- Missouri Senate votes to override veto of welfare limits Updated: May-04-15 7:40 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri senators on Monday voted to override Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon's veto of a bill removing several thousand families from a welfare program in a move Nixon said would make Missouri's limits among the lowest in the nation.
- Former NY gym owner gets 10 years behind bars in drug case Updated: Apr-26-15 1:04 pm
QUEENSBURY, New York - A former New York gym owner has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for selling prescription painkillers and welfare fraud.
- Court: Food stamp recipients entitled to local hearing Updated: Apr-23-15 2:28 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - Food stamp program recipients in Nebraska are entitled to a face-to-face meeting in their local welfare office for hearings that could affect their benefits, the state Supreme Court found Thursday.
- Lawmaker seeks to drop drug testing for welfare recipients Updated: Apr-21-15 1:43 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The lawmaker behind a proposal to drug test certain welfare recipients backed away from the idea Tuesday, instead calling for further study on the issue.
- Many migrants drawn by jobs, welfare in northern Europe Updated: Apr-20-15 3:14 pm
STOCKHOLM - For tens of thousands of migrants who survive the hazardous crossing of the Mediterranean, the journey often continues as they slip through cracks in Italy's border controls and head north.
- Woman touted as welfare reform success works for state Updated: Apr-18-15 2:47 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A woman often cited by Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback's administration as a success story of a former welfare recipient is working as a temporary state employee.
- Maine welfare fraud investigations increase significantly Updated: Apr-18-15 11:37 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - Republican Gov. Paul LePage's administration says the number of welfare fraud investigations and prosecutions have gone up significantly.
- Nepal marks anniversary of deadliest Everest avalanche Updated: Apr-18-15 11:11 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Nepal on Saturday marked the anniversary of Mount Everest's deadliest avalanche with a memorial and a government announcement that it will set up a welfare fund for mountaineering and trekking workers in the Himalayan nation.
- Missouri Senate roll call vote on cutting welfare benefits Updated: Apr-16-15 5:39 pm
The 25-9 roll call by which the Missouri House voted Tuesday to pass legislation limiting the amount of time that people can receive welfare benefits.
- Missouri House roll call vote on cutting welfare benefits Updated: Apr-16-15 5:33 pm
The 111-36 roll call by which the Missouri House voted Thursday to pass legislation limiting the amount of time that people can receive welfare benefits.
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits Updated: Apr-16-15 5:17 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A new Kansas law tells poor families that they can't use cash assistance from the state to attend concerts, get tattoos, see a psychic or buy lingerie. The list of don'ts runs to several dozen items.
- Gov. Brownback signs welfare reform bill Updated: Apr-16-15 12:22 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Gov. Sam Brownback has signed a bill that specifies several dozen items poor families will not be able to buy with their welfare benefits.
- Here's how Kansas law will restrict use of cash assistance Updated: Apr-16-15 1:26 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - A new Kansas law taking effect July 1 will restrict how poor families spend cash assistance from the state.
- Australia to withhold payments from parents against vaccine Updated: Apr-14-15 1:04 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The Australian government has ramped up pressure on parents who oppose vaccination by threatening to withhold child care and other payments from families that fail to immunize their children.
- Kansas agency criticized for post that 'left' mocked state Updated: Apr-13-15 7:55 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Department of Children and Families was criticized by Democrats on Monday for a post on its Facebook page saying "the left" had mocked the state and impeded progress on welfare reform. The agency said the comment was appropriate.