- After rough budget, is Iowa Capitol getting more combative? Updated: Aug-02-15 5:04 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa elected officials pride themselves on working in a politically divided government that still gets things done. But after a combative budget process, capped with several vetoes by Gov. Terry Branstad, some are questioning how well the system is working.
- Prosecutor: Texas AG indicted for felony securities fraud Updated: Aug-01-15 10:01 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - A grand jury has indicted Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton on felony securities fraud charges that accuse the Republican of misleading investors before he took over as the state's top law enforcement officer, a special prosecutor said Saturday.
- US presidential hopeful Martin O'Malley visits Puerto Rico Updated: Aug-01-15 9:16 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley became the first Democratic presidential candidate to make a campaign stop in Puerto Rico this year as part of an effort to woo Latino voters.
- US government may end delays in paying counties for land Updated: Aug-01-15 5:47 pm
VAIL, Colorado - A proposal in Congress could end federal delays in paying counties the money they are owed for public land by extending funding for the Payment in Lieu of Taxes and Secure Rural Schools programs.
- Welch, LujÃ¡n propose nationwide energy standards Updated: Aug-01-15 3:17 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Two members of Congress - Vermont's Peter Welch and New Mexico's Ray LujÃ¡n are proposing nationwide energy standards - one for renewable energy and another for energy efficiency.
- Dems still weighing Iran deal, but happy with Obama outreach Updated: Aug-01-15 2:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Determined to secure support for the Iran nuclear deal, President Barack Obama is making inroads with a tough constituency - his fellow Democrats in Congress.
- Chicago preliminary budget estimate shows huge shortfall Updated: Aug-01-15 1:35 pm
CHICAGO - A preliminary budget released by Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel shows a gaping budget shortfall for 2016 that could grow to $754 million and beyond - a total that is so high that the mayor might be forced to raise property taxes.
- Gas tax increases by 7 cents in Washington state Updated: Aug-01-15 1:34 pm
OLYMPIA, Wash - The price of gas may be going down nationally, but Washington drivers - already paying above the national average - may see even higher prices at the pump following Saturday's 7-cent-per-gallon increase in the state's gas tax.
- Indiana nears agreement on public-private rail partnership Updated: Aug-01-15 1:34 pm
- Iowa sales tax holiday set for next weekend Updated: Aug-01-15 1:19 pm
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa - Iowa's annual sales tax holiday set to coincide with back-to-school shopping also brings Nebraskans looking for bargains across the Missouri River.
- Illinois lawmakers evade pressure to buckle on budget Updated: Aug-01-15 1:13 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois has entered its second month without a state budget, and there's no indication that summer's dog days will present any new opportunities for a breakthrough in the squabbling between Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and the Democrats who control the General Assembly.
- Protesters inhale laughing gas outside UK Parliament Updated: Aug-01-15 12:53 pm
LONDON - Dozens of giggling demonstrators have inhaled laughing gas outside Britain's Parliament to protest government plans to ban it and other "legal highs."
- Kansas vying for $40M federal grant for Wildcat Creek Updated: Aug-01-15 12:53 pm
MANHATTAN, Kansas - Kansas has reached the final phase of a competition for a large federal grant that would be used to ease flooding concerns in the Manhattan area, according to the Kansas Department of Agriculture.
- NH county considering bankruptcy to close budget shortfall Updated: Aug-01-15 12:07 pm
OSSIPEE, New Hampshire - An eastern New Hampshire county is considering bankruptcy to close a budget shortfall of about $2 million.
- Correction: Economic Agency story Updated: Aug-01-15 11:58 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - In a story July 31 about the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation board, The Associated Press reported erroneously that one unsecured loan the board gave out was worth $50,000. The unsecured loan was worth $500,000.
- Social service agencies brace for budget stalemate damage Updated: Aug-01-15 9:44 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - For the third time in a dozen years, counties and nonprofit agencies that make up Pennsylvania's social services safety net are girding to pay the price of partisan deadlock in Harrisburg.
- Baker, Dem leaders ally on Olympics, other issues Updated: Aug-01-15 9:22 am
BOSTON - In some ways they seem a mismatched trio: Gov. Charlie Baker, a Republican from upscale Swampscott; House Speaker Robert DeLeo, a moderate Democrat from working-class Winthrop; and Senate President Stan Rosenberg, the more liberal Democrat from the college town of Amherst.
- Hassan, GOP lawmakers talking, but still no budget deal Updated: Aug-01-15 9:08 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - The state is entering the second month of a budget stalemate and Republican leaders say a compromise could be months away even as discussions continue between GOP lawmakers and Democratic Gov. Maggie Hassan.
- New York lawmakers at odds over proposed Billy Joel highway Updated: Aug-01-15 8:49 am
HICKSVILLE, New York - New York lawmakers are battling over whether to rename part of a Long Island road after Billy Joel.
- Head of failed Japan-based bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox arrested Updated: Aug-01-15 6:28 am
TOKYO - The head of the failed Japan-based bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox was arrested in Tokyo on Saturday on suspicion of inflating his cash account by $1 million, authorities said.
- Clinton releases tax, medical records as emails made public Updated: Aug-01-15 3:21 am
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton and her husband paid close to $44 million in federal taxes since 2007 and she is in "excellent physical condition," two facts that emerged in a flood of disclosures from the campaign of the Democratic presidential candidate.
- Pacific trade ministers fail to reach deal in Hawaii talks Updated: Aug-01-15 1:10 am
LAHAINA, Hawaii - Trade ministers from a dozen Pacific Rim nations failed to reach a deal on a new trade agreement that would cover nearly 40 percent of the global economy, U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said Friday.
- Judge gives lender 60 days to buy former presidential yacht Updated: Jul-31-15 9:52 pm
DOVER, Delaware - Frustrated with years of legal wrangling, a Delaware judge has given a lender 60 days to decide whether to buy the former presidential yacht Sequoia, which lies rotting in a Virginia shipyard.
- Puerto Rico: No money available to make $58M bond payment Updated: Jul-31-15 8:26 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's government said Friday it would not make a $58 million bond payment due on the weekend and warned that the general fund will run out of liquidity by November if no action is taken.
- Hillary, Bill Clinton earn more than $139M between 2007-14 Updated: Jul-31-15 8:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, earned more than $139 million between 2007 and 2014, according to eight years of federal income tax returns released by her campaign on Friday.