- NY Gov. Cuomo warns holiday shoppers about identity theft Updated: Nov-26-15 9:08 am
ALBANY, New York - With the return of the holiday shopping season New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is warning consumers to be on the look-out for charity scams, identity theft and offers that are just too good to be true.
- North Texas tax preparer gets 11 years for fraud, ID theft Updated: Nov-24-15 3:24 pm
DALLAS - A North Texas tax preparer with a history of submitting bogus returns must serve 11 years in prison and repay nearly $2.3 million in an identity theft scam.
- Police offer tips to avoid pickpockets, other thieves Updated: Nov-24-15 4:00 am
CHICAGO - Chicago police are urging holiday shoppers to be extra cautious to avoid criminals.
- Alabama woman sentenced to over 7 years in tax fraud scheme Updated: Nov-23-15 4:06 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Federal prosecutors say a woman who helped file for more than $20 million in fraudulent tax returns has been sentenced to prison.
- Irondale man gets 7 years for stealing, identity theft Updated: Nov-20-15 2:40 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - An Irondale man has been sentenced to seven years in prison for identity theft and stealing about $1.7 million in U.S. Treasury checks.
- Jail inmate accused of trying to steal cellmate's identity Updated: Nov-09-15 4:19 pm
WILMINGTON, North Carolina - Authorities in Wilmington say a man in custody on drug charges is in more trouble after police say he tried to impersonate his cellmate and get out of jail.
- Cab driver tried to steal identity with customer's IDs Updated: Nov-09-15 7:11 am
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - A Springfield cab driver has been charged with identity theft after using a customer's ID cards to open a phony bank account.
- 6 indicted in Las Vegas in dead people tax refund case Updated: Nov-06-15 5:20 pm
LAS VEGAS - Federal prosecutors in Nevada say five Las Vegas-area residents and one from Kansas are accused of using identities of dead people to obtain some $2.7 million in fraudulent tax refunds.
- 2 Prescott Valley residents arrested in identity theft case Updated: Nov-04-15 5:01 am
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Arizona - Two residents of Prescott Valley are in custody in connection with a series of identity thefts in the area.
- Man says identity theft led to wrongful criminal record Updated: Nov-03-15 3:06 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - An Indianapolis man says another man stole his identity and used it with police while committing misdemeanor crimes.
- After woes caused by ID theft, man hopes to reclaim name Updated: Oct-31-15 10:57 am
WICHITA, Kansas - The decades-long nightmare that ruined Marcus Calvillo's life started when he was a teenager and was wrongly accused of writing bad checks. His driver's license was later revoked for a slew of unpaid traffic tickets he never received. Then he got fired from his job as a cable installer, being told only, "You know what you did."
- 5 plead not guilty in Gulf oil spill fraud case; 2 absent Updated: Oct-29-15 5:29 pm
GULFPORT, Mississippi - The latest on the criminal charges brought against a Texas lawyer in connection with 2010 Gulf oil spill claims (all times local):
- 2 ex-Tampa police detectives indicted on tax fraud charges Updated: Oct-28-15 4:47 pm
TAMPA, Florida - Two former Tampa police detectives turned themselves in Wednesday to face tax fraud charges, a day after an indictment alleged that thousands of dollars in fraudulent tax refund money was used to pay credit card expenses and other bills for the couple.