- Applications for US jobless aid fell sharply last week Updated: Feb-11-16 8:39 am
WASHINGTON - Fewer Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week in a sign of a stable job market despite the slowing global economy hitting stocks and commodities.
- Initial unemployment claims in Louisiana rise Updated: Feb-05-16 6:32 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - First-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending Jan. 30 increased from the previous week's total.
- Audit: State agency paid $97,000 to fictitious companies Updated: Feb-03-16 5:49 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A state audit has revealed that Iowa Workforce Development paid more than $97,000 in unemployment benefits to people in the state who claimed to work for companies that didn't exist in 2013 and 2014.
- Dayton ends his push for special legislative session Updated: Feb-02-16 12:58 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton abruptly dropped his months-long push for a special session Tuesday, conceding that time had basically run out to extend unemployment benefits for out-of-work miners on the Iron Range.
- Engineering firm owner sentenced for unemployment scheme Updated: Jan-20-16 3:44 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The owner of an engineering consulting firm is headed to prison for a scheme in which some employees fraudulently collected unemployment benefits while he paid the remaining portion of their salaries.
- Obama proposes new unemployment insurance plan Updated: Jan-16-16 9:31 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Saturday proposed changes to the U.S. unemployment insurance system that he says would offer more security to the jobless and encourage experienced workers to rejoin the workforce, even if it means taking a pay cut.
- Missouri jobless aid dependent on constitutional challenge Updated: Jan-13-16 3:07 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The duration of jobless benefits for thousands of unemployed workers could turn on how the state Supreme Court interprets a sentence in the Missouri Constitution regarding vetoed bills.