- 5 years of bailouts: the grim legacy of Greece's crisis Updated: May-05-15 12:46 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The sculpture shows a shabbily-dressed man slipping off what appears to be a graph, an economic index perhaps, that is crumbling under his feet. His mouth is distended in something less than a scream, more than a cry.
- Gov. Baker signs state employee early retirement plan Updated: May-04-15 6:02 pm
BOSTON - Republican Gov. Charlie Baker on Monday signed into law a bill offering incentives to thousands of state employees to take early retirement, cutting the state's payroll by an estimated $172 million in the next fiscal year.
- In Congress, income inequality fact of life for food servers Updated: May-04-15 3:38 am
WASHINGTON - Income inequality is more than a political sound bite to workers in the Capitol. It's their life.
- Venezuela raises minimum wage 30 pct amid raging inflation Updated: May-01-15 9:07 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - President Nicolas Maduro raised Venezuela's minimum wage Friday for the second time this year to help workers being battered by the world's highest inflation.
- In shift, Taser vows to wait to contract with former chiefs Updated: May-01-15 1:04 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Abandoning a practice that has faced criticism, Taser International will no longer hire police chiefs with whom it has business relationships within weeks or months after they leave public service.
- House committee OKs anti-union bill to strip dues deduction Updated: Apr-30-15 8:49 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - An anti-union bill approved by a House committee Thursday sets the stage for a high-profile legislative fight between business and organized labor, even as many lawmakers have said they'd rather focus on the state's $1.6 billion budget shortfall.
- Arkansas panel backs 23 percent pay raise for prosecutors Updated: Apr-30-15 12:31 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - An independent panel on Thursday called for giving Arkansas' full-time prosecutors a 23 percent raise, with officials saying the change was needed to attract the state's best lawyers.
- US wage growth shows signs of strength as hiring picks up Updated: Apr-30-15 9:35 am
WASHINGTON - Paychecks for U.S. workers are rising at a faster pace as strong hiring in the past year has lowered the unemployment rate and increased competition for workers.
- Iraq faces huge challenges dislodging Islamic State in Anbar Updated: Apr-28-15 4:17 am
BAGHDAD - Iraqi forces are on a westward push to retake Anbar, a sprawling Sunni-dominated desert province captured by the Islamic State group in their offensive last year. But as the battles for Tikrit and Ramadi have shown, it will be a hard slog for a much-diminished Iraqi army - especially given Baghdad's reticence to arm Sunni tribesmen and local fears of the Shiite militias backing government forces.
- UGA president looking to increase staff, faculty salaries Updated: Apr-23-15 5:28 pm
ATHENS, Georgia - University of Georgia President Jere Morehead has revealed where a significant portion of a recent tuition hike will be going: into the pockets of UGA's comparatively underpaid faculty and staff.
- Audit says Missouri governor has shifted costs to agencies Updated: Apr-22-15 10:04 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A state audit released Wednesday shows that Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon has continued to use money meant for other agencies to pay for expensive in-state flights and staffing, despite lawmakers' efforts to stop the practice.
- Baton Rouge's transit CEO receives 19 percent raise Updated: Apr-22-15 11:26 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The Capital Area Transit System has granted the parish bus system's leader a 19 percent pay raise, making him one of the Baton Rouge's highest-paid public officials.
- Louisiana unemployment rate improves even as payrolls fall Updated: Apr-21-15 6:19 pm
Louisiana's unemployment rate continued to fall in March, even as employer payrolls fell.
- Former Idaho administration chief still on payroll Updated: Apr-21-15 1:49 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Former Idaho Department of Administration Director Teresa Luna is still working at the state agency at the same salary, even though the governor announced she would resign at the end of the legislative session.
- SKA St. Petersburg beats Kazan to win KHL title Updated: Apr-19-15 12:52 pm
KAZAN, Russia - Ilya Kovalchuk led SKA St. Petersburg to its first Kontinental Hockey League title on Sunday as the team clinched a 4-1 series victory over Ak Bars Kazan.
- World finance leaders see threats ahead for global economy Updated: Apr-19-15 5:05 am
WASHINGTON - The world's financial leaders see a number of threats facing a global economy still on an uneven road to recovery with U.S. and European officials worrying that Greece will default on its debt.
- AP News in Brief at 5:58 p.m. EDT Updated: Apr-18-15 6:03 pm
Islamic State group blamed for Afghan suicide bombing killing 35, a potential major escalation
- New Mexico senator who resigned in ethics probe gets pension Updated: Apr-17-15 2:44 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A state senator who resigned last month amid an ethics probe will get a pension of more than more than $1,300 a month.
- Opelousas mayor seeks $9,000 a year pay increase Updated: Apr-17-15 10:19 am
OPELOUSAS, Louisiana - The Opelousas Board of Aldermen has voted 4-2 to take the first step in boosting Mayor Reggie Tatum's salary by $9,000 a year.
- Q&A: A look at Idaho's endangered child support system Updated: Apr-16-15 6:03 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho officials are scrambling to figure out the impact to children, families and budgets in the wake of a decision by conservative lawmakers to kill a bill that would have kept the state compliant with federal child support enforcement rules.
- IG: Jefferson Parish paying too much OT to exempt employees Updated: Apr-16-15 11:29 am
GRETNA, Louisiana - An audit finds Jefferson Parish paid as much as $1.5 million in a variety of unnecessary overtime expenses in 2013
- Mayor seeks $51,000 raise after cutting predecessor's salary Updated: Apr-16-15 8:58 am
RAHWAY, New Jersey - The new mayor of one New Jersey city wants to boost his salary to $72,000 after cutting his predecessor's to $21,000 when he served on the City Council.
- Bentley's 2014 tax returns: Gov. still not receiving salary Updated: Apr-15-15 10:14 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley's 2014 tax returns show he and his wife reported an income of $217,032 for 2014, but that he is still not accepting a paycheck for being governor.
- Panel reviews bill to alter pension fund, tackle liability Updated: Apr-15-15 6:37 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - A Republican-backed bill that would significantly change the Nevada Public Employees' Retirement System got a closer review Wednesday from a legislative money committee, as rooms nearly full of opponents looked on.
- NYC Mayor de Blasio releases tax returns Updated: Apr-15-15 2:13 pm
NEW YORK - New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is releasing his 2014 tax returns.