- Apple schedules new product event for Sept. 9 Updated: Aug-27-15 3:39 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple has announced plans for a new product event on Sept. 9 in San Francisco, where the giant tech company is expected to show off new iPhones and other gadgets.
- Review: New phones, tablets keep Samsung at Android helm Updated: Aug-27-15 3:19 am
NEW YORK - Samsung's new smartphones and tablets might not offer enough to entice current iPhone and iPad users to switch, but they keep Samsung at the head of the class among Android gadget makers.
- Smartphone app identifies weeds invasive to Alaska Updated: Aug-26-15 5:43 am
KENAI, Alaska - A new smartphone application is helping researchers learn where plant species invasive to Alaska are growing.
- Tech startups want to change the way you drive Updated: Aug-25-15 12:17 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A veteran computer scientist hates sitting in his car at stop lights, so he creates software that makes the experience less annoying. A former engineering professor wants to double the range of today's electric vehicles. And an aeronautics expert believes flying cars shouldn't be science fiction.
- Gartner says smartphone sales growth slows Updated: Aug-20-15 3:01 pm
NEW YORK - Worldwide sales of smartphones in the second quarter grew at the slowest pace since 2013 as sales in China declined for the first time, according to research firm Gartner Inc.
- Pittsburgh Parking Authority approves smartphone parking app Updated: Aug-20-15 2:45 pm
PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Parking Authority board has approved a deal that will enable motorists to pay for parking meters using an app on their smartphones.
- Google expands low-cost phone program in 6 African countries Updated: Aug-18-15 7:50 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California - Google is introducing a low-priced smartphone in six African countries where most people still can't afford an Internet-connected device.
- Albuquerque may give old cell phones to shelter Updated: Aug-15-15 10:11 am
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The Albuquerque City Council is considering a proposal that would donate old city cell phones to a domestic violence shelter.
- 2 jumbo phones from Samsung ahead of expected new iPhone Updated: Aug-13-15 3:29 pm
NEW YORK - Samsung has unveiled two new Android smartphones with jumbo screens as it seeks to recapture some of the sales lost to Apple after larger iPhones came out last year.
- Review: Stand-alone gadgets trump all-in-one devices Updated: Aug-05-15 7:49 am
NEW YORK - When Apple announced new iPod music players a few weeks ago, many people asked why anyone would need iPods when smartphones can play music and more. I had that question myself - until I remembered I've been carrying an iPod almost every day, mostly for my runs.
- AT&T, as new owner of DirecTV, offers TV-wireless discount Updated: Aug-03-15 3:07 pm
NEW YORK - AT&T customers will save $10 a month and get a single bill for their TV and wireless services under a new package the company is offering after its $48.5 billion purchase of satellite TV company DirecTV 10 days ago.
- Brookings County pursuing smartphone-capable alert system Updated: Aug-02-15 9:31 am
BROOKINGS, South Dakota - Brookings County will soon have a new emergency alert system capable of sending messages to smartphones and other cellphones.
- More online, more on mobile: advertising executive to IOC Updated: Aug-02-15 5:32 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A leading advertising executive told the IOC on Sunday that the Olympic body needs to stay relevant with the younger generation and concentrate more of its content on the Internet and via mobile devices.
- Texas businessman finds cellphone that fell from plane Updated: Jul-30-15 5:31 pm
WICHITA FALLS, Texas - A Texas businessman used an app to find his iPhone in a rural pasture after it fell about 9,300 feet during a flight from Houston.