- The Latest: Kansas lawmakers near agreement on budget fix Updated: Apr-29-16 10:50 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on the Kansas Legislature (all times local):
- Casinos call for vote on Atlantic City aid, takeover bills Updated: Apr-29-16 1:09 pm
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey - Atlantic City's casinos, saying they are "on the edge of the abyss," want an immediate vote on bills in the state Legislature that would help the casinos and let the state take over the city's finances.
- New Jersey taxpayers could get charity deductions under bill Updated: Apr-28-16 1:37 pm
MOUNT LAUREL, New Jersey - New Jersey residents could make deductions for charitable donations on their state income tax returns under legislation getting new attention.
- Christie looking into property tax revaluations in 5 towns Updated: Apr-28-16 12:31 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - The Christie administration says five New Jersey towns have not revaluated property tax assessments in more than 25 years and is ordering an investigation.
- Former Gov. Beshear releases 2015 income tax returns Updated: Apr-27-16 3:07 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Former Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear has released tax returns from his final year in office.
- H&R Block shares tumble on lousy tax season Updated: Apr-27-16 2:48 pm
NEW YORK - It was not a very good tax season for H&R Block.
- Lake Como inks deal to use neighboring town's police Updated: Apr-27-16 12:51 pm
LAKE COMO, New Jersey - A small New Jersey town has signed a deal to save taxpayers millions by disbanding its 10-member police department and use officers from a neighboring town.
- Lawmakers concerned with angel fund tax credit transparency Updated: Apr-26-16 7:36 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota lawmakers serving on the interim Political Subdivisions Taxation Committee said Tuesday they're concerned about a lack of transparency related to angel fund tax credits.
- Lawmakers OK tax rebates to benefit 'Field of Dreams' site Updated: Apr-25-16 7:09 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa lawmakers have passed legislation to offer tax rebates that could benefit construction of a sports complex at the "Field of Dreams" movie site.
- New Jersey man admits producing fake driver's licenses Updated: Apr-25-16 5:34 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A New Jersey man has pleaded guilty to producing fake driver's licenses and filing bogus tax returns using stolen identity information.
- Raimondo discloses tax returns for 1st year as governor Updated: Apr-22-16 4:27 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo has released her income tax returns, showing her family made $530,325 during her first year as governor.
- Ricketts will turn to lawmakers to help shape tax plans Updated: Apr-21-16 6:25 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts said Thursday that cutting taxes will remain a top priority for the rest of his time in office, but that he will listen closely to lawmakers when it comes to specific plans.
- The Latest: Kansas governor, top Democrat spar over taxes Updated: Apr-20-16 7:42 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on Kansas' new fiscal forecast (all times local):
- The Latest: Beshear calls Bevin inquiry 'pathetic spectacle' Updated: Apr-19-16 2:45 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Latest on Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin's investigation into his Democratic predecessor (all times local):
- Editorial Roundup: Recent editorials in Arkansas newspapers Updated: Apr-19-16 10:06 am
Here are excerpts from recent editorials in Arkansas newspapers:
- In Kansas, lawmakers lose patience with governor's tax cuts Updated: Apr-19-16 6:57 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - After he became Kansas governor in 2011, Sam Brownback slashed personal income taxes on the promise that the deep cuts would trigger a furious wave of hiring and expansion by businesses.
- Gianforte releases tax proposal with maximum 6 percent rate Updated: Apr-18-16 11:12 pm
CLANCY, Montana - Montana Republican gubernatorial candidate Greg Gianforte is proposing a simplified tax code, phasing out a business equipment tax over four years, freezing state spending and setting the maximum tax rate to 6 percent.
- Bentley releases income tax returns Updated: Apr-18-16 5:28 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley on Monday released his 2015 income tax returns, the first since losing a significant portion of his assets in his divorce from former first lady Dianne Bentley.
- Tax lawyer annoyed by paying taxes denied law license return Updated: Apr-18-16 4:00 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - A suburban Philadelphia lawyer with a master's degree in taxation who told Pennsylvania ethics investigators he found paying taxes to be "annoying" isn't getting back his law license.
- Pacifists balk at part of taxes in silent protest of war Updated: Apr-18-16 1:46 pm
LANCASTER, Pennsylvania - Every year at tax time, Harold Penner faces a moral dilemma.
- Massachusetts taxpayers have until Tuesday to file Updated: Apr-17-16 3:18 pm
BOSTON - The clock is ticking toward the tax deadline but Massachusetts residents have more days than most of the country to get those returns in.
- Editorials from around New England Updated: Apr-16-16 12:14 pm
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from New England newspapers:
- Sales tax rebate granted for shopping mall expansion Updated: Apr-16-16 11:23 am
RIDGELAND, Mississippi - A project to expand a shopping mall in Ridgeland has been granted a four-year extension of a sales tax rebate by the Mississippi Development Authority.
- Obama's income fell to $436,000, lowest of his presidency Updated: Apr-15-16 5:59 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's income fell to just over $436,000 in 2015, the lowest of his presidency, and he and first lady Michelle Obama paid nearly $81,500 in taxes, according to tax returns the White House released on Friday.
- NY Gov. Cuomo releases tax returns, reports $196K in income Updated: Apr-15-16 4:03 pm
ALBANY, New York - Gov. Andrew Cuomo has reported earning $196,000 on his federal tax return for tax year 2015, a sharp reduction from the previous year when his memoir boosted his income.