- Fears rise for missing in SKorea ferry sinking Updated: Apr-17-14 12:51 am
- False leads in search for missing jet Updated: Apr-14-14 11:08 am
- Jamaica reports big drop in lionfish sightings Updated: Apr-13-14 8:04 pm
- Sea turtle science & conservation conference in La Updated: Apr-12-14 11:44 am
- Lawmakers look to combat seafood fraud Updated: Apr-12-14 11:29 am
- Family saved at sea asks critics to hold judgment Updated: Apr-11-14 4:07 pm
- The Gulf of Mexico oil spill at a glance Updated: Apr-11-14 3:19 am
- Shorter red snapper season ahead for Gulf Coast Updated: Apr-10-14 7:23 pm
- Last big holdout in Toms River agrees to dunes Updated: Apr-10-14 5:55 pm
- Quincy-made sub will help in Malaysia plane search Updated: Apr-10-14 3:23 pm
- Rescue crews search ocean for missing teen Updated: Apr-10-14 12:22 am
- Alligator removed from small Wash. apartment Updated: Apr-10-14 12:11 am
- Report: Charges reduced for minivan in ocean case Updated: Apr-09-14 7:46 am
- Ocean debris left by jet depends on angle, speed Updated: Apr-08-14 7:40 pm
- Statement from coordinator of hunt for missing jet Updated: Apr-07-14 1:35 am
- Hawaii lawmakers shovel resolutions at deadline Updated: Apr-05-14 10:08 am
- Banter keeps up morale among Flight 370 searchers Updated: Apr-05-14 8:53 am
- Workshop focuses on Gulf dead zone Updated: Apr-05-14 4:23 am
- Climate change bill lays out Rhode Island response Updated: Apr-03-14 8:34 pm
- Vast ocean found beneath ice of Saturn moon Updated: Apr-03-14 2:18 pm
- Deep water search for jet could turn on robot subs Updated: Apr-02-14 10:50 am
- Rescuer of 3 children gets college scholarship. Updated: Apr-02-14 5:32 am
- Ocean garbage frustrates search for Flight 370 Updated: Mar-31-14 3:22 pm
- Seabed of jet hunt zone mostly flat with 1 trench Updated: Mar-30-14 8:31 pm
- High-tech maps show ocean floor off SC Updated: Mar-29-14 10:49 am
MOKPO, South Korea - Strong currents, rain and bad visibility hampered an increasingly anxious search Thursday for 287 passengers still missing a day after their ferry flipped onto its side and sank in cold waters off the southern coast of South Korea.
If the signals detected deep in the Indian Ocean are truly from the wreckage from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, they ultimately will close the book on a frustrating long list of false leads in the effort to find the jet. Here are the most prominent moments in which hopes of solving the tragic aviation mystery were dashed:
KINGSTON, Jamaica - Jamaica is reporting a big decline in sightings of lionfish, the voracious invasive species that has been wreaking havoc on regional reefs for years and wolfing down native juvenile fish and crustaceans.
NEW ORLEANS - A weeklong international sea turtle conference is gearing up in New Orleans.
MOUNT PLEASANT, South Carolina - When the weather warms and the South Carolina humidity hangs like a soggy blanket along the coast, you can often find an entrepreneur selling shrimp out of the back of a pickup truck by the road with a hand-scrawled sign promoting it as both fresh and local. There's a chance it's neither.
SAN DIEGO - A family lifted from a disabled sailboat hundreds of miles off the Mexican coast with their sick 1-year-old thanked rescuers and defended their "maritime life" in their first public comments since returning to land.
NEW ORLEANS - April 20 marks the fourth anniversary of an explosion on the BP-operated drilling rig Deepwater Horizon, which killed 11 workers about 50 miles off the Louisiana coast in the Gulf of Mexico and set off the nation's worst offshore oil disaster.
NEW ORLEANS - Charter boat and recreational fishermen will have only 11 days beginning June 1 to reel in red snapper from federal waters in the Gulf of Mexico this year, down from 42 last year.
TOMS RIVER, New Jersey - Few places at the Jersey shore suffered worse damage from Superstorm Sandy than Toms River, where entire neighborhoods were decimated.
QUINCY, Massachusetts - A robotic submarine built at a shipyard facility in Quincy could soon be helping in the search for Malaysian Airlines Flight 370.
SAN FRANCISCO - Rescue crews in San Francisco are still searching for a 14-year-old boy in the waters off the city's Ocean Beach after his father and cousin were saved.
OCEAN SHORES, Washington - Police in Ocean Shores, Washington, say tips led them to seize a 4-foot-long alligator they say was living in a small apartment in the coastal community.
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - Prosecutors in Daytona Beach say they've filed attempted second-degree murder and child abuse charges against a pregnant South Carolina woman who drove a minivan carrying her three small children into the Atlantic surf.
SYDNEY - Did the missing Malaysian jet plunge into the ocean at a steep angle, leaving virtually no debris on the surface? Did it come in flat, clip a wave and cartwheel into pieces? Or did it break up in midair, sending chunks tumbling down over a wide swath of water?
PERTH, Australia - The first part of the opening statement from Monday's press conference by retired Australian Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston, who is head of the joint agency coordinating the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 out of Perth, Australia:
HONOLULU - The deadline for concurrent resolutions to cross over from the House to the Senate, or vice-versa, has come and gone. That meant a flurry of hearings on concurrent resolutions - those requiring passage by both legislative chambers - during the week. More than 100 such resolutions survived crossover, while many others are now formally dead.
PERTH, Australia - After more than four hours flying over the vast, featureless Indian Ocean, the quick-fire banter of a New Zealand crew searching for signs of Flight 370 turns philosophical.
COCODRIE, Louisiana - The Coastal Waters Consortium and Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium will offer a workshop April 12 focusing on the oxygen-depleted area of the Gulf of Mexico known as the dead zone.
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island faces a serious threat from climate change but should consider it an opportunity to become a national leader on this front, the head of a legislative panel on the environment said Thursday.
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida - Scientists have uncovered a vast ocean beneath the icy surface of Saturn's little moon Enceladus.
Two miles down or more and darker than night, the ocean becomes a particularly challenging place for human searchers.
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - A 21-year-old college student is getting a scholarship for his role in rescuing three children whose mother drove their minivan into the surf off Daytona Beach.
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Sometimes the object spotted in the water is a snarled fishing line. Or a buoy. Or something that might once have been the lid to an ice box. Not once - not yet at least - has it been a clue.
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Two miles beneath the sea surface where satellites and planes are looking for debris from the missing Malaysian jet, the ocean floor is cold, dark, covered in a squishy muck of dead plankton and - in a potential break for the search - mostly flat. The troubling exception is a steep, rocky drop ending in a deep trench.
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Ask most any ocean fisherman and he will tell you he has a favorite offshore fishing spot.