- Staff will stay at Lake Erie Monument on Ohio island Updated: Jul-05-15 4:34 am
PUT-IN-BAY, Ohio - The National Park Service plans on keeping a full-time superintendent and staff at a Lake Erie island landmark monument.
- Patrol drops no-wake policy at the Lake of the Ozarks Updated: Jul-04-15 3:29 pm
OZARKS, Missouri - Authorities are no longer restricting boaters to operating at idle speed on the Lake of the Ozarks.
- Girl killed after being struck by jumping sturgeon in boat Updated: Jul-04-15 3:05 pm
LAKE CITY, Florida - A 5-year-old Florida girl riding in a boat has died after a sturgeon leaped from the Suwannee River and struck her.
- Girl killed after being struck by jumping sturgeon in boat Updated: Jul-04-15 1:50 pm
LAKE CITY, Florida - A 5-year-old Florida girl died after a sturgeon leaped into her boat along the Suwannee River and struck her.
- Kilauea Volcano lava lake level drops Updated: Jul-04-15 1:40 pm
KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii - The level of the lava lake atop Kilauea Volcano has dropped.
- Iowa officials warn boaters of hazards in Coralville Lake Updated: Jul-04-15 1:11 pm
CORALVILLE, Iowa - The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is warning boaters to look out for hazards in Coralville Lake.
- Crews working wildfires in southern Nevada, near Lake Tahoe Updated: Jul-03-15 4:55 pm
LAS VEGAS - Fire crews are making progress on a dozen small wildfires in southern Nevada, with an end likely in sight for the fire south of Lake Tahoe near the California border that has been burning for weeks.
- Port Board approves stevedore license Updated: Jul-03-15 4:44 pm
LAKE CHARLES, Louisiana - Lake Charles Port Board has approved a stevedore license for New Orleans-based Coastal Cargo.
- New York agency issues permits for removing invasive species Updated: Jul-03-15 2:00 pm
ALBANY, New York - The Adirondack Park Agency has approved two general permits for removing non-native plants and animals from the 6 million acres of state forests and wilderness and privately owned land in northern New York.
- Officials issue blue-green algae warning for 6 Kansas lakes Updated: Jul-03-15 4:56 am
WICHITA, Kansas - The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has issued a warning of high levels of toxic blue-green algae for six lakes.
- 'No-wake' policy in effect at Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks Updated: Jul-02-15 6:03 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon has implemented a "no-wake" policy at the Lake of the Ozarks after heavy rains raised the water levels.
- State will discontinue filling grayling in Alaska lakes Updated: Jul-02-15 2:55 pm
FAIRBANKS, Alaska - Funding cuts have forced Alaska hatcheries to stop raising Arctic grayling.
- State to block boats from Ohio's Buckeye Lake for fireworks Updated: Jul-02-15 2:49 pm
BUCKEYE LAKE, Ohio - Public boat ramps at Ohio's Buckeye Lake will be closed for Fourth of July fireworks to ensure people don't get stuck in shallow water in their boats while watching the show.
- Canadian government protects large area of Lake Superior Updated: Jul-02-15 11:54 am
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - About half of the Lake Superior waters and much of the shoreline belonging to the Canadian government are now under the country's highest level of federal protection.
- Pennsylvania man, dog drown when SUV overturns in lake Updated: Jul-02-15 8:55 am
LINESVILLE, Pennsylvania - A coroner says a man and his dog drowned when a sport-utility vehicle overturned on a narrow road and wound up upside down in a northwestern Pennsylvania lake.
- Roswell man volunteers over 15,000 hours for wildlife refuge Updated: Jul-02-15 2:09 am
ROSWELL, New Mexico - Jim Montgomery has volunteered over 15,000 hours over the past 30 years for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Bitter Lake National Wildlife Refuge. In 1985, he began to do some volunteer work at the wildlife refuge but it wasn't until 1989 that he really became involved.
- Troublesome zebra mussels found in Wellington lake Updated: Jul-01-15 7:35 pm
WELLINGTON, Kansas - Wildlife officials say troublesome zebra mussels have been found in a lake in south-central Kansas.
- North Las Vegas says no polluted water leaks after EPA order Updated: Jul-01-15 6:42 pm
LAS VEGAS - North Las Vegas has been ordered by the Environmental Protection Agency to address water pollution violations, although the suburb said it doesn't believe there's been a leak into the water supply at Lake Mead.
- Bill allows sale of 2nd Ohio prison to private operator Updated: Jul-01-15 4:06 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The state can sell a central Ohio prison to a private company under a bill on the way to Gov. John Kasich, creating the second privately owned and operated correctional institution in the state.
- Father, son found dead in vehicle in Saline County river Updated: Jun-30-15 7:50 pm
BENTON, Arkansas - Saline County authorities are investigating the deaths of a man and his son who were found in a partially-submerged vehicle in the Saline River near Lake Norrell.
- Remains of schooner raised from Lake Champlain back to Navy Updated: Jun-30-15 6:20 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The remains of a Revolutionary War battleship that burned and sank as the Americans and British struggled for control of Lake Champlain will be in the hands of the U.S. Navy in time for the Fourth of July.
- Resort tax to jump by 1 percentage point in Whitefish Updated: Jun-30-15 4:31 pm
KALISPELL, Montana - Visitors to a northern Montana ski destination are going to be paying a little more for lodging and other items Wednesday when its resort tax increases.
- DNR seeks help gathering info on spread of aquatic species Updated: Jun-29-15 4:08 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana Department of Natural Resources is seeking volunteers to help gather information on the spread of aquatic species in select northern Indiana lakes.
- Scuba diving in Montana reveals underwater frontier Updated: Jun-27-15 5:13 pm
MARION, Montana - The calm evening sheen of McGregor Lake filled the backdrop as Mike Ferda climbed into a burly waterproof suit bristling with hoses and valves. Before strapping on a 30-pound oxygen tank and pulling on his mask, he spit in the lenses.
- 27-year-old man drowns at the Lake of the Ozarks Updated: Jun-27-15 3:35 pm
SUNRISE BEACH, Missouri - A 27-year-old man has drowned while swimming at the Lake of the Ozarks.