- Sanders outlines plan to overhaul immigration laws Updated: Nov-24-15 5:52 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders vowed Tuesday to create a "humane" immigration system and said if elected he would expand upon President Barack Obama's executive actions within the first 100 days of assuming the presidency.
- Prince William officials order audit of immigration policy Updated: Nov-21-15 6:17 pm
MANASSAS, Virginia - Prince William County officials have ordered an audit to make sure the police department is following the county's longstanding policy of reporting all people found to be in the country illegally to federal authorities.
- Reno rally against Laxalt, for Obama immigration policy Updated: Nov-20-15 7:19 pm
RENO, Nevada - Two dozen activists rallied in downtown Reno in support of the Obama administration's immigration policies and against Nevada Attorney General Adam Laxalt's support for a lawsuit intended to force deportation of millions of immigrants living in the country illegally.
- Appeals court delivers setback to Obama's immigration plan Updated: Nov-10-15 8:52 am
NEW ORLEANS - A federal appeals court has ruled against President Barack Obama's plan to protect an estimated 5 million people living in the United States illegally from deportation.
- Lawsuit aims to reinstate driver cards law dumped by voters Updated: Nov-04-15 7:26 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - An Oregon nonprofit filed a lawsuit Wednesday seeking to reinstate a state law that would have allowed people to get driver's cards if they can't prove they are in the U.S. legally.
- Rubio, Ryan back off comprehensive immigration overhaul Updated: Nov-04-15 5:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Two of the Republican Party's rising young stars - House Speaker Paul Ryan and presidential hopeful Marco Rubio - made similar calculations on the way to political advancement: Both abandoned efforts to pass a comprehensive immigration overhaul.
- Embattled San Francisco sheriff loses re-election bid Updated: Nov-04-15 2:31 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A San Francisco sheriff caught up in a national debate on immigration reform has lost his bid for re-election by a wide-margin.
- SF voters reject 2 measures prompted by housing crisis Updated: Nov-04-15 1:17 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The latest on Election Day in San Francisco as voters decide on a mayor and sheriff. Also on the ballot are measures to restrict Airbnb and other home-share platforms, and impose a temporary freeze on luxury housing in the city's Mission District. (All times local)
- GOP lawmaker eyes Utah driver's license model for New Mexico Updated: Nov-03-15 6:04 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A Republican lawmaker who has previously sought to repeal New Mexico's immigrant driver's license law said he will propose a bill next session modeled after one in Utah that allows foreign nationals to have "driving privilege cards."
- No end in sight to GOP primary drama a year from election Updated: Nov-03-15 4:17 am
WASHINGTON - After a devastating loss in the 2012 presidential election, the Republican Party entered a period of intense self-reflection and emerged with a firm promise to learn from its mistakes.
- REAL ID move puts focus on New Mexico driver's licenses law Updated: Nov-02-15 6:24 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The federal government's decision to deny New Mexico an extension from tougher federal requirements on state driver's licenses is putting New Mexico's ID law back in the public eye.
- White House calls Ryan's immigration remarks 'preposterous' Updated: Nov-02-15 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House on Monday accused new House Speaker Paul Ryan of "pandering to the extreme right wing" of his party on immigration.
- Fallout continues from Alabama's immigration law Updated: Nov-02-15 9:45 am
DECATUR, Alabama - Decatur resident Francisco Hernandez owns a business, helps with charities and won an award at last month's Diversity Summit.
- Ryan: No comprehensive immigration overhaul with Obama Updated: Nov-01-15 4:02 pm
WASHINGTON - House Speaker Paul Ryan on Sunday ruled out a comprehensive overhaul of the immigration system while President Barack Obama is in office.
- Immigrant sanctuary plays role in San Francisco sheriff race Updated: Oct-31-15 11:45 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The immigration debate is front and center in the San Francisco sheriff's race following a killing in which a Mexican man in the country illegally has been charged.
- 6 protesters of new North Carolina immigration law arrested Updated: Oct-29-15 8:49 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Six people were led away late Thursday by Raleigh police after they blocked vehicle rush-hour traffic in front of North Carolina's Executive Mansion to protest a bill signed by Gov. Pat McCrory addressing immigration identification and sanctuary cities.
- Appeals court rules more immigrants should get bond hearings Updated: Oct-28-15 5:39 pm
PASADENA, California - A federal appeals court in California ruled Wednesday that more immigrants in detention should get bond hearings and those held more than a year should get additional hearings.
- Plan to ask immigration status at health checks criticized Updated: Oct-28-15 5:16 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - Kansas health officials raised concerns about a proposal from a top official of the state's second most populous county to ask about the immigration status of people seeking immunizations and disease screenings at the county health department clinics, fearing such a move would discourage immigrants from seeking help and jeopardize public health.