- Jennie-O lays off 233 workers in Faribault due to bird flu Updated: May-05-15 3:31 pm
FARIBAULT, Minnesota - Jennie-O Turkey Store said Tuesday it will lay off 233 employees at its processing plant in the southern Minnesota city of Faribault because of bird flu outbreaks that have cut its turkey supply.
- 100 salaried jobs cut in Iron Range Updated: May-05-15 7:34 am
HIBBING, Minnesota - The latest round of layoffs on the Iron Range involves salaried positions.
- Dow Chemical to trim about 3 pct of global workforce Updated: May-04-15 12:57 pm
Dow Chemical will cut about 3 percent of its global workforce as it prepares to break off a significant part of its chlorine operations in a deal announced earlier this year with Olin Corp.
- 5 Tufts students go on hunger strike over janitor layoffs Updated: May-03-15 10:07 pm
MEDFORD, Massachusetts - Five students at Tufts University began a hunger strike Sunday over the university's plans to cut about 35 janitorial jobs at the end of May.
- Caterpillar to lay off 150 workers at its Decatur plant Updated: May-01-15 5:04 pm
DECATUR, Illinois - Caterpillar Inc. is laying off 150 full-time production workers at its Decatur plant in response to weak demand for mining equipment.
- Mercedes plans to lay off 259 in New Jersey Updated: May-01-15 6:11 am
MONTVALE, New Jersey - Mercedez-Benz plans to lay off 259 employees as it shifts its U.S. headquarters from New Jersey to Atlanta.
- GM Canada to cut assembly workforce by 1,000 jobs this year Updated: Apr-30-15 12:57 pm
OSHAWA, Ontario - General Motors Canada says it will cut about 1,000 positions from its Oshawa manufacturing operations this year.
- Applications for US unemployment aid plunge to 15-year low Updated: Apr-30-15 9:37 am
WASHINGTON - The number of Americans seeking unemployment aid plummeted to the lowest level in 15 years last week, evidence that employers are laying off few workers despite a sharp slowdown in economic growth.
- Bell Helicopter plans to hire at new plant despite job cuts Updated: Apr-29-15 11:01 am
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana - Bell Helicopter says its decision to trim jobs from its global workforce won't affect plans to hire workers at a $26.3 million plant in Louisiana.
- Settlement reached in 2003 Connecticut layoff lawsuit Updated: Apr-28-15 7:32 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - State employee union leaders and State Attorney George Jepsen said Tuesday they have reached a long-awaited legal settlement, ending a federal court battle over former Gov. John G. Rowland's decision to lay off thousands of workers during a 2003 labor contract dispute.
- Remington Arms calls back laid-off employees in upstate NY Updated: Apr-26-15 10:22 am
ILION, New York - Remington Arms has recalled most workers laid off last August and November at its upstate New York plant.
- Unisys cutting 1,800 jobs amid quarterly loss, stock slide Updated: Apr-24-15 12:19 pm
BLUE BELL, Pennsylvania - Unisys says it'll reduce its global workforce by about 8 percent after reporting a $43.2 million first-quarter loss and seeing its stock price lose a quarter of its value since the beginning of the year.
- Ford to lay off 700 workers due to slow car sales Updated: Apr-23-15 7:31 pm
DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. said Thursday it's laying off 700 workers at a Michigan assembly plant because of slow sales of the small cars and hybrids it makes.
- Nearly 70 Pine Bluff school jobs to be eliminated Updated: Apr-23-15 6:43 am
PINE BLUFF, Arkansas - Officials say nearly 70 employees of the Pine Bluff School District will lose their jobs in an effort to save money following years of financial and enrollment declines.
- Bentley: More than 1,000 state employees could lose jobs Updated: Apr-22-15 8:16 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama faces grim prospects unless it finds more revenue - including deep cuts to the courts, mental health services, benefits to poor children and the jobs of more than 1,000 state workers - Gov. Robert Bentley told lawmakers Tuesday.
- Budget panel votes to eliminate 13 vacant DNR positions Updated: Apr-22-15 6:53 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Thirteen vacant positions dealing with fish and wildlife issues within the state Department of Natural Resources would be eliminated, but fees to hunt and fish would not go up, under a cost-saving move approved by the Legislature's budget committee Wednesday.
- State cutting 6 lottery jobs to save about $400K Updated: Apr-22-15 12:03 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - State officials say about $400,000 will be saved from the elimination of six Arkansas Scholarship Lottery jobs.
- Coventry plant closes after gaming company merger Updated: Apr-22-15 9:23 am
COVENTRY, Rhode Island - A plant that makes lottery ticket vending machines will be closing its doors and plans to lay off up to 44 employees following the merger of two gaming companies.
- Magazine publisher Meredith lays off 100 employees Updated: Apr-21-15 6:14 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The nation's top publisher of magazines and websites for women has announced the layoffs of about 100 employees, one-third of which are in Des Moines.
- Employers cut jobs in 31 US states as growth slows Updated: Apr-21-15 1:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Employers in 31 U.S. states cut jobs last month as weak economic growth weighed on hiring and a slowdown in oil and gas drilling caused big job losses in some states.
- Halliburton says has cut 9,000 jobs in wake of oil's drop Updated: Apr-20-15 5:34 pm
HOUSTON - Halliburton Co. has cut 9,000 jobs - more than 10 percent of its workforce - in about six months and is considering more cost-cutting moves as falling oil prices sap demand for its drilling help.
- International welding firm in Florence: 300 jobs to be cut Updated: Apr-16-15 9:01 am
FLORENCE, South Carolina - A welding and cutting products firm has announced it is closing its Florence plant with a loss of 300 jobs.
- Protracted French radio strike shows challenges of reform Updated: Apr-15-15 8:35 am
PARIS - Unions and the government are nearing agreement on the future of France's national radio company after a 28-day strike that exemplifies the challenges of loosening up labor rules.
- Alton Steel lays off more than 60 workers Updated: Apr-14-15 10:25 am
ALTON, Illinois - Alton Steel Inc. says it has laid off 62 workers because of less demand in steel markets.
- 28 Greenwood School District employees to be laid off Updated: Apr-12-15 11:53 am
GREENWOOD, Mississippi - The Greenwood School District will lay off 25 assistant teachers and three other district employees.