- EXCHANGE: Family takes precautions after son's 2 concussions Updated: Feb-10-16 7:30 am
FORSYTH, Illinois - Tricia Shumaker thought she knew what uncontrollable crying was, she has three kids.
- Barber returns from injuries, cutting at a slower clip Updated: Feb-10-16 5:05 am
TERRE HAUTE, Indiana - Zeliha Caputo was relaxing on Monday, her first day back at work, less than four months after a car accident left her with catastrophic injuries.
- Browns deny lying about Johnny Manziel's concussion Updated: Feb-09-16 4:55 pm
CLEVELAND - The Browns are defending their handling of Johnny Manziel's late-season concussion.
- Gun, drug, car deaths loom large in US longevity gap: Study Updated: Feb-09-16 1:36 pm
CHICAGO - Guns, drugs and cars contribute substantially to the life-expectancy gap between the United States and other developed nations, a study found.
- Welder injured in blast at oil patch facility near Killdeer Updated: Feb-09-16 8:23 am
KILLDEER, North Dakota - An explosion and fire at an oil and gas facility north of Killdeer over the weekend sent one person to the hospital.
- Woman wants charges after girl with injuries from 2010 dies Updated: Feb-09-16 7:06 am
GRANDVILLE, Michigan - A western Michigan woman who adopted a girl with severe brain injuries sustained as an infant wants charges after the 5-year-old girl's death.
- Living with people they bite, Zika mosquitoes hard to fight Updated: Feb-08-16 10:38 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - The mosquitoes that spread the Zika virus are among the hardest species to fight because they live and breed in tub drains, dog bowls, buckets, flower pots and other spots where water collects inside the houses and yards of the people they bite, insect experts noted Monday.
- Rabid raccoon bites Bridgeport resident Updated: Feb-08-16 12:28 pm
BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut - A Bridgeport resident who was bitten by a raccoon that tested positive for rabies is receiving the vaccine to treat the disease.
- Vet's three-year battle with Montana VA ends in victory Updated: Feb-07-16 2:01 pm
GREAT FALLS, Montana - A Missoula veteran has won a victory in his three-year battle with the Veterans Administration over his traumatic brain injury.
- Local researcher continues grandfather's work on Zika virus Updated: Feb-07-16 9:00 am
FREDERICK, Maryland - As the Zika virus rages through South and Central America, probably causing women to give birth to babies with abnormally small heads, few people understand that the virus has its origins in Africa. And even fewer realize that the man who originally discovered the virus 70 years ago, Alexander John Haddow, has a Frederick and a Fort Detrick connection.
- Despite troubles aplenty, NFL and Super Bowl popular as ever Updated: Feb-06-16 1:27 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The headlines hit in a persistent stream this season, and the onslaught only grew steadier as the Super Bowl approached.
- Former LB Bill Romanowski: Most NFL players likely have CTE Updated: Feb-05-16 7:41 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Bill Romanowski sustained 20 documented concussions, and certainly more he doesn't know about, during his 16-year NFL career as a linebacker. He was hardly surprised to learn this week that late Raiders quarterback and Hall of Fame finalist Ken Stabler had been diagnosed with the brain disease CTE.
- Plaintiffs in NHL concussion case now count 105 ex-players Updated: Feb-05-16 2:55 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Long after the end of his NHL career, Steve Payne is living an empty-nest life with his wife and three dogs in western Wisconsin.
- J.J. Watt feels concussions are an expected injury Updated: Feb-05-16 12:30 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt says he knew concussions were a risk when he decided to play football, so he's not any more alarmed by the studies of prolonged head trauma suffered by NFL players.
- SUV strikes parked patrol car; trooper suffers leg injury Updated: Feb-05-16 11:43 am
PALMER, Alaska - An Alaska State Trooper responding to a vehicle in a ditch in Palmer was injured when a sport utility vehicle crashed into his parked patrol car.
- Officials: Rabid pit bull bites 3 people, several dogs Updated: Feb-05-16 4:36 am
ABERDEEN, New Jersey - Authorities say a rabid pit bull bit at least three people and several dogs in central New Jersey.
- NFL critic crashes news conference about concussions Updated: Feb-04-16 9:39 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - An uninvited guest at the NFL's annual pre-Super Bowl news conference about health and safety, Chris Nowinski stood nearby and listened Thursday as one of the league's chief advisers about concussions declined to acknowledge a link between football and the brain disease called CTE.
- Clearwater Paper worker hospitalized for chemical burns Updated: Feb-04-16 11:44 am
LEWISTON, Idaho - An Idaho factory worker has been hospitalized after suffering chemical burns.
- Baker: DCF got full report Friday of 3-year-old boy who died Updated: Feb-03-16 6:33 pm
BOSTON - Gov. Charlie Baker said his administration is cooperating with the investigation into the death of a 3-year-old boy who suffered traumatic injuries at his Boston home last weekend.
- Sexually-transmitted Zika case confirmed in Texas Updated: Feb-03-16 2:33 am
DALLAS - Health officials on Tuesday reported that a person in Texas has become infected with the Zika virus through sex in the first case of the illness being transmitted within the United States amid the current outbreak in Latin America.
- Concussions prompt UTSA QB Bogenschutz to quit football Updated: Feb-02-16 4:10 pm
SAN ANTONIO - Calling it "one of the toughest situations" in his life, UTSA sophomore quarterback Blake Bogenschutz said Tuesday he is giving up football because of lingering concussion-like symptoms.
- Controlling mosquitoes will protect against Zika virus Updated: Feb-02-16 4:05 am
WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana - A Purdue University medical entomologist says taking steps to control mosquitoes and prevent bites can go a long way to protecting public health and curbing transmission of the Zika (ZEE'-kuh) virus.
- King County trauma center to offer care in community clinics Updated: Feb-01-16 9:43 pm
SEATTLE - King County's regional trauma center will be offering health care in community clinics under a new 10-year agreement announced Monday.
- AP survey: Concussions not most NFL players' chief concern Updated: Feb-01-16 11:21 am
During a 15-year NFL career that sent him pinballing over the middle of the field too many times to count, absorbing hits as wicked as they come, former Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Stokley endured injuries that literally ran from head to toe.
- Aikman: experience can be 'overrated' going into Super Bowl Updated: Jan-27-16 7:44 pm
NEW YORK - If Cam Newton has the type of Super Bowl debut Troy Aikman did, the Carolina Panthers will be in good shape for the Super Bowl.