- Fast response, wary public keeping Alaska wildfires down Updated: May-24-15 7:50 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A rapid and aggressive response to the start of Alaska wildfire season has keep burned acreage to a minimum despite persistent hot and dry weather that has keep underbrush from turning green in much of the state.
- Flash floods in Texas, Oklahoma kill 2; 100s of homes gone Updated: May-24-15 7:20 pm
SAN MARCOS, Texas - Record rainfall was wreaking havoc across a swath of Texas and the Midwest on Sunday, causing flash floods in normally dry riverbeds, spawning tornadoes and forcing at least 2,000 people to flee.
- Thousands lose power in Louisiana, Mississippi, storms Updated: May-24-15 6:37 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Thunderstorms have knocked out power to about 4,400 homes and businesses in Louisiana and 3,900 in Mississippi.
- Thunderstorm warning, tornado watch in effect in Arkansas Updated: May-24-15 5:37 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A severe thunderstorm warning is in effect for parts of western, central and southern Arkansas as heavy rain moves into the area.
- The Latest on flooding: Tornado struck Houston apartments Updated: May-24-15 3:28 pm
- Saved from Sandy: Shorebird efforts are declared a success Updated: May-24-15 3:21 pm
MIDDLE TOWNSHIP, New Jersey - A crash program to restore New Jersey bay and ocean beaches wrecked by Superstorm Sandy appears to have succeeded in saving tens of thousands of shorebirds that otherwise might have died after the 2012 storm wiped out their feeding grounds.
- Steady rain swelling Missouri, Kansas streams, rivers Updated: May-24-15 3:16 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Heavy storms across Missouri and Kansas have been pushing streams and rivers out of their banks, and forecasters say more rain is likely this week.
- Mandatory evacuation notice issued for part of Sterling Updated: May-24-15 2:53 pm
STERLING, Colorado - A mandatory evacuation order was issued Sunday for residents in the Globe Meadows area after the North Sterling Reservoir inlet ditch spilled over its banks following weeks of heavy rains that left many places in Colorado soggy over the Memorial Day weekend.
- Ky. county hit by tornado in legal fight with company Updated: May-24-15 1:50 pm
WEST LIBERTY, Kentucky - An eastern Kentucky county ravaged by a 2012 tornado is being sued for nearly $1 million by a Lexington company that provided rented trailers, generators, all-terrain vehicles and other equipment after the deadly twister hit.
- Moore residents still recover 2 years after deadly tornado Updated: May-24-15 1:32 pm
MOORE, Oklahoma - Two years after a massive tornado destroyed homes and businesses in Moore, residents are still recovering.
- Firefighter dies after being swept away in floodwaters Updated: May-24-15 1:06 pm
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma - Authorities say a Claremore firefighter has died after being swept away by floodwaters while assisting in a water rescue from residences.
- Flash flood warnings in effect for eastern Oklahoma Updated: May-24-15 11:32 am
TULSA, Oklahoma - Flash flood warnings are in effect in nine eastern Oklahoma counties as a large area of thunderstorms moves into the area.
- Why Georgetown students want to eat dinner with strangers Updated: May-24-15 9:32 am
WASHINGTON - It's hard to say what was more uncomfortable at the beginning - the silences, or the halting small talk people tried to make, about hometowns and the storm that was about to hit. Six strangers had gathered around a table at a Georgetown senior's apartment, invited by an anonymous person (or maybe people?) and they didn't know what to expect.
- Residents along Blanco River in Texas urged to evacuate Updated: May-24-15 5:22 am
WIMBERLEY, Texas - Authorities say they are urging residents in a small Central Texas community to evacuate as the nearby Blanco River continues to rise and cause flooding.
- Storm forecast prompts Arlington Heights to call off parade Updated: May-24-15 5:05 am
ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Illinois - Arlington Heights has canceled one of the Chicago area's biggest Memorial Day parades because of forecasts showing a strong possibility of thunderstorms for Illinois on Monday.
- 52 dead in China floods, including 2 kids on overloaded bus Updated: May-24-15 2:31 am
BEIJING - The death toll in China's latest round of flooding has risen to at least 52, including two schoolchildren aboard a bus carrying more than twice its authorized passenger load that plunged into a pond, authorities said.
- Thousands evacuated in Nepal after landslide blocks river Updated: May-24-15 12:34 am
KATHMANDU, Nepal - Thousands of people fled villages and towns along a mountain river in northwest Nepal on Sunday after it was blocked by a landslide that could burst and cause flash floods, officials said.
- Tornado warning issued for part of Grady County Updated: May-23-15 6:35 pm
CHICKASHA, Oklahoma - The National Weather Service has issued a tornado warning for northwestern Grady County in central Oklahoma.
- Western Montana's river lovers brace for early runoff Updated: May-23-15 5:28 pm
MISSOULA, Montana - Rivers throughout western Montana could get lower than normal this summer, as an unusually low snowpack has melted away two or three weeks earlier than usual.
- May showers do little for severe drought in Four Corners Updated: May-23-15 5:10 pm
FARMINGTON, New Mexico - Recent storms have made little dent in the drought affecting the Four Corners region, forecasters said this week.
- Southeast India heat wave kills about 230 in past 5 weeks Updated: May-23-15 11:20 am
HYDERABAD, India - About 230 people have died since mid-April in a heat wave sweeping two southeast Indian states, officials said Saturday.
- Holiday weekend warning: Use caution to avoid wildfires Updated: May-23-15 4:05 am
LANSING, Michigan - With plenty of sunshine in the Memorial Day weekend forecast, state officials are urging people to be mindful of fire danger.
- State agrees to pay $7.6M to firm that handled Sandy program Updated: May-22-15 7:25 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Republican Gov. Chris Christie's administration has reached a deal to pay $7.6 million to a firm the state contracted to help handle applications for its Superstorm Sandy housing recovery program.
- Threat of storms means early 3-somes Saturday at Colonial Updated: May-22-15 4:05 pm
FORT WORTH, Texas - The leaders at Colonial won't get to sleep late Saturday.
- Meteorologists issue freeze warning for eastern Vermont Updated: May-22-15 3:40 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Gardeners be forewarned: the National Weather Service has issued freeze warnings and frost advisories for Vermont.