jobs-energy bills Updated: May-23-15 6:19 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Gov, Mark Dayton vetoed two major budget bills ahead of a Saturday night deadline for final action on measures that passed before the end of the legislative session, but he proposed a temporary tax cut in return for a scaled back version of his proposal for universal preschool for all 4-year-olds.
- Nevada Assembly OKs bill to regulate Uber, similar firms Updated: May-23-15 2:32 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - A hard-fought bill to regulate ride-hailing companies such as Uber and Lyft got the green light from Nevada lawmakers in the wee hours of Saturday morning, after weeks of behind-the-scenes negotiations, several public failures for Uber and a marathon workday that ended with legislators apparently confused over which bills they were voting on.
- Clock running out for Missouri transportation funding fix Updated: May-23-15 2:14 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri lawmakers finished their annual session without action on transportation funding, a priority of Republican leaders and Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon. But both sides say they will look to address any potential shortfalls next year.
- Environmental groups monitor new Wyoming fracking rules Updated: May-23-15 2:07 pm
CASPER, Wyoming - As Wyoming challenges new federal fracking rules on public lands, state regulators are quietly implementing a state requirement that petroleum companies justify keeping secret the ingredients in the chemical products they pump underground during hydraulic fracturing.
- NSA winds down once-secret phone-records collection program Updated: May-23-15 2:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The National Security Agency has begun winding down its collection and storage of American phone records after the Senate failed to agree on a path forward to change or extend the once-secret program ahead of its expiration at the end of the month.
- Fido al fresco? NY weighs allowing outdoor dining with dogs Updated: May-23-15 1:55 pm
NEW YORK - Never mind the doggie bag: Spot wants a seat at the outdoor table, or rather under it.