- Comet ISON pronounced dead: Sun is chief suspect Updated: Dec-10-13 6:48 pm
- European probe on course for a landing on a comet Updated: Dec-10-13 2:34 pm
- WVU center gets grant for Green Bank telescope Updated: Dec-10-13 2:34 am
- NASA: Ancient Mars lake may have supported life Updated: Dec-09-13 2:56 pm
- Beckley couple works on to-do list of W.Va. sites Updated: Dec-08-13 2:14 pm
- Private donation set to modernize UW Planetarium Updated: Dec-08-13 11:12 am
- Giant Magellan Telescope cast from Ariz. unveiled Updated: Dec-07-13 1:14 pm
- Ex-CIA chief asks NC lawmakers to protect grid Updated: Dec-03-13 4:34 pm
- AP PHOTOS: Science in silence in Radio Quiet Zone Updated: Dec-02-13 6:28 am
- China launches first moon rover, the 'Jade Rabbit' Updated: Dec-02-13 1:47 am
- Poca grad an engineer on NASA Mars project Updated: Dec-01-13 1:44 pm
- Indian craft leaves Earth's orbit on way to Mars Updated: Dec-01-13 3:50 am
- ISU prof. to present NASA with anti-asteroid plan Updated: Nov-29-13 4:51 pm
- Did Comet ISON survive? Scientists see tiny hope Updated: Nov-29-13 4:00 pm
- Comet dances with sun, death; giving mixed signals Updated: Nov-26-13 5:53 pm
- Alabama scientists use ice to research space Updated: Nov-25-13 8:38 am
- Will icy comet survive close encounter with sun? Updated: Nov-24-13 1:17 pm
- 'Monster' cosmic blast zipped harmlessly by Earth Updated: Nov-21-13 4:14 pm
- NASA launches robotic explorer to Mars Updated: Nov-18-13 5:26 pm
- Women in science still fight biases despite gains Updated: Nov-16-13 12:06 am
- Amateur astronomer watches the skies Updated: Nov-14-13 4:44 pm
- Missouri to buy into Arizona observatory Updated: Nov-11-13 10:50 am
- MU buying into Arizona observatory Updated: Nov-10-13 2:31 pm
WASHINGTON - Comet ISON, once optimistically called the comet of the century, is dead, the victim of a way-too-close brush with the sun. It was barely a year old.
BERLIN - It's been likened to a parachutist trying to land on a mountaintop. Or a person attempting to leap from one speeding car to another.
MORGANTOWN, West Virginia - The West Virginia University Center for Astrophysics is getting a $500,000 grant to build a new detector for the Green Bank Radio Telescope.
LOS ANGELES - NASA's Curiosity rover has uncovered signs of an ancient freshwater lake on Mars, which scientists say could have been a perfect spot for tiny primitive organisms to flourish if they ever existed on the red planet.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - As the New Year approaches, it's not too soon to put together a list of stuff to accomplish and sites to see.
LARAMIE, Wyoming - University of Wyoming Planetarium visitors will soon be able to warp digitally into deep outer space.
TUCSON, Arizona - University of Arizona and the Giant Magellan Telescope Organization officials have lift the lid on the third of seven giant pieces of glass that will ultimately form the world's largest telescope.
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Some academics and a former CIA director are urging North Carolina state lawmakers to require better protection of electricity transmission systems from solar flares and cyber and terrorist attacks.
GREEN BANK, West Virginia - In these parts, a pay phone is a visitor's best option for reaching the rest of the world. A cell phone signal is an hour away by car. Wifi is forbidden. The radio plays nothing but static. And other than the occasional passing pickup truck whose driver offers a wave, it's dead silent.
BEIJING - China launched its first rover mission to the moon Monday, sending a robotic craft named Jade Rabbit to trundle across the lunar landscape, examine its geology and beam images back to Earth.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - David Summers can recall his first encounters with engineering growing up in Southern West Virginia - rebuilding an old MG car with his father, or the Texas Instruments computer he learned to program with as a child in the 1980s.
NEW DELHI - India's Mars orbiter mission left Earth's sphere of influence early Sunday after performing a maneuver to put it on its way to orbit the red planet.
AMES, Iowa - An Iowa State University professor has plans for saving humanity from a devastating collision with an asteroid, and he's hashing out the logistics with the help of NASA.
STOCKHOLM - A comet that gained an earthly following because of its bright tail visible from space was initially declared dead after grazing the sun. Now, there is a sliver of hope that Comet ISON may have survived.
WASHINGTON - Comet ISON is teasing the solar system as it dances with the sun and it's giving astronomers mixed signals.
TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - The work by a team of international scientists including researchers from the University of Alabama to observe signs of subatomic particles from the farthest reaches of the Milky Way and beyond could provide clues about black holes, supernovas and other phenomena.
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida - For months, all eyes in the sky have pointed at the comet that's zooming toward a blisteringly close encounter with the sun.
WASHINGTON - Astronomers call it the monster. It was the biggest and brightest cosmic explosion ever witnessed. Had it been closer, Earth would have been toast.
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida - NASA's newest robotic explorer, Maven, rocketed toward Mars on Monday on a quest to unravel the ancient mystery of the red planet's radical climate change.
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - Caty Pilachowski's interests as a child elevated her focus to the planets and the stars, but there were real-world expectations bringing her back to Earth.
TWIN BRIDGES, Montana - Only in darkness can you see the stars.
COLUMBIA, Missouri - The University of Missouri plans to buy into an observatory in Arizona, with a goal of doing research it currently isn't able to perform, university officials said.
COLUMBIA, Missouri - The University of Missouri is planning to become part of a multi-university consortium that uses a world-class observatory in Arizona.