- NE Pa. optical plant to close, lay off 145 workers Updated: Mar-07-14 7:49 am
- Disney laying off 700 from interactive unit Updated: Mar-06-14 2:14 pm
- Texas-based lender eliminating 105 Nebraska jobs Updated: Mar-06-14 1:01 pm
- UMaine Farmington eliminates 18 positions Updated: Mar-05-14 4:21 pm
- Pittsburgh Symphony cuts 17, outsources telesales Updated: Mar-05-14 9:19 am
- Air Force Academy to cut 99 jobs, 10 majors Updated: Mar-04-14 8:52 pm
- Waterloo council cuts public safety jobs Updated: Mar-04-14 11:17 am
- Poor Dart sales prompt 325 Illinois plant layoffs Updated: Mar-04-14 10:41 am
- New London Hospital to cut staff Updated: Feb-28-14 1:37 pm
- Wells Fargo cuts 700 jobs from mortgage unit Updated: Feb-27-14 4:36 pm
- Vt. gov says IBM layoffs a third of last round Updated: Feb-27-14 12:02 pm
- Cox trimming 246 La. call center jobs Updated: Feb-27-14 10:32 am
- Wells Fargo cutting about 80 Des Moines-area jobs Updated: Feb-27-14 6:35 am
- Qantas to cut 5,000 jobs, posts $211 million loss Updated: Feb-26-14 11:49 pm
- Cox to close W. Warwick call center, lay off 234 Updated: Feb-26-14 6:11 pm
- Sony Electronics to cut 400 jobs in San Diego Updated: Feb-26-14 4:33 pm
- Clarification: IBM Jobs-NY story Updated: Feb-25-14 7:56 pm
- JPMorgan to cut 8,000 jobs this year Updated: Feb-25-14 5:18 pm
- MeadWestvaco cutting about 550 jobs worldwide Updated: Feb-25-14 3:45 pm
- Boise health care act call center lays off 1,600 Updated: Feb-25-14 2:34 pm
- Student loan nonprofit loses contract, to cut jobs Updated: Feb-25-14 10:53 am
- Navistar cutting 280 jobs from Ala plant Updated: Feb-21-14 5:37 pm
- Black Hawk helicopter maker to eliminate 600 jobs Updated: Feb-21-14 5:14 pm
- Windstream announces cut of 400 positions Updated: Feb-21-14 2:49 pm
- Marquette announces layoffs to trim costs Updated: Feb-19-14 5:04 pm
SIMPSON, Pennsylvania - An optical firm has announced plans to close a northeastern Pennsylvania plant this fall, laying off all 145 workers.
LOS ANGELES - Disney is laying off 700 people from the interactive unit that makes video games and operates websites, about a quarter of the workforce in the division.
SCOTTSBLUFF, Nebraska - A Texas-based mortgage company has announced it will be eliminating 105 jobs at its Scottsbluff office in western Nebraska.
FARMINGTON, Maine - The University of Maine at Farmington has cut 18 jobs from its budget, which resulted in three layoffs.
PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra has laid off 17 support staff, including 14 phone sales reps who may be able to apply for jobs with a vendor being hired to do telemarketing.
AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colorado - The Air Force Academy says it will cut 99 jobs and eliminate 10 academic majors as the Defense Department reduces overall spending.
WATERLOO, Iowa - Fewer police and firefighters will be on the job in Waterloo under a plan approved by the City Council.
BELVIDERE, Illinois - Poor sales of the new Dodge Dart have pushed Chrysler to temporarily lay off 325 employees at the northern Illinois assembly plant that produces the compact sedans.
NEW LONDON, New Hampshire - Budget problems are prompting New London Hospital to cut staff and benefits and delay construction of a new health center in Newport.
MINNEAPOLIS - Wells Fargo & Co. is cutting 700 jobs from its home lending business as mortgage refinancing slows down.
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin says his office has been notified that there have been layoffs at the IBM plant in Essex Junction.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Cox Communications is centralizing its call center operations, a move that will eliminate 246 jobs in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Lafayette but lead to 150 new positions at its Baton Rouge operations.
DES MOINES, Iowa - About 80 Des Moines-area workers will lose jobs as part of Wells Fargo's latest round of layoffs.
CANBERRA, Australia - Qantas Airways on Thursday said it will cut 5,000 jobs and posted a first-half loss of 235 million Australian dollars ($211 million) amid tougher competition, sending its shares down more than 7 percent.
WEST WARWICK, Rhode Island - Cox Communications is closing a call center in West Warwick and laying off up to 234 workers in Rhode Island as part of a larger consolidation.
SAN DIEGO - Sony Electronics will slash 400 jobs in San Diego this year as part of a restructuring of the Japanese conglomerate that will see 5,000 layoffs worldwide.
ALBANY, New York - In a story Feb. 24, The Associated Press description of Alliance@IBM as the national union of IBM employees should have made clear that it is Communications Workers of America Local 1701, which is seeking collective bargaining rights for IBM workers in the U.S. and has 300 members.
JPMorgan Chase plans to eliminate 8,000 jobs this year as its mortgage business shrinks and the giant bank aims to control costs at its branches.
RICHMOND, Virginia - Packaging company MeadWestvaco Corp. says it is eliminating about 550 jobs as part of a previously announced cost-cutting program.
BOISE, Idaho - A Boise call center that helps people sign up for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act is laying off 1,600 people - nearly its entire workforce - as the federal exchange open-enrollment period ends.
HELENA, Montana - A nonprofit company that services federal student loans plans to cut 10 to 15 jobs in Helena after losing a contract under the recent federal budget deal.
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Navistar International Corp. is eliminating 280 jobs from its Huntsville manufacturing operations as it shifts some engine production work to Illinois.
STRATFORD, Connecticut - The company that manufactures Black Hawk helicopters said Friday it is eliminating 600 jobs, most of them in Connecticut, as it struggles with cuts to U.S. defense spending and a reduction in the demand for the workhorse aircraft used by the military to strike targets and ferry troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Little Rock-based Windstream Corp. is cutting 400 positions, equal to 3 percent of its workforce.
MILWAUKEE - Marquette University is eliminating 25 staff positions in a cost-cutting move, the university's interim president said Wednesday.