- Shell to cut jobs to cope with long period of cheap oil Updated: Jul-30-15 7:01 am
LONDON - Royal Dutch Shell announced deep cuts to jobs and investment on Thursday as the global energy giant prepares for a prolonged period of low oil prices.
- State Labor Department expecting layoffs amid funding cuts Updated: Jul-29-15 7:47 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The state Department of Labor is expecting to issue layoff notices to dozens of its employees as the result of cuts in federal funding.
- Union expects recall soon of all laid off Minntac workers Updated: Jul-24-15 9:34 am
VIRGINIA, Minnesota - The United Steelworkers union says it expects all laid off employees at U.S. Steel's Minntac mine to be recalled in the next two weeks.
- Newport News Shipbuilding likely to cut 1,500 workers Updated: Jul-24-15 5:38 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Newport News Shipbuilding has told employees that it will likely layoff more than 1,500 employees beginning this fall.
- Calfrac Well Services lays off 60 in central Pennsylvania Updated: Jul-23-15 8:28 am
CHESTER HILL, Pennsylvania - A Canadian company that provides natural gas drillers with hydraulic fracturing and other services has laid off 60 workers at its central Pennsylvania operation.
- Qualcomm to cut 15 percent of workforce Updated: Jul-22-15 5:43 pm
Qualcomm says it will cut jobs, update its board and review its business structure as part of an effort to improve its performance.
- BlackBerry cuts jobs as part of turnaround plan Updated: Jul-21-15 3:23 pm
TORONTO - BlackBerry Ltd. announced another round of job cuts Tuesday as it deals with weak smartphone sales and pushes ahead with a restructuring plan.
- Northern Indiana dairy plant with 140 workers being closed Updated: Jul-17-15 10:05 am
ROCHESTER, Indiana - Dean Foods plans to shut down a northern Indiana diary plant this fall in a move that will eliminate nearly 140 jobs.
- Defense contractor Harris to cut 360 jobs in Fort Wayne Updated: Jul-16-15 8:13 am
FORT WAYNE, Indiana - A contractor with the U.S. military says it's getting rid of 360 jobs in its Fort Wayne facility as it moves radio manufacturing to an existing plant in Rochester, New York.
- Health network eliminates 38 management, administrative jobs Updated: Jul-15-15 4:53 pm
MANCHESTER, Connecticut - Eastern Connecticut Health Network has eliminated 48 jobs and reduced the hours of five other employees as it faces what it describes as significant financial challenges.
- Boeing cuts 49 technicians, sheet metal workers in Ridley Updated: Jul-15-15 7:59 am
FOLSOM, Pennsylvania - Boeing Co. has cut 49 more jobs at its plant in Ridley Township, near Philadelphia.
- Consol eliminating 470 jobs citing depressed energy prices Updated: Jul-14-15 4:46 pm
CECIL, Pennsylvania - Consol Energy Inc. is laying off nearly 500 workers from its natural gas and corporate divisions.
- Aberdeen-based printing company lays off 55 employees Updated: Jul-13-15 7:01 pm
ABERDEEN, South Dakota - An Aberdeen-based printing company says it has laid off 55 employees in response to a decrease in customer demand.
- Jobs cut at Get Covered Illinois before 3rd enrollment push Updated: Jul-09-15 5:24 pm
CHICAGO - Gov. Bruce Rauner's administration has eliminated 15 staff positions from Get Covered Illinois, the state's health insurance exchange, three months ahead of the third annual enrollment period under President Barack Obama's health care law.
- Hawaii hospital network to cut 64 jobs Updated: Jul-09-15 2:46 pm
HONOLULU - Hawaii's public hospital system, Hawaii Health Systems Corp., announced it will be cutting dozens of positions from two long-term care facilities and halting new admissions while it tackles funding issues.
- Microsoft cuts 7,800 jobs as phone sales flag Updated: Jul-08-15 7:04 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft is cutting 7,800 jobs and writing off $7.6 billion in connection with its purchase of Nokia's phone business, as the giant software maker tries to narrow its focus and pull back from a series of ill-fated forays onto rival tech companies' turf.
- Point Park University in Pittsburgh lays off 32 employees Updated: Jul-07-15 4:50 pm
PITTSBURGH - Point Park University in Pittsburgh laying off 32 full- and part-time employees as part of restructuring spurred by declining enrollment.
- Madison-based AnchorBank to cut 101 jobs in next 3 months Updated: Jul-02-15 3:55 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Madison-based AnchorBank is cutting 14 percent of its workforce as part of an effort to save money.
- Mental health institutes effectively closed, future unclear Updated: Jul-01-15 1:50 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Two state mental health institutes have been effectively closed, even though an aide says Gov. Terry Branstad is still reviewing whether to approve a legislative compromise to continue funding the facilities.
- Fewer students lead to layoffs at Drexel Updated: Jul-01-15 6:22 am
PHILADELPHIA - Fewer students mean fewer employees at Drexel University.