- Girl Scouts to discuss transgender policy Updated: May-22-15 10:34 am
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - The leader of the Girl Scouts of Kentuckiana says the group will discuss its policy on welcoming transgender children next week following criticism from conservative groups at the national level.
- Appeals court delays transgender California inmate's surgery Updated: May-21-15 9:12 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A federal appeals court delayed sex reassignment surgery for a transgender prison inmate in California on Thursday, hours after a state panel recommended that she be paroled.
- ACLU sues Michigan over transgender driver's licenses Updated: May-21-15 11:51 am
DETROIT - The state of Michigan is being sued over its refusal to change gender identities on driver's licenses without a new birth certificate.
- Transgender teen who won lawsuit receives Maine award Updated: May-21-15 4:05 am
PORTLAND, Maine - A transgender teen whose lawsuit over bathroom access went to the Maine state supreme court is one of several people and organizations honored by the Maine Women's Fund.
- Arrest made in stabbing death of transgender woman Updated: May-20-15 6:01 am
PHILADELPHIA - Police have charged a Philadelphia man with murder in the stabbing death of a transgender woman.
- Female employees file lawsuit against Iowa police chief Updated: May-18-15 5:21 pm
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa - Three women have filed a sex discrimination lawsuit against the West Des Moines police chief, claiming they were fired or overlooked for promotions because of their gender.
- Les femmes (and les blockbusters) are all the talk at Cannes Updated: May-18-15 11:34 am
CANNES, France - This year's Cannes Film Festival is about halfway through, but one thing is already clear: This festival belongs to les femmes.
- CANNES WATCH: Jane Fonda says gender pay gap 'unacceptable' Updated: May-17-15 3:32 pm
CANNES, France - Jane Fonda is starring in a film at Cannes, but she also came to the film festival to pick up an honor.
- NY AG takes on transgender discrimination in health care Updated: May-15-15 2:29 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's attorney general has started a program to ensure transgender individuals have equal access to health care.
- Connecticut gender designation bill awaits Senate action Updated: May-15-15 2:20 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A bill that would make it easier for transgender people in Connecticut to update their names and gender on their birth certificates faces one more legislative hurdle.
- More Indiana cities offer transgender health benefits Updated: May-15-15 7:43 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - An initiative by the city of Bloomington has led to municipal employees in more than 30 Indiana cities and towns gaining access to transgender-inclusive health care benefits.
- Louisiana House backs ban on abortions based on gender Updated: May-14-15 3:57 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana would prohibit abortions based on gender under a bill that won overwhelming, bipartisan passage Thursday from the state House despite questions about whether provisions that allow for lawsuits and damage claims go too far.
- Amid male landscape of 'Mad Max,' Charlize Theron dominates Updated: May-14-15 10:10 am
NEW YORK - The inhospitable desert landscape of "Mad Max: Fury Road" isn't so different from today's Hollywood: Low on water and overrun by men.
- NYC City Council to launch initiative to help young women Updated: May-13-15 8:04 pm
NEW YORK - The New York City Council is set to launch an initiative aimed at fighting chronic inequality faced by young women.
- Arkansas town's vote opens fight over law cast as anti-gay Updated: May-13-15 3:02 pm
EUREKA SPRINGS, Arkansas - A northwest Arkansas town's vote to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity could pave the way for a legal fight over a new state law criticized as anti-gay.
- Directors' guild blames studios, networks for gender bias Updated: May-12-15 10:58 pm
- Some LGBT residents critical of Utah anti-discrimination law Updated: May-12-15 8:43 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Mormon church-backed anti-discrimination law that protects gay and transgender people and religious rights took effect Tuesday amid skepticism from some LGBT residents over whether it lives up to its promises.
- Appeals court revives portion of SC racial bias lawsuit Updated: May-11-15 4:23 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - A federal appeals court says black employees at a South Carolina steel mill can pursue a class-action lawsuit claiming racial discrimination in promotions.
- Blood bank sued for turning away transgender woman Updated: May-11-15 1:16 pm
TACOMA, Washington - CSL Plasma Inc. is facing a lawsuit from a woman who says the for-profit company discriminated against her because she's transgender.
- Castro's daughter sponsors blessing of Cuban gay couples Updated: May-09-15 9:19 pm
HAVANA - The daughter of Cuban President Raul Castro sponsored a blessing ceremony Saturday for gay couples on an island where gay marriage remains illegal.
- Woman behind gender bias suit objects to legal costs Updated: May-08-15 6:50 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A woman and a venture capital firm at the center of a high-profile Silicon Valley gender bias lawsuit are now fighting over legal costs.
- Fairfax Co. schools to ban gender identity discrimination Updated: May-08-15 9:59 am
FAIRFAX, Virginia - The Fairfax County school board has voted to ban discrimination on the basis of gender identity in the school system.
- Joe Kennedy: It's time to strengthen transgender protections Updated: May-07-15 4:22 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Rep. Joe Kennedy is pressing state lawmakers to approve legislation strengthening legal protections for transgender people.
- Feminist group accuses college of failing to act on threats Updated: May-07-15 2:49 pm
FREDERICKSBURG, Virginia - A feminist group on the campus of the University of Mary Washington accuses the school of failing to act on sexual and violent cyberthreats made against its members, according to a complaint filed Thursday.
- Texas gay discrimination bill opens complex father-son split Updated: May-06-15 7:13 pm
HOUSTON - Beau Miller and Patrick Summers have been partners for four years, but last December was the first time they spent Christmas at Miller's parents' home.