- Kansas bill hearing discusses welfare for lottery winners Updated: Feb-02-16 3:32 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Supporters and opponents have weighed in on a proposed bill that would give the Kansas Department of Children and Families secretary the authority to cross-check lottery winnings against a list of welfare recipients.
- As Europe grapples with migrant influx, benefits limited Updated: Feb-02-16 9:38 am
BERLIN - Germany is mulling taking away benefits from asylum-seekers if they refuse to try to learn the language and integrate; Denmark has just approved a measure to let police seize valuables from migrants to help cover their housing and food costs; and an Austrian province this week is expected to more than halve payments to many refugees.
- Plan requiring drug tests for welfare faces first hearing Updated: Jan-28-16 6:06 am
PIERRE, South Dakota - A measure that would require South Dakota welfare applicants under 65 to pass drug tests before receiving food stamps or cash assistance is set to face its first legislative test.
- Missouri lawmakers consider welfare verification bill Updated: Jan-25-16 9:33 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Missouri House committee is considering a bill that calls for a private company to scrutinize whether welfare recipients are qualified to receive benefits.
- Britain's Cameron fails to get backing on EU welfare reforms Updated: Jan-22-16 11:20 am
PRAGUE - British Prime Minister David Cameron said Friday he was confident that his country would be able to reach a deal with the European Union on his government's demands for EU reforms.
- China, the economy key issues in Taiwan's election Updated: Jan-15-16 5:08 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan's relationship with China is a key topic in this week's presidential election as President Ma Ying-jeou of the China-friendly Nationalist Party prepares to hand over power, possibly to the candidate of the pro-independence Democratic Progressive Party. A look at some of the major issues affecting the election:
- Maine DHHS uncovered $1.2M in welfare benefits theft in 2015 Updated: Jan-14-16 7:20 am
PORTLAND, Maine - A Maine fraud unit has released data regarding welfare benefits theft in 2015.
- Democrats, advocates eye California's booming revenues Updated: Jan-08-16 5:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown's proposed $122.6 billion California budget plan would seem to please Democratic interests by pumping billions of tax dollars generated by the booming state economy into public schools and universities, health care for the poor and public infrastructure.
- Kansas launches new mentoring program for poor, foster kids Updated: Jan-06-16 5:41 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas launched a new program Wednesday to provide interested welfare recipients with volunteer mentors who can teach them life skills, with plans to expand it this summer to foster children nearing adulthood.