- Cities bear rising cost of keeping water safe to drink Updated: Sep-26-15 10:30 am
TOLEDO, Ohio - Standing at the edge of the Great Lakes, the world's largest surface source of fresh water, this city of 280,000 seems immune from the water-supply problems that bedevil other parts of the country. But even here, the promise of an endless tap can be a mirage.
- Orange County offers model for places without enough water Updated: Sep-26-15 10:04 am
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, California - Orange County's natural water supplies come from just three sources: limited rain, a single unreliable river and aquifers.
- Kansas' water conservation program draws shallow interest Updated: Sep-16-15 5:33 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - State officials with regulatory authority over Kansas' underground water resources are still looking for an individual or group willing to enter into a voluntary conservation program.
- Water district will purchase land to protect Silver Springs Updated: Sep-09-15 2:59 pm
PALATKA, Florida - A state water management district plans to purchase almost 5,000 acres around central Florida's famed Silver Springs.
- Fired regulator: Governor pushed to waive oil safeguards. Updated: Sep-04-15 3:36 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - California's top oil and gas regulators repeatedly warned Gov. Jerry Brown's senior aides in 2011 that the governor's orders to override key environmental safeguards in granting oil industry permits would violate state and federal laws protecting groundwater from contamination, one of the former officials has testified.