- 27K UPMC worker hit by data breach, 788 by fraud Updated: Apr-18-14 8:40 am
- Chinese trade group to mediate shoe factory strike Updated: Apr-18-14 7:28 am
- Hammond area voters consider school tax on May 3 Updated: Apr-18-14 7:02 am
- Lawmaker who mistakenly took tax break makes it up Updated: Apr-18-14 6:46 am
- Mo. Senate panel endorses penny transportation tax Updated: Apr-18-14 5:04 am
- Mo. House votes to expand sales tax exemptions Updated: Apr-18-14 5:02 am
- Ag economists help farmers plot insurance coverage Updated: Apr-18-14 4:37 am
- Grant money increases for Michigan specialty crops Updated: Apr-18-14 4:06 am
- Burlington school district facing tax penalties Updated: Apr-18-14 4:05 am
- Late sign-ups improve outlook for Obama health law Updated: Apr-18-14 3:22 am
- Lawmakers approve final attempt to expand Medicaid Updated: Apr-18-14 12:11 am
- DeFazio tours abandoned mine Superfund site Updated: Apr-17-14 11:07 pm
- Gubernatorial candidates clash on economic policy Updated: Apr-17-14 10:35 pm
- California cross-border airport clears key hurdle Updated: Apr-17-14 10:28 pm
- House passes bill calling for study on tax credits Updated: Apr-17-14 10:03 pm
- Abortion doctors' admitting rights reinstated Updated: Apr-17-14 9:58 pm
- Kansas officials boost revenue estimates by $178M Updated: Apr-17-14 9:22 pm
- Couple accused of welfare fraud back in Minnesota Updated: Apr-17-14 9:02 pm
- Nebraska lawmakers adjourn from 2014 session Updated: Apr-17-14 9:01 pm
- Democrat Tom Wolf reports $2.2M in 2012 income Updated: Apr-17-14 8:59 pm
- USC Upstate students protest state funding cuts Updated: Apr-17-14 8:50 pm
- MGM asks Massachusetts to delay fee collection Updated: Apr-17-14 8:13 pm
- Connecticut House OKs $400M in tax credits for UTC Updated: Apr-17-14 7:23 pm
- UPMC wants city to bill subsidiaries for taxes Updated: Apr-17-14 7:07 pm
- Bullock proposes $45 million in oil-patch grants Updated: Apr-17-14 6:55 pm
PITTSBURGH - The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center now says the personal information of 27,000 of its workers might have been put at risk by identity thieves who have apparently used the information of 788 workers to file bogus federal tax returns.
BEIJING - Chinese police hauled away dozens of workers Friday to break up a march on a factory complex targeted by tens of thousands of laborers striking against the world's largest maker of athletic shoes, while a government trade union said it would mediate the labor dispute.
HAMMOND, Louisiana - Hammond-area voters will take another look on May 3 at passing a tax millage to support Hammond schools' magnet and accelerated programs.
DETROIT - A Michigan lawmaker who says she and her husband mistakenly took a property tax break on a rental property they own in suburban Detroit has paid $4,550 to Wayne County and a nonprofit to make up for the error.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Missouri Senate committee has endorsed a 1-cent sales tax increase to fund transportation projects.
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Pizza parlors, doughnut stores and other restaurants could get a tax break under legislation passed by the Missouri House.
STONEVILLE, Mississippi - Mississippi growers at some point this fall will have to make a momentous, one-time decision on how best to insure their livelihood over the next five years.
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan could receive nearly $2 million in federal block grants for specialty crops as a result of the U.S. farm bill.
BURLINGTON, Vermont - The Burlington School District is expecting to be fined for late payment and nonpayment of payroll taxes.
WASHINGTON - A surge of eleventh-hour enrollments has improved the outlook for President Barack Obama's health care law, with more people signing up overall and a much-needed spark of interest among young adults.
AUGUSTA, Maine - As the legislative session wound down on Thursday, Maine's Democratic-controlled Legislature approved a final attempt to expand health care coverage to about 70,000 low-income residents under the Affordable Care Act.
RIDDLE, Oregon - U.S. Rep. Peter DeFazio on Thursday toured an abandoned copper mine in southwestern Oregon that is on the Superfund list of major pollution sites as he prepares to file legislation to overhaul the nation's primary mining law.
TOWSON, Maryland - All three Democratic candidates in the governor's race agree Maryland's economic policies need work, but they disagree sharply about how much.
SAN DIEGO - U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Thursday that it has reached agreement with an investor group to clear the way for construction of the nation's first cross-border airport terminal connecting San Diego and Tijuana, Mexico.
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Alaska House has passed legislation aimed at getting a better handle on how certain tax credit programs are working.
AUSTIN, Texas - A judge has temporarily reinstated admitting privileges to two abortion providers at a Dallas hospital that had stripped the doctors of those rights.
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas officials projected Thursday that the state will collect nearly $178 million more in revenues than previously thought through June 2015, brightening its short-term budget picture.
MINNEAPOLIS - A Minnesota couple accused of collecting welfare while living on a yacht now claim they have no money.
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska lawmakers finished their session on Thursday having passed major legislation to lower taxes, reduce prison crowding and pay for water conservation projects.
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Tom Wolf, a Democratic candidate for governor who took out a multimillion-dollar loan to help finance his campaign, reported nearly $2.2 million in adjusted income in 2012, according to two pages of his 2012 tax return he released Thursday.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Attempts by state legislators to cut university funding over plays and books which they believe promote homosexuality are causing a backlash on South Carolina campuses.
BOSTON - With efforts to repeal Massachusetts' casino law underway, MGM Resorts International has asked state regulators to delay the collection of casino fees from the company even as it prepares to become the state's first licensed casino operator.
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut's House of Representatives on Thursday overwhelmingly approved a deal to grant up to $400 million in tax credits to United Technologies Corp. if UTC makes up to $500 million in upgrades and expansion and hires more workers.
PITTSBURGH - The city should send tax bills to subsidiaries of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center if officials really believe the hospital network shouldn't be a tax-exempt nonprofit, an attorney is arguing.
BILLINGS, Montana - Gov. Steve Bullock proposed a $45 million grant program Thursday to ease strains on water and sewer systems in eastern Montana towns that have struggled to keep pace with the demands of the fast-growing Bakken oil patch.