- Suburban school district forms transgender access policy Updated: Feb-13-16 4:30 am
PALATINE, Illinois - A suburban Chicago high school district is considering a district-wide policy that would give transgender students access to school facilities.
- Former transgender inmate settles with prison officials Updated: Feb-12-16 4:40 pm
ATLANTA - The state of Georgia has agreed to pay to settle a lawsuit filed by a former transgender inmate whose case drew the attention of the Justice Department after she complained prison officials didn't provide adequate treatment for her gender identity condition.
- Feds open broad bias probe into Iowa athletics Updated: Feb-12-16 2:51 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The University of Iowa is facing a wide-ranging federal civil rights investigation into allegations that its athletics department does not provide equal opportunities for female athletes, correspondence obtained by The Associated Press shows.
- Indonesia warns messaging apps to drop same-sex emoticons Updated: Feb-12-16 12:14 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Human Rights Watch on Friday urged Indonesian President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo to protect gay and lesbian rights, a day after his government told instant messaging apps to remove stickers featuring same-sex couples in the latest high-profile attempt to discourage visible homosexuality in the socially conservative country.
- Panel OKs bill adding LGBT protections to hate crime law Updated: Feb-11-16 8:42 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A proposal to add protections for gay and transgender people to the Utah's hate crime law cleared its first test Thursday when it was approved on a 5-1 vote by a Senate committee.
- West Virginia House approves religious-exemptions bill Updated: Feb-11-16 6:31 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Amid growing opposition from the business community, West Virginia's Republican-led House of Delegates cleared a bill Thursday that proponents say would ensure freedom of religious expression and opponents say would sanction discrimination.
- Senate panel approves transgender student bathroom bill Updated: Feb-11-16 4:10 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - A bill limiting transgender students' use of bathrooms and locker rooms is headed to the full Senate against the urging of transgender people who testified, some clergy members and advocacy groups.
- Portsmouth School Board approves transgender policy Updated: Feb-11-16 4:10 pm
PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire - The Portsmouth School Board has unanimously approved the school district's first-ever policy regarding transgender and gender non-conforming students.
- Council pushes WV to add LGBT protection to hate crime law Updated: Feb-11-16 3:46 pm
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - Huntington City Council has approved a resolution to urge West Virginia lawmakers to include protection for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals under the state code dealing with hate crimes.
- Bill would require gender-neutral language in Idaho laws Updated: Feb-10-16 7:42 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Two female lawmakers say Idaho laws are not just for men, so they should not be written that way.
- 3 Ohio women awarded $600K in Chipotle discrimination suit Updated: Feb-10-16 3:16 am
CINCINNATI - Three women who filed a federal lawsuit accusing Chipotle Mexican Grill of gender discrimination have been awarded a total of about $600,000 in damages.
- Clark County settles wrongful termination suit for $125,000 Updated: Feb-10-16 2:25 am
VANCOUVER, Washington - Clark County has agreed to pay $125,000 to a former juvenile court employee who filed a wrongful termination complaint alleging gender discrimination and retaliation.
- Indiana's Pence changes running mate before election Updated: Feb-09-16 7:41 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Lt. Gov. Sue Ellspermann said Tuesday she is stepping aside as Gov. Mike Pence's running mate in an unusual move that allows a former state Republican Party chairman to join the ticket with the governor for a tough re-election campaign.
- Florida gay rights bill won't advance after Senate stalemate Updated: Feb-09-16 7:00 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida won't pass legislation this year to extend civil rights protections to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
- LePage withdraws nominee amid spat over transgender rules Updated: Feb-09-16 6:34 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine Gov. Paul Page is temporarily withdrawing his nomination for education commissioner amid a disagreement with lawmakers over issues related to transgender students because he says Democrats plan to reject the choice for reasons unrelated to job abilities.
- House committee OKs civil rights bill without LGBT inclusion Updated: Feb-09-16 3:51 pm
ATLANTA - A Georgia House committee has approved a bill preventing businesses from discriminating based on race, nationality, sex or religion.
- Lawmakers to take up bill recognizing hate crimes Updated: Feb-07-16 12:24 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Forty-five states have hate crime laws, but Indiana isn't one of them.
- Study explores how black men find success in college Updated: Feb-07-16 10:15 am
PHILADELPHIA - James Wanda, a senior at Pennsylvania's Lafayette College and one of two black computer science majors in his class, says at times he has felt pressure to succeed not just for himself, but for his entire race.
- Transgender student asks school system to use preferred name Updated: Feb-07-16 9:01 am
MILLERSVILLE, Maryland - Matthew Nolte's report card is stacked with A's, but he scratched out the name on it - which is not Matthew - until the paper wore away, leaving a rectangular hole.
- NY gov moves to stop gay 'conversion' therapy for minors Updated: Feb-06-16 1:24 pm
NEW YORK - New York is taking steps to stop therapists from trying to change young people's sexual orientation, joining a number of states that have taken action against what's known as "conversion therapy."
- Transgender Texas prison inmates can start hormone therapy Updated: Feb-05-16 3:36 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - A change in Texas prison system policy means transgender inmates who hadn't started hormone therapy before incarceration can do so behind bars if they go through a thorough process to confirm the diagnosis.
- Reno community college votes for mascot gender-neutral Updated: Feb-05-16 11:07 am
RENO, Nevada - Students at Truckee Meadows Community College have voted to declare their mascot gender-neutral.
- Virginia panel OKs transgender school bathroom bill Updated: Feb-05-16 2:16 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - A legislative panel has approved a bill that would require students to use the bathroom that corresponds with their biological sex.
- Gov. LePage stops rules for protecting transgender students Updated: Feb-04-16 6:15 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - Gov. Paul LePage is stopping the Maine Human Rights Commission and the Department of Education from issuing rules protecting transgender students. Schools instead are being given guidelines that lack the force of law.
- New UN stamp supports gay rights Updated: Feb-04-16 5:56 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations Postal Administration on Thursday released six new postage stamps promoting equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.