- After comments, Regulators must decide rooftop solar rules Updated: Oct-06-15 8:47 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Supporters of proposed Mississippi rules to ease installation of rooftop solar panels portrayed them Tuesday as a boon that will benefit all utility customers, while utilities expressed varying degrees of concern about the possibility of shifting costs to poorer customers.
- Gov. Jerry Brown signs bill restricting paparazzi drones Updated: Oct-06-15 8:13 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The latest on legislation signed by California Gov. Jerry Brown (all times local):
- Utility challenged over charges after coal plant outage Updated: Oct-06-15 3:12 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - NorthWestern Energy wrongly charged customers at least $8.5 million after a 2013 power plant outage forced it to buy electricity on the open market, attorneys for Montana consumers and environmental groups argued Tuesday before state regulators.
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt traps parents and kids Updated: Oct-05-15 2:33 pm
WASHINGTON - A college degree practically stamped Andres Aguirre's ticket to the middle class. Yet at age 40, he's still paying the price of admission.
- Michigan looks to create tax-free accounts for disabled Updated: Oct-01-15 3:46 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The Michigan Legislature is voting to let residents with disabilities open tax-free savings accounts to pay for long-term needs such as education and housing.
- 40 percent of millennials pay for print, online news Updated: Sep-30-15 9:07 am
NEW YORK - In a world flush with free information, some young people are still willing to shell out for news they read.
- Target to match online prices with online rivals Updated: Sep-30-15 12:06 am
NEW YORK - Starting Thursday, Target will now match its online prices with more than two dozen online competitors including Amazon.com and Walmart.com.
- Group wants next governor to raise gas tax, expand Medicaid Updated: Sep-28-15 8:34 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A group of businessmen and executives - including many supporters of Gov. Bobby Jindal - are calling on the next governor to expand Medicaid, raise the gasoline tax and tweak TOPS, Louisiana's popular tuition-paying program.
- After years of low rates, customers can expect to pay more Updated: Sep-26-15 10:31 am
With all the questions surrounding the nation's water supplies and systems, one thing seems certain: Customers will be paying more to keep their taps flowing.
- Treasurer giving away 20 stocked college savings accounts Updated: Sep-25-15 6:13 am
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The Nevada State Treasurer's Office is giving away college savings accounts stocked with more than $500 apiece.
- Clinton aims to tackle out-of-pocket health care costs Updated: Sep-23-15 6:29 pm
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton proposed a series of steps on Wednesday to lessen the burden of out-of-pocket medical bills for Americans covered by President Barack Obama's health care law.
- College savings: 5 things to consider about 529 plans Updated: Sep-23-15 12:39 pm
Saving to cover the ever-rising costs of a university education can be daunting, but one way parents can potentially bridge that gap is by investing through a 529 college savings plan.
- Washington health insurance premiums to be paid directly Updated: Sep-22-15 10:37 pm
SEATTLE - People buying health insurance through the Washington exchange will begin paying their insurance premiums directly to insurance companies instead of the exchange as of Wednesday evening.
- Alaska Airlines is fueled by boom in isle tourism Updated: Sep-22-15 7:15 pm
HONOLULU - Alaska Airlines saw an opportunity in the Hawaii market nearly eight years ago that was too good to pass up.
- Some Minnesota marijuana patients opting to buy illegally Updated: Sep-20-15 11:32 am
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Just two months after Minnesota launched its medical marijuana program, some patients turned off by high costs say they are back to buying the drug illegally because it's the only way they can afford it.
- Duke Energy to foot $85M more in coal-gas plant's costs Updated: Sep-18-15 5:37 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Duke Energy has agreed to foot another $85 million in costs associated with its problem-plagued Indiana coal-gasification plant under a settlement with the state's utility consumer counselor and large industrial customers.
- Comcast agrees to pay $33M in California privacy breach Updated: Sep-17-15 9:13 pm
LOS ANGELES - Cable operator Comcast has settled with California authorities and agreed to pay $33 million for accidentally publishing the names, phone numbers and addresses of about 75,000 people who paid to keep the information private.
- ND refuses endorsement of Xcel Energy's solar projects Updated: Sep-16-15 7:17 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota utility regulators on Wednesday renewed their opposition to having the state's ratepayers subsidize solar-generated electricity projects in Minnesota to satisfy that state's mandate to get some power from the sun.
- Mural dresses up Anadarko, pays tribute to tribes, people Updated: Sep-13-15 1:37 pm
ANADARKO, Oklahoma - An Anadarko building is getting a facelift thanks to the talents and hard work of a local American Indian artist.
- School but no students: Private education at crossroads Updated: Sep-11-15 6:15 am
RENO, Nevada - Heather Cameron shows up to work every day and sits in a silent school, alone, hopeful today will be different than the last.
- UN official says women in Asia paid 30 percent less than men Updated: Sep-08-15 9:03 am
MANILA, Philippines - A U.N. agency is mounting a worldwide campaign for equal pay for women, who get 24 percent less than men on global average and around 30 percent less for those in Asia.