- Venezuela congress votes to censure food czar amid shortages Updated: Apr-28-16 6:10 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's opposition-controlled congress has voted to censure the country's food minister amid widespread shortages.
- McCrory seeks extra lottery profits for new initiatives Updated: Apr-28-16 6:09 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Gov. Pat McCrory wants legislators to let him use unanticipated extra profits from the North Carolina lottery in part for several new education initiatives and others that never before benefited directly from the state-run numbers games and scratch-offs.
- Advocates fear chaos after Rauner home health care ruling Updated: Apr-28-16 6:08 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Gaileen Roberts' daughter Jody has cerebral palsy, is quadriplegic and developmentally delayed. But she can live at home because her mother earns a taxpayer-subsidized $13 an hour as her caregiver.
- Massachusetts Senate approves under-21 ban on tobacco sales Updated: Apr-28-16 5:56 pm
BOSTON - The Massachusetts Senate voted overwhelmingly Thursday to raise the minimum age for purchasing cigarettes and other tobacco products across the state, which could make it the second to raise its threshold to 21 years old.
- Marijuana advocate dubbed NJ Weedman arrested again, for pot Updated: Apr-28-16 5:56 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A marijuana advocate dubbed NJ Weedman has been arrested again on marijuana charges after law enforcement raided his restaurant and cannabis temple.
- NCAA scraps ban on satellite camps; recruiting under study Updated: Apr-28-16 5:45 pm
The NCAA Division I Board of Directors scrapped a proposed ban on satellite camps Thursday, rebuffing a request from powerhouse conferences in the South and clearing the way for coaches to hold and work at clinics far from their campuses this summer.
- Attempt to restrict use of welfare benefits stalls Updated: Apr-28-16 5:37 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - An attempt in Arkansas to limit how welfare recipients can spend their benefits has stalled before a legislative panel.
- Feds, NYC-area Port Authority talking potential resolution Updated: Apr-28-16 5:28 pm
- Legislature buckles down on budget work, but long days ahead Updated: Apr-28-16 5:27 pm
PHOENIX - The Arizona Legislature dug into a third day of work on a budget deal negotiated between Republican House and Senate leaders and Gov. Doug Ducey on Thursday without a clear agreement with GOP members in the House who are pushing for more spending on K-12 education.
- Signs appear at Capitol that budget talks will resume Updated: Apr-28-16 5:23 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - There were signs at the state Capitol Thursday that budget negotiations between Democratic lawmakers and Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy will resume, but it remained unclear whether a deal can be reached before the looming May 4 adjournment deadline.
- Senate passes $40M aid bill for flood-devastated farmers Updated: Apr-28-16 5:13 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Senate has approved a bill providing $40 million to South Carolina farmers devastated by last fall's flooding.
- UND eliminating 138 positions to meet budget allotments Updated: Apr-28-16 5:12 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - The University of North Dakota plans to eliminate 138 faculty, staff and administration positions to help meet budget cuts ordered by the governor, the school's interim president told state Board of Higher Education members Thursday.
- Arizona Republicans want funding for Koch-backed schools Updated: Apr-28-16 5:08 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona's Republican leaders have proposed earmarking millions of dollars for programs at the state's public universities that are backed by billionaire Republican donor Charles Koch.
- 8 advance to interviews for Ohio's schools superintendent Updated: Apr-28-16 4:59 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Superintendents, consultants, academics, administrators and former education advisers to governors are among eight contenders chosen Thursday to advance to the interview stage in the search for a new leader for Ohio's public schools.
- Raiders owner to Las Vegas: Build it and we will come Updated: Apr-28-16 4:51 pm
LAS VEGAS - Mark Davis was beaming as he posed with fans behind a black and silver "Las Vegas Raiders" banner. He made a few jokes before delivering a $500 million commitment to a new stadium in the city for his team.
- Stenehjem chides Burgum for using state tax credit program Updated: Apr-28-16 4:46 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Gubernatorial candidate Wayne Stenehjem chided GOP foe Doug Burgum on Thursday for using a North Dakota tax credit program to invest in more than a dozen out-of-state companies.
- Big changes coming to SC bank that loans out money for roads Updated: Apr-28-16 4:38 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Big changes are coming to the agency that helps get loans for massive road projects in South Carolina.
- Bill would reinstate income taxes on some Kansas businesses Updated: Apr-28-16 4:31 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Three Republican senators have proposed a bill that would reinstate income taxes for more than 330,000 Kansas business owners and farmers in a way to help address the state's budget problems.
- Colorado House advances late-session roads, schools spending Updated: Apr-28-16 4:03 pm
DENVER - With less than two weeks to go in the legislative session, Colorado's Democrat-led House finally debated - and advanced - a proposal to boost spending on underfunded roads and schools by removing a multimillion-dollar Medicaid fee from the state's constitutional tax-and-spending strictures on Thursday.
- Blunt donates amount equal to contribution from Hastert PAC Updated: Apr-28-16 4:03 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The campaign committee for Republican U.S. Sen. Roy Blunt has given a Missouri children's group $11,000 - the same amount he had received from the political action committee of a disgraced former House speaker.
- LGBT anti-discrimination employment bill advances in Senate Updated: Apr-28-16 3:48 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Senators advanced a proposal to ban employment discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, moments after an initial vote appeared to stall the measure in committee.
- Application filed for high-level nuclear waste site in Texas Updated: Apr-28-16 3:39 pm
DALLAS - A Dallas-based company has submitted an application to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for a license to construct and operate an interim storage site in West Texas for high-level nuclear waste from around the country.
- US economy struggles at start of election year Updated: Apr-28-16 3:36 pm
WASHINGTON - It was not a great start for the U.S. economy.
- Egypt explorers hunt gold in the desert, following ancients Updated: Apr-28-16 3:32 pm
EASTERN DESERT, Egypt - Off the off-road tracks deep in Egypt's eastern desert, prospectors are ramping up the hunt for the treasure once revered by the Pharaohs as the "skin of the gods" - gold.
- Kansas House OKs bill cracking down on turnpike scofflaws Updated: Apr-28-16 3:29 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas House has signed off on legislation meant to crack down on people who purposely ignore paying tolls on the state's turnpike.