- After big loss, Credit Suisse CEO asks board: Cut my bonus Updated: Feb-08-16 6:21 am
GENEVA - The new CEO of Credit Suisse has proposed that its board make a "significant" cut in his bonus after the Swiss bank posted disappointing earnings last week and announced 4,000 job cuts.
- To cut nearly Updated: Feb-08-16 4:15 am
ST. LOUIS - The owner of two southern Illinois coal mines says it's cutting more than 200 jobs at those locations as well as additional positions at a Kentucky mine.
- Correction: Genworth-Layoffs story Updated: Feb-07-16 5:48 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - In a story Feb. 6 about layoffs at Genworth Financial Inc., The Associated Press reported erroneous numbers and misidentified a company spokesman. The total number of layoffs is 330, not approximately 400, with 70 of those in Richmond and 200 in Lynchburg - not between 75 and 100 in Richmond and 39 in Lynchburg. The figures came from spokeswoman Julie Westerman, not Al Orendorff.
- Volvo scales back layoffs at southwest Virginia truck plant Updated: Feb-07-16 2:03 pm
DUBLIN, Virginia - Volvo Trucks says it will lay off fewer workers at its Pulaski County plant than previously announced.
- Chevron may cut 385 Louisiana workers Updated: Feb-06-16 12:15 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - American oil giant Chevron has reaffirmed forecasts that it may cut as many as 385 jobs in the Gulf of Mexico this year - 45 of them working offshore and the remainder in offices in Covington and Lafayette.
- Up to 37 jobs lost, for now, at Alcoa in Lake Charles Updated: Feb-05-16 5:30 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Alcoa has told the state it is laying off up to 37 employees at a plant in Lake Charles.
- Hattiesburg Public School District to cut jobs, salaries Updated: Feb-05-16 10:41 am
HATTIESBURG, Mississippi - Hattiesburg Public School District employees have been notified of pending job and salary cuts.
- 250 jobs being cut in Shenandoah, Eaton officials say Updated: Feb-05-16 7:10 am
SHENANDOAH, Iowa - Company officials say 250 hourly and salaried positions will be eliminated at the Eaton Vehicle Group plant in the southwestern Iowa city of Shenandoah.
- Rally to push for budget planned at Eastern Illinois Updated: Feb-04-16 4:42 pm
CHARLESTON, Illinois - Faculty and others plan to rally at Eastern Illinois University as the school prepares to lay off about 200 employees as part of a plan to get through the state's budget stalemate.
- Chicago State declares financial emergency, eyes job cuts Updated: Feb-04-16 1:48 pm
CHICAGO - Chicago State University trustees have declared a financial emergency at the troubled school that could make it easier to lay off employees.
- Capital One lays off more than 100 workers in Wilmington Updated: Feb-04-16 9:45 am
WILMINGTON, Delaware - Capital One is laying off more than 100 workers as it eliminates its mortgage operations in Wilmington.
- Credit Suisse announces 4,000 job cuts amid big Q4 loss Updated: Feb-04-16 3:01 am
GENEVA - Credit Suisse is cutting roughly 4,000 jobs to reduce costs after announcing a massive pre-tax loss in the fourth quarter that includes "substantial charges which are not reflective of our underlying business performance," the bank said Thursday.
- Regional carrier Republic Airways plans to end DIA services Updated: Feb-04-16 1:24 am
DENVER - Republic Airways Holdings has warned the state of its plans to lay off 158 workers and close down its operations at Denver International Airport.
- Coal-focused West Virginia county may cut 77 schools jobs Updated: Feb-03-16 5:57 pm
MADISON, West Virginia - The schools superintendent in coal-focused Boone County has proposed cutting about 77 positions due to falling tax revenue and declining enrollment.
- Wayne Farms plant in Laurel, Miss, to lay off 500 Updated: Feb-03-16 5:38 pm
LAUREL, Mississippi - A Georgia-based poultry company says its Laurel, Mississippi, plant will close its deboning lines and lay off about 500 workers by the end of June.
- Fort Sill to trim civilian jobs, some military positions Updated: Feb-03-16 4:51 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The U.S. Army artillery post in southwest Oklahoma is expected to trim civilian jobs and some military positions but still have a net gain of more than 400 active-duty military personnel by the end of next year.
- The Latest: Unions warn against possible cuts to state jobs Updated: Feb-03-16 3:28 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on the opening day of the Connecticut General Assembly (all times local):
- Oklahoma City-based SandRidge Energy announces layoffs Updated: Feb-03-16 1:44 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma City-based SandRidge Energy Inc. is laying off more employees as oil prices continue to fall.
- Illinois universities plan more cuts among budget impasse Updated: Feb-03-16 12:40 pm
URBANA, Illinois - The lack of a state budget is continuing to affect state universities in Illinois, with some schools planning additional cuts to staff or classes.
- Ford looks to shed hundreds of managers in Europe Updated: Feb-03-16 9:36 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Ford Motor Co. is looking to cut hundreds of managerial jobs in Europe and phase out less profitable models as it seeks to improve slender profit margins there.
- Yahoo to cut 1,700 workers as CEO tries to save her own job Updated: Feb-02-16 10:20 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Yahoo is laying off about 1,700 employees and shedding some of its excess baggage in a shake-up likely to determine whether CEO Marissa Mayer can save her own job.
- Oil industry cutting jobs, investment to offset lower prices Updated: Feb-02-16 4:59 pm
Oil companies are cutting investment, slashing jobs and selling off pipelines and other assets as crude prices plunge.
- BP reports 91 percent plunge in fourth quarter earnings Updated: Feb-02-16 10:17 am
LONDON - BP's fourth-quarter earnings plunged 91 percent amid sharp declines in oil prices as the British energy company continued to make provision for the Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico and streamline operations.
- Speedy Cash blames slow tax season, regulations for layoffs Updated: Feb-01-16 2:01 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Payday lender Speedy Cash on Monday blamed the coming slow tax refund season as well as regulatory challenges for the almost 50 layoffs at its corporate office and call center in Wichita.
- 500 employees to be laid off as Bremerton call center closes Updated: Jan-29-16 3:12 am
BREMERTON, Washington - About 500 workers will lose their jobs following an announcement that a Bremerton call center is shutting down its operations.