- Questions and answers about GM recall Updated: Mar-11-14 7:58 pm
- Democrats say SC not meeting education obligation Updated: Mar-11-14 7:57 pm
- La. lawmakers open hearings on $25B state budget Updated: Mar-11-14 7:53 pm
- House votes to put DJJ in charge of special school Updated: Mar-11-14 7:53 pm
- Lawmakers question $10M cost in guard murder case Updated: Mar-11-14 7:49 pm
- Indiana House leader: Tax, preschool deals near Updated: Mar-11-14 7:49 pm
- Business tax incentive plan headed to Senate floor Updated: Mar-11-14 7:31 pm
- State budget plan includes $234 million for raises Updated: Mar-11-14 7:25 pm
- Arizona House rejects bill for 2nd time Updated: Mar-11-14 7:14 pm
- FDA halts production at Delaware cheese plant Updated: Mar-11-14 7:01 pm
- Health insurance sign-ups near 46,000 in Louisiana Updated: Mar-11-14 6:56 pm
- Colorado may rename I-70 Twin Tunnels for vets Updated: Mar-11-14 6:56 pm
- Northeastern Ohio experiences 5th minor earthquake Updated: Mar-11-14 6:52 pm
- 2 key senators agree on Fannie-Freddie overhaul Updated: Mar-11-14 6:50 pm
- AP Source: Justice Department probing GM recall Updated: Mar-11-14 6:45 pm
- Greenbrier could get millions in W.Va. tax breaks Updated: Mar-11-14 6:42 pm
- In reversal, Maine GOP embraces part of health law Updated: Mar-11-14 6:40 pm
- Primary for shot at Durbin poses dilemma for GOP Updated: Mar-11-14 6:33 pm
- List of budget items vetoed by New Mexico governor Updated: Mar-11-14 6:27 pm
- RI lawmakers mull abortion ultrasound rule Updated: Mar-11-14 6:25 pm
- NY Assembly favors property tax 'circuit breaker' Updated: Mar-11-14 6:24 pm
- Gov. Susana Martinez signs $6B state budget Updated: Mar-11-14 6:21 pm
- Clarification: Prevailing Wage story Updated: Mar-11-14 6:21 pm
- Okla. House OKs defined contribution pension bill Updated: Mar-11-14 6:20 pm
- Ross says Miami needs 'world-class' stadium Updated: Mar-11-14 6:11 pm
DETROIT - General Motors' executives and government regulators will soon have to explain to Congress why it took years to recall 1.6 million compact cars with a known defect linked to 13 deaths. And the Justice Department is investigating whether GM broke any laws with its slow response, according to a person briefed on the matter.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Democrats say the budget plan being debated on the House floor is $537 million short of meeting a state funding formula for education.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Lawmakers who began unraveling the details Tuesday of Gov. Bobby Jindal's $25 billion budget proposal learned they have more shortfalls to address this year before they piece together next year's spending plans.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The state Department of Juvenile Justice would take charge of a public residential school for students with behavior problems, under a budget measure approved Tuesday by the South Carolina House.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Lawmakers reviewing the state budget Tuesday were surprised to learn that Louisiana paid more than $10 million for the trials of five men for the murder of a Louisiana State Penitentiary guard.
INDIANAPOLIS - Republican leaders working on a series of last-minute compromises on top-tier issues of tax cuts, preschool and road funding announced Tuesday they were close to final agreements.
BOISE, Idaho - A tax incentive plan aimed at luring business to expand in Idaho is headed to the Senate floor despite some lawmakers' concerns that it could permit cronyism.
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The proposed Kentucky state budget includes $234 million to give raises to more than 136,000 state workers.
PHOENIX - The Arizona House of Representatives has for the second time voted down a bill that would have reduced income taxes to offset new collections from online sales.
WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Administration has halted operations at a Delaware cheese plant after an outbreak of listeria linked to the company's cheese killed one person and sickened seven others.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Nearly 46,000 Louisiana residents signed up for private insurance coverage through the federally-run marketplace by last month's end, a steadily-growing enrollment rate that still falls short of an Obama administration target.
DENVER - The Twin Tunnels on Interstate-70 near Idaho Springs could be getting a new name. A legislative committee voted Tuesday to rename them the "Veterans Memorial Tunnels."
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - A fifth minor earthquake has been recorded in an area of northeastern Ohio where state regulators have ordered a gas drilling company to halt operations.
WASHINGTON - A plan to phase out government-controlled mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and instead use mainly private insurers to backstop home loans has advanced in Congress.
DETROIT - General Motors faced more pressure over its handling of a deadly defect in certain compact cars Tuesday as word leaked of a criminal investigation and two congressional committees opened probes into the matter.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The Greenbrier resort and its billionaire owner struck a deal late this legislative session worth up to $25 million in tax breaks over 10 years for a new medical institute.
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine Republicans who are fiercely fighting an effort to expand government-subsidized health care coverage to roughly 70,000 residents have come up with an alternative: government-subsidized health care.
CHICAGO - One of the biggest dilemmas Illinois Republicans face in next week's primary is choosing a candidate for a daunting effort to unseat Dick Durbin, the U.S. Senate's second most powerful Democrat.
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Here is some of the spending vetoed by Gov. Susana Martinez on Tuesday in a $6 billion budget bill.
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Dozens of supporters and opponents of abortion rights gathered at the Rhode Island Statehouse Tuesday as lawmakers reviewed legislation that would require abortion providers to show a woman an ultrasound of the fetus before performing the procedure.
ALBANY, New York - The leader of the Democrat-controlled state Assembly said Tuesday their budget proposal will include a property tax "circuit breaker" instead of the rebate program sought by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
RIO RANCHO, New Mexico - Gov. Susana Martinez signed a $6 billion state budget on Tuesday, but she eliminated pay raises for judges, district attorneys and appointed government workers.
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - In a story March 6, The Associated Press reported that the state's prevailing wage law requires governments in Kentucky to pay union scale wages on construction projects. The story should have noted that the prevailing wage may not always be based on union wages, as it is established in some localities by holding hearings to determine the prevailing wage being paid to various workers in those areas.
OKLAHOMA CITY - Many new state workers would have 401(k)-style retirement plans rather than traditional public employee pension plans under a measure the Oklahoma House passed on Tuesday.
MIAMI - Dolphins owner Stephen Ross says the team's stadium must be upgraded if South Florida is to host another Super Bowl, spurring his decision to pay for up to $400 million in renovations himself.