- 'Spotlight' tops Gotham Independent Film Awards Updated: Dec-01-15 12:29 am
NEW YORK - The investigative journalism procedural "Spotlight" won best feature at the 25th annual Gotham Independent Film Awards, landing the first of what could be a string of awards for Tom McCarthy's acclaimed newsroom drama.
- Peyton Manning to speak at Middle Tenn. sports awards event Updated: Nov-26-15 11:47 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Peyton Manning will be the guest speaker at an inaugural event honoring high school athletes and coaches from Middle Tennessee.
- Grand jury indicts 2 in death of off-duty police officer Updated: Nov-25-15 6:23 pm
BAIRD, Texas - A West Texas grand jury has returned a murder indictment against two suspects in the strangulation death of an off-duty Abilene police officer.
- AP staffers win prestigious Indian journalism awards Updated: Nov-25-15 6:06 am
NEW DELHI - Two Associated Press journalists are among the winners of the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards, India's most prestigious, for work exposing the public health and environmental damage done by the country's asbestos industry and capturing the devastation of last year's floods in the Kashmir region.
- Yale senior Isaac Stanley-Becker wins Rhodes scholarship Updated: Nov-22-15 2:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Yale University senior Isaac Stanley-Becker has been awarded a 2016 Rhodes scholarship to Oxford University, where he'll study economics and social history.
- Austin Kiplinger, journalist and publisher, dies at 97 Updated: Nov-21-15 11:49 am
WASHINGTON - Austin Kiplinger, the longtime chairman and editor-in-chief of a financial publishing company that bore his name, has died, his son said. He was 97.
- In any ensemble, Mark Ruffalo is still standing out Updated: Nov-20-15 2:12 pm
NEW YORK - Is there any better team player in movies than Mark Ruffalo?
- On trail of reporters, film puts 'Spotlight' on journalism Updated: Nov-07-15 9:21 am
NEW YORK - A group of Boston Globe reporters and editors recently gathered in New York to celebrate the premiere of Tom McCarthy's drama about their Pulitzer Prize-winning reporting of the Catholic priest sex abuse scandal. When asked why "Spotlight" - the film named after their investigative team - has earned their respect, they respond in an eager chorus.
- The Latest: Father of shot man says he'll seek justice Updated: Nov-03-15 8:34 pm
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The latest on a grand jury's decision to not indict a white Memphis police officer who fatally shot a 19-year-old black man during a traffic stop (all times local):
- Report: 5 Iranian journalists detained in ongoing crackdown Updated: Nov-03-15 4:20 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A semi-official news agency in Iran is reporting that authorities have detained five local journalists recently amid an ongoing crackdown on expression in the Islamic Republic.
- Review: Riveting 'Spotlight' uncovers church scandal Updated: Nov-02-15 3:08 pm
Mark Ruffalo never walks in "Spotlight." His very slowest is just shy of a flat out jog. It's a minor detail, but it's crucial to appreciating why this studied, smart look at The Boston Globe's Pulitzer Prize-winning investigation into the abuses of the Catholic Church is also utterly exhilarating.
- Matt O'Brien joining AP as state government reporter in RI Updated: Nov-02-15 1:13 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Matt O'Brien, an award-winning journalist with a track record of breaking news and using records to hold big business and public institutions accountable, is joining The Associated Press as state government reporter in Rhode Island.