- Woman gets 30 months for tax-fraud scheme hatched in prison Updated: May-30-15 12:22 pm
TACOMA, Washington - A 45-year-old woman who used a prison pen pal program to steal identities and file fraudulent tax returns has been sentenced to 30 months in prison.
- Oxnard couple arrested in identity theft case Updated: May-29-15 7:59 am
OXNARD, California - Oxnard police have arrested a married couple after investigating them in connection with a case of identity theft.
- FBI says it's investigating identity theft at IRS Updated: May-28-15 11:32 am
WASHINGTON - The FBI says it's begun an investigation into the theft of personal tax information of more than 100,000 taxpayers from an Internal Revenue Service website.
- 2 Waterbury men sentenced for similar identity thefts Updated: May-28-15 4:53 am
WATERBURY, Connecticut - Two Waterbury men have been sentenced in separate identity theft cases.
- Portland woman: 2 years for fictional federal tax returns Updated: May-28-15 12:47 am
PORTLAND, Oregon - Federal prosecutors say a 51-year-old Portland woman filed hundreds of fictional federal tax returns in the names of others, seeking refunds of $1.1 million and collecting nearly $960,000 from the U.S. Treasury in unwarranted refunds.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: May-26-15 11:06 pm
The Latest on weather: Third body pulled from swollen Blanco River; Texas death toll now 13
- NY senator backs legislation to combat child ID theft Updated: May-24-15 12:58 pm
NEW YORK - Sen. Charles Schumer is proposing a measure to fight what he calls the growing trend of child ID theft.
- Ex-president of classic car firm facing ID theft charges Updated: May-23-15 3:58 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - The former president of a Charlotte-based classic car dealership is set to be sentenced next month after reaching a plea deal on federal mail fraud and identity-theft charges.
- Postal worker charged after fake tax return sting Updated: May-22-15 5:22 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Federal prosecutors say a former postal worker has been charged with stealing personal information after a sting operation targeting fake tax returns.
- Woman faces identity theft charge Updated: May-20-15 7:37 am
RALEIGH, Mississippi - A Jasper County resident is facing charges of identity theft in Smith County.
- Former state employee sentenced to 7 years in prison Updated: May-20-15 4:40 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A Phenix City woman and former state worker who stole identities from two state agencies has been sentenced to more than seven years in prison and must pay more than $3 million in restitution.
- Ex-comptroller of Albuquerque company pleads guilty to fraud Updated: May-19-15 4:23 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The former comptroller of an Albuquerque construction company has pleaded guilty to fraud and identity theft charges.
- Woman sentenced to 4 years in prison for stealing mail Updated: May-18-15 6:41 pm
SEATTLE - A woman caught with hundreds of stolen checks and IDs for more than 380 victims has been sent to prison for four years.
- Authorities stop ID theft scheme that operated in 31 states Updated: May-15-15 1:10 pm
MINEOLA, New York - A New York arrest has halted a scheme that plundered the identities of hundreds of people, including the dead and disabled, in 31 states, authorities said Friday.
- Police: Pennsylvania officer's maid stole, pawned jewelry Updated: May-13-15 8:06 am
POCONO PINES, Pennsylvania - A police officer's maid is facing charges that she stole $7,000 worth of jewelry from his northeastern Pennsylvania home and pawned it.
- Man pleads guilty to filing false income tax claims Updated: May-11-15 6:32 pm
WASHINGTON - A North Carolina man has pleaded guilty in federal court to charges of conspiracy to file false claims and identity theft.
- Florida school band director charged in ID theft, fraud Updated: May-11-15 3:28 am
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - A South Florida school band director is facing federal charges in what prosecutors say was an identity theft and tax fraud scheme involving some stolen student records.
- Greenbrier man allegedly used another identity for 20 years Updated: May-09-15 7:44 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A Greenbrier man has been indicted on charges of using another man's identity for the past 20 years.
- Florence man accused of stealing from 2 elementary schools Updated: May-08-15 4:20 pm
FLORENCE, Arizona - Authorities say Florence man is accused of breaking into classrooms and stealing cash and credit cards at two San Tan Valley elementary schools.
- Auburn woman sentenced to 2 months for stealing from UPS Updated: May-08-15 12:59 pm
LACEY, Washington - An Auburn woman who was arrested after stealing from UPS drop boxes was sentenced to two months in jail.
- 1 alleged ringleader in cable TV ID theft turns self in Updated: May-07-15 7:10 pm
SHREVEPORT, Louisiana - One of the 11 people accused in a cable TV ID theft case is in a New York State jail, and one of the two alleged ringleaders has surrendered in Caddo Parish, the Caddo Parish sheriff's spokeswoman says.
- Army private accused of stealing fellow soldiers' identities Updated: May-07-15 4:52 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A former Army private stationed at Fort Riley is accused of stealing his fellow soldiers' identities and obtaining credit in their names.
- Texan who ran law firms charged with fraud, identity theft Updated: May-07-15 8:10 am
SAN ANTONIO - A San Antonio man who ran law firms in Texas, Arkansas and New Mexico has been accused of stealing settlement money and identity theft.
- Illinois woman accused of stealing boss's identity Updated: May-03-15 5:04 am
URBANA, Illinois - A central Illinois woman is accused of stealing her boss's identity to obtain credit.
- Alabama deputy revenue commissioner experiences tax ID theft Updated: May-02-15 10:40 am
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Joe Garrett is proof anyone can fall victim to tax identity theft: he works for the Alabama Department of Revenue as a deputy commissioner.