- Experimental Ebola vaccine could stop virus in West Africa Updated: Jul-31-15 11:32 am
LONDON - An experimental Ebola vaccine tested on thousands of people in Guinea seems to work and might help shut down the ongoing epidemic in West Africa, according to interim results from a study published Friday.
- Roche drug maker probed in Romania in graft case Updated: Jul-31-15 11:13 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Swiss pharmaceuticals company Roche confirms it is being investigated by anti-corruption prosecutors looking for evidence that drug companies offered doctors vacations and other incentives in exchange for prescribing cancer drugs.
- Cardiologist details troubles at Chicago-area VA hospital Updated: Jul-31-15 10:38 am
CHICAGO - A cardiologist who worked at a Chicago-area Veterans Affairs hospital says the facility had a yearlong backlog of unread heart tests.
- Amgen hikes 2015 forecast after 2Q increase in profit, sales Updated: Jul-30-15 6:55 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Amgen Inc. shares jumped in extended trading after the maker of osteoporosis drug Prolia easily beat Wall Street's second-quarter profit expectations and hiked its 2015 financial forecast.
- Brilinta? Brintellix? FDA warns of drug name mix-ups Updated: Jul-30-15 5:37 pm
NEW YORK - The Food and Drug Administration said Thursday that some doctors and pharmacies are getting confused by the similar names of an antidepressant and a blood-thinning medicine.
- Judge mulls challenge to Arizona Medicaid plan hospital fee Updated: Jul-30-15 5:03 pm
PHOENIX - A lawyer representing 36 Republican lawmakers told a judge Thursday that keeping a hospital assessment in effect to help fund the state's Medicaid expansion would gut a voter-approved law requiring a two-thirds vote for tax increases.
- Hospital manager offers rebuttal to LSU mismanagement claims Updated: Jul-30-15 4:59 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The foundation that manages LSU's Shreveport and Monroe hospitals under a privatization deal says it has sought to bring in an outside mediator to work out disputes with LSU, but the university has rejected the effort.
- Amgen tops Street 2Q forecasts Updated: Jul-30-15 4:44 pm
THOUSAND OAKS, California _ Amgen Inc. (AMGN) on Thursday reported second-quarter profit of $1.65 billion.
- About 8,000 patients at Fort Bragg clinic to be reassigned Updated: Jul-30-15 1:59 pm
FORT BRAGG, North Carolina - About a quarter of the patients at Fort Bragg's Clark Health Clinic will be reassigned to other Army clinics because of a shortage of health care providers.
- Alabama reaches $500,000 settlement in pharmaceutical probe Updated: Jul-30-15 5:05 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange says the state has reached a settlement in an investigation into allegations that a subsidiary of a pharmaceutical company improperly recalled over-the-counter drugs.
- Drug firm AstraZeneca reports slide in earnings Updated: Jul-30-15 4:10 am
LONDON - Anglo-Swedish drug firm AstraZeneca says second-quarter net income fell 12 percent to $697 million as competition from generic drug companies reduced sales.
- Sanofi reports higher profit in 2nd quarter Updated: Jul-30-15 2:46 am
PARIS - Drugmaker Sanofi has reported a sharp rise in profits in the second quarter as higher sales from its Cambridge, Massachusetts-based biotech unit Genzyme helped offset by cuts in the price of the company's diabetes treatment Lantus in the U.S.
- Connecticut hoping to stave off possible nursing home strike Updated: Jul-29-15 6:40 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's administration has been working in recent weeks to come up with a new state funding arrangement that could help fend off possible strikes at unionized nursing homes across the state.
- Coaches, doctors are top earners at University of California Updated: Jul-29-15 5:22 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The University of California had 28 employees who made more than $1 million last year - an elite group comprised of athletic coaches, doctors and hospital chief executives.
- Vertex reports 2Q loss Updated: Jul-29-15 4:55 pm
BOSTON - Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. (VRTX) on Wednesday reported a loss of $188.8 million in its second quarter.
- Insurer Anthem hikes 2015 forecast, 2Q earnings climb Updated: Jul-29-15 10:17 am
Anthem has pumped up its 2015 forecast again after earnings jumped more than 17 percent in its most recent quarter, helped by a surge in government money.
- Mylan gets European clearance in proposed Perrigo takeover Updated: Jul-29-15 10:08 am
NEW YORK - Mylan NV said Wednesday that it received European regulatory approval to move forward with its proposed buyout of Perrigo Co., which has resisted repeated overtures.
- Drugmaker GSK sees earnings growth returning in 2016 Updated: Jul-29-15 8:32 am
LONDON - Britain-based drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline has reported a drop in earnings in the first full quarter since its deal to swap some assets with Swiss rival Novartis.
- Gilead beats Street 2Q forecasts on surge in sales, profit Updated: Jul-28-15 6:49 pm
Blockbuster hepatitis C medicine Harvoni propelled Gilead Sciences Inc.'s second-quarter profit up 23 percent as total revenue for the biotech drugmaker jumped 26 percent and it raised its 2015 sales forecast for the second time. Its shares jumped in after-hours trading.
- Health care spending to accelerate, US report says Updated: Jul-28-15 4:56 pm
WASHINGTON - The nation's respite from accelerating health care costs appears to be over.
- Drugmaker Pfizer tops Street 2Q forecasts, raises forecast Updated: Jul-28-15 1:38 pm
Pfizer Inc. beat Wall Street's second-quarter expectations and raised its 2015 forecast, as soaring sales for a few key products helped inoculate the world's second-largest drugmaker against a $1 billion revenue hit from foreign exchange rates and its last wave of cheap generic competition hurting former big sellers.
- Merck tops Street 2Q forecasts despite lower sales, profit Updated: Jul-28-15 10:16 am
Merck & Co.'s second-quarter profit plunged by two-thirds, hammered by the sale of its consumer business, unfavorable currency exchange rates, lower sales of some key drugs and hefty one-time charges.
- Sentara, Va. medical group complete partnership agreement Updated: Jul-28-15 3:13 am
WOODBRIDGE, Virginia - Sentara Healthcare and Fredericksburg-based Pratt Medical Center have completed a partnership agreement.
- Hospitals sue New Jersey over Camden paramedic change Updated: Jul-27-15 6:17 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Two New Jersey hospital chains are suing the state over a New Jersey law that could result in a major change in paramedic service in Camden.
- Study sees positive gains from 2012 prescription drug law Updated: Jul-27-15 4:02 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Prescriptions for painkillers and doctor-shopping by pill seekers have decreased since Kentucky passed legislation targeting prescription drug abuse, according to a University of Kentucky study.