- Twitter purging up to 336 workers as new CEO slashes costs Updated: Oct-13-15 9:43 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Twitter is laying off up to 336 employees, signaling CEO Jack Dorsey's resolve to slash costs while the company struggles to make money.
- Wisconsin sand mining operations to cut jobs Updated: Oct-12-15 8:08 pm
LA CROSSE, Wisconsin - Low oil prices are claiming more Wisconsin sand mining jobs.
- New jobs sought for 71 workers losing jobs in Red Oak Updated: Oct-12-15 7:06 am
SHENANDOAH, Iowa - New jobs are being sought for 71 workers who will be laid off from the Eaton Corp. plant in Shenandoah.
- UNM to cut up to 100 jobs Updated: Oct-11-15 5:00 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - University of New Mexico officials are planning to eliminate up to 100 jobs in response to a decline in enrollment and revenue.
- Group to help displaced workers find work in Peoria area Updated: Oct-09-15 4:08 am
PEORIA, Illinois - Peoria area workers at Caterpillar and other companies who suddenly find themselves out of work will be getting help finding work in the region.
- Big northwestern Pennsylvania employer warns of layoffs Updated: Oct-08-15 4:29 pm
ERIE, Pennsylvania - One of the largest employers in northwestern Pennsylvania says it'll reduce its workforce through retirements and layoffs.
- Monsanto to eliminate 2,600 jobs, posts 4Q loss Updated: Oct-07-15 3:49 pm
WASHINGTON - Monsanto Co. said Wednesday it will eliminate 2,600 jobs as part of a cost-saving plan designed to deal with falling sales of its biotech seeds and herbicides, which pushed its quarterly losses deeper into the red.
- Drury to cut 12 jobs because of lower enrollment Updated: Oct-07-15 11:56 am
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - Drury University has announced plans to cut a dozen jobs amid lower student enrollments.
- Baker schools superintendent announces more layoffs Updated: Oct-07-15 10:51 am
BAKER, Louisiana - Nine more teachers and staff have been laid off from the Baker School System, according to Superintendent Herman Brister Sr..
- Alpha to idle 2 southern West Virginia mines, lay off 92 Updated: Oct-07-15 7:45 am
BECKLEY, West Virginia - Alpha Natural Resources plans to idle two coal mines in southern West Virginia and lay off 92 workers at the end of November.
- Business closing in Bloomington months after big layoff Updated: Oct-06-15 3:34 pm
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - An aftermarket electronics repair company that laid off 320 workers from its Bloomington operations in February now plans to shut down those facilities.
- Patriot Coal expects to lay off more than 2,000 workers Updated: Oct-06-15 2:37 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Patriot Coal says it expects the sale of its assets to result in the layoffs of more than 2,000 workers at its West Virginia operations.
- Patriot Coal expects to lay off more than 2,000 workers Updated: Oct-06-15 11:50 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Patriot Coal says it expects to lay off more than 2,000 workers in West Virginia.
- Rhode Island Blood Center to lay off 10 percent of staff Updated: Oct-05-15 4:48 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Blood Center is cutting about 10 percent of its staff and eliminating smaller blood drives to offset the costs of screening for an emerging tickborne disease.
- Barge maker to close facility, resulting in 336 layoffs Updated: Oct-05-15 2:28 pm
MADISONVILLE, Louisiana - A barge manufacturer says it will close a facility on the Tchefuncte River and lay off 336 workers.
- Delta Air Lines to cut undisclosed number of support jobs Updated: Oct-05-15 1:23 pm
ATLANTA - Delta Air Lines Inc. plans to cut an undisclosed number of management and salaried jobs to boost productivity in the face of sluggish revenue growth.
- Plymouth cheese plant to close, eliminating 300 jobs Updated: Oct-03-15 2:46 pm
PLYMOUTH, Wisconsin - Dairy Farmers of America has announced plans to close a cheese plant in Plymouth, eliminating 300 jobs.
- Weakness and strength: 7 snapshots of the US job market Updated: Oct-03-15 10:06 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. job market no longer looks quite so robust.
- Illinois tax break deals yield uncertain results for state Updated: Oct-02-15 5:19 pm
CHICAGO - A newspaper analysis shows that companies who receive tax breaks through Illinois' primary job-creation program often don't add jobs and sometimes even lay off workers.
- Wal-Mart HQ cuts with 'need to become a more agile company' Updated: Oct-02-15 4:11 pm
NEW YORK - Wal-Mart laid off 450 workers at its headquarters Friday as the world's largest retailer attempts to become more nimble so that it can better compete with the likes of Amazon.com.
- ConAgra cuts 1,500 jobs; moving HQ from Omaha to Chicago Updated: Oct-01-15 5:32 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - ConAgra Foods will eliminate 1,500 jobs - which represents 30 percent of its office-based workforce - and move its headquarters to Chicago from Omaha, Nebraska, with the goal of creating a more-efficient packaged food company.
- Joy Global cutting 85 workers in northwestern Pennsylvania Updated: Oct-01-15 10:43 am
FRANKLIN, Pennsylvania - A northwestern Pennsylvania company that manufactures mining machinery is laying off 85 workers beginning Nov. 20.
- Caterpillar announces 230 layoffs at factory in East Peoria Updated: Oct-01-15 9:47 am
EAST PEORIA, Illinois - Caterpillar Inc. says it is indefinitely laying off 230 workers at its plant in East Peoria.
- Spain's Repsol energy firm plans 1,500 job cuts over 3 years Updated: Oct-01-15 6:49 am
MADRID - Spanish energy company Repsol plans to eliminate 6 percent of its workforce by 2020, meaning about 1,500 job cuts for the company's roster of 25,000 employees.
- Governor closing museums, shooting range in budget standoff Updated: Sep-30-15 9:13 pm
CHICAGO - Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner on Wednesday closed state museums and a sport-shooting complex because of Illinois' budget crisis, even though most staff will still report to work and the museum's board chairman says the savings will amount to "peanuts."