- Drop in applications for US unemployment benefits last week Updated: Oct-08-15 9:42 am
WASHINGTON - Fewer Americans sought unemployment benefits last week, as employers hold onto workers despite a recent slowdown in hiring because of global pressures weighing on the U.S. economy.
- FairPoint unemployment benefit decision is reversed Updated: Oct-02-15 5:28 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The chairwoman of Maine's Unemployment Insurance Commission has reversed a decision to award unemployment benefits to workers who went on strike against FairPoint Communications, drawing an angry response from two unions on Friday.
- Business events scheduled for the coming month Updated: Sep-25-15 12:49 pm
All times are Eastern
- Leslie County qualifies for disaster unemployment benefits Updated: Sep-25-15 4:02 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky officials say Leslie County has been added to the list of those qualified for unemployment assistance as a result of severe weather in July.
- New Hampshire gets nearly $700K in Labor Department grants Updated: Sep-23-15 8:19 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - New Hampshire is receiving nearly $700,000 in federal grants to enhance unemployment insurance programs and reduce the misclassification of employees as independent contractors.
- Nevada unemployment insurance program to go dark for 1 week Updated: Sep-19-15 7:05 am
CARSON CITY, Nevada - State officials say installing a new computer system will force a one-week blackout in Nevada's unemployment insurance program.
- Nixon maintains lawmakers missed chance at unemployment bill Updated: Sep-18-15 12:53 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Gov. Jay Nixon says he's reviewing legal uncertainties surrounding a proposal to enact one of the nation's most restrictive unemployment laws.
- Weekly unemployment insurance claims decrease Updated: Sep-18-15 10:57 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - First-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending Sept. 12 decreased from the previous week's total.
- Missouri lawmakers cut jobless benefits, limit minimum wages Updated: Sep-17-15 12:30 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri's Republican-led Legislature put a conservative stamp on state employment laws Wednesday, voting to cut unemployment benefits to one of the shortest periods nationally while also outlawing local minimum wage increases.
- The Latest: Missouri lawmakers ban local minimum wages Updated: Sep-17-15 12:09 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The latest on the Missouri legislative session occurring Wednesday to consider overriding vetoes made by Gov. Jay Nixon (all times local):
- Missouri lawmakers set to attempt to overturn Nixon's vetoes Updated: Sep-15-15 6:37 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri lawmakers are set to meet Wednesday to potentially overturn more than a dozen vetoes that Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon made to legislation this year, including a contentious right-to-work measure and bill that would cut unemployment benefits.
- Lawyer: State's automated system for jobless benefits faulty Updated: Sep-14-15 3:49 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The state of Michigan is accused of wrongly seizing tax refunds from people based on a faulty system for checking fraudulent claims for unemployment benefits.
- McCrory signs unemployment insurance bill in Gastonia Updated: Sep-10-15 12:22 pm
GASTONIA, North Carolina - Unemployment insurance legislation signed by Gov. Pat McCrory includes likely early relief for businesses paying extra taxes and increased requirements for benefit recipients looking for work.