- Protests follow Donald Trump to California GOP convention Updated: Apr-29-16 2:52 pm
BURLINGAME, California - Several hundred protesters opposing Donald Trump gathered Friday outside the hotel where he was scheduled to speak to California Republicans, and a large contingent of police sought to head off violence like what followed a rally in Southern California the night before.
- Revised bill would address 'improper' gender identity claims Updated: Apr-29-16 2:25 pm
BOSTON - Lawmakers are weighing revisions to a bill that would expand protections for transgender people in public places, including restrooms, in Massachusetts.
- Horry County Schools changes bathroom policy Updated: Apr-29-16 5:21 am
CONWAY, South Carolina - Horry County Schools has agreed to let a transgender student use the boys' bathroom after he was suspended for using the "wrong" bathroom.
- Lawsuit claims discrimination at the New York Times Updated: Apr-29-16 1:01 am
NEW YORK - Two women who work in the advertising department at The New York Times have filed a federal discrimination lawsuit against the newspaper, its chief executive and chief revenue officer.
- Transgender civil servants in Brazil can use chosen name Updated: Apr-28-16 6:39 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian transgender and transsexual civil servants will now be able to use their chosen names while on the job.
- LGBT anti-discrimination employment bill advances in Senate Updated: Apr-28-16 3:48 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Senators advanced a proposal to ban employment discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, moments after an initial vote appeared to stall the measure in committee.
- Caitlyn Jenner uses women's room at Trump hotel, posts video Updated: Apr-28-16 11:20 am
NEW YORK - Caitlyn Jenner has taken up Donald Trump's offer and used the women's restroom at one of his luxury buildings.
- NCAA board OKs anti-discrimination measure for event bidding Updated: Apr-27-16 10:08 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA Board of Governors adopted an anti-discrimination measure Wednesday that would affect the way the governing body evaluates bids to host sporting events.
- House OKs $38.8B general spending bill with more for roads Updated: Apr-27-16 7:12 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan would spend more on road construction, expanded health coverage for the poor and a criminal investigation into Flint's lead-contaminated water crisis under a $38.8 billion general budget bill approved Wednesday by the House.
- Correction: LGBT Rights-Cancellations story Updated: Apr-27-16 5:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - In a story April 25 about Nick Jonas and Demi Lovato canceling their shows in North Carolina in protest of the state's new law addressing LGBT rights, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Mumford and Sons had also canceled their performance. The band performed in Charlotte and donated a portion of the proceeds from the show to a local LGBT organization.
- Missouri religious objections proposal fails in committee Updated: Apr-27-16 4:19 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - A Missouri religious objections proposal failed to get the approval of a key legislative committee on Wednesday in a setback for conservatives who hoped to add protections for those who cite their faith in denying services such as flowers or cakes for same-sex weddings.
- Alabama city passes transgender bathroom ordinance Updated: Apr-27-16 2:34 pm
OXFORD, Alabama - People in an Alabama city who use public restrooms intended for a gender other than what is listed on their birth certificate will be punished under an ordinance officials passed this week.
- Senate majority leader expects talk about referendum idea Updated: Apr-27-16 12:54 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The majority leader in the North Carolina Senate says the chamber's Republicans will soon discuss the possibility of holding a referendum on a new law addressing bathroom use by transgender people and limits on LGBT anti-discrimination rules.
- Port Angeles seeks new trial after jury award to ex-worker Updated: Apr-27-16 12:20 pm
PORT ANGELES, Washington - The city of Port Angeles is seeking a new trial after a jury awarded $1.5 million in damages to a former finance director in her sex discrimination case against the city.
- Fallout from North Carolina LGBT law worries small business Updated: Apr-27-16 11:22 am
Small businesses in North Carolina are already losing valuable business because of the new state law limiting protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.
- Illinois transgender student wins boys bathroom access Updated: Apr-27-16 11:22 am
WILLIAMSVILLE, Illinois - A transgender student at Williamsville High School in central Illinois who was born female but identifies as male will be able to use the men's bathroom.
- School board blocks transgender kids from choosing restroom Updated: Apr-27-16 11:09 am
OCALA, Florida - A north Florida school board approved a measure on Tuesday that will limit restrooms to students based on their birth sex, not their gender identity.
- New book examines gender's role in press freedom Updated: Apr-27-16 8:22 am
NEW YORK - Sexualized violence, online harassment and gender-based discrimination all play a role in inhibiting press freedom according to a new book released by the Committee to Protect Journalists on Wednesday.
- Hawaii bill bans discrimination against transgender patients Updated: Apr-26-16 8:59 pm
HONOLULU - Insurance companies would not be allowed to discriminate against transgender patients under a bill passed by the Hawaii Legislature.
- North Carolina Dems pan 'keep our state straight' comment Updated: Apr-26-16 6:14 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Rhetorical skirmishes continued Tuesday in North Carolina over a law limiting protections for LGBT people, as Democrats criticized a Republican's plea to "keep our state straight."
- Kansas lawmakers reject audit for same-sex discrimination Updated: Apr-26-16 5:17 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas lawmakers have again refused to audit the Department of Children and Families to determine if the agency discriminates against same-sex couples in adoption or foster care cases.
- The Latest: Bathroom law didn't deter transgender protesters Updated: Apr-26-16 2:31 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The Latest on protests over a law curtailing rights for lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual people (all times local):
- Swedish Greens jolted by claims of Islamist infiltration Updated: Apr-26-16 10:21 am
STOCKHOLM - One refused to shake hands with a female journalist. Another compared Israel to Nazi Germany. A third was seen doing hand signs associated with Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood in the background of a live TV broadcast.
- Yakima to open up resource center for LGBT youths Updated: Apr-26-16 2:46 am
YAKIMA, Washington - Yakima is set to open a resource center meant to serve as a safe place for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youths.
- Diversity language cut from judge application Updated: Apr-25-16 1:19 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah legislative panel that picks state court judges will remove a nod to toward diversity in its judicial application after lawmakers declared gender and race should not influence how judges are selected.