- U of Illinois union to start 5-day strike Thursday morning Updated: Apr-28-16 8:17 am
URBANA, Illinois - A faculty union at the University of Illinois' Champaign-Urbana campus plans a five-day strike after contract talks with the school Wednesday ended without a settlement.
- Hundreds of flights canceled in Germany amid strikes Updated: Apr-27-16 4:21 am
BERLIN - Hundreds of flights have been canceled in Germany after government workers started short-term strikes affecting eight cities' airports ahead of a new round of wage negotiations.
- Labor board asks judge for injunction in Chicago school case Updated: Apr-22-16 11:11 am
CHICAGO - Illinois state labor officials have asked a judge for a temporary injunction against strikes like the one the Chicago Teachers Union had April 1.
- Verizon meets 1Q profit forecasts on seasonally weak quarter Updated: Apr-21-16 12:28 pm
NEW YORK - Verizon Communications Inc. on Thursday reported a 2.2 percent rise in its first-quarter profit, matching Wall Street expectations as the company dealt with seasonally low volume.
- The Latest: Illinois teachers call for graduated tax, budget Updated: Apr-20-16 9:48 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Latest on school funding in Illinois and Chicago Public Schools' contract negotiations (all times local):
- Hungarian teachers strike against government, demand reforms Updated: Apr-20-16 9:04 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Thousands of teachers in Hungary held a one-day strike on Wednesday against Prime Minister Viktor Orban's centralization of the education system.
- Kuwait oil unions end 3-day strike over government cutbacks Updated: Apr-20-16 6:13 am
KUWAIT CITY - Oil unions in Kuwait ended a three-day strike over government cutbacks, authorities said Wednesday, though it remained unclear what concessions may have been granted to the workers amid low global crude prices.
- Board votes to fire Texas teacher accused of hitting student Updated: Apr-19-16 8:31 pm
BEAUMONT, Texas - A Southeast Texas school board has voted to fire a high school teacher who was arrested on an assault charge after a video surfaced that the district says shows her repeatedly striking a student in her class.
- Striking Highlands School District teachers return to work Updated: Apr-19-16 6:06 am
NATRONA HEIGHTS, Pennsylvania - Teachers in a western Pennsylvania school district are returning to their classrooms nearly a week after they went out on strike.
- Chicago union says clock has started toward teachers' strike Updated: Apr-17-16 1:34 am
CHICAGO - The Chicago Teachers Union said on Saturday the countdown toward a possible strike had begun after it rejected the recommendation of a neutral arbitrator that it accept a contract offer from the nation's third-largest school system.
- Fan hit by foul ball at Tampa Bay game in stable condition Updated: Apr-16-16 2:07 pm
- Judge limits picketing by striking Verizon workers Updated: Apr-14-16 5:48 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A judge has established rules for picketing by striking Verizon workers in Pennsylvania.
- Sanders cheers strikers as 39K Verizon workers walk out Updated: Apr-13-16 7:50 pm
NEW YORK - Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders cheered on striking Verizon workers Wednesday after 39,000 landline and cable employees walked off the job.
- The Latest: Bernie Sanders joins Verizon picket line in NYC Updated: Apr-13-16 12:25 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on a strike by tens of thousands of Verizon landline and cable workers whose contract expired in August (all times local):
- Oklahoma Supreme Court strikes down workers' comp rule Updated: Apr-12-16 8:14 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Supreme Court on Tuesday struck down part of the state's workers' compensation law, saying the provisions deprived workers of their due process rights and created a subclass of workers.
- Air traffic controllers' strike paralyzes Brussels airport Updated: Apr-12-16 11:56 am
BRUSSELS - A wildcat strike of air traffic controllers has paralyzed Brussels airport after their guild rejected a compromise aimed at solving a conflict over a pension reform.
- Bart, unions reach tentative 4-year contract extension Updated: Apr-11-16 9:37 pm
OAKLAND, California - The Bay Area Rapid Transit and three of its major unions reached a four-year contract extension that includes raises and avoids strikes like those that frustrated commuters in 2013, officials announced Monday.
- Kuwait oil workers union threatens strike over benefits cut Updated: Apr-11-16 2:51 pm
KUWAIT CITY - A union in Kuwait says employees in six oil and petrochemical companies will go on strike next Sunday over their salaries and benefits unless the country's Oil Ministry agrees to their demands.
- Turkish airstrikes empty dozens of villages in northern Iraq Updated: Apr-10-16 10:58 am
MERGA, Iraq - Dozens of villages have been abandoned and hundreds of families displaced close to Iraq's northern border with Turkey as a result of Turkish airstrikes targeting militants from the Kurdistan Workers' Party, better known as the PKK.
- Faculty union decides against strike this academic year Updated: Apr-09-16 4:29 pm
STATE COLLEGE, Pennsylvania - The union representing faculty and coaches at Pennsylvania's 14 state-owned universities says members have decided against a walkout before the academic year ends next month.
- Video shows Texas teacher repeatedly striking student Updated: Apr-09-16 12:02 pm
BEAUMONT, Texas - A high school teacher in Southeast Texas has been arrested on an assault charge after a video surfaced showing her repeatedly striking a student in her class.
- School officials say 250 union members worked during strike Updated: Apr-08-16 10:49 pm
CHICAGO - Chicago Public Schools officials say 247 members of the Chicago Teachers Union reported for work on April 1, the day teachers walked out classrooms to highlight funding woes.
- Judge strikes down many worker rules at Quicken as too broad Updated: Apr-08-16 7:31 pm
DETROIT - An administrative law judge says Quicken Loans and five affiliated companies must change rules that restrict what workers can say, how they should dress and what they should display at their desk.
- Deal that averted strike calls for 10.5 percent raises Updated: Apr-08-16 3:30 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A salary agreement that forestalled an unprecedented faculty strike at the California State University's 23 campuses would increase salaries by 10.5 percent over three years and double how long it takes newly hired instructors to be eligible for retirement benefits, university and union officials said Friday.
- The Latest: California faculty strike averted; raise in deal Updated: Apr-08-16 1:25 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The Latest on talks between California State University and the union that represents faculty members (all times local):