- Rauner vetoes strike and lockout ban as union OKs extension Updated: Jul-29-15 7:40 pm
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - Even as Illinois and the union that represents most of its employees agreed to a short-term deal Wednesday to keep workers on the job through contract negotiations, Gov. Bruce Rauner vetoed union-backed legislation that would have blocked strikes and lockouts.
- Connecticut hoping to stave off possible nursing home strike Updated: Jul-29-15 6:40 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's administration has been working in recent weeks to come up with a new state funding arrangement that could help fend off possible strikes at unionized nursing homes across the state.
- Report: Illinois retirees contacted about working if strike Updated: Jul-27-15 2:25 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner's administration has been contacting retired state employees to determine if they're willing to come back on short-term contracts in case of a workers' strike, according to a published report.
- Teachers in Chile vote to end 7-week strike Updated: Jul-27-15 12:49 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Thousands of teachers in Chile are ending one of their longest strikes in decades, which protested a bill in Congress that would tie pay to performance.
- Verizon workers vote to authorize strike, if necessary Updated: Jul-25-15 11:50 pm
NEW YORK - Verizon workers in nine states have voted to go on strike if necessary over a dispute about a new contract, a union official said at a rally Saturday.
- Strikes, labor slowdowns add up to summer of woe in Italy Updated: Jul-24-15 2:03 pm
ROME - Italy's summer of woe got worse Friday with one strike at Pompeii that left lines of tourists baking in the sun outside the World Heritage archaeological site and another at Alitalia that left passengers scrambling to rebook cancelled flights.
- Walkout at 2 NYC airports called off after deal reached Updated: Jul-22-15 3:34 pm
NEW YORK - A walkout among some baggage handlers, security guards and other workers at New York's two major airports was averted after the subcontractor they work for and the union that seeks to represent them reached a deal Wednesday.
- Walkout at 2 NYC airports called off after deal reached Updated: Jul-22-15 2:45 pm
NEW YORK - A walkout among some baggage handlers, security guards and other workers at New York's two major airports has been averted after the subcontractor they work for reached a deal with the union that seeks to represent them.
- 1,000 NYC airport workers set to strike starting Wednesday Updated: Jul-21-15 5:06 pm
NEW YORK - More than 1,000 subcontracted airport security officers, baggage handlers and wheelchair attendants at the city's two major airports plan to strike starting Wednesday night, according to a union that seeks to represent them.
- Ambulance paramedics may go on strike Updated: Jul-21-15 12:28 pm
ST. GEORGE, Utah - Paramedics with the state's largest private ambulance company may go on strike, and St. George area officials are worried about the potential impact on patients.
- Striking French ferry workers snarl Eurotunnel entrance Updated: Jul-21-15 6:58 am
PARIS - Striking French ferry workers are blocking access to the loading terminal for the Eurotunnel that links France and England, delaying cargo and passengers hoping to cross the English Channel.
- Electrical workers at Verizon in Mass., RI authorize strike Updated: Jul-17-15 11:07 pm
BOSTON - Union officials say a group of Verizon employees in Massachusetts and Rhode Island have voted to authorize a strike if union negotiators determine one is necessary after their contract expires Aug. 1.
- Union authorizes strike against Trump Taj Mahal Updated: Jul-17-15 6:08 pm
Workers at Trump Taj Mahal have authorized a strike against the troubled Atlantic City casino as they await a federal appeals court ruling on whether the casino must restore health insurance and pension benefits that it scrapped last year.
- UK officials say British pilots have conducted Syria strikes Updated: Jul-17-15 6:17 am
LONDON - British pilots have conducted air strikes on targets in Syria while embedded with other military forces fighting the Islamic State group, Britain's Ministry of Defense said Friday.
- Bangor nurses back at work after parties avert strike Updated: Jul-13-15 1:17 pm
BANGOR, Maine - Nurses who were on the verge of striking at Eastern Maine Medical Center are at work after their union ratified an agreement on a new three-year contract.
- NJ Transit engineers vote to strike, if needed Updated: Jul-09-15 6:26 am
NEWARK, New Jersey - New Jersey Transit engineers have voted to strike if their contract dispute is not resolved.
- Commuters brace for chaos as strike shuts London Underground Updated: Jul-08-15 12:23 pm
LONDON - Many London commuters left work early Wednesday to beat the start of a strike that's expected to shut down the city's subway system.
- Richmond sanitation workers end brief strike Updated: Jul-07-15 1:17 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Richmond sanitation workers have ended a brief strike over pay and benefits.
- Federal training center in Artesia hiring amid strike Updated: Jul-03-15 6:50 pm
ARTESIA, New Mexico - A company contracted to maintain the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Artesia is seeking to replace 50 striking workers.