- URI researchers probe subterranean life Updated: Dec-09-13 11:10 am
- LSU to lead study of Gulf monitoring system Updated: Dec-08-13 10:43 am
- Researcher studying long-term weather forecasting Updated: Dec-06-13 4:19 pm
- BP pushes technical limits to tap extreme fields Updated: Dec-05-13 11:17 am
- D'Iberville must forfeit some of Ocean Expo grant Updated: Dec-04-13 8:05 am
- 1 dead after boat capsizes in Gulf of Mexico Updated: Dec-02-13 11:52 am
- Scientists try more sophisticated salmon tagging Updated: Dec-01-13 6:40 am
- Man dies trying to save 2 swept to sea off Calif. Updated: Dec-01-13 1:58 am
- Only 1 right whale spotted in Gulf of Maine Updated: Nov-30-13 9:46 am
- Researchers say Arctic Ocean leaking methane Updated: Nov-29-13 6:16 pm
- Cuomo: Funding approved for NYC waterfront project Updated: Nov-29-13 4:59 pm
- Ore. commercial Dungeness crab season delayed Updated: Nov-22-13 11:20 pm
- Texas A&M keeps oceanographic exploration program Updated: Nov-22-13 4:17 pm
- Zooplankton decline reported in North Atlantic Updated: Nov-19-13 3:11 pm
- Newport hosting global summit for Volvo Ocean Race Updated: Nov-19-13 12:37 pm
- NY to buy homes in NYC neighborhood hit by Sandy Updated: Nov-18-13 6:55 pm
- Toxic waste declines in California ocean area Updated: Nov-18-13 1:38 pm
- NY awards $75K grant for Hudson shoreline project Updated: Nov-18-13 3:04 am
- Visit the shore and you'll find splendid isolation Updated: Nov-17-13 10:07 am
- Fire, Ocean Safety search ends for missing surfer Updated: Nov-17-13 2:53 am
- Dredge spoils may protect Delaware Bay shore areas Updated: Nov-16-13 12:35 pm
- FAA: Fla. pilot says passenger fell into ocean Updated: Nov-14-13 5:26 pm
- Calif. board delays vote on desalination plant Updated: Nov-14-13 12:40 am
- Scientists warn of hot, sour, breathless oceans Updated: Nov-13-13 7:04 pm
- Sub going to museum, but sailors stow its secrets Updated: Nov-13-13 12:59 pm
NARRAGANSETT, Rhode Island - Scientists at the University of Rhode Island are studying microbes that live deep below the surface of the earth.
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A team of researchers from the Center for Natural Resource Economics and Policy at the LSU AgCenter has received a three-year award of more than $750,000 to study the effectiveness of the environmental monitoring system in the Gulf of Mexico.
GREAT FALLS, Montana - What if decade-long cycles of wet and dry weather could be reliably predicted several years in advance?
HOUSTON - BP's strategy after the Deepwater Horizon tragedy: Go deeper.
D'IBERVILLE, Mississippi - The city of D'Iberville must return $843,000 to the state of Mississippi in unspent funds related the Ocean Expo aquarium project.
PALM HARBOR, Florida - One man died after he and a friend swam to shore when their boat capsized off Pinellas County.
RICHLAND, Washington - The behavior of young salmon does not appear to be as predictable as previously thought.
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles Port Police officials say a man died while trying to save two people who were swept into sea.
PORTLAND, MAINE - Ocean researchers say only one right whale was spotted this fall in the Gulf of Maine, indicating ocean conditions have driven the species to other feeding grounds.
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - Ounce for ounce, methane has an effect on global warming more than 30 times more potent than carbon dioxide, and it's leaking from the Arctic Ocean at an alarming rate, according to new research by scientists at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
ALBANY, New York - The federal government has approved funding to start a $50 million flood-mitigation project along the Queens waterfront to better protect Howard Beach against rising sea levels and storm surges similar to those that caused extensive damage during Superstorm Sandy, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Friday.
NEWPORT, Oregon - Oregon Fish and Wildlife officials say the commercial Dungeness crab season on the Oregon coast will be delayed through at least Dec. 15 to allow the crabs to fill with meat.
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - The National Science Board has given the go-ahead for Texas A&M University to continue managing a global oceanographic exploration program in a deal worth as much as $250 million to the school.
PORTLAND, Maine - The microscopic creatures that make up a critical link in the ocean food chain declined dramatically the first half of this year in the North Atlantic as ocean temperatures remained among the warmest on record, federal scientists say.
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - Sailing officials from six continents gathered in Newport this week to plan for next year's Volvo Ocean Race, a nine-month, 10-port circumnavigation that features Rhode Island's city-by-the-sea as its only North American stop.
NEW YORK - Residents of a flood-prone area battered by Superstorm Sandy are getting a financial lifeline, with state officials announcing a plan to buy all 129 homes in a neighborhood sandwiched between a tidal marsh and the Atlantic Ocean.
LOS ANGELES - The Environmental Protection Agency has suspended planned cleanup efforts at a California site where industrial waste on the ocean floor appears to be declining naturally.
COLD SPRING, New York - The state Department of Environmental Conservation has awarded a $75,000 grant for the design of a demonstration project aimed at making the Hudson River shoreline more resilient to sea-level rise and storm surges.
ASSATEAGUE, Maryland - Serenity. Solitude. Tranquility.
HONOLULU - Honolulu Fire Department crew members and lifeguards from Ocean Safety have concluded their search for a surfer who was last seen catching a 20-foot wave on Oahu's North Shore.
COMMERCIAL TOWNSHIP, New Jersey - Dredged bay mud and sand, once as welcome to communities as a trash dump, may be key to saving Delaware Bay beaches and wetlands from erosion and sea-level rise.
MIAMI - Rescue crews searched an area southeast of Miami on Thursday after a pilot reported to the Federal Aviation Administration that a passenger fell out of his small plane into the ocean.
NEWPORT BEACH, California - The California Coastal Commission voted Wednesday to delay a decision on allowing one of the two biggest desalination plants in the Western Hemisphere as the company looking to build it withdrew its application while it does further study on how the proposed $900 million project would operate.
WASHINGTON - Greenhouse gases are making the world's oceans hot, sour and breathless, and the way those changes work together is creating a grimmer outlook for global waters, according to a new report Wednesday from 540 international scientists.
GROTON, Connecticut - It could dive deeper than any other submarine, and when it reached the ocean floor, the one-of-a-kind Navy vessel could roll on wheels with lights illuminating the depths outside its windows.