- FDA brings e-cigarettes under federal authority Updated: May-05-16 10:02 am
WASHINGTON - Hundreds of electronic cigarette brands will have to undergo federal review to stay on the market under new rules that have the potential to upend a multi-billion dollar industry attempting to position itself as an alternative to traditional cigarettes.
- Consumer watchdog proposes ban on some arbitration clauses Updated: May-05-16 9:51 am
NEW YORK - If government regulators get their way, it's going to become a lot easier to sue your bank.
- Markets Right Now: Energy sector leads early gains in stocks Updated: May-05-16 9:43 am
NEW YORK - The Latest on developments in financial markets (all times local):
- Fannie Mae posts $1.1B profit in 1Q; paying $919M dividend Updated: May-05-16 9:35 am
WASHINGTON - Mortgage giant Fannie Mae posted net income of $1.1 billion for the first quarter, down from a year ago as declining interest rates reduced the value of the financial instruments it uses to hedge against rate swings.
- Applications for US jobless aid climb, but still near lows Updated: May-05-16 8:39 am
WASHINGTON - More Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week, but the totals stayed near historic lows in a sign that the recent slowdown in economic growth has yet to spark layoffs.
- Beijing tightens hospital oversight following man's death Updated: May-05-16 8:24 am
BEIJING - China's government health care regulator on Thursday ordered hospitals not to outsource medical services or promote false advertising amid a public outcry over the death of a young man who received expensive but ineffective treatments for a rare form of cancer.
- 3 council members protest against Philly sugary drink tax Updated: May-05-16 8:22 am
PHILADELPHIA - Three city council members have come out against a sugary drink tax that Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney wants to use to fund a universal pre-kindergarten program and other initiatives.
- St. Louis program offers vacant lots to neighbors for $125 Updated: May-05-16 8:16 am
ST. LOUIS - A new program in St. Louis seeks to address the problem of abandoned properties by giving neighbors an opportunity to buy them at a bargain price.
- Global stocks steady as US payrolls report looms Updated: May-05-16 8:08 am
LONDON - Global stocks recovered their poise Thursday following an unconvincing start to the month, as investors became cautious ahead of U.S. jobs data that could go a long way to determining whether the Federal Reserve raises interest rates in June.
- Uganda government bans press coverage of protest movement Updated: May-05-16 7:54 am
KAMPALA, Uganda - Uganda's government is banning media coverage of a protest movement against the disputed re-election of the country's long-time president.
- Gov. Bryant signs airport 'takeover' into law Updated: May-05-16 7:23 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Gov. Phil Bryant has signed into law a bill that gives control of Jackson's two airports to a state-appointed board.
- Residents to weigh in on new Atlantic Coast Pipeline path Updated: May-05-16 6:13 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Residents in three western Virginia counties will have a chance to weigh in a proposed new path of the Atlantic Coast Pipeline.
- Corruption complaint filed against Philippine candidate Updated: May-05-16 6:00 am
MANILA, Philippines - A Philippine senator filed a corruption complaint on Thursday alleging that the front-runner in the country's presidential race, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, hired 11,000 non-existent employees whose salaries cost the government 708 million pesos ($15 million) in 2014.
- Powerball drives up Louisiana lottery's sales in January Updated: May-05-16 4:18 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A record $1.6 billion Powerball jackpot in January significantly boosted Louisiana's lottery ticket sales, giving the state lottery its best sales month ever.
- House bill would curb regulation of e-cigarettes, cigars Updated: May-05-16 3:49 am
WASHINGTON - Vape away.
- Fired up by Sanders, Democrats shift left on health care Updated: May-05-16 3:41 am
WASHINGTON - As the Obama administration is counting down its final year in office, many Democrats are finding less to like about the president's health care law.
- House OK's plan to send frail prisoners to nursing homes Updated: May-05-16 2:46 am
LANSING, Michigan - About 120 frail prisoners a year would be released to live in a nursing home under a plan approved by the Michigan House late Wednesday.
- With budget gap, Saginaw County plans to rent out jail cells Updated: May-05-16 2:40 am
SAGINAW, Michigan - Saginaw County officials plan to rent out jail cells to other jurisdictions in an effort to cover an expected budget shortfall, instead of putting a property tax increase before voters.
- Clock starts for voters to reject new California tobacco age Updated: May-05-16 2:12 am
SACRAMENTO, California - California has become the second state in the nation to raise the legal age to buy tobacco from 18 to 21, starting the clock for opponents to ask voters for a reversal this November.
- Gov. Bentley's prison plan fails on session's final day Updated: May-05-16 1:54 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley's massive prison construction proposal - the centerpiece of the embattled governor's 2016 agenda - failed late Wednesday night in the final minutes of the legislative session.
- Ex-Utah Sen. Bob Bennett, ousted in tea party wave, has died Updated: May-05-16 1:13 am
SALT LAKE CITY - Former U.S. Sen. Bob Bennett, of Utah, who shied away from the spotlight but earned a reputation as someone who knew how to get things done in Washington, has died. He was 82.
- The Latest: Prison bill fails on session's final night Updated: May-05-16 1:08 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Latest on Gov. Robert Bentley's prison construction bill (all times local):
- Connecticut budget battle goes into extra innings Updated: May-05-16 12:42 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Democratic leaders scrapped plans Wednesday evening to push through an 11th-hour budget deal on the final day of the legislative session, acknowledging there was not enough time to pass the bill before a fast-approaching midnight adjournment.
- The Latest: Connecticut lawmakers return May 12 for vote Updated: May-05-16 12:27 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The Latest on the plans by Connecticut lawmakers to pass a last-minute budget deal for the new fiscal year (all times local):
- Budget passed, Legislature rushing to pass bills and adjourn Updated: May-04-16 11:00 pm
PHOENIX - With a state budget passed, the Arizona Legislature on Wednesday began rushing to complete its yearly work by the end of the week, considering dozens of the hundreds of bills that still need votes.