- BlackBerry lays off unspecified number of employees globally Updated: May-23-15 3:28 pm
TORONTO - BlackBerry says it is laying off an unspecified number of employees globally as it makes changes to the operations responsible for making its smartphones.
- Ready for liquor bottles smart enough to talk smart phones? Updated: May-21-15 1:38 pm
The message-in-a-bottle routine is going Wi-Fi. And that means pretty soon you'll have your very own mini Times Square at the bar, right on the bottle.
- Hundreds of smart parking meters in works for downtown Boise Updated: May-20-15 3:50 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Parking officials plan to buy and install about 800 new smart meters in downtown Boise that users can pay with smartphones.
- Court agrees Samsung copied Apple, but tosses some damages Updated: May-18-15 5:13 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A federal appeals court has upheld a jury's finding that Samsung illegally copied some patented features in Apple's iPhone, but it sided with Samsung on one point that could reduce the $930 million in damages the South Korean company had been ordered to pay.
- Prying parents: Phone monitoring apps flourish in S. Korea Updated: May-15-15 4:46 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Lee Chang-june can be miles from his 12-year-old son but still know when he plays a smartphone game. With the press of an app he can see his son's phone activity, disable apps or totally shut down the smartphone.
- Internet group opposes regulation on taxi smartphone apps Updated: May-14-15 10:24 am
NEW YORK - Some of the nation's leading Internet companies are lobbying against a proposed change to New York City taxi policy.
- Evie puts down smartphone in 'Love and Miss Communication' Updated: May-12-15 11:40 am
"Love and Miss Communication" (William Morrow Paperbacks), by Elyssa Friedland
- Connecticut based company says 'smart homes' on the rise Updated: May-09-15 3:06 am
STAMFORD, Connecticut - Phil de Terlizzi likens today's rapid proliferation of smartphone apps to the widespread use of remote controls for TVs and cable boxes that still clutter many coffee tables more than 65 years after the first ones hit the market.
- In Tech: Mobile app, mobile phone, online TV Updated: May-08-15 4:11 am
NEW YORK - The iconic designer behind the simulation video games "Sim City" and "The Sims" wants people to tell stories visually on their mobile phones.
- Using a smartphone microscope to detect parasites in blood Updated: May-06-15 3:14 pm
WASHINGTON - Prick a finger and have the blood checked for parasites - by smartphone? Scientists are turning those ubiquitous phones into microscopes and other medical tools that could help fight diseases in remote parts of the world.
- For most, N. Korean online shopping not just a click away Updated: May-06-15 4:41 am
PYONGYANG, North Korea - Online shopping has arrived in North Korea, though it's as isolated from the rest of the world as the country itself, and the vast majority of North Koreans lack the technology to use it.
- Court: warrantless cellphone tracking not illegal search Updated: May-05-15 1:51 pm
MIAMI - Investigators do not need a search warrant to obtain cellphone tower location records in criminal prosecutions, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday in a closely-watched case involving the rules for changing technology.
- Googling on mobile devices surpasses PCs in US for 1st time Updated: May-05-15 1:13 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Google's influential search engine has hit a tipping point in technology's shift to smartphones. More search requests are now being made on mobile devices than on personal computers in the U.S. and many other parts of the world.
- Inked and irked: Apple Watch users report tattoo problems Updated: May-01-15 8:10 pm
NEW YORK - It's an annoying problem for the unlucky few: the Apple Watch's heart rate monitor and even some other features might not work if you have a tattoo on your wrist.
- Smartphone app aims to preserve videos of police encounters Updated: Apr-30-15 5:49 pm
LOS ANGELES - A new smartphone app allows Californians who record encounters with police to automatically submit the video to their local chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.
- DNR debuts revised app for outdoors-loving smartphone users Updated: Apr-30-15 3:36 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Outdoor enthusiasts looking for a new fishing hole or nature preserve to visit can now find it with a revised free application for their iPhones or Androids.
- LG's new G4 phones will have leather backs Updated: Apr-28-15 4:43 pm
NEW YORK - Optional leather backs and manual camera controls are two ways LG is seeking to distinguish its new G4 phone from Apple's iPhones and Samsung's Galaxy smartphones.
- South Bend panel tables cellphone ban proposal Updated: Apr-28-15 7:49 am
SOUTH BEND, Indiana - A South Bend city panel has tabled a proposal banning the use of cellphones and other handheld electronic devices while driving.
- History now blends with technology at Newport's Cliff Walk Updated: Apr-28-15 6:26 am
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - Officials say 16 new smartphone-friendly trail markers have been installed along the 3-mile long Cliff Walk in Newport.